Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Question For Rolling Stones Historians
Date: July 11, 2013 06:20

I have asked this question before but never got an answer. Can someone please tell me exactly what time the Rolling Stones took to the stage on the night of their first gig on July 12, 1962?

Re: Question For Rolling Stones Historians
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 11, 2013 06:23

Show time?

"My little shower of sh!t"

Date: July 11, 2013 06:25

Thrylan
Show time?

"My little shower of sh!t"

Do you know the scheduled time they were supposed to appear on stage? That would be good for starters.

Date: July 11, 2013 06:28

No, I don't. Weren't some of the early gigs like goofy afternoon times?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 06:29 by Thrylan.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 11, 2013 06:30

Is this a serious question?

Date: July 11, 2013 06:36

More Hot Rocks
Is this a serious question?

Yes, and it isn't the first time I have asked it. I am guessing sometime between 8 and 10 PM?

Date: July 11, 2013 06:39

Thrylan
No, I don't. Weren't some of the early gigs like goofy afternoon times?

Could have been. That's why I am asking. Somebody around here must know.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 11, 2013 06:41

The Loch Ness Monster said it was about three fiddy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 06:42 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: StonesHistorian ()
Date: July 11, 2013 06:50

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
I have asked this question before but never got an answer. Can someone please tell me exactly what time the Rolling Stones took to the stage on the night of their first gig on July 12, 1962?
3.30pm

Date: July 11, 2013 06:53

StonesHistorian
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
3.30pm

Is this for real? It was an afternoon gig? Thank you very much.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 11, 2013 06:58

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
StonesHistorian
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
3.30pm

Is this for real? It was an afternoon gig? Thank you very much.

Yes. Well, knowing how Keith was back then and how he fell out of a coconut tree before the gig it was probably more like 3:07.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 11, 2013 07:20

Just curious, of all the questions to ask, why is this one so important to you?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 11, 2013 07:22

....20 to ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 11, 2013 07:25

Answer: Nighttime.

An afternoon headlining gig in a nightclub on a Thursday afternoon? For whom, the retired pensioners? People are going to fill up a nightclub and drink beer for a headlining act at 3 in the afternoon--on a weekday?

Brian and his band mates met up with Mick, Keith and their fellows, and their rehearsals moved slowly into what is today known as the Rolling Stones. By the spring of 1962 Mick Jagger did also vocals with Alexis Korner on stage, now performing every Thursday evening at the Marquee Club, back then on Oxford Street.

Alexis Corner's Blues Incorporated were booked to perform live on a BBC radio broadcast on July 12, 1962. As they could not fit in Mick as a 2nd vocalist, Mick could not be on stage at that BBC recording. However, the regular Thursday performance at the Marquee Club were now missing Alexis and his band, and this was the opportunity for what was Brian Jones and his band back then.

Date: July 11, 2013 07:35

stonehearted
Answer: Nighttime.

An afternoon headlining gig in a nightclub on a Thursday afternoon? For whom, the retired pensioners? People are going to fill up a nightclub and drink beer for a headlining act at 3 in the afternoon--on a weekday?

Brian and his band mates met up with Mick, Keith and their fellows, and their rehearsals moved slowly into what is today known as the Rolling Stones. By the spring of 1962 Mick Jagger did also vocals with Alexis Korner on stage, now performing every Thursday evening at the Marquee Club, back then on Oxford Street.

Alexis Corner's Blues Incorporated were booked to perform live on a BBC radio broadcast on July 12, 1962. As they could not fit in Mick as a 2nd vocalist, Mick could not be on stage at that BBC recording. However, the regular Thursday performance at the Marquee Club were now missing Alexis and his band, and this was the opportunity for what was Brian Jones and his band back then.

So the fellow that said 3:30 was incorrect?

Date: July 11, 2013 07:52

Marhsall

I am into dates and numbers. I just wanted a specific time to note the official close to the 50th anniversary year.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 11, 2013 08:01

I am into dates....Yeah Turkish or Californian?????

ROCKMAN

Date: July 11, 2013 09:35

Max'sKansasCity

I gave him $2 so he'd leave.........I gotta check on my pot roast....

Date: July 11, 2013 09:36

Rockman
....20 to ....

4:20?

Date: July 11, 2013 09:47

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
So the fellow that said 3:30 was incorrect?

They were filling in for the regular evening show done by Alexis Korner's band (Blues Incorporated). The Stones played 18 songs, so they played for about 2 hours.

All you have to do is find out what the usual starting time was for the regular Thursday evening gig for Alexis Korner's band at the Marquee. Offhand, I wouldn't know, but the info must be out there somewhere....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 09:58 by stonehearted.

Date: July 11, 2013 10:48

Can you make out a starting time on this advert (the one in the middle)? Maybe with a magnifying glass....

BI's slot at the Ealing club started at 7:30 p.m. (on Saturdays).

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 11, 2013 10:48

This is what you do:

1. Visit a park near Bill Wyman's house.
2. Bury a piece of metal (anything will do, say a lid to a can of paint) in the grass, about 1-2 feet from the surface.
3. Wait in the park. Try not to be creepy about it or the local constabulary might pick you up. Don't hide in the bushes or harass children. Using a mobile device to post ridiculous items on IORR is fine. Keep yourself busy.
4. Sooner or later, Bill will come along with his metal detector. Stay quiet! these moment are really important. the suspense needs to build up here.
5. If he is using a Bill Wyman signature metal detector (the best on the market, and a good bet he will be as it's his livelihood these days) his metal detector will go off when he points it at the region of the grass where you buried the 'treasure'
6. Before he starts to dig, or even calling for a film crew to come film him digging (for his next infomercial), jump out of the bushes
7. Tell him that what he found in the ground was yours, but that you'll let him have it if he reveals the starting time for their gig that night.

Trust me, he knows. And this plan will work. And he will be really excited to have found whatever you buried.

If you have trouble recognizing him under these circumstances, here is some help:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 10:51 by sonomastone.

Date: July 11, 2013 10:50

Aha! Looks like the Thursday night residency at the Marquee started at 7:30 p.m.

Date: July 11, 2013 11:04

Thursday nights at the Marquee club ran from 7:30 to 11 p.m., as shown in the January 1963 advert for the Marquee below....

....however, The Rollin' Stones were not alone on the bill for July 12, 1962. Also on the bill was Long John Baldry's Kansas City Blues Boys....

....and with The Rollin' Stones playing 18 songs, it's probably safe to assume that they went on at 9 p.m. and played for the remaining 2 hours of the Thursday night at the Marquee.

Above images from: [rollingstonesvaults.blogspot.com]

Set list for July 12 Marquee club gig:

Kansas City
Baby What's Wrong
Confessin' The Blues
Bright Lights, Big City
Dust My Blues
Down The Road Apiece
I'm A Love You
Bad Boy
I Ain't Got You
Hush-Hush
Ride 'Em On Down
Back In The USA
Kind Of Lonesome
Blues Before Sunrise
Big Boss Man
Don't Stay Out All Night
Tell Me You Love Me
Happy Home

Posted by: dj ()
Date: July 11, 2013 13:41

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
Marhsall

I am into dates and numbers. I just wanted a specific time to note the official close to the 50th anniversary year.

Aren't you about a year late?

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: July 11, 2013 14:15

Question for LongRanger / Watchman / Blackhat JumpinJack O Lantern - If you are such a huge fan...why have you not been to a single show this tour?

Have you ever seen them live?

Are you based in the US?

I only ask because, I'm nearly 25 and have paid out to see them 7 times now, 4 times as a student and literally had to beg/borrow/steal to make it - but I did.

Do you have no ambition to see them live?

Just a query, I know you have said previously you'll wait for the DVD release, but It really isnt the same...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 11, 2013 15:10

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain

I just wanted a specific time to note the official close to the 50th anniversary year.

Since the Hyde Park show on 13th July belongs still to the 50 & Counting Tour, the 50th anniversary year closes officially 13th July 2013, 10:30pm.

The start was on 12th July 2012 at 5:40pm as the Stones arrived at the Somerset House in London (see the video here) smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 15:20 by Irix.

Date: July 11, 2013 16:09

stonehearted
Thursday nights at the Marquee club ran from 7:30 to 11 p.m., as shown in the January 1963 advert for the Marquee below....

....however, The Rollin' Stones were not alone on the bill for July 12, 1962. Also on the bill was Long John Baldry's Kansas City Blues Boys....

....and with The Rollin' Stones playing 18 songs, it's probably safe to assume that they went on at 9 p.m. and played for the remaining 2 hours of the Thursday night at the Marquee.

Above images from: [rollingstonesvaults.blogspot.com]

Set list for July 12 Marquee club gig:

Kansas City
Baby What's Wrong
Confessin' The Blues
Bright Lights, Big City
Dust My Blues
Down The Road Apiece
I'm A Love You
Bad Boy
I Ain't Got You
Hush-Hush
Ride 'Em On Down
Back In The USA
Kind Of Lonesome
Blues Before Sunrise
Big Boss Man
Don't Stay Out All Night
Tell Me You Love Me
Happy Home

What? No Warhorses? How did the casual fan enjoy himself?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 11, 2013 16:27

Thrylan
Max'sKansasCity

Damned loch ness monster!!! Dont give him no money, or he'll jus come back for more later!! Uuuummm.... you better check that pot roast again.

Date: July 11, 2013 16:43

Max'sKansasCity
Thrylan
Max'sKansasCity

Damned loch ness monster!!! Dont give him no money, or he'll jus come back for more later!! Uuuummm.... you better check that pot roast again.

Good laws woman, why'd you give him $2!?!

Love that one.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1638
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home