Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Track Talk: SHATTERED
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: July 13, 2013 17:43

I never could get into this song, it´s quite antirhythmic, sung very haunted,

IMO live a total low down - but many many people seem to like it, I´m just interested what do you like about this song?

(This is no bashin, argument or whining, I´m just curious)

Re: Track Talk: SHATTERED
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: July 13, 2013 17:49

It's a fantastic song that does not make any sense what so ever

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: July 13, 2013 17:55

I've always loved the studio version but I never cared much for the live versions. To me, it just seems to lose its edge on stage.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 13, 2013 17:59

great lyrics

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 13, 2013 18:05

Great lyrics that have meaning..... That era in NYC plus a power outage thrown in "Directing traffic"

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 13, 2013 18:07

It's a great studio track.

Brilliantly produced.

I see it as the Stone's (Mick) nod to Lene Lovich (remember her?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 18:08 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: AJDuffer ()
Date: July 13, 2013 18:21

Shattered is one of my favorite "fun" songs of the Stones. The lyrics are hillarious and it is fun to watch Jagger's animation when he sings this song at his peak (ie, Saturday Night Live show, 1978 Dallas Some Girls dvd and even more recently at the Beacon Theater). The beat is definitely different which reminds me of some of my other favorite Stones songs, such as Sister Morphine or Paint it, Black. I realize there are some Stones fans who do not care much for this song, but I think it is one of their best.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 13, 2013 18:26

The song sold a thousand Phase 90's so it's not all bad...

By the way...where's Rene?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 13, 2013 19:02

It's one of my favorite Stones songs. I love the ATTITUUUUUDE running through it. It's what made me a Stones fan and run out and buy my first album SOME GIRLS after hearing it on the radio.

Keith just had the backing and "Shidoobee" and Mick had to come up with some lyrics. I have an outtake of an early version of just Keith's backing (it's on cassette so I can't link it here).

Mick explained that New York City had a garbage collector strike so garbage was piling up in the streets, and with other problems NYC was kind of a mess.
7th Avenue holds the fashion district, shmatte being yiddish for "rag" but also jocular slang for fashion and clothes. (I've walked along 7th Avenue singing that line from SHATTERED to myself.) Tom wolfe has called New York City "The city of ambtion," which agrees with some of Mick's other lyrics. A couple years ago a 30 Rock episode had a story thread about bed bugs in Manhattan (Alec Baldwin was always scratching himself), which was based on real news, and I thought, "The bed bugs are back."

Lyrics:

Shattered, shattered
Love and hope and sex and dreams
Are still surviving on the street
Look at me, I'm in tatters!
I'm a shattered
Shattered

Friends are so alarming
My lover's never charming
Life's just a cokctail party on the street
Big apple
People dressed in plastic bags
Directing traffic
Some kind of fashion
Shattered

Laughter, joy, and loneliness and sex and sex and sex and sex
Look at me, I'm in tatters
I'm a shattered
Shattered

All this chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter 'bout
Shmatte, shmatte, shmatte—I can't give it away on 7th avenue
This town's been wearing tatters (shattered, shattered)
Work and work for love and sex
Ain't you hungry for success, success, success, success
Does it matter? (shattered) does it matter?
I'm shattered.
Shattered

Ahhh, look at me, I'm a shattered
I'm a shattered
Look at me- I'm a shattered, yeah

Pride and joy and greed and sex
That's what makes our town the best
Pride and joy and dirty dreams and still surviving on the street
And look at me, I'm in tatters, yeah
I've been battered, what does it matter
Does it matter, uh-huh
Does it matter, uh-huh, I'm a shattered

Don't you know the crime rate is going up, up, up, up, up
To live in this town you must be tough, tough, tough, tough, tough!
You got rats on the west side
Bed bugs uptown
What a mess this town's in tatters I've been shattered
My brain's been battered, splattered all over manhattan

Uh-huh, this town's full of money grabbers
Go ahead, bite the big apple, don't mind the maggots, huh
Shadoobie, my brain's been battered
My friends they come around they
Flatter, flatter, flatter, flatter, flatter, flatter, flatter
Pile it up, pile it high on the platter

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 13, 2013 19:08

Lord help me. This song is one of the worst. Amature guitars riff. Childish sha do be backups vocals. Terrible mix and production. They whole thing sounds like something 9 year old would make up.

Posted by: AJDuffer ()
Date: July 13, 2013 19:12

Title5Take 1: thanks for sharing your love for this song. I totally agree that the "ATTITUDE" of the Stones just rolls through this song. You've made me want to fly out to NYC, walk the streets and embrace the mood of this song, SHIDOOBEE!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 13, 2013 19:14

Munichhilton

My sources tell me Rene is with Georgette Magritte, and quite possibly with their dog.

Mind you , that was after the war, could be anywhere now.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 13, 2013 19:18

I have always Loved Shattered. I love Charlie's drumming halfway through the song. Shattered has a great groove and oozes attitude. Could be my favorit song of the Ron Wood era.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 13, 2013 19:22

This is a great song, but like a lot of album tracks, I just don't think they've done a great live version.

I don't proclaim to have heard every version mind you. I do point to Still Life as exhibit 1 though.

Date: July 13, 2013 19:32

A rare pice of art by the Stones. Oobservant, sexy, funny, intelligent and a skewed look at society at the same time.

A new sound, with a brilliant production. Brilliant thumbs up

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 13, 2013 20:38

Never liked this song. Some of the worst guitar work on any Rolling Stones record.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: July 13, 2013 20:43

This song's been shit, shat and shit on. Shidoobie.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 13, 2013 21:36

More Hot Rocks
Lord help me. This song is one of the worst. Amature guitars riff. Childish sha do be backups vocals. Terrible mix and production. They whole thing sounds like something 9 year old would make up.

I agree, apart from the mix, which is ok imo. I could laugh about it at the time it got released though, and it sold very well (the entire SG album). So Shattered seems to be a part of the reinvention of the Rolling Stones, which they obviously needed, according to most Stones fans. That's the good thing about it. Miracles do happen.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: July 13, 2013 22:13

Alway a favorite.... love the riff!

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: July 13, 2013 22:25

Great song , love the bass

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 13, 2013 22:42

"(the entire SG album). So Shattered seems to be a part of the reinvention of the Rolling Stones, which they obviously needed, according to most Stones fans."[/quote]

I don't agree that the Stones needed a 'reinvention' as you put it. In fact, I don't think they reinvented themselves on the Some Girls album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 22:43 by nightskyman.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 13, 2013 22:44

svt22
More Hot Rocks

I agree, apart from the mix, which is ok imo. I could laugh about it at the time it got released though, and it sold very well (the entire SG album). So Shattered seems to be a part of the reinvention of the Rolling Stones, which they obviously needed, according to most Stones fans. That's the good thing about it. Miracles do happen.

I don't agree that the Stones needed a 'reinvention' as you put it. In fact, I don't think they reinvented themselves on the Some Girls album.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: July 13, 2013 22:56

Studio version is great.
Great bridge, too.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 13, 2013 23:03

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

My sources tell me Rene is with Georgette Magritte, and quite possibly with their dog.

My sources tell me, BOB sold the most Phase 90's.......BOB is a closer.

Love the studio track, but it's a tad repetitive live.

Date: July 13, 2013 23:26

Thrylan
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

But did he use the phaser on the studio recording?

Maybe for the last part where he plays the different riff based round the dark e-string?

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 13, 2013 23:39

I've always felt it was on damn near the whole album. Playing with the new toy.....FAE is about the only one that isn't wet and wavy.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 13, 2013 23:48

nightskyman
svt22
More Hot Rocks

You misunderstood my post: I do think the RS didn't reinvent nor did they need they to reinvent themselves cause of the punk movement etc by releasing SG, quite the opposite.. Many people do think and state that though. Had the Stones continued with a good lead player like Taylor, and had they sticked to that "old lead- rhythm guitar concept", they would have survived the 8-tees and 9-tees and onwards quite well, probably with a smaller audience. No need to argue about it: SG served it's purpose, although the album is not my cup of tea, the guitar playing/sound in particular.

Date: July 13, 2013 23:54

The little thing between Mick and Keith in the 80s was a bit more important than guitar roles?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 14, 2013 00:02

DandelionPowderman
Thrylan
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

But did he use the phaser on the studio recording?

Maybe for the last part where he plays the different riff based round the dark e-string?

I have to assume Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine moved some MXR products as well...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 14, 2013 00:07

I hated this song for the first 20 years...now it's om my top 10 list of Stones-songs of all times....

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home