Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 20
Re: Hyde Park show #2 July 13 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 14, 2013 02:40

This is the end, beautiful friends.

Posted by: MartinB ()

Just got back. If possible, I enjoyed the gig even more than last week. OK, Keith screwed up the openings of SMU, PIB and few other bits, but it does not really matter, the machines just goes on, and 95% of the audience would not even notice. But the energy was superb, the gig had more balls than last week, the atmosphere (in T1) (and the sound) was amazing. For me, highlights are Midnight Rambler, Gimmie Shelter, Happy and JJF, amongst the best I have ever heard live. It is indeed the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world, ever.

I very much hope that there will be some next time.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()

I enjoyed the day but I thought the crowd - certainly round me - the worst I have ever encountered at a Stones gig. Many talked all the way through, had their backs to the stage and not remotely interested in the performance, apart from taking a few photos at the start. I know people here go on about how the high prices shut out real fans in favour of the corporate fat cats who aren't interested in the music, but I have to say this was a 'cheap' ticket compared to what I have forked out for the last three tours and the resulting audience was way less interested than the usual 'fat cats'!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 14, 2013 02:48

Thanks for the reviews, folks.

Sometimes Keith is punctual in his "appointments" with the same mistakes, on the intros of opening numbers. In 2003 screwed up the intro of "Brown Sugar" three of four times...

But if the rest of the gig was fine, no big deal.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 14, 2013 02:54

Great, great concert - better than Hyde Park #1 IMO.

But I have mixed feelings as I was surrounded by loud and drunk people in tier 3 most of the time.
I know it is inevitable at these big outdoor shows when people wait and drink for hours,
but is still so annoying. Why pay £100 to attend a concert but don't listen to the music?
I will never understand that. It was difficult to pay attention to the ballads (Ruby and Silver),
because of all the talking and shouting. I tried to move around a bit to find a better spot, but
it didn't help much.

Anyway, musically, the band was brilliant at times.
Glad that Street Fighting Man won the vote. It worked perfect.
One of the best versions of Midnight Rambler I can remember.
Gimme Shelter was pure magic.

I left the show with a good feeling.

And it has to be said: Jagger is Superman.
If I didn't know that he would turn 70 in two weeks,
I would think he was still in his 20s.
He's not just a rock star, but an athlete that never gets old.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 14, 2013 02:56

Just got back at the hotel. I am still a bit in a state of shock. How great it was to see the Stones again after 6 years. Man it was fantastic. I am so happy

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:01

DandelionPowderman
Thank you for a great tour! I was lucky to catch two shows.

The complainers weren't there.

Mick Taylor also deserves a big thanks for doing a great guest appearance throughout the tour thumbs up

Agree with this 100%, except I have no probblem with people who criticize and don't need to label them whiners, complainers or whatever, they are fans with legit points whether or not everyone agrees.

I saw Bklyn and Philly 2. I think there was a big question whether they could pull this off and they did, gave us some great moments. Yeah I wish they would mix it up a little, but they can't because they are not really working band anymore and didn't want to put in the rehearsal time. The show I saw in Philly rocked throughout; it wasn't that they were "good for 70" they were plain good.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is it. As someone pointed out, there is no deal for further shows yet and it may depend if they get an acceptable offer for some further shows in places they haven't hit yet. I think the least likely possibility is US tour, most likely some limited shows in Asia S. America if anything at all.

Bottom Line: no complaints, thanks for the memories, boys.

Posted by: dannyhowells ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:07

The Worst.

This is so true. I love him more than ever, and he was flying around that stage tonight.
He truly gives me hope that getting old(er) isn't going to be that bad.
Anyone that says "wrinkly rocker" .. take at look at yourself dear. Mick looks amazing, and he puts nearly all of us who are way younger than him to shame.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:08

BowieStone
frtg55
BowieStone
I believe Keith must have really liked his SMU intro last week, as he did it again tonight.

Is that really true?

Yep.

Could be a ploy by Keith to get The Stones back into the studio, because the more he messes up, the more studio overdubs that will need to be done for the CD/DVD.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:08

Rolling Hansie
Just got back at the hotel. I am still a bit in a state of shock. How great it was to see the Stones again after 6 years. Man it was fantastic. I am so happy

glad you enjoyed it. geniet er nog van...
jeroen

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:19

muenke
winter
Thanks for the review Dr. B and others, glad you all had a great time. Did they use Tim R on Ruby Tuesday on keyboards for any of the mellotron/flute/strings sounds or play it more stripped down sounding?

Nothing was stripped, but REAL flutes ....

That was Tim Ries playing the "flute" part - on some wind instrument that didn't look like a flute to me. Anyway, a nice surprise to get Ruby Tuesday, and very popular with the crowd (and Emotional Rescue did NOT go down like a lead balloon - at least not where I was in T3).

SMU intro, though not perfect, wasn't nearly as bad as last week. And one thing very noticeable was the big cheer when either guitarist (but Keith in particular) appeared on the relay screens. Keith got better as the show went on, very good on Satisfaction at the end.

Did anyone else think something appeared to be wrong with Ronnie's guitar in TD? He went to do a solo bit high up on the neck and a discordant screech came out - lower notes seemed better, but he was having trouble.

But these are quibbles - it took a few songs to settle down, but after Ruby Tuesday everything was going well and the crowd well into it - singing, dancing, cheering (Later on I saw the improbable sight of four young guys attempting to pogo to YCAGWYW...). A lot of what happened last week happened again, but it was worth seeing and hearing again - and no silly guests this time.

Anyway - VERY hot again during the day for those of us clinging on to our scorching spots for dear life. I was glad I brought an umbrella (for non-existent thunderstorms) which made a very good parasol. But by the time the Stones started it was cooler and there was a breeze.

It was a good show - if you're not the kind of fan who heads for the exits at the first whinny of a warhorse - and it was indeed lovely to see Charlie and Keith strolling off stage with their arms around one another, just before the lights went out.

Hope the rest of you enjoyed it as much as I did - and now we wait and see...

Date: July 14, 2013 03:20

dannyhowells
The Worst.

This is so true. I love him more than ever, and he was flying around that stage tonight.
He truly gives me hope that getting old(er) isn't going to be that bad.
Anyone that says "wrinkly rocker" .. take at look at yourself dear. Mick looks amazing, and he puts nearly all of us who are way younger than him to shame.

Agree with this. He is a consummate professional and a real inspiration as to what 'old age' can look like. When he did that long sprint at the end of Satisfaction and still looked cool as a cucumber the camera panned to Keith chuckling. It was an amazing ending.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:20

Max'sKansasCity
So maybe it is be kind of a BDSM thing?...
The people who come here and complain about every show, every set list, how Taylor doesnt play the full set..... and they keep coming back to be tortured by it and then they complain.... I guess they just love the torture it must be for them, otherwise would they keep coming back to complain? Surely they are smart enough to know what will happen.

The only thing I would find disappointing is if The Stones had to cut a show short because something went wrong.... that would be disappointing

As for this show? It sounds like a bunch of great Stones songs being played live at a Stones concert.... I only wish that I could be there... but it is great to hear it all went well for those in in the park.

Right on, dude.

I was reading the setlist thinking how much I wished I was there, and then I come to the posts by people who actually think there's something BAD about playing those songs that people love. (And announce they're going to sit out this tour because they don't like the setlist, as if there are going to be so many more tours to come . . . ) confused smiley The only thing I found disappointing was being deprived of Satisfaction at the first O2 show.

Appreciate what we have, people, we won't have it much longer. I wish I'd been there today, but glad it was a fitting end, by the sound of it! smiling smiley

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:21

What a show!!!! Clean sound and playing - Jagger was god on speed! due to the terrible hot weather I had to stay at the far end of the stage where water were accessible (one of my sons were with me) and witnessed the lines of people (mostly elderly) people taken for medical care due to dihadriation. My older son infiltrated his was to the front and had a lifetime experience. Even managed to get a copy of one of the bands playlists! (apparently from Daryl Jones...).

[docs.google.com]

Date: July 14, 2013 03:21

stonehearted
BowieStone
frtg55
BowieStone
I believe Keith must have really liked his SMU intro last week, as he did it again tonight.

Is that really true?

Yep.

Could be a ploy by Keith to get The Stones back into the studio, because the more he messes up, the more studio overdubs that will need to be done for the CD/DVD.

Hopefully by Keith himself this time...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:26

tatters
71Tele
For me the summation of this era of the Stones is: All five members who made Sticky Fingers and Exile were alive and available, and they chose not to have them all onstage at the same time - not even once! Even though there were many pleasurable moments, we will ponder this decision for years.

What's even more baffling is that I don't think it would have mattered all that much to the majority of the people on here.

Indeed, @#$%& unbelievable!!!

Date: July 14, 2013 03:28

Excellent reviews, folks. I mean ... lucky bastards!

But what about clips? Not yet?

Date: July 14, 2013 03:40

Folks, your posts became very moving... Does it mean that you predict that Hyde Park #2 is the last Stones gig ever?

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:43

there's no way keith accidentally screwed up the intro to start me up two hyde park shows in a row... something more is going on

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:43

The Worst.

But I have mixed feelings as I was surrounded by loud and drunk people in tier 3 most of the time.
I know it is inevitable at these big outdoor shows when people wait and drink for hours,
but is still so annoying. Why pay £100 to attend a concert but don't listen to the music?
I will never understand that. It was difficult to pay attention to the ballads (Ruby and Silver),
because of all the talking and shouting. I tried to move around a bit to find a better spot, but
it didn't help much.

Totally agree, I had the same experience. The place was full of chavs - it felt more like a football match.
I now realise why the band had to play all the war horses....for those simpletons.

Moaning aside....great show. RT gave me shivers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 03:47 by brownsugar86.

Date: July 14, 2013 03:45

laertisflash
Folks, your posts became very moving... Does it mean that you predict that Hyde Park #2 is the last Stones gig ever?

I predict that a lot of people are going to write the band's epitaph in the next few days. I also predict that rumours of their death will turn out to be greatly exaggerated.

Posted by: Airwavesflow ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:45

wish i was there

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:49

BowieStone
frtg55
BowieStone

Is that really true?

Yep.

Probably no one told Keith that he f*cked it up last week.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:49

laertisflash
Excellent reviews, folks. I mean ... lucky bastards!

But what about clips? Not yet?

My position was not good and the sound quality is bad but since the good filmakers are now asleep/drunk/off the internet, maybe you will find some comfort in my clips which I'm uploading at this very moment:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 14, 2013 03:50

Glad I was - and now I'm off to bed. See you tomorrow.

Date: July 14, 2013 03:53

laertisflash

I didn't get that feeling - then again, I thought the end of Bigger Bang was the last one - the kids and grandkids on stage, the number of very significant people from their past in the audience. This felt like end of term relief but still business like enough to believe there will be another term!

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:53

drbryant
It was an amazingly beautiful day at Hyde Park. Arived around 5:00 pm, and spent some time in the infamous Unwind Bar (horribly overpriced, but it's nice to have a shady place to kick back) and then made our way to Tier 2 in advance of Jake Bugg's set around 7:00 pm. From experience, I knew that it would get packed, so rather than try to get close to the center, we found a spot on the far right side, one row behind the rail separating Tier 1 from Tier 2, and because of the gap between the Tiers, could see the main stage quite clearly.

The introductory Hyde Park film started around 8:25. Keith was rough to open the show, he had trouble with the Start Me Up intro again, and things looked rocky for the first 3 or 4 numbers - I'll admit I was a little worried. But, his playing got noticeably better as the show went on, and he was fine by the time of his solo set. I've said this before, but maybe the Stones need to do sound checks - it helps to warm up properly before a show. The sound was also poorly mixed at the onset, with overall sound a tad too soft, and guitars buried in the mix. The volume was markedly higher in the second half of the show. Street Fighting Man was a great performance, and Midnight Rambler was epic - a very good version. The warhorses were, well, the warhorses, but the crowd loved them. Sympathy was great - played in the midsts of clouds of billowing smoke from the flames surrounding the stage. YCAGWYW was very impressive, with the two choirs resonating across the broad expanse of Hyde Park (although Ronnie reverted to one of his "was that actually a solo" type guitar solos. "Satisfaction" had the audience in a frenzy and Mick's running up and down the center and side ramps, augmented by the confetti and fireworks did the trick and seemed to leave everyone thrilled. Overall, the performance and sound probably rate a B-, but the sold-out crowd (walked around a bit, and the park looked jam-packed) as and the atmosphere (needless to say, there were no thunderstorms) made it a very memorable evening. If it ends up being their last performance, the Stones certainly went out the way we would have hoped - as the greatest show on Earth.

I would agree with all of this almost word for word. Very sloppy first few numbers but then it kind of clicked and became a very enjoyable fun show, helped by a great crowd(in my T3 spot anyway) Like you, i thought SFM and Rambler stood out. Happy was great too.

Oh and Jagger is truly a force of nature. Incredible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 04:01 by still ill.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:55

The "flute" on Ruby Tuesday ought to have been a recorder, did Tim play recorder? Whatever instrument he played I'm sure it was well played. His tenor sax on Ruby Tuesday at the Rolling Stones Project gig was great! Bernard's vocal was amazing!

Happy to know they played Ruby Tuesday though, a special song for a special occasion... My favourite Rolling Stones song!

Good group performance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 04:29 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:55

In the middle of T2 - a bit of exciteable talking near me for the first couple of songs - but after that everybody was into the music
First 3 songs were very good but felt like 'looseners'- just getting into the groove - and the guitars weren't loud enough
ER through to PIB was excellent - and the guitars were louder - followed by HTW
Keith missed a couple of vocal cues on YGTS - and Ronnies' slide was inaudible for the first minute on Happy - but the song itself flew and was a fine rendition
Miss You was fine, MR was great as usual and the rest you know and sounded great

Saw them at the O2, 1st night, and that was amazing - because of the 5 year gap and the surprise that they were so good!
Been spoiled since with all the great videos of the US Tour and Glastonbury so a little 'heard it all before' may settle in with some people...
...but when you're there, the interest and attention never flags because it's all great when right in front of you!!

My tenth gig in 37 years - loved them all cool smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 14, 2013 03:56

Just to clarify, I'm not personally suggesting there will be no more shows--I was just referring to "a fitting end" to this leg of the tour, and I sincerely hope there will be another, and preferably near me!. I'm just saying that it's unwise to take anything for granted at this point in the band's career.

Oh, and as for why Keith would play SMU the same way--because obviously that's not Keith, it's Feith.
Keith replacement thread

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1419
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home