Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Neil Young, Lanxess Arena, Cologne 12.07.2013
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: July 13, 2013 02:41

Just watched a blistering set by Neil & Crazy Horse.
Never heard him that loud. This evening's highlights included opener Love and Only Love, Walk Like Giant, Ramada Inn, a roaring Hey Hey My My and a nice string of encores constisting of Surfer Joe & Moe the Sleaze, Roll Another Number and Everybody Knows this is Nowhere. It was my third Neil Young Show, but the first one where I saw him smiling frequently and overtly enjoying himself.

Complete Set list (found on [www.sugarmtn.org]):

1. Love And Only Love
2. Powderfinger
3. Psychedelic Pill
4. Walk Like A Giant
5. Hole In The Sky
6. Red Sun
7. Heart Of Gold
8. Blowin' In The Wind
9. Singer Without A Song
10. Ramada Inn
11. Cinnamon Girl
12. Sedan Delivery
13. Mr. Soul
14. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
---
15. Surfer Joe And Moe The Sleaze
16. Roll Another Number
17. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 02:43 by Greenblues.

Re: OT: Neil Young, Lanxess Arena, Cologne 12.07.2013
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 13, 2013 03:07

Sounds great for his forthcoming show in Vienne (France) on next Monday! Can't wait to be there.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 13, 2013 03:12

Neil Young is (one of) the greatest.
Great to hear you saw him at a great show.....
..... and have fun at the upcoming one too.

It may seem like a short (looking) set list, but it rocks on and on, Neil style!

Date: July 13, 2013 03:21

July 11th 2013.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 13, 2013 04:12

RAWSOME!!!
its better to burn out than to fkg fade away!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 13, 2013 13:40

Looks like you got to smell the Horse! Have seen Crazy Horse many times. Its like going to rock & roll church. Best one was on the Greendale tour. They played the Joint in Vegas(when it was 1200 capacity) because there was big model train show in town. Problem was, they couldn't fit the set in the venue. So they played 3 hours of pretty much every Crazy Horse song you could want. When they launched into "The Loner", I turned to the hippy girl I was hanging with & said "I almost came". She looked down & said "I think I did!". Good times....>grinning smiley<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 13:43 by crholmstrom.

Date: July 13, 2013 14:17

crholmstrom
(...) They played the Joint in Vegas(when it was 1200 capacity) because there was big model train show in town. Problem was, they couldn't fit the set in the venue. So they played 3 hours of pretty much every Crazy Horse song you could want. When they launched into "The Loner", I turned to the hippy girl I was hanging with & said "I almost came". She looked down & said "I think I did!". Good times....>grinning smiley<
Sounds like an exceptional event indeed ;-) This time all the props did fit in. I suppose you know he's recycling the cases and Fender mockups from the Rust Never Sleeps and Smell The Horse tours once again. And I can see why. What a great stage design. And the moment the cases were lifted slowly, uncovering the king-size "Amps" (control-lights gleaming), you knew you were in for something special.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 14:21 by Greenblues.

Date: July 13, 2013 14:21

I saw them in Seattle last November. It was pretty wonderful. I'm totally jealous of "Surfer Joe & Moe the Sleaze". Now if we could just get them to play "T-Bone"! I think the Horse takes a lot out of Neil though.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: July 13, 2013 14:21

Going to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Daniel Lanois and Emmylou Harris Aug. 31. Can't wait, and I hope the show is as good as this one!

Posted by: django ()
Date: July 13, 2013 14:25

I was there too and it was great. Twenty+ minutes version of Walk Like A Giant - approx. ten minutes song, ten minutes feedback orgy - wall of sound! My wife didn't like it but I have known that before. She only likes the acoustic set in the middle which was fantastic too. I really liked the stage references to "Rust". The big speakers, the huge mic, no rain from the Woodstock, the disputing stage hands with their white jackets and everything.

Date: July 13, 2013 14:29

crholmstrom
I saw them in Seattle last November. It was pretty wonderful. I'm totally jealous of "Surfer Joe & Moe the Sleaze". Now if we could just get them to play "T-Bone"! I think the Horse takes a lot out of Neil though.
Yeah, "Surfer Joe and Moe The Sleaze" was the one I didn't expect. And even more, it was a strong performance. I love it when he digs out these dark horses. Wouldn't have complained, if he'd substituted "Blowing in the Wind" with "Captain Kennedy" either. Speaking of "Reactor", "Shots" would have been a welcome addition too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 14:31 by Greenblues.

Date: July 13, 2013 15:13

I love Reactor. I'm glad you got a great show. I read an interview with Pancho where he said he thinks this may be the last Crazy Horse tour. Going out on a high note, etc.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: July 13, 2013 17:32

YESTERDAY - my 1st NY-show EVER!!!!!!

I´m just amazed - I want to see this band again again and again!!!!!!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 13, 2013 18:10

Hmmmm... He is not playing my most favourite song."Like a Hurricane"...

Date: July 13, 2013 18:49

crholmstrom
Looks like you got to smell the Horse! Have seen Crazy Horse many times. Its like going to rock & roll church. Best one was on the Greendale tour. They played the Joint in Vegas(when it was 1200 capacity) because there was big model train show in town. Problem was, they couldn't fit the set in the venue. So they played 3 hours of pretty much every Crazy Horse song you could want. When they launched into "The Loner", I turned to the hippy girl I was hanging with & said "I almost came". She looked down & said "I think I did!". Good times....>grinning smiley<

I was at that show too. Could have seen them right down the street where I live at Irvine Meadows but the Joint tix were only $100 for general admission. I got right up against the stage. Would have cost me much more had I seen them locally. After the third encore you could see Neil and the band standing off stage talking like they were discussing whether to do a fourth encore. Seen every Neil tour since '76 and that was the best Neil show I've ever seen! It looked like he was really enjoying himself that night.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 13, 2013 20:18

laertisflash
Hmmmm... He is not playing my most favourite song."Like a Hurricane"...

they do occasionally play it, they did in London recently for example.

seeing the Horse twice recently has kind of ruined going to see the Stones for me. as much as i enjoyed the Stones at the 02 last year, Crazy Horse was just on a whole other level entirely. it was night and day, a real band kicking arse versus a showbiz style vegas thing

so much so i'm off to see them again in London next month smiling smiley

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: July 13, 2013 21:22

Going to see him tomorrow evening in Locarno (CH)... small place as well... and with Gary Clark Jr. as pre-show.

[www.moonandstars.ch]

sjouke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 21:23 by Sjouke.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 14, 2013 00:38

Blowin in the wind...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: July 18, 2013 00:45

Back from my 800km trip to see NY & Crazy Horse. Incredible concert. If they are passing in your town or nearby just go see them. You won't regreat it.

The encore at Vienne (France) concert on last Monday night :

Hey Hey My My @ Vienne

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-18 00:53 by kowalski.

Date: July 19, 2013 01:44

Hey kowalski, great version of @#$%&' Up!
He didn't play it in Cologne (I won't complain as we got Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere instead) - but the Vienne setlist every bit as exciting as what he played in Cologne.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-19 01:45 by Greenblues.

Date: July 20, 2013 00:27

Vienne setlist :

1.Love And Only Love
2.Powderfinger
3.Psychedelic Pill
4.Walk Like A Giant
5.Hole In The Sky
6.Red Sun
7.Heart Of Gold
8.Blowin' In The Wind
9.Singer Without A Song
10.Ramada Inn
11.Sedan Delivery
12.Surfer Joe And Moe The Sleaze
13.Mr. Soul
14.Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
---
15.F*!#in' Up

2 hours of concert

Highlights were the unreleased 'Singer without a song' with Neil on piano, a powerful version of 'Surfer Joe' and the encore with 'Fukcin' Up'. But the whole concert was just great.
Also I'm always surprised to see how close these guys play together and face each other, in circle. They seem to play first for themself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-20 00:28 by kowalski.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: July 20, 2013 00:47

Neil is great. I saw both shows at Red Rocks last summer, Ramada Inn is a wonderful song.

As far as Surfer Joe and Moe the Sleaze - how can you beat any song that mentions Garfong.

Long Live The Horse!

Date: July 20, 2013 00:57

Here's Surfer Joe And Moe The Sleaze from Cologne 12/07 -

Date: July 20, 2013 02:43

... and Walk Like A Giant. Smokin'!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-20 02:44 by Greenblues.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home