Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Elton John compares Eminem to Mick Jagger
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 7, 2005 23:31

What a joke this is. Rolling Stone magazine has really become a bit of a laugh....

Elton John compares Eminem to Mick Jagger
Associated Press

NEW YORK — Elton John says that Eminem is on par with Jimi Hendrix and Mick Jagger.
Eminem

In the new issue of Rolling Stone, the rapper is listed in the magazine's second "Immortals" edition, featuring another 50 of the greatest figures of rock 'n' roll with appreciations written by other artists. In his immortalizing of Eminem, John writes that he got goose bumps when he first rehearsed with him for their performance at the 2001 Grammy Awards.

"From the start, I've always admired Eminem's thinking," John writes. "That's the reason I wanted to appear on the Grammys with him when I was asked, despite all the nonsense talked about his being homophobic.

"Let the Boy Georges and the George Michaels of the world get up in a twist about it if they don't have the intelligence to see his intelligence."

Other contributors include Dave Matthews writing on Radiohead, Trey Anastasio on Frank Zappa, Beck on Hank Williams, David Bowie on Nine Inch Nails and Mos Def on Miles Davis.

The original top 50 "Immortals" were listed by Rolling Stone in 2004. Topping the ranks were the Beatles, Bob Dylan and Elvis Presley.

Re: Elton John compares Eminem to Mick Jagger
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 7, 2005 23:57

Elton... still a great artist IMHO, but he should only open his mouth for singing.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: April 8, 2005 00:33

Eminem????

thanks---that was the name---who played at the same night on 13 June 2003 15 km away from the Stones in Oberhausen

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 8, 2005 13:28

No I agree Eminem is great. He's the greatest rebel now although he's selling out. He has that clown face too.

Posted by: Edith_Grove ()
Date: April 8, 2005 13:45

rubbish !

Posted by: Marcia ()
Date: April 8, 2005 14:18

not worth the enrgy of a response

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: April 8, 2005 14:38

enema???

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 8, 2005 15:02

Oh but I think he is to young people at least. Not now maybe but in the late 90s.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 8, 2005 15:30

I think to just write off Eminem as rubbish is itself rubbish. At least EJ knows that shit moves on. At one time Jagger was considered sexist and rude and dangerous, and a lout. Busted for pissing on walls and pissing off femminists.
Maybe many here don't like rap, Eminem's medium. But IMO E is quite a brilliant cat. His lyrix are nothing short of genius.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: April 8, 2005 17:33

I have no prblem with Eminem........but Elton, I mean Reginald, is a Prissy loudmouth at this point with his wig and crappy Lion King songs. Keith was right when he said that Elton now makes a living off of dead blondes. Reginald would be nowhere without Bernie.

Milo, NYC
I cased the joint and I know it well

Date: April 8, 2005 18:39

Eminems lyrics genius?

Compare his lyrics to what Chuck D wrote on the Public enemy classics.

I used to be a a hiphop fan. But all the new hip hop artists are nothing compared to the great masters. Eminem could be the best of the newcomers, but there is no competition. Chuck D will blow him away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-08 19:27 by BowieStone.

Date: April 8, 2005 18:42

I think Eminem is a joke. His lyrics are a complete nonsense, nothing real about them. I can appreciate a good lyricist like Mos Def, Common or Talib Kweli.

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: April 8, 2005 19:25

Well Keith said that he should never played with animals onstage again, after Elton played with the Stones...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 8, 2005 19:44

what an insult to mick, really man you have to be kidding

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 8, 2005 22:03

Who's talking about Chuck D? Thought we was talking about Jagger and Eminem?
Chuckie is pretty good, no doubt. Doesn't mean Marshall is no good. And to write off Eminem as nonsense lyrics is foolish and narrow minded. I remember seeing a quote by Lennon where he said the best rock'n roll lyrix ever written were "Whop bopaloolah wop ba boom". There is something to be said for "nonsense". Not everything must be socially conscious. beside there is nothing funnier than watching a bunch of white boys shake their fists to the beat of a black rapper who is telling them in rhymes how full of crap they are. Wealthy middle class "homies" knowingly shake their heads about the plight of the projects.
Give me a break

Date: April 8, 2005 22:19

It's not the lyric Whop bopaloolah wop ba boom, but the way Little Richard screamed that lyric IMHO.
Pat Boone covered that, and it was shit.

I was just comparing Eminems lyrics to those of a class act... like Chuck D. Could have easily mentioned another one, political or non political: KRS ONE, Q-Tip, Mos Def, LL Cool J (in his prime), De La Soul, 2Pac, Beastie Boys,...

Eminem is selling because of his big mouth, nothing more nothing less. And he can be happy that Dr. Dre is all behind this stuff making it commercial and sometimes good (I like Dre btw)
I hear nothing in his lyrics. And lyrics doesn't have to be socially concious, that's very true... I even think Rappers Delight has amazing lyrics.

It's all a matter of taste. You like it, I don't. Now, there's nothing we can do about that and we don't have to.

Date: April 8, 2005 23:16

BowieStone,
I agree with you, Eminem is selling his image and his lyrics about killing people and all that are nonsense. Making silly little riddles. I do like some hip hop. There is a band called the Roots that is an actual band. They actually covered the Stones Miss You. They have a guitar player, drummer bassist and their sound could be compared to Earth, Wind & Fire with a rapper singing and sometimes rapping. Eminem, on the other hand samples songs like Dream On, which many of his fans probably never heard before and he adds his dumb lyrics to the song and its a hit. And his production is done by someone else like Dr. Dre, so what is left, nothing but him selling his white boy being ghetto image and acting like he is mad at the world. He is a joke in my book.

Date: April 9, 2005 08:01

Reg has obviously been getting handballed without douching beforehand (no pun in tended) and the little bits of bacteria are sticking to his sigmoid colon resulting in queen-induced fits of grandeur.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: April 9, 2005 08:13

Some of Eminem's songs and videos are goddamn funny, thats all I know.

Reginald is a cranky old Queen, pumped up on Zoloft, Xanax and Anal Tampons so he is not constantly and uncontrollably dropping logs into his trousers . I have nothing against gay people, but he makes them look bad. I can't even imagine the monkey house that exists in his brain.

Milo, NYC
Too much, much too much

Date: April 9, 2005 11:22

Say what you want, but Reginald is a great artist.

Date: April 9, 2005 18:14

BowieStone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Say what you want, but Reginald is a great artist.
>
> - BowieStone

He's a great artist who talks out his own arse. He should stick to singing, if you can call his present vocalisations singing.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: April 9, 2005 19:35

It doesn't matter how good or bad Eminem is. The comparison is a joke, made by someone who fits in another recently opened thread about musicians that are more then slightly overrated.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: April 9, 2005 19:47

Ranky-panky! Long time no see! Everything alright in the country of Mango's and frikandels? (As if I do not know.)

Posted by: 2000 Man ()
Date: April 9, 2005 20:28

To me, it seems that Eminem is probably one of best lyric writers of all time. You can dislike his style of music and his message, but his delivery is very unique and I think it compares to only to Bob Dylan. If you are trashing Eminem's writing, it is probably because you have not taken the time to listen to it.

With that being said, there are some comparisons to Mick Jagger. Both are white guys playing predominately black music. Both are quite controversial (in their time). I think the comparisons end there, and I doubt that anyone will ever have the longevity and impact that Mick Jagger has had on music. Let's see where Eminem stands in 40 years!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home