Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track Talk: SHATTERED
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 26, 2013 06:04

Picked up a Phase 100 about a year, or so, ago. Best phaser for Shattered that I've found. I kinda dig phase pedals.

Fulltone MDV2, HBE Psilocybe, MXR Phase 100, EHX Worm, EHX Small Stone, EHX/Sovtek Small Stone

They each have their own thing going on. Another nice subtle phaser is the MXR Phase 45.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 06:05 by MingSubu.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 26, 2013 09:48

Thanks for the info above. I just ordered a Phase 100. Looking forward to it!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 26, 2013 11:52

His Majesty
Utter shite.

eye popping smiley No it is not!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 26, 2013 15:36

Title5Take1
nobs
(The guitar sound) was the MXR Phaser - the 100 model - and I damped (putting the base of the hand on the base of the strings to stop them from ringing) the guitar. That's what gives it that sound.
- Keith Richards, 1982

Have any guitar players here used this (a Google search just showed plenty for sale). Or have you found some newer device you prefer that's good at duplicating the SHATTERED guitar sound?

I got the MXR 90. I've yet to get the 100. The 90 sounds great. The 100 has more to it, can get that real deep phase going on that Keith uses.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 26, 2013 15:59

It's a pretty inventive and cool track with its punk-meets-rap-thing but I find it too repetitive and boring in the long run.

Rolling Stones "The Ron Wood Years"
Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: September 26, 2013 18:12

Watched this on youtube. Most enjoyable. Has anyone else seen this?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 26, 2013 18:34

Great live / great performace / great rythm / great "singing" from Jagger, what else can you expect.

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: September 27, 2013 03:57

Title5Take1
nobs
(The guitar sound) was the MXR Phaser - the 100 model - and I damped (putting the base of the hand on the base of the strings to stop them from ringing) the guitar. That's what gives it that sound.
- Keith Richards, 1982

Have any guitar players here used this (a Google search just showed plenty for sale). Or have you found some newer device you prefer that's good at duplicating the SHATTERED guitar sound?
I use it, you'll get the whole Some Girls album outta this baby!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 27, 2013 07:42

LieB
It's a pretty inventive and cool track with its punk-meets-rap-thing but I find it too repetitive and boring in the long run.

Yeah, it's an experiment that worked, but it doesn't hold up.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: September 27, 2013 08:00

The song kicks ass, great riff, great lyrics, great bridge. Huh, Shidoobeee!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 27, 2013 08:01

Shott
The song kicks ass, great riff, great lyrics, great bridge. Huh, Shidoobeee!

Agreed...it just doesn't hold my interest after the 30th listen.

Date: September 27, 2013 08:38

Great outtake, but also serves as a karaoke version >>> [www.iorr.org] smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 27, 2013 08:56

This song I think has grown from absolutely miserable to a classic in rock history ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 27, 2013 14:26

The live versions exceed the studio one by far. I like most the rendition in 81/82.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: September 27, 2013 15:14

It's just an awful song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-27 15:16 by howled.

Date: September 27, 2013 21:25

I think the studio version is underrated. Love the live versions from 1978-1982 +SNL but the bridge never sounded as good as on the studio version. Actually the riff is better on studio version. That numb thumping riffing is fantastic.

Date: October 3, 2013 09:29

My MXR Phase 100 just arrived in the mail today. I was surprised it came with no instructional booklet (instead lots of product promotion booklets!), but I just watched a Phase 100 video on Jimdunlop.com, however it featured mainly jazz playing. So any tips from you guys on how you use the MXR Phase 100 to play the Stones would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

What I just pulled from the box:

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 3, 2013 10:11

Title5Take1
My MXR Phase 100 just arrived in the mail today. I was surprised it came with no instructional booklet (instead lots of product promotion booklets!), but I just watched a Phase 100 video on Jimdunlop.com, however it featured mainly jazz playing. So any tips from you guys on how you use the MXR Phase 100 to play the Stones would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Richards used this setting live: Intensity to the far right, speed at 1 o' clock.

Richards used a script logo MXR Phase 100 from 1975 to 1981, and replaced it in 1982 with a block logo version. The old script logo phasers sound deeper, warmer and fatter than any block logo MXR and new Dunlop MXR Phasers, and hence are sought after. On Ebay there's script logo versions available that look very new: these are made in the '90's with old parts that came available after MXR went out of business. The only real way to identify these new ones is to check the serial numbers on the pots: these are 1990's serial numbers, not early 1970's.

Mathijs

Date: October 3, 2013 11:51

Mathijs
Title5Take1

Richards used this setting live: Intensity to the far right, speed at 1 o' clock.

Richards used a script logo MXR Phase 100 from 1975 to 1981, and replaced it in 1982 with a block logo version. The old script logo phasers sound deeper, warmer and fatter than any block logo MXR and new Dunlop MXR Phasers, and hence are sought after. On Ebay there's script logo versions available that look very new: these are made in the '90's with old parts that came available after MXR went out of business. The only real way to identify these new ones is to check the serial numbers on the pots: these are 1990's serial numbers, not early 1970's.

Mathijs

Using that setting on the newer MXR Phase 100 would kill the effect, because the sound would be way too muddy.

I'd like to try the script logo-phaser one day.

Date: October 3, 2013 11:56

Great info Mathijs, thanks! Treble on guitar would be pretty low I guess? Studio version I mean.

Date: October 3, 2013 12:02

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
Title5Take1

Mathijs

Using that setting on the newer MXR Phase 100 would kill the effect, because the sound would be way too muddy.

Are you sure? The first three sweep/regenaration modes are not of much use outside reggea or jazz, the fourth mode is closest to a Phase 90, which basically emulates a warm Leslie. It's the most subtle sounding mode, and with speed at 12 or 1 it has great depth without drowning out.

I never heard that much difference between old and new phasers, except for the fact that old script logo versions where more 'musical', they where just a tad warmer and fatter.

And beware, MXR Phase 90 and 100's are quite muddy -it's best to use with a bright guitar and bright sounding amp, IMO. Richards sound on Hampton's Shattered is very muddy, but it's fantastic as well!

Mathijs

Date: October 3, 2013 12:05

Redhotcarpet
Great info Mathijs, thanks! Treble on guitar would be pretty low I guess? Studio version I mean.

I guess Richards used a Gibson LP Junior with neck pickup for the recording of Shattered, lots of right hand damping and a hot amp, probably the Boogie MK1.

I prefer Telecasters with a Phase 100 -Gibsons make them sound too muddy for my taste, you get a Brian May kind of sound that isn't my style.

Mathijs

Date: October 3, 2013 12:07

The intensity knob is reversed, on the Dunlops reissues. So take note for Keith's settings.

I don't have the pedal in front of me. I've read his Shattered setting is Intenisity: 1 or 4 Speed: 12(studio) and 2ish(live).

Unless side-by-side, they all sound like a Phase 100.

Not my video.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-03 12:15 by MingSubu.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 3, 2013 12:23

For DJ´s in the late 70ies and early 80ies "Shattered" was always a funny risky choice.
If you had a full dancefloor full of wild dancing people the croud went even more crazy when you put on the song.
And just one day later all left the dancefloor for toilet and drinks.

"Shattered" is a crazy little pearl.

Date: October 3, 2013 16:23

MingSubu
The intensity knob is reversed, on the Dunlops reissues. So take note for Keith's settings.

I don't have the pedal in front of me. I've read his Shattered setting is Intenisity: 1 or 4 Speed: 12(studio) and 2ish(live).

Unless side-by-side, they all sound like a Phase 100.

Not my video.

Never noticed the intensity know being reversed on the new ones!

Even on this clip I find the script version to be better sounding: fatter, warmer, and more of that liquid swoosh.

Mathijs

Date: October 3, 2013 16:50

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
Title5Take1

Mathijs

Are you sure? The first three sweep/regenaration modes are not of much use outside reggea or jazz, the fourth mode is closest to a Phase 90, which basically emulates a warm Leslie. It's the most subtle sounding mode, and with speed at 12 or 1 it has great depth without drowning out.

I never heard that much difference between old and new phasers, except for the fact that old script logo versions where more 'musical', they where just a tad warmer and fatter.

And beware, MXR Phase 90 and 100's are quite muddy -it's best to use with a bright guitar and bright sounding amp, IMO. Richards sound on Hampton's Shattered is very muddy, but it's fantastic as well!

Mathijs

I know, but speed at 1 o'clock drowns the cool effect for me (on my Hot Rod DeVille amp anyway). It's enough with speed at 8 o'clock for me to get that Shattered sound.

I've tried it extensively with all my guitars (Tele, Strats, Les Paul as well as my new Gretch Electromatic), and it's the same way. Too much speed, too much effects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-03 16:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 3, 2013 18:08

I haven't opened mine up in a while. Do the RI have a trimpot?

I found a TGP thread, where the OP adjusted their's. Claimed it increased/decreased the effect. No replies, however.
[www.thegearpage.net]

Trimpots = mark initial setting!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 4, 2013 00:42

TheGreek
great lyrics

I dislike the lyrics

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 4, 2013 00:48

And I dislike _help me please help me winking smiley,should I say I don't like it at all ?
the "repetitive" /monotony

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: October 4, 2013 00:55

MingSubu
I haven't opened mine up in a while. Do the RI have a trimpot?

I found a TGP thread, where the OP adjusted their's. Claimed it increased/decreased the effect. No replies, however.
[www.thegearpage.net]

Trimpots = mark initial setting!

I don't recall a trim pot in any vintage Phase 90 or 100...

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home