Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nasty violent incident in T3 13th July - Anyone else close to it and see it ?
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 14, 2013 15:45

Firstly, can I just say that I thought it was a truly fantastic show and an even better show that 6th July with my personal favourite being Ruby Tuesday, a song they have not played in my presence since my very 1st Stones show in 1990, and I've been to 18 !

Anyway, accompanied by my long time friend (who accompanied me to the 2nd show back in '95) and his 14 year old son we arrived at the park at 8am and after the initial mad scramble, we secured a great spot approx 7 rows in front of the raised part of the left hand side of the stage. We stayed patiently there all day and there was a very genial atmosphere amongst that whole section of the crowd. We all got talking to each other and looked out for one another.

However, as the clock ran down, a few chancers made their way in and blocked peoples' views. The very worst instance of all happened during Jake Bugg's set. A burly English guy with short dark hair and glasses,about 5 foot 10, stripped to the waist and wearing knee length denims forced his way in, accompanied by his wife/girlfriend. Immediately behind him was a short Asian English lady accompanied by her children who'd been there all day and she immediately complained forcefully that he was blocking her view.

What followed ruined the atmosphere,which until then been very pleasant despite the intense heat. The man then subjected the poor woman to a shameful foul mouth tirade of abuse, some of it xenophobic/racist. He was the most obnoxious person I've ever encountered in 25 years of going to concerts, taking up as much room as he could. The whole crowd in the area wanted him gone and a very brave elderly couple both confronted and thumped him (the woman 1st !). Several others then piled in to their aid. The whole area then shouted for security, pointed to the man and chanted "Out!, Out!, Out!". He was then hustled to the front where he conned the pathetic security people into thinking that he wasn't the party at fault and was allowed to stay, in an even better spot 4 rows forward from his previous ill gotten spot!

With him remaining close by, the atmosphere between then and the end of the show was tense, and his disgusting behavour ruined the atmopshere and reduced the enjoyment of several dozen honest Stones citizens of all ages, colours and nationalities.

Whoever he is, I hope he is thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed of himself today. The abuse he subjected that poor woman was disgraceful.

If he is of a mindset to get his kicks from others despising him then he truly is a sad, pathetic feeble excuse for a human being and I have no kind words or wishes for him. And what does his partner see in him? A thoroughly charmless brazen low-life.

If it was you and you are reading this, you know who you are. Perhaps you will take note and change your behaviour for next time. Respecting your fellow human being is usually rewarded with respect and contempt, rightly, with contempt.

Any other IORRians have the misfortune to meet this odious creature or see what happened ?

Re: Nasty violent incident in T3 13th July - Anyone else close to it and see it ?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 14, 2013 15:54

"Nasty violent incident"
I thought someone had use his/her leather belt to come at the a-hole from behind and strangle him long enough to make him pass out.

Too bad... >grinning smiley<

Re: Nasty violent incident in T3 13th July - Anyone else close to it and see it ?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 14, 2013 15:57

Oh and the Hyde Park tape's ready...

"Rolling Stones
50 & Counting Tour, BST Hyde Park Festival
Hyde Park
London, UK
July 13th, 2013

Another great show for the Stones' second outing at Hyde Park and last show of the tour as per Mick's comment at the end (he mentioned the last concert of the "leg" in an interview last week). Keith changed the first chord of Start Me Up again, with a bit of a smirk on his face so it was probably intended as a joke...A very powerful version of "Street Fighting Man" and "Emotional Rescue" sounded really good for its premiere in Europe and so did "Ruby Tuesday" that hadn't been played on the tour yet. Here are some pictures to look at while you're listening : [bit.ly]

Recorded by WEBVAN - on the rail in the stage/catwalk angle T3 side, a marvelous spot and I think it sounds a lot better than my recording of the first show. There is some crowd noise though as one would expect right in the front of a crowd of 65,000 people!"

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 15:58 by dcba.

Date: July 14, 2013 16:21

dcba
"Nasty violent incident"
I thought someone had use his/her leather belt to come at the a-hole from behind and strangle him long enough to make him pass out.

dcba, while I do not advocate violence, in the case of this particular individual it would not have been entirely undeservedsmileys with beer

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 14, 2013 17:11

grzegorz67
dcba
"Nasty violent incident"

dcba, while I do not advocate violence, in the case of this particular individual it would not have been entirely undeservedsmileys with beer

The best way to solve this problem was to tying him with ropes take all a pee on him and leave him out burning in the sun...or in the cold cold night.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 22:47 by NICOS.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 14, 2013 17:14

Where is Sonny Barger when we need him!?

Date: July 14, 2013 17:23

drbryant
Where is Sonny Barger when we need him!?

Sonny Barger lolwinking smiley

For once we could actually have done with him here. We told my friend's 14yo that he'd had the full Stones experience, including a little dose of Altamont thrown in...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 14, 2013 17:25

Sounds like the Stones are using the Hells Angels again...have they learned nothing?

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 14, 2013 17:31

I was a little way behind you and had a sudden surge of maybe 10-15 people barging past me out of the blue just after Bugg finished i think. Complete chancers but not everybody is going to play by lifes little rules and regs unfortunately. Didn't see your incident though.

Shouldn't imagine the guy gives a single toss, just a shame it tarnished you day somewhat.

Date: July 14, 2013 17:52

still ill
I was a little way behind you and had a sudden surge of maybe 10-15 people barging past me out of the blue just after Bugg finished i think. Complete chancers but not everybody is going to play by lifes little rules and regs unfortunately. Didn't see your incident though.

Shouldn't imagine the guy gives a single toss, just a shame it tarnished you day somewhat.

There were a fair few scuffles and set-to s other than the one I describe. We've all complained about loudly about the expensive tickets in the all seated shows of recent years but perhaps we have short memories and forgotten all the perils of cheaper free-for-all free standing events. In years past with younger audiences I can imagine stuff like this was even worse!

You must have been near me as I too was aware of a surge from behind just after Jake Bugg finished his set. A few new faces suddenly appeared, filling whatever gap/half gap they could.

And yep, the guy was so pathologically brazen and selfish - spot on.

Grrr !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jaggeresque ()
Date: July 14, 2013 18:01

Let's hope he had a safe journey home and wasn't run over by a bus and squashed. And let's hope he doesn't get diagnosed with an incurable disease in the near future.

Seriously though, it shames me to think that people like that are allowed to get away with it. Sorry that it spoilt your experience. Luckily, for me we had a few chancers who were trying to find their 'wives' up at the front, but we kept our cool, formed a human shield and told them to bugger off, which they were polite enough to do. But that guy seems beyond the pail. He obviously has tiny cock.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 14, 2013 18:08

This is a downside with playing at festivals or public parks. These things and much worse will always happen. Like battery, pickpockets, rapes, hold-ups and you name it.
Worst case scenario is people being trampled to death. Which happens from time to time.

Date: July 14, 2013 18:37

Stoneage
This is a downside with playing at festivals or public parks. These things and much worse will always happen. Like battery, pickpockets, rapes, hold-ups and you name it.
Worst case scenario is people being trampled to death. Which happens from time to time.

All true and well put. But the Stones' wide appeal means they attract an audience evenly spread across all ages so I honestly (but perhaps naiively) hoped for better behaviour. The @rsew1pe at the centre of the above incident was, at a guess, in his mid 40s.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 14, 2013 19:08

grzegorz67
still ill

There were a fair few scuffles and set-to s other than the one I describe. We've all complained about loudly about the expensive tickets in the all seated shows of recent years but perhaps we have short memories and forgotten all the perils of cheaper free-for-all free standing events. In years past with younger audiences I can imagine stuff like this was even worse!

You must have been near me as I too was aware of a surge from behind just after Jake Bugg finished his set. A few new faces suddenly appeared, filling whatever gap/half gap they could.

And yep, the guy was so pathologically brazen and selfish - spot on.

Grrr !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had just as good a time at the seated shows at Twickenham in both 2003 and 2006, different but still great. There's also something to be said for not hanging around for nine hours or whatever!

Generally, I think people were ok throughout the day with people moving their way past them but about six did seem to be the cut off point and there were a couple of near incidents near me too.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 14, 2013 19:23

Sorry to hear about that, from the T3 corner where we were camped out all day we did see a guy start making a nuisance of himself during the Jake Bugg show, telling people to stand up, we didn't. He had a bandana on his head and might well have been without a shirt. He disappeared so might have tried his luck more to the outside of the stage.

We were worried pretty much all day that stuff like that would happen but in the end only one pretty short guy with a blue shirt tried to force his way through right to the front at the end of the Jake Bugg show when everyone stood up. He got in trouble pretty quickly and security told him to calm down or he was out...so he stayed put in a spot he certainly hadn't deserved by spending the day there.

The catwalk was a very good idea as it split T1/T2 and T3 and allowed for some protection to the T3 crowd and I'd been advised by friends who were in T3 on the 6th to aim for the barrier even if it meant being a bit further back as it provided shade and a place to lean against.

Talking about morons I don't know if anyone noticed a well dressed young guy with long hair getting extracted from the T3/B-stage area THREE TIMES last night ?! He seemed to be out of it, but I suppose it means that when they extract a pusher in they just feed him back in the crowd to he can make a nuisance of himself again?!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 19:40 by gotdablouse.

Date: July 14, 2013 19:29

gotdablouse
Sorry to hear about that, from the T3 angle where we were camped out all day we did see a guy start making a nuisance of himself during the Jake Bugg show, telling people to stand up, we didn't. He had a bandana on his head and might well have been without a shirt. He disappeared so might have tried his luck more to the outside of the stage.

We were worried pretty much all day that stuff like that would happen but in the end only one pretty short guy with a blue shirt tried to force his way through right to the front at the end of the Jake Bugg show when everyone stood up. He got in trouble pretty quickly and security told him to calm down or he was out...so he stayed put in a spot he certainly hadn't deserved by spending the day there.

The catwalk was a very good idea as it split T1/T2 and T3 and allowed for some protection to the T3 crowd and I'd been advised by friends who were in T3 on the 6th to aim for the barrier even if it meant being a bit further back as it provided shade and a place to lean against.

Talking about morons I don't know if anyone noticed a well dressed young guy with long hair getting extracted from the T3/B-stage area THREE TIMES last night ?! He seemed to be out of it, but I suppose it means that when they extract a pusher in they just feed him back in the crowd to he can make a nuisance of himself again?!

gotdablouse we DEFINATELY saw said well dressed young guy - he passed right by us twice. He was confronted both times and just looked at people with 'innocent eyes'. The 2nd time he was carrying wine and my friend said it ended up all over his expensive suit - serves him right.

Posted by: jaggerrich ()
Date: July 14, 2013 19:33

I was about 4 rows from the stage in the G3 section. Queued since 9.30 like a lot of others, so yes it was very annoying seeing people barge in at the last minute from nowhere. I did see a guy in glasses with a woman who seemed to have caused some commotion during Jake Bugg's set. They were asked to go the front to speak to security. I could hear them pleading their innocence and after satisfying security they tried to walk further in for an even better view. IT DIDN'T WORK! The last thing I saw was the crowd chanting OUT and I saw them eventually leave. Before that incident a couple of others had barged in and got away with it, and I think the crowd started to wise up and complain. Rightly so. It was a shame. By the time The Stones hit the stage though everyone was in place, and it turned out to be a great night.
Better organisation from Hyde Park might have prevented these scuffles, but luckily nothing too serious in my section. I hope it wasn't too bad everywhere else.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 14, 2013 19:40

Violence at a Stones show - no way!

Date: July 14, 2013 19:47

jaggerrich
I was about 4 rows from the stage in the G3 section. Queued since 9.30 like a lot of others, so yes it was very annoying seeing people barge in at the last minute from nowhere. I did see a guy in glasses with a woman who seemed to have caused some commotion during Jake Bugg's set. They were asked to go the front to speak to security. I could hear them pleading their innocence and after satisfying security they tried to walk further in for an even better view. IT DIDN'T WORK! The last thing I saw was the crowd chanting OUT and I saw them eventually leave. Before that incident a couple of others had barged in and got away with it, and I think the crowd started to wise up and complain. Rightly so. It was a shame. By the time The Stones hit the stage though everyone was in place, and it turned out to be a great night.
Better organisation from Hyde Park might have prevented these scuffles, but luckily nothing too serious in my section. I hope it wasn't too bad everywhere else.

jaggerrich, your description is identical to mine right up to the couple leaving. The whole crowd chanted "Out!" In my case they tried to stay up front after their chat with security and after being confronted by those already on the front row were forced back, but not as far back as they were previously so they profited from their bad behaviour!

The general organisation of the whole event, ticket delivery & security was extrenely poor in my opinion. I was at the 6th too and apparently that night there was a break in with security overpowered 5-6 songs from the end.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 14, 2013 20:39

This is why I prefer the aristocracy of the tongue pit. Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: July 14, 2013 20:44

that sucks dude, i've had incidents like this happen around me before at GA shows and it's tough --- you have to try and put it out of your mind and enjoy the show.

Date: July 14, 2013 21:02

mnewman505
that sucks dude, i've had incidents like this happen around me before at GA shows and it's tough --- you have to try and put it out of your mind and enjoy the show.

Oh I enjoyed the show well enoughsmiling smiley It just irked that the focus of this little incident stood 2/3 rows in front to me for the whole show as reward for his @rseh0lish bullying behaviour. I had a bag with 3 half litre bottles of water in it and would like nothing better than whack him over the head from behind with it.

But that would be lowering myself to his low level so I shall forget him and abandon him to his fate.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 14, 2013 21:48

jazzbass
This is why I prefer the aristocracy of the tongue pit. Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?

Hehe...it's funny that you mention that because on the 6th I was in T1, strolled in at 3.30PM and had a great spot. To "earn" that similar spot in T3 (a bit better actually since I was in the corner and on the rail and we had shadow thanks to the rail) I had to get there at 9, get stressed out before entering, make a 500 meter mad dash towards the T3 corner and worry all day about getting swamped. Is that worth £200? Actually if you're alone I'd say yes, if you're reasonably fit and with a group of friends like I was yesterday (total of 12 people) then it's actually good fun to "rough it up"...you somehow feel more "deserving" of that great spot and makes for lifetime memories.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 14, 2013 22:12

So glad you all had a great time in the face of adversity.
You all deserve it. winking smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 14, 2013 22:48

Don;t get me started, people pushing through the crowd is one of my pet hates. I dpn't have a problem with those who genuinely had to go to the toilet etc and are getting back to where they were, but there is a category of pusher in who rolls up just before the band are due on and proceed to just shove people aside while shouting 'excuse me' - they are usually pissed, or off their heads. A few got a smack at Glastonbury, but I had to endure about 2 hours of a fairly steady stream of these characters. Really annoys.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 14, 2013 23:28

In '76 my buddy and I went up to San Francisco to see The Who at Winterland. In the morning we drove by to check out the place, and there was already a line of people around the block.

So instead of grabbing breakfast, we parked and waited in line all day. Late afternoon they let us into the venue, and we had a good spot not too far from the stage. We sat the open floor for a couple of hours. Then everybody stood up when the Steve Gibbons Band came on.

There was a long wait between them and The Who. Just before the Who came on, a guy with a camera pushes his way in through the crowd, and fills what had been an air pocket just in front of me.

The whole "man with a camera" sense of importance was infuriating. Everyone around had earned their spots by waiting all day, and now he just waltzes in.

For some reason, I just let it go.

Years later, when I saw the cover montage of The Who box set, I can tell those pictures were taken at that show, from about the angle of where I was standing.

Now I wonder if the photographer was that same pushy dude.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 14, 2013 23:36

We had a security problem of a different kind. A couple settled down behind me on a picnic rug, and then after a while they both disappeared, leaving the rug and two big carrier bags full of possessions to mark their spot. When they still hadn't come back after about two hours somebody (not me) alerted Security, who took their stuff into safe keeping (this is London, remember - it might have been something sinister). It was a further hour before they finally reappeared, carrying on about how everything including their car keys was in those bags - and claimed that this was perfectly normal behaviour, and nobody should have minded. They settled down again not far away to enjoy the rest of the show. I think they were lucky not to lose anything.

The other Security concern was Harmonica Man - tall, thin, scruffy, clearly a bit out of it, insisting on playing along on harmonica (quite well from what little I could hear) to all the acts - sometimes while lying on his back. He was pulled out once, judged to be OK-but-eccentric, and put back - but taken out again during the Stones set looking very much the worse for wear and not returned.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 15, 2013 00:19

Green Lady
We had a security problem of a different kind. A couple settled down behind me on a picnic rug, and then after a while they both disappeared, leaving the rug and two big carrier bags full of possessions to mark their spot. When they still hadn't come back after about two hours somebody (not me) alerted Security, who took their stuff into safe keeping (this is London, remember - it might have been something sinister).

Leaving a bag unattended at a huge event like that? I'm surprised anyone waited two hours to call security.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 01:46

Not a "nasty" event.

But i was involved in a fight last week in T2 (made a thread on it), and I felt that yesterday's atmosphere was worst (even though this time i didn't witness any serious stuff). Saw a few guys pulled out (one for throwing a bottle), also saw a drunk woman walking back from the front and causing some stir, a group a German young folks who started annoying people around, saying "but we've been here sine 5PM!" while they were in the middle of people who had arrived at lunchtime...yawning smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 15, 2013 15:54

the old axiom: instant @$$hole. just add alcohol.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home