Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 20
Re: Hyde Park show #2 July 13 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 14, 2013 16:14

Can't get my laptop to show the video on a post since I had it repaired.Heres the link anyway.

Ruby Tuesday

[youtu.be]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 14, 2013 16:21

gotdablouse & bv & others ... thanks for the photos & descriptions & videos

Posted by: KurtKuurna ()
Date: July 14, 2013 16:36

Hello! This was my 14th Stones-gig, previous one The O2 first show.
I think this Hyde Park-mix should have been much louder, a lot dissappointed to that fact, and Charlie was just smiling, and making songs slower all the time, and Keith made the same with his rhythm guitar.
I would say this was my last time. For the first time really dissappointed after a Stones-Show. Came from Finland just to see them. Thanks. -kurt

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: July 14, 2013 16:39

Jeffer
Yes! Eagle Rock Productions.

using 3D cameras...

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: July 14, 2013 17:09

Left over from yesterday I have a Barclacard Unwind bar lanyard plus wristlets for Tier 1 and the Barclaycard PayBand thingies

Before I consign them to landfill (grrrr - another thing to complain to Rob Halleet about - at least you can recycle paper tickets!) does anyone want them? I'll post anywhere within reason, just email me at simon@organicandfairplus.com

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 14, 2013 17:40

Sorry for you...

KurtKuurna
Hello! This was my 14th Stones-gig, previous one The O2 first show.
I think this Hyde Park-mix should have been much louder, a lot dissappointed to that fact, and Charlie was just smiling, and making songs slower all the time, and Keith made the same with his rhythm guitar.
I would say this was my last time. For the first time really dissappointed after a Stones-Show. Came from Finland just to see them. Thanks. -kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 17:41 by Powerage.

Date: July 14, 2013 17:41

Lanyard etc have gone

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 14, 2013 19:01

tatters
71Tele
For me the summation of this era of the Stones is: All five members who made Sticky Fingers and Exile were alive and available, and they chose not to have them all onstage at the same time - not even once! Even though there were many pleasurable moments, we will ponder this decision for years.

What's even more baffling is that I don't think it would have mattered all that much to the majority of the people on here.

All five members who made every album from Let it Bleed (for the most part) through Steel Wheels were available. I would've been immensely satisfied, if each night one of those albums was featured, (We could cut it off at Tattoo You)

They could play 4-6 songs from those albums with the original lineup. If they want to play warhorses for the rest of the show, fine. I think everyone would've been satisfied. I think Bill would've happily signed on to the tour to play 4-6 numbers / night.

There are only a few things an can think of that would've prevented this from happening. 1.(and most plausible) Money. Somehow doing this would net the glimmer twins less in the end. 2. Taylor physically wasn't up to the demands of this much playing. 3. Bill really didn't want to do it, at all. 4. Ronnie refused to leave the stage during the Taylor segment.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 14, 2013 19:05

Classic Keith:

Men at work:

More here in the IORR Hyde Park 2 reports pages:

[www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 14, 2013 19:36

jazzbass
tatters
71Tele
For me the summation of this era of the Stones is: All five members who made Sticky Fingers and Exile were alive and available, and they chose not to have them all onstage at the same time - not even once! Even though there were many pleasurable moments, we will ponder this decision for years.

What's even more baffling is that I don't think it would have mattered all that much to the majority of the people on here.

All five members who made every album from Let it Bleed (for the most part) through Steel Wheels were available. I would've been immensely satisfied, if each night one of those albums was featured, (We could cut it off at Tattoo You)

They could play 4-6 songs from those albums with the original lineup. If they want to play warhorses for the rest of the show, fine. I think everyone would've been satisfied. I think Bill would've happily signed on to the tour to play 4-6 numbers / night.

There are only a few things an can think of that would've prevented this from happening. 1.(and most plausible) Money. Somehow doing this would net the glimmer twins less in the end. 2. Taylor physically wasn't up to the demands of this much playing. 3. Bill really didn't want to do it, at all. 4. Ronnie refused to leave the stage during the Taylor segment.

The most plausible thing preventing it is that they are not current members of the Rolling Stones. Period.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 14, 2013 19:40

I can't get it together at the moment to write a review or post pictures, I'm still SO psyched up by the whole thing.

The only thing I will comment upon, and this is primarily addressed to people that were in a similar sort of location to me for this show, hence right at the front of the stage in tiers 1 and 3, is that the SOUND WAS ACTUALLY THE VERY BEST I HAVE EVER HEARD at any Stones concert.

And that is some claim, having done various "front of stage" or "pits" on these 50th shows and other gold circles etc in the past. I simply could not believe the quality and clarity of the sound that was achieved in Hyde Park on 13th July, it was as if you were listening to the buggers in your living room. I was just stunned.

Anyone else care to comment ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

July 13th set list
Posted by: jaggerrich ()
Date: July 14, 2013 19:43

What did you all think of last night's set list? I was very impressed. A few differences to last weeks set as well. We got Ruby Tuesday (a pleasant surprise!), Street fighting man (winner of the poll vote), Happy and Emotional rescue, none of which were performed on the 6th I believe. Virtually everything I wanted to hear was there, Paint it black, Jumping Jack Flash, Gimme shelter, Brown sugar,etc. All my faves. This is the only time I've seen the Stones in concert. Really glad I picked this 50th tour to see them on. Did anyone else notice Keith Richard's eyes filling up on the big screen as he left the stage after the encore?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 19:45 by jaggerrich.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 14, 2013 19:45

Always look forward to a post from paulywaul!

Glad to hear about the great sound.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 14, 2013 19:46

I agree, Paul, with the caveat that where I was (T1 next to the catwalk) the sound was exceptional in the second half, it took them a while to get it right. But from then on, what a wall of guitars!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 14, 2013 19:51

The sound was indeed very good last night and you can hear that in the recording that's already available [www.iorr.org] ;-) In the beginning Jagger was really low though and later on for some reason they turned off his mic when he wasn't supposed to be singing because several times he sang in it briefly during dance moves and you couldn't hear him. I'd already noticed that at the O2...they're afraid of larsen feedback maybe?

I must have been just on the other side of catwalk from you, although funnily enough it seemed like the front of T1 was closer to the stage, but it might well have been like the optical illusion we had last week that the catwalk was not in the middle of the stage...I had the same impression in T3 last night, but the other way around! It didn't look like there was a camera on a rail last night in T1, that was pretty annoying last week, and T3 only had some grass where a camera guy actually rushed a few times trying to follow Mick!

I still think it was better in the pit at the O2 though if only because we didn't get that "echo" when Keith/Ronnie/Lisa went on the catwalk and they turned on the monitors on the side so that they could hear themselves (no need for Mick as he has an IEM).

Oh, what did people in T1 think of the guys (or girls?) in the front who had these tall yellow punk "crests", must have been a tad annoying!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 14, 2013 19:55

Beast
jazzbass
tatters
71Tele

The most plausible thing preventing it is that they are not current members of the Rolling Stones. Period.

Which means... "See Reason Number 1"

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 14, 2013 20:31

crawdaddy
Can't get my laptop to show the video on a post since I had it repaired.Heres the link anyway.

Ruby Tuesday

[youtu.be]

Wow! Beautiful and emotional version! Tim's sorpano sax take on Brian's recorder part is ace!

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: July 14, 2013 20:37

Here is my review:

What a show in this second Hyde Park. The Rolling Stones were unbelievable and the crowd was wonderful. It was my 7th show in this 50 and Counting Tour and it was one of the best that I saw. I arrived the first in TIER 1 so I could choose my spot. I chose the catwalk very near to the front row. It was a very hot and hard day. Worst than Hyde Park #1! The hospitality Garden was a big success. The food was good. We could drink sodas or beer all day. They had cookies, ice cream, strawberries, etc. I became also a waiter. I brought many cokes to the security guards, and to the people who didn’t have the access to the garden. The ambiance around me was really nice. I was with many nice French people that I met there in TIER 1. Actually, the ambiance before the show in all the categories (TIER 1, 2 an 3) was really pleasant, cool. A wonderful atmosphere of British Festival.

The Stones began the show a few minutes earlier than Hyde Park #1. Start Me Up was better than last week but this song is not the best opening IMO. Emotional Rescue was a surprise and it was really good to hear this song in Hyde Park. Mick was amazing and the crowd loved it. Emotional Rescue works more in this disposition than in Arenas.

Street Fighting Man was the request song. I voted for it so I was in heaven when I saw it on the screen. This version killed! It was a perfect song to do it here, in Hyde Park front of 70,000 people.

Ruby Tuesday was a very good surprise and they did it perfectly. Here in TIER 1, everyone knew this song and was so happy to hear it. Ruby Tuesday was a little bit different than I heard in the past. I found it more romantic and emotional.

You Got The Silver was so moving. Very different that the 6 other shows I saw in this tour. Keith sang with his heart. He didn’t sing it perfectly but this is what I loved so much. Sometimes, he whispered some words that made this version very moving.

I remember during Miss You, when it was the time to the crowd to sing, generally we are not in time and Mick says “here we go, like this” and he shows us the way to sing. But this time he was so impressed that the crowd sang the “wouh wouh wouh wouh wouh…” perfectly on time.

There were so many highlights tonight like SFM or Ruby Tuesday but THE BEST highlight of the show was Midnight Rambler. The best version I have ever seen in my life. What a performance of the band, and not only Mick Jagger. All of them! Taylor, Keith, Ronnie, Mick, everyone! I was totally speachless during Rambler. I really want to hear this version again and again! This version has to be on DVD. I don’t have other words than AMAZING!

Gimme Shelter was excellent again but it was very very hard to have a version as good as Hyde Park #1 (I think that Gimme Shelter was the highlight of the first Hyde Park).

The rest of the show is perfect. They killed JJF and Satisfaction. And I will never say enough thank you to all the choirs I saw during this tour. They made YCAGWYW so much better than the others past live versions, before this tour. And to be honest, the choir of Hyde Park was in my opinion the best choir of the tour. Every time I see the choir during this tour, I imagine how good will be their memories. They are teenagers and they sang with the Rolling Stones!!!!! It can open doors in their music career.

I loved seing Mick Jagger running from the B-stage to the main stage during Satisfaction. After 2 hours of show and many many energy spent, Mick is still able to have a fast sprint. He is 70 years old. How can it be possible? There will never have another band like that. I am sure about it. The Rolling Stones are the greatest band ever! No doubt about it.

Now I am home with so many amazing memories in my mind. I spent a lot of money since December 2012 but it was worth it! This 50 and Counting was an amazing tour.

They look much younger than 6 years ago. What happened during these 6 years? Us, fans, we are so lucky because I was really not confident to see them again after my last show in 2007.

See you in October???

Benjamin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 20:37 by benstones.

Date: July 14, 2013 20:50

Gotdablouse was right about the French punk woman (definitely not a girl) at the front of T1 with the yellow coxcomb which stood up about two feet and made it very difficult to see anything if you were behind her (as we were). It's bad enough when people wear hats but this was disastrous. My wife asked her if she would swap places with her friend on the rail where would have impeded less people's vision, but she refused to do this. So we executed a stealthy sideways shuffle to end up standing behind a diminutive Japanese lady who stood on her shopping to see but was still easy to see over the top of. Phew, disaster averted.

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: July 14, 2013 21:02

johnnythunders
Gotdablouse was right about the French punk woman (definitely not a girl) at the front of T1 with the yellow coxcomb which stood up about two feet and made it very difficult to see anything if you were behind her (as we were). It's bad enough when people wear hats but this was disastrous. My wife asked her if she would swap places with her friend on the rail where would have impeded less people's vision, but she refused to do this. So we executed a stealthy sideways shuffle to end up standing behind a diminutive Japanese lady who stood on her shopping to see but was still easy to see over the top of. Phew, disaster averted.

Oh it was you!! I was there. I understand that the hair of the punk girl was a problem for you. But you can't ask a girl who was on the rail to switch places with the punk girl. The girl who was on the rail arrived at 9.30 in the morning to be in the rail. The punk girl arrived at 12.30. And you arrived later... So understand the (very small) girl who was on the rail, it was the place that she dreamed for!

Benjamin.

Date: July 14, 2013 21:15

I thought they were together, my apologies. I agree if you have been there since 0930 and you are quite short you deserve your place by the rail. We kept hoping that the yellow mohican would wilt under the heat but no such luck - there must have been some serious lacquer at work. At least her partners hair only stuck up by 6" and so was less of a problem. The answer is a hairdresser on the Tier 1 entry gate to remove excessive vertical hair from punters. Usually the problem with Stones gigs is people having too little hair, not too much.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 14, 2013 21:21

Superb rendition of Ruby Tuesday. I like Keith's acoustic playing very much.

Reviews for Record Collector magazine
Date: July 14, 2013 21:42

Here's my review of HP2 for Record Collector magazine. I've also included my review of Ray Davies / Elvis Costello on Friday for info because I am sure some of us were there!

-------

The Rolling Stones, Hyde Park, 13/07/13

View: Tier 1, three rows from the very front

When the Stones have played two gigs in the same town on the 50 And Counting tour the second gig has been musically more interesting and better received. And so it proved at Hyde Park 2. There were rare moments of delicacy on Ruby Tuesday, some cranked-up guitars from Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood on Street Fighting Man (with lyrical London references) and a UK debut for Emotional Rescue, rehabilitated from 70's novelty to a slinky dance groove courtesy of Darryl Jones bass. Another first: Charlie Watts speaks! (he said hello). Musical highspot was the presence on Midnight Rambler of guitarist Mick Taylor, the only guest that most hardcore Stones fans need. A mesmerising duet between Taylor's Les Paul Sunburst and Jagger's mouthharp was conducted head-to-head, the two protagonists were so close they almost merged. Two contrasting images: Jagger skipping the length of the walkway to end encore Satisfaction and two and a quarter hours of music without even being out of breath, whilst Richards and Watts exited the stage arms round each others shoulders for mutual support as if they were off to the Day Centre. So the last gig on this tour but last live show ever? Not while the Stones can satisy 65,000 fans, both casual punters and grizzled veterans.

Simon Wright

--------

Elvis Costello and Ray Davies, Hyde Park, 12/07/13

View: Loitering towards the front, Stage right

The last free gig in Hyde Park was in 1976, so a triple bill of Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello and Ray Davies on a beautiful July evening for no money was an unexpected treat, created by headliner Elton John cancelling with appendicitis. After a well-received acoustic set from Nick Lowe and an unmemorable turn from Gabrielle Applin Elvis Costello provided an object lesson in how to storm a festival: play your hits, play them loud, play them fast. The set was drawn mainly from his first three LPs, plus a beautifully sung rendition of the ghastly She (Aznavour rather than Parsons). A triple whammy of Pump It Up, (What's So Funny About) Peace, Love & Understanding and Shipbuilding brought the set to a climax which was then marginally defused by a brooding I Want You.

Ray Davies had a hard act to follow but his back catalogue rose to the challenge. He effectively balanced the well-known stuff such as Dead End Street. You Really Got Me and Waterloo Sunset with songs of more selective appeal like I'm Not Like Everybody Else, I Need You and a cleverly abridged Celluloid Heroes. Ray's young band were significantly strengthened by Pretender James Walbourne on lead guitar and backing vocals who added greatly to See My Friends. The singalong qualities of Sunny Afternoon were ruthlessly exploited by Ray, an expert in engaging audience participation. Some momentum was lost by Ray's frequent disappearances and by the occasional dodgy song selection such as 20th Century Man - Ray is clearly fond of the prescience of its lyrics but the tune is a turkey. By the time Lola made its inevitable encore appearance a Union Jacket wearing Davies had been officially recognised as a national treasure. As the £15 tea towels in the Merch tent said, God Save The Kinks!

Simon Wright

Date: July 14, 2013 21:47

benstones
johnnythunders

Oh it was you!! I was there. I understand that the hair of the punk girl was a problem for you. But you can't ask a girl who was on the rail to switch places with the punk girl. The girl who was on the rail arrived at 9.30 in the morning to be in the rail. The punk girl arrived at 12.30. And you arrived later... So understand the (very small) girl who was on the rail, it was the place that she dreamed for!

Am I reading this wrong or not understanding this story??? eye rolling smiley

Date: July 14, 2013 21:48

What an amazing couple of weeks it has been in London! Real Summer weather and two wonderful Stones gigs in Hyde Park. In the past few days, we discovered our neighbours who live down the street were going to yesterday's show as were another couple who live directly opposite us. Two guys at work decided to buy tickets on Friday as they had never seen the Stones before and wanted to be part of it. Other friends said they were going to hang out in the park and simply enjoy the concert for free. There seemed to be even more of a buzz around town for this second Rolling Stones in Hyde Park Concert (yeh, ok, 3rd technically!).

In accordance with most people's opinion here, BarRoomQueen and myself thought yesterday's gig was better than the previous week. The sound was better, some great inclusions in the setlist - the Emotional Rescue, Street Fighting Man, Ruby Tuesday sequence was especially good - and the whole band just seemed to be really on it. Partly due to it being filmed no doubt and partly due to the fact it was the last gig of this string of concerts. If ever they do play London again, it is unlikely to be in Hyde Park I would say.

We were in General Admission this time around and we, together with Silver Dagger, found a spot as best we could having joined the main throng at around 5.30 having taken refuge in the shade of a bar up to that point! We were reasonably close, considering, and we had a real feeling of being part of a festival crowd and had a much better perspective of the stage as a whole than the previous week. Don't get me wrong, Tier 1 was fantastic but we were glad to have had the two different experiences.

Here are a few pictures from our vantage point. I look forward to Silver Dagger's superior pictures when he posts them.......he managed to smuggle in an impressively large lens to attach to his equally impressive Canon camera!

The light begins to fade and the park takes on a different atmosphere...

Please allow me to introduce myself......

Over to you Keith.......

Satisfaction all round........

Time to go home! Great to meet everyone in the Paxton's Head afterwards........where were you Johnnythunders?!
@Gotdablouse - thanks for the great photos, sorry not to see you this time.
@RubyT - they played your song yesterday, too bad you couldn't make it over.

Until the next time...........

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 14, 2013 21:52

SO glad Manofwealthandtaste that you and BarroomQueen and your pals had a memorable time with "the boys"!

Date: July 14, 2013 21:59

jazzbass
Beast
jazzbass
tatters
71Tele

Which means... "See Reason Number 1"

Only if you're thinking about money, which I wasn't.

Date: July 14, 2013 21:59

Hi Manofwealthandtaste I was in the Kings Arms, Shepherd Market! Glad you had a good time again this week, I was standing pretty much where you were on the 6th

Date: July 14, 2013 22:09

Great to hear that all you guys and gals had a ball last night,and roll on the next leg of the European tour. smileys with beer

Date: July 14, 2013 22:10

Manofwealthandtaste
Satisfaction all round........

Now that is a great shot!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home