Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Happy Birthday (51) To The Mighty Stones!
Date: July 12, 2013 04:39

Since it's already July 12 in London I figured it might be OK to go ahead and wish them a happy birthday even though the unofficial time of birth was most likely around 9:00 PM (London time) when they took the stage for the very first time 51 years ago in 1962. Long live The Mighty Stones!

Re: Happy Birthday (51) To The Mighty Stones!
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 12, 2013 04:44

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
Since it's already July 12 in London I figured it might be OK to go ahead and wish them a happy birthday even though the unofficial time of birth was most likely around 9:00 PM (London time) when they took the stage for the very first time 51 years ago in 1962. Long live The Mighty Stones!

You were wrong, it's not ok. Please wait until 9pm UK time.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: July 12, 2013 04:49

TheLongRanger

We are not old men. We don't care about your petty morals. We celebrate anywhere.

Date: July 12, 2013 04:52

sonomastone
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain

OK! I used to jump the gun at Christmas when I was a kid also! Would get up with my brother and tear through the presents (including those that were not meant for us) at 4:00 AM in the morning. Three hours earlier than the earliest time our parents allowed!

Date: July 12, 2013 04:59

Sipuncula
TheLongRanger

We are not old men. We don't care about your petty morals. We celebrate anywhere.

There will be no premature celebrating allowed! So saith sonomastone!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 12, 2013 06:25

They're only mighty because The Sons of the Beatles haven't yet gotten together to make billions of dollars and bring joy to the world. All of music from the beginning of time is a warmup act for The Sons of the Beatles.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 12, 2013 11:07

Fank you masked man

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: July 12, 2013 15:20

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
sonomastone
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain

OK! I used to jump the gun at Christmas when I was a kid also! Would get up with my brother and tear through the presents (including those that were not meant for us) at 4:00 AM in the morning. Three hours earlier than the earliest time our parents allowed!
You rebel,you.

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: July 12, 2013 15:26

From the official site... and only 16 (short) songs in the setlist ;-) so what are we complaining ;-)

12th July 1962

During the late spring and early summer of 1962 Mick Jagger and Keith Richards would catch the train from Dartford to London, where they nurtured dreams of forming a blues band.

They always visited the Marquee Club on Oxford Street where Mick, on a few occasions, sat in to sing a few blues songs with Alexis Korner’s Blues Incorporated. Playing drums with Alexis was one Charlie Watts.

Brian Jones, Ian Stewart, Mick and Keith along with whoever else they could find to play some Rhythm & Blues were soon rehearsing a set of favourites at The Bricklayers Arms Pub in Soho’s Broadwick Street, just a stone’s throw away from Oxford Street.

Their luck changed when The Blues Incorporated were offered a slot on BBC Radio’s Jazz Club programme on 12th July 1962, so the Marquee’s owner, Harold Pendleton booked this new four piece band to deputize for Korner’s group on this historic night.

Needing a name, quickly, so the club could advertise their appearance they came up with The Rollin’ Stones, lifted from a song by their hero Muddy Waters. Jazz News carried the band’s line up:

Mick Jagger (vocals harmonica), Keith Richards (guitars) Elmo Lewis, real name Brian Jones (guitars), Dick Taylor (bass), Ian Stewart (piano), & Mick Avory (drums).

Brian Jones was calling himself Elmo Lewis, Elmo, after his hero Elmore James, and Lewis being his first name: Lewis Brian Hopkin Jones.

According to the band’s handwritten set list for that first gig (penned by Ian Stewart in his appointment diary) they played songs by their heroes Jimmy Reed, Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry.

The rest is history.

The Set List
1.Kansas City – Wilbert Harrison
2.Honey What’s Wrong – Billy Fury
3.Confessin’ The Blues – Chuck Berry
4.Bright Lights, Big City – Jimmy Reed
5.Dust My Blues – Elmore James
6.Down The Road Apiece – Chuck Berry
7.I Want To Love You – Charles Smith
8.I’m A Hoochie Coochie Man – Muddy Waters
9.Ride ‘Em On Down – Robert Johnson
10.Back In The USA – Chuck Berry
11.I Feel A Kind Of Lonesome – Jimmy Reed
12.Blues Before Sunrise – Elmore James
13.Big Boss Man – Jimmy Reed
14.Don’t Stay Out All Night – Billy Boy Arnold
15.Tell Me That You Love Me – Fats Domino
16.Happy Home – Elmore James

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 12, 2013 15:33

50 for the Stones, and 51 for Mick Jagger & The Rolling Stones (no Watts and Wyman in that band)....

2 1 2 0

Date: July 12, 2013 16:59

crholmstrom
Fank you masked man

No premature Fanking either! Fank him after the show Saturday night when Keith Richards turns in the finest performance of his career!

Posted by: sabata ()
Date: July 12, 2013 17:03

Maybe these 3 songs are wrong

I think these are right numbers

2.Baby What’s Wrong – Jimmy Reed
7.I Want To Love Me – Muddy Waters or Wynonie Harris - I Want To Love You,Baby
9.Ride ‘Em On Down – Eddie Taylor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-12 20:34 by sabata.

Date: July 12, 2013 17:06

ab
They're only mighty because The Sons of the Beatles haven't yet gotten together to make billions of dollars and bring joy to the world. All of music from the beginning of time is a warmup act for The Sons of the Beatles.

This is one thing that the masked man isn't joking about. It should be a no-brainer. Would bring joy to millions and make a lot of people very rich. Will it happen? I can't say for sure, but what I have said all along is that it SHOULD happen and that I am going to do everything in my power to make it happen. I firmly believe that the individual can make a difference in changing the world. This has been proven throughout history. And will be proven again tomorrow night at Hyde Park.

Date: July 12, 2013 17:08

lazzzybones
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
sonomastone
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain

You rebel,you.

My parent's nicknamed me Johhny Yuma when I was a kid! It was also when I was a kid that I had my first vision of the Sons of the Beatles!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 12, 2013 18:09

They should release that first gig !!!
jeroen

Date: July 12, 2013 18:58

corriecas
They should release that first gig !!!
jeroen

Does it exist?

Date: July 12, 2013 19:12

Less than four hours now until the official unofficial time of birth of the Rolling Stones in 1962. 9:00 PM works for me, although I have always felt the official birth should have been Brian's phone conversation where he had to scramble to come up with a name for the band. Anybody know exactly what day that took place?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-12 19:14 by TheLoneRangerRidesAgain.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: July 12, 2013 19:13

Happy 51. Birthday To The Rolling Stones smileys with beer

Posted by: getdown ()
Date: July 12, 2013 19:14

[photos.mercurynews.com]

some cool photos

Date: July 12, 2013 19:35

Never tell a kid his/her birthday begins at midnight!

Date: July 12, 2013 19:57

The champagne is on ice! Just three hours and three minutes to go!

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: July 12, 2013 20:16

happy 51!!!!!

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 12, 2013 20:20

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
lazzzybones
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
sonomastone
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain

You rebel,you.

My parent's nicknamed me Johhny Yuma when I was a kid! It was also when I was a kid that I had my first vision of the Sons of the Beatles!

wait, i thought that when you were a kid the beatles didn't exist yet?

Posted by: sabata ()
Date: July 12, 2013 20:50

Billy recorded this song but he never released this song by summer of 1962.
Maybe this song was released first time in 2006 his compilation "Rarities Vol.6"
[www.spaceritual.net]
[www.allmusic.com]

This song was released in 1973
check 77-129
[www.soulfulkindamusic.net]
[www.allmusic.com]

This is not RJ's song

[www.rollingstones.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2165
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home