Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
New Start Me Up riff...
Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 12:22

He has played this pattern thousands of times, for any open G song, whether it’s JJF, Brown Sugar, Happy, Tumbling Dice, Street fightin man… any beginner can master it rather quickly once he has tuned his guitar in open G.

It’s possible than in 10 years he would get it wrong at some point on a song. Why not. But twice in a row, on the very same note… impossible, it can only be intentional. Maybe he wanted to turn the first two notes in C D instead of C C4/6, or a bit like he does with the Brown Sugar chords in the middle of the song. That’s going to be very interesting to see how that sounds in the DVD and I’m copying to keep Youtube videos of that while they still are online.

But surely when there’s a TV broadcast or a DVD being taped, I guess there’s a bit of preparation and a bit of stress, I assume Mick, especially, must be concerned about the gig going well. They were all dressed up the same way for both shows and it was all carefully planned that Charlie’s t-shirt had to be the same, Mick had to change his shirt at this song and Ronnie as well, etc…

Re: New Start Me Up riff...
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 15, 2013 12:36

It's just Start Me Up new style.

I'm waiting for the tabs on ultimate-guitar.com.
Or maybe a youtube instruction video.

Posted by: Jaggeresque ()
Date: July 15, 2013 12:39

I'm becoming strangely attached to this new discordant opening to Scarf Me Up and when he did it again on Sat I howled with laughter. It has to be intentional, as you say it's pretty impossible to screw up the same note twice.

However, we need to know the truth and I believe the government should launch a full enquiry into the matter to put our hearts and minds at rest!

Date: July 15, 2013 12:52

Maybe some Stones insiders will leak some stuff to Wikileaks.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 15, 2013 12:58

Like I said before this is Keith's 'jazz version'. Jazzmen are known for never playing the same song twice and Keith must be bored to death with going through the motions and churning out the same riffs. He's evolving as a musician so let's just dig it how he plays them these days. It's his riff, he plays it how he wants to.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: July 15, 2013 13:08

Yeah, we're just as bored...

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 15, 2013 13:33

It's Hyde Park - guitars must be detuned.

Date: July 15, 2013 13:44

franzk

Exactly. I think this could have been the idea behind it, meaning it was done as an allusion to 1969 on purpose. Or they could at least twist it this way by hindsight... Will we ever know?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 15, 2013 13:50

franzk

Yes, Franzk. This is an "hommage" to 1969's sound. I didn't think about at first. One has to be initiated to get that.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 15, 2013 14:05

franzk

Yes, I think that too that the weird intro was an intention. As a reference to Hyde Park '69 like the white blouse or the butterflies.

(Intro at approx. 1min30):

By the way, I found that the Intro on 13th is not so much out of tune, but on 6th it was definitely .....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-15 15:15 by Irix.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 15, 2013 14:14

Torres
Yeah, we're just as bored...
yes, it is amazing what bored minds can create from a bum chord.

Date: July 15, 2013 14:22

Irix
franzk

Yes, I think that too that the weird intro was an intention. As a reference to Hyde Park '69 like the white blouse or the butterflies.

That would be cool actually. yawning smiley

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 14:35

beepee2

It’s possible than in 10 years he would get it wrong at some point on a song. Why not. But twice in a row, on the very same note… impossible, it can only be intentional.

Definitely wasn't intentional. I was up at the front and watching really closely as, having witnessed the 6th July show I, of course, was really hoping that he'd get it right second time around.

He was definitely pissed off/ in a state of disbelief that he'd gone and done it again. You could see his expression on the big screen.

Maybe it's just one of those things - when you're trying so hard not to do something that's exactly what you go and do. I wouldn't imagine Keith has ever consciously thought when playing that, or any of those open G intros - 'Ok Keith, don't screw this up just put that finger there and the other one there...' As soon as you start thinking about it - it goes wrong. That's what I think anyway.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 15, 2013 14:45

It sounds more like a seventh this time!

Date: July 15, 2013 14:50

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 15, 2013 14:53

Maybe Keith is trying to spice up the warhorses or keep the band on their toes

Date: July 15, 2013 15:03

crholmstrom
Maybe Keith is trying to spice up the warhorses or keep the band on their toes

Just goes to show how full of it that whacknut JumpinLoneMightyOTrollin is because Keith clearly read his thread about how Keith would play his best to surpass the Beatles and make up for that blown intro riff the show before...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 15, 2013 15:28

Once is forgiven, twice is only sad. I'm really worried about Keith's health. Some of us were hoping for European gigs in the fall. I'm not so sure about that anymore.

Date: July 15, 2013 15:32

The DVD etc release will feature an overdub as there is no way they'd let that happen, just as they cleaned up one bad riff in Street Fighting Man from the HBO Licks show for the DVD.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 15, 2013 15:49

Brain-Fart..

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 15, 2013 16:02

He's fried from all those years of drug abuse. Simple as that.

Date: July 15, 2013 16:08

Roll73
beepee2

It’s possible than in 10 years he would get it wrong at some point on a song. Why not. But twice in a row, on the very same note… impossible, it can only be intentional.

Definitely wasn't intentional. I was up at the front and watching really closely as, having witnessed the 6th July show I, of course, was really hoping that he'd get it right second time around.

He was definitely pissed off/ in a state of disbelief that he'd gone and done it again. You could see his expression on the big screen.

Maybe it's just one of those things - when you're trying so hard not to do something that's exactly what you go and do. I wouldn't imagine Keith has ever consciously thought when playing that, or any of those open G intros - 'Ok Keith, don't screw this up just put that finger there and the other one there...' As soon as you start thinking about it - it goes wrong. That's what I think anyway.

Hm, on that video above Keith actually doesn't look amused, just focussed and serious right after this moment in the intro. One can't see his reaction at the moment he plays these notes though. But from the screen image right aferwards I would now also rather think, he wasn't happy with it or joking. So no allusion to Hyde Park 1969 after all..., at least no intended one. Strange mistake. He gets it right every time until they move the song to the opening position. But I'm not going to think, he is loosing it again, just because of this blackout. From watching all these many videos of the tour I thought he did really fine and I just hope he keeps on playing/practicing during their break now (maybe they will record some songs?).

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 15, 2013 16:12

this is so weird.

to even be wondering about this simple-ass intro and the way Keith plays it is such a strange tangent.

I mean, this isn't 'Night In Tunisia'..its the elemental simplicity, for emphatic rock effectiveness n that song, Start Me Up..

he can play it any way he wants to, its his music, but the audience only really understands it the conventional way.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: July 15, 2013 16:31

I like it. Gives the song new life. Also, the Stones have always let songs develop during/through tours. Glad to hear they are still thinking.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 15, 2013 16:33

Stoneage wrote: "Once is forgiven, twice is only sad. I'm really worried about Keith's health. Some of us were hoping for European gigs in the fall. I'm not so sure about that anymore."

Actually, Keith "mauled" SMU's intro once. The second one (July, 13) is different from the usual, but i wouldn't say "botched", judging from what i can hear. I say it because, after the first few seconds of the riff, crowd's yells drowned the guitar's sound.

In any case - Keith nervous, Keith "cold" in a concert's begining or Keith just trying something different- it's incredible how some people "see" again him beeing "lost in space" or even "seriously sick", not judging from a whole tour's leg (26 gigs), but from one or two - IMO one- "mauled" intro of the opening number. Which happened many times in the past, of course - just remember "Brown Sugar" in 2003, in Europe.

What comes next? Seeing Keith' eyes and predicting when exactly he' ll die??

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 15, 2013 16:50

It was on the 2007 European tour things were beginning to go a bit wrong for Keith. Personally I think it has more to do with the brain surgery and the ramification of that than anything else.
In any event, these things are to be taken very seriously. Health comes first.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: July 15, 2013 17:45

GasLightStreet
The DVD etc release will feature an overdub as there is no way they'd let that happen, just as they cleaned up one bad riff in Street Fighting Man from the HBO Licks show for the DVD.

+1

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 15, 2013 17:46

Or maybe he's same sloppy guitar player he's always been...just a bit older and more pig headed than ever !

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: July 15, 2013 17:54

@#$%& it grinning smiley these mistakes make em just human.

conspiracy mode:
keith had to play wrong, as you can see and hear in the video, and boom suddenly superjagger jumped on the stage and saved the scene with his awesomeness.

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 15, 2013 18:16

Of course, Stoneage, health comes first. I'm just trying to say:

1. If a botched intro was testified bad health, Keith would be hospitalized since... really, i don't know... Maybe since 1981.

2. On these 26 gigs Keith have overall played much better compared to 2007. If this partly reflects his health, then Keith must be helthier than then. Tommorow? Who knows. Somehow or other we are not doctors, we are not Keith's doctor's, but even if were, we would need something more than hearing a riff to give opinion, for sure.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home