Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Who at IORR saw the Stones with Brian Jones?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 19, 2013 19:38

These are fantastic posts. Thank you.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 19, 2013 21:19

Long John Baldry was the compere for the show...did not perform.
Came to know him well. Lovely guy and so much fun!

It suddenly came back to me that Terry Reid was playing with Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers as one of the opening acts for the Stones at Royal Albert Hall. I believe Terry was 15 years old at the time.

Since I'm suddenly walking down memory lane, wonder if there are any Crazy World of Arthur Brown fans here? He was a lovely guy and another "fun" person. Not sure what he is doing now. I met him through Hendrix who was a great fan of Arthur's and also of the never to be forgotten Bonzos.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-19 21:27 by stonesrule.

Date: July 19, 2013 21:34

Aquamarine, where do you live now? I live in LA!
We should get together and "recreate" Albert Hall!

Couple of other things I recall was that there was little security and when all those girls were flinging themselves on stage, Les Perrin was pulled in to try and firmly push them off. Think the Stones rather enjoyed this assault on the stage. I also believe that the Stones were on stage for no more than an hour.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 19, 2013 21:35

There was an article about him (Arthur Brown) in the August MOJO--never had the chance to see him myself. Hadn't realized that The Crazy World of . . was intended to be such a big enterprise.

I'm not in LA but La., btw! (Louisiana.) But I travel all over the US--we should definitely have a reminisce sometime! Btw my diary claims to have seen ALO there too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-19 21:38 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 19, 2013 22:03

Great first hand accounts! I'm surprised to read that they played Who's Driving Your Plane at Albert Hall! Did they play this number during that tour? I thought that was one of their songs that had never been played live before.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 19, 2013 22:09

Wondering if that was maybe a mistaken tune identity. Especially if Brian didn't play harmonica on it live because he played harmonica on the studio version.

Perhaps in your excitement Aquamarine, you got their recent single A and B sides mixed up and it was actually Have You Seen Your Mother?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-19 22:11 by His Majesty.

Date: July 19, 2013 22:22

Yes, Andrew was there.
I don't believe that "Who's Driving My Plane" was performed.
I have the set list...somewhere!
I am so angry with myself that I gave away the actual program to a fan a few years ago. I used to be quite generous until I heard how many of my little presents eventually ended up on EBay.

Date: July 19, 2013 22:27

Aquamarine

"Charlie introduced Lady Jane. Brian sat down and played dulcimer. Once the spotlight went off Mick and on to Brian in the middle break.

Albert Hall, London - 23rd September 1966

stonesrule

After the September 66 concert, there was a wonderful party at a nearby hotel.
Ike and Tina and all the artists opening for the Stones were there. The walls of the room were "decorated" with all the gold records and plaques for albums and singles the Stones had been awarded to date. The guests were very impressed. Don't think any of us had seen anything like this before.

Kensington Palace Hotel, London - 23rd September 1966

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-19 22:33 by His Majesty.

Date: July 19, 2013 23:01

Wow, great pics!

My diary does specify Who's Driving Your Plane, but I'm quite prepared to be proved wrong (don't think I'd have mistaken it for Have You Seen Your Mother, but it might have been something else. After all, I "heard" Zeppelin play Stairway at Bath in 1970, and they hadn't actually written it yet!).

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: July 19, 2013 23:29

Keep it coming aquamarine, great stuff! Really interesting that the stones played who's driving your plane.I had read somewhere that this was one of the tracks performed on the '66 tour but surprised that Brian played guitar and not harp. I had the pleasure of opening a gig here in Aberdeen for Terry Reid last year, and afterwards he spoke at length about his life.I asked him about the '66 tour, and he recollected that Brian and Keith were great guys to be around, always up for a laugh and a smoke.Apparently Mick was more aloof.

Date: July 19, 2013 23:32

Terry was completely blootered when we played support slot circa 2004. grinning smiley

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: July 20, 2013 00:02

I really wanted to see the Stones with Brian Jones.
The only opportunity I had had was in Marseille on March 30th 1966.
At that time I was living in Nice at about 200 km away.
I was 15. I was ready to go to Marseille by hitch-hiking.
My narrow minded father did not want to let me go.
It was the only and unique chance for me to see Brian.
I really regret for never having seen Brian.
Three years later, I was quite shocked and upset when I heard about Brian's death on radio.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 20, 2013 01:22

stonesrule
Since I'm suddenly walking down memory lane, wonder if there are any Crazy World of Arthur Brown fans here? He was a lovely guy and another "fun" person. Not sure what he is doing now. I met him through Hendrix who was a great fan of Arthur's and also of the never to be forgotten Bonzos.

Since 2000 he has been occupying himself in a dual performing capacity, back with the reformed Crazy World Of Arthur Brown band which has released 4 studio albums and 2 live albums since 2000, and also as a featured guest touring with The Pretty Things. He often duets with Phil May on Hoochie Coochie Man, featured on the Pretty Things' 40th Anniversary DVD (Live in Brighton)

and in this 2005 clip (from Lorsch, Germany) below.

Here is another clip of Arthur Brown with the Pretty Things in 2010 at the Vintage at Goodwood Festival in Goodwood, England.

Poster advertising the Vintage at Goodwood Festival for 2010.

Here is Arthur Brown doing a live acoustic version of Fire from Lorsch in 2005, a featured solo appearance while on the bill with The Pretty Things.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 20, 2013 01:45

There's a 4-5 page article on Arthur Brown in the August edition of MOJO...

ROCKMAN

Date: July 20, 2013 01:56

The issue with my letter in it. *cough*

Date: July 20, 2013 02:00

....Oh yes Helen ...cool your a good smuggler

ROCKMAN

Date: July 20, 2013 02:13

grinning smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 20, 2013 12:09

My wife.........Cardiff Capital Theatre 6.10.(October) 1963...........and she got Mick's signature on her program.................. [www.iorr.org] .......scroll down a couple of posts for full size.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-20 14:36 by EddieByword.

Date: July 20, 2013 12:19

ROCKMAN

Date: July 21, 2013 10:08

The party was filmed for TOTP?? Was it screened? (Off to diary to check--because of course I detailed every minute of TV appearances as well . . ).

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: July 21, 2013 12:04

Thrylan
Sweet! Another Brian Jones thread!

And why not honor the founder of the Rolling Stones? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 2, 2013 09:57

Just dug this thread up again to post this, from the '66 tour programme

(which incidentally seems to suggest that Long John Baldry performed. In retrospect, I seem to remember her may have sung a song or two before taking over as compere).

As you can see, I got this from jimmypage.com, where JP also says

23 SEP 1966
I PLAYED WITH THE YARDBIRDS AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL
I was appearing with The Yardbirds on The Rolling Stones tour. The first half opened with Long John Baldry, then the Ike & Tina Turner Review closed the first half. I was playing bass primarily but got to play guitar with Jeff for a couple of numbers with Chris Dreja crossing over to bass. This was a wild show with teenage stage invasions for The Yardbirds and mobbing for the Stones. Apparently Michelangelo Antonioni attended this concert and decided on The Yardbirds to appear in his forthcoming film ‘Blow Up’.

Date: August 2, 2013 10:56

Is it possible that Page is mis-remembering a bit there, do you recall him playing bass at this concert?

I thought and photos suggest the initial thing of Page playing bass when he joined was over by that time.

Date: August 2, 2013 11:02

Two things--one, huge Zep fan as I became later, I hardly remember Page at all at that show (I was starting to hyperventilate waiting for the Stones by that time), and two, the consensus is that Page doesn't actually write these "reminiscences" himself. So--I think you could well be right about that.

Date: August 2, 2013 11:34

No mention of Page switching to and from guitar to bass in reviews.

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-02 11:46 by His Majesty.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 2, 2013 12:29

Aquamarine -- those are quite some amazing concert memories, me thinks. The Stones at Albert Hall, Yardbirds, even Byrds + Gram Parsons.

I'm 32 and I feel very young when I read this thread. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home