Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Emotional Rescue...which is THE best track
Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: April 9, 2005 07:54

Emotional Rescue, a much maligned album and in general is considered to be "lightweight" as an album. Leftover tracks from Some Girls, some new, some old, just like most of the bands albums. I like the fesh sounding snappy guitars on the album, I think KR & RW meshed together very well on many tracks with great interplay, bouncing off one another with a lot of great licks, some of their best playing together, almost like a live show. With that said there can be good guitar playing on a song that is so-so as a whole.

My main problem with ER is that many of the uptempo tracks sound TOO similar. I love Let Me Go, She's So Cold. Summer Romance & Where The Boys Go are very similar and the lyrics are kinda silly......although I like the guitar sound.

After 25 (can you believe it) years of listening to ER I have finally made up my mind that "Dance" is THE best track on the album (although I am very fond of "All About You). Dance is not really disco, it's not really funk, it's not really rock.........it, IMO, is in a class of it's own that can only be described as "Stones Groove". I am not saying that it's in the same class as JJF,BS, etc., and other classic band songs, I am merely saying that I think it's the best song on the album, that it has aged well and does not sound dated because it can't really be classified as a certain genre. I don't know how to explain it, but it has a certain downtown Manhattan feel. It is a song that only the Stones could crank out and still sound like The Stones.

With that said, which track do you feel is THE best track on ER ? All I ask is that in the end you pick JUST ONE as the best track. I am curious and look forward to all of you dissect ER.

By the way, the title track is one of their worst, IMO. A little too Kooky.

Milo, NYC
Keith!... whatcha, whatcha doin'?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-09 09:00 by Milo Yammbag.

Re: Emotional Rescue...which is THE best track
Date: April 9, 2005 07:57

Down In The Hole.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 9, 2005 08:26

Can I pick one and comment about two?
Dance was always my favorite on ER, with Summer Romance
being a close second, depending on what mood I'm in.
The guitar interplay on Dance is out of this world.
YOu'll hear a Keith riff, then a Ronnie riff, the a Keith riff,
then a Ronnie riff. When you listen to if with headphones,
it almost a religious experience. Beast of Burden is the same way.
Makes you wonder if that was all rehearsed or just a lucky take.
Now Summer Romance I like for different reasons.
The attitude, the guitars, the feeling, etc...
It could have been on Some Girls, even Aftermath, or Buttons.
or their first album. Good song to have a beer to...
That's what I remeber doing a lot when ER came out.
But I'll have to go with Dance as my favorite because of the guitar work.
Two-guitar bands shoud take note of that track.

Posted by: Strike ()
Date: April 9, 2005 09:47

This album is the worst they ever made beside Dirty Work. Not everything turns into gold when you look at it 25 years later. I remember how disappointed I was when I brought this one back in 1979.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: April 9, 2005 09:48

I LOVE ALL THE ALBUM. TO HEAR AT any moment. ONE OF THE BEST, DRIVIN'. Ilove the song title of the album. AND of course DANCE, DOWN IN THE HOLE (what voice !), SEND IT TO ME. AND KEITH IS A SINGER WHO LANDS IN OUR HEART ( AS HE USE TO BE.)
A VERY SENSUAL ALBUM.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: April 9, 2005 09:57

Emotional Rescue is the best track - easily.
It's a poor album that's for sure but i still prefer it to almost everything post Tattoo You. Theres still creativity there even if it's not fully formed eg. the guitar interplay on She's So Cold, the rhythm of Emotional Rescue and the harmonica playing on Down In The Hole. It's an album that has many good ideas that never fully come to fruition. It also has a slightly different, more experimental feel than a lot of the Stones other albums.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 9, 2005 12:08

Dance pt 1 or All About You. Can't decide.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: April 9, 2005 12:20

Down in the hole

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 9, 2005 13:53

Let Me Go. All About You is another favourite, but It really is a poor album by Stones standards.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 9, 2005 14:00

Another great 80s stones album.

Best track: she's so cold.

Let Me Go is much better live than this studio version.

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: April 9, 2005 15:06

Bowiestone is correct: She's So Cold.

Your foot is still tapping 10 minutes after the track's finished.

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: April 9, 2005 15:51

All About You. A great song.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: April 9, 2005 16:19

Edward Twining wrote: It's an album that has many good ideas that never fully come to fruition. It also has a slightly different, more experimental feel than a lot of the Stones other albums.

Agree. Some tracks sound like they were worked on for a while (Dance, ER, All About You) and others almost seem like demo's, but then again maybe it's that "demo" feeling that made the guitars sound so fresh. Somebody mentioned a comparison to DIRTY WORK. I think ER and DW in common....really great guitar interplay & licks between KR & RW, although the overall albums and especially a few individual songs (Send it to Me, Back To Zero and some others) are really bad (how could they put out Back To Zero?).

Of course even with the criticism, I still listen to ER now and then and enjoy it....so which is THE best track in your opinion ?

Milo, NYC
Straight to meltdown

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 9, 2005 16:43

Dance and Let Me Go!!!

Great album!!!

C

Posted by: SixtiesDave ()
Date: April 9, 2005 19:08

I've always loved this album, my favourite tracks are Send It To Me and She's So Cold.

Date: April 9, 2005 19:12

Milo,

It beats me how anyone can dislike BTZ. Just listen to Keith's choppy rhythm guitar throughout. Worth it for that alone. It's sharper and livelier than anything on Voodoo, on Aftermath and on ER. (I like ER album btw).

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: April 9, 2005 20:02

I used to think this album was crap but it has really grown on me recently, after I was trying to find a good stones song to dance to to convince my friends they rock in all aspects of music!! I was having a party once and after a few drinks I really wanted to hear somesome stones, but didnt want to interupt the dancey sort of groove. So on goes Dance Pt. 1 and EVERYONE got up and danced, i mean everybody! Had been playing typical dance tunes for the girls - the supremes, kylie, christina aguilera (under duress) and nothing got them like Dance. I followed it with Let me go and shes so cold, and it was Party Central!

Even though they're not classics, some of the songs are just better to dance to compared to JJF, Brown Sugar etc.

Get up, get out... Get into something new...
Love those horns and guitars!

Date: April 9, 2005 20:36

I have a similar memory - it's just a v.good party record.

Having just listened to BTZ again - there's similar guitar stuff going on throughout - as on Dance - but less obvious. But similar talkative "call and response". ()And i realised Keith's choppy stuff only really kicks in at the end - though there have been hints building up through the song (BTZ I mean).

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: April 9, 2005 20:56

No---Emotional rescue is a weak Album. The best song?---my wife would say---"Indian girl"

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: April 9, 2005 21:29

She's so cold!

Posted by: smilingsun ()
Date: April 9, 2005 22:28

Down in the Hole stands out, for the voice.
All About You has nice lyrics, but it lacks melody so much that you can hardly overlook it.
I completely agree with Milo on Dance - "Keith, whatcha, whathca doing" really gets you going. Timeless melody, very untypical for the Stones, but still with a great Stones touch. Love it.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 9, 2005 23:36

Indian Girl.

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: April 10, 2005 00:31

Dance pt.1 ! maybe the only latin inspired track they have ever made ?
But it`s hard to choose ,and I think ER is underrated with several very good tracks on it , made in good prolongation of Some Girls !

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: April 10, 2005 00:42

There are parts of All About You that are nice, but its like the song was unfinished. Terrible production. Best.....She's So Cold.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 10, 2005 00:52

There must exist two totally different versions of All About You circulating; or parallel universa... Bad production; ok, its clean, dry, naked - and with the heaviest bass after circa 1973 or outside the reggae world; but as smilingsun is "nice lyrics, but it lacks melody so much that you can hardly overlook it" makes one wonder about ss:s demands on melody in rock music. I could agrre that the chorus in itself may suffer from lack of traditional catchy-ness; or - if you like - you could almost say it has no refrain or chorus. A unorthodox way of writing... But I like it, and I hope to hear more of this kind of writing on the new album. Makes you understand though why Keefster always went nuts when Mick brought funny little machines etc into the studio in the 80´s-90´s.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: April 10, 2005 00:57

I'm all for the parallel universe theory....another Star Trek moment. The whispering backing vocals seem out of time....it's just awful. I am not against Keith's ballads.....I love Losing My Touch. I was dissappointed with the entire Emotional Rescue album....especially after Some Girls.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: April 10, 2005 01:19

As untypical as it is, I have to say the title track. At least there they ventured into some new territory. The fast rockers are all ok to good songs, but the problem is they all border on parody and sound like they were half-tossed off. And they have been done much better in the past. In ER they put much more effort in and meant it. Plus it has some great features as well: Micks singing (I like the moment when he gets back to his natural voice), Ronnie's bass, the guitar and sax mimicking eachother in a subtle piece of chamber music at the end...

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: April 10, 2005 01:26

cant see how anyone doesn't love this album,emotonal,send it to me,down in te hole,summer romaqnce,all about you,where the boys all go,kicks ass.charlies drumming,and micks english accent(and back up vocals,stones themselves)are great.gonna listen to the whole album tonight.

john scialfa

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 10, 2005 03:17

She's So Cold.

Let Me Go, honestly didn't take notice of this song until I heard the Still Life version

Down in the Hole, great song, and probably just under She's So Cold for Best track.

I agree that this album get's downed more than it should, Dirty Work is their only truely bad release in my opinion. Emotional Rescue does not sound as dated to me as Steel Wheels. I like this album, but I don't listen to it as much as others (Let It Bleed, Beggar's, Exile, Sticky Fingers, Some Girls, Goat's etc.)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 10, 2005 05:09

Where The Boys Go is my favourite by a mile.

I grew to like Dance more and more during the last tour, but I think that having listened to the remastered Sucking In the 70's that Dance Part 2 is better than anything on ER with the exception of WTBG.

The title track is unquestionably the worst single of the band's career and, along with Indian Girl, one of the biggest clunkers they ever did.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1519
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home