Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: IORR policy and closed/deleted threads
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 4, 2022 18:39

Barkerboy2
bv
People do post in old threads all the time. Then I have to delete the new comments, and close the thread, in order to avoid confusion.

No worries, no need to say sorry or excuse me, it's just a matter of keeping the number of old threads with "new life" down.

If you meet a person on the street, and this person ask a question, then 1, 2 or 5 years later, you meet this person again, and you answer that old question, and then just leave, that other person would be confused, right?

Same with "Have you been playing Blue and Lonesome lately", long time after, quoting a comment given 1-2 years ago, and so on.

It simply makes life easier and IORR easier to navigate if talks are done in "living threads".

The only way to dig out and comment in an old thread here is to search, so before you post in a thread you have searched for, check if it is old.

Thank you BV - that makes a lot of sense! smiling smiley

Does it make a lot of sense? Meeting somebody on the street after two years and answering and old question is totally different from digging out an old thread and answering an old question.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 4, 2022 18:49

That problem is easily fixed though: Start a new thread with a slightly different headline and put a reference (link) to the old thread in the new one.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 4, 2022 19:26

Politics and religion is not allowed on IORR. Same with propaganda and falsified statements. The reason is easy to understand:

I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO MODERATE!

Remember every single thread need moderation. Every thread. Most of them live a normal life, no need for a babysitter. Then some times threads are hijacked by propaganda, completely off topic. I see it, some times after a day, some times after an hour. Some times it takes 2-3 hours for me, of my spare time, to remove offensive and highly off topic posts, quotes and comments. These are scaring people, and they make fights.

There are wars and fights all over the world. Luckily the number of wars is going down year by year, as far as I know. People might have discussed how countries in Africa have issues and civil wars, people may have discussed abortion laws in USA, or other US domestic politics, or people may have discussed countries in Asia, South America, pandemic politics, killing whales, wolves, deer, fish, animals, wearing fur, and many many other political issues, but then I ask myself this:

WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?

I run a fan club dedicated to The Rolling Stones. For free. I have done it since 1980. I have spent more time on IORR than most other things in my life. As long as topics are Stones related, it is no hard work to moderate, except for numerous set list threads and Mick Taylor threads, usually merged to where they belong. Then I do allow a few off topic threads, because it is part of our life, as long as it does not take much time to moderate them.

I will never allow any political threads. They will be deleted. If it should have been easy to understand that the topic would have been political, then I do also disable the posting access for the user.

I want IORR to be self service, no hard work. Still I do spend several hours every day moderating threads, updating news, editing show reports pages, and talking to all those who send e-mail to me (many). There is no time for me to handle other activities here. I just came home from a long 3 months travel, never saw my wife and family for 95 days. Now I want to see them and talk to them, no time for moderating political discussions here. There is a tour coming up. I need spare time before going out once more.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 5, 2022 01:43

bv
People do post in old threads all the time. Then I have to delete the new comments, and close the thread, in order to avoid confusion.

No worries, no need to say sorry or excuse me, it's just a matter of keeping the number of old threads with "new life" down.

If you meet a person on the street, and this person ask a question, then 1, 2 or 5 years later, you meet this person again, and you answer that old question, and then just leave, that other person would be confused, right?

Same with "Have you been playing Blue and Lonesome lately", long time after, quoting a comment given 1-2 years ago, and so on.

It simply makes life easier and IORR easier to navigate if talks are done in "living threads".

The only way to dig out and comment in an old thread here is to search, so before you post in a thread you have searched for, check if it is old.

In other to, as much as possible, avoid bothering you with extra maintenance, bv: Are we by this also in many cases advised not to use Track Talk- threads or Album Talk- threads for entrance of new posts? These may often be quite old. For that reason, instead to open a new thread rather than reopening the sometimes quite old Track Talk- or Album Talk-thread to post in? Or do those constitute an exception to the rule? So much more, as new threads regularly are merged with the said threads? Thanks in advance for your recommendation!

Edits: Addition of clarifying sentences.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-05 09:31 by Witness.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 5, 2022 02:35

hi bv i have a question

is my recent thread about the tell me forum before 2004 an issue for you?

if so i'm sorry and i'll stop

i just don't know if you think what i'm doing qualifies as bringing up old threads since you wiped these threads i understand about 15 years ago for the same reasons and they are no longer technically part of iorr

i'm attempting to avoid bring up anything from the past the is political, offensive or embarrassing to people

and i'm sorry if i'm taking you away from time with your family to answer my question

you've given a lot to us but somethings i understand are just more important

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-05 02:57 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 5, 2022 11:01

"Track Talks", "Album Talks" and other similar threads are of course eternal. When you talk about a song, and album, or a tour, it may be the same thread, no problem.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 6, 2022 00:18

super awesome that this is posted on a thread started in 2013.

good one.

(i kid)

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2120
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home