Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: I love Goats Head Soup
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 11, 2013 18:03

The Stones should consider doing a greatest hits release,
at least its an idea they might monkey around with, and yes,
I know it is actually a gorilla.

Posted by: legin ()
Date: July 11, 2013 18:08

My 2nd fav Stones album...after Black And Blue....Winter my fav Stones track..simply awesome!!

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: July 11, 2013 18:15

I love it too. It was my first Stones LP. Coming Down Again. Winter, Can You Hear the Music, 100 Years Ago. I enjoy listening to it as much as anything they've ever done.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: July 11, 2013 18:19

Thrylan
I'm not real good with usernames/gender, but chicks seem to really dig this one. Guys seem to be more 50/50 with it......I find that interesting.
KatieGirl is my horse, and yes we are both female! I was lacking inspiration when trying to think of a username, but thought KatieGirl sounded better than BenBen (my Husky). I forgot to add Heartbreaker to the list of songs I like. Never cared much for Angie though.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 11, 2013 19:27

andrewt
Thrylan
Funny, while making my nasty list above, Heaven was tough, thought about Shattered, but did not CONSIDER Exile, BB or LIB.

Add Sweet Black Angel to the list (It's Indian Girl that landed on a classic album).
Imagine if I'm Not Signifying took it's place on side two..oh mercy!!!!

For some odd reason, that one hasn't grown on me, I'd say Pass the Wine, but it wouldn't work on side 2. Plundered wouldn't either. Oh well, guess we'll live with the Sweet Little Black Indian Girl....

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 11, 2013 19:29

Green Lady
Thrylan
I wish Angie, CYHTM, Moonlight Mile, Winter, TWFN, Till the Next Time, Memory Motel, Hot Stuff, Heaven and Rock and a Hard Place were on one CD, so it could keep TSMR and Dirty Work company....

Now that's an album I could certainly lose 50% of!

Lol.....It was actually hard for me to come up with 10 duds....About half of those I actually like, just not as much as most Stones tracks.

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: July 11, 2013 19:33

Love it!!!! Winter is one of their best

John Nicholls

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: July 11, 2013 19:48

Great songs on this album live sliver train angie @#$%& doo doo doo dancing with mr d winter all great songs love this album

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 11, 2013 19:50

Thrylan
Green Lady
Thrylan
I wish Angie, CYHTM, Moonlight Mile, Winter, TWFN, Till the Next Time, Memory Motel, Hot Stuff, Heaven and Rock and a Hard Place were on one CD, so it could keep TSMR and Dirty Work company....

Lol.....It was actually hard for me to come up with 10 duds....About half of those I actually like, just not as much as most Stones tracks.

Actually on re-reading the list I'd like to keep 60% of it please - the "duds" being TWFN, Till The Next Time, Hot Stuff and Rock and a Hard Place - all of which will have their passionate defenders.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2013 20:12

Green Lady
Thrylan
Green Lady
Thrylan

Actually on re-reading the list I'd like to keep 60% of it please - the "duds" being TWFN, Till The Next Time, Hot Stuff and Rock and a Hard Place - all of which will have their passionate defenders.

I refuse to passionately defend, but I will raise at least one eyebrow.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 11, 2013 20:16

Highly underrated. I always feel GHS is slighted when everyone talks of the great Jimmy Miller LPs but exclude GHS. It's a really good album, not Exile great but right under Let It Bleed. IMO.

I have always liked Hide Your Love. That bouncy piano rhythm. Always wanted to do a mash-up of Hide Your Love and Bennie & the Jets. I think it would work.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 11, 2013 21:12

There's no question the album over time suffers from being caught in between Exile & IORR...but over same period it simply becomes a matter of taste.

I quite like it, though I don't think it is as good as many of the prior releases (how can it be?).

My personal faves: 'Dancing with Mr. D,' 'Angie,' '100 Years Ago,' 'Coming Home Again.' 'Heartbreaker,' 'Winter,' and 'Star Star.'

I'm trying to remember how 'Silver Train' goes...it's been awhile since I last listened to this album all the way through.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 21:13 by nightskyman.

Date: July 11, 2013 21:15

nightskyman
There's no question the album over time suffers from being caught in between Exile & IORR...but over same period it simply becomes a matter of taste.

I quite like it, though I don't think it is as good as many of the prior releases (how can it be?).

My personal faves: 'Dancing with Mr. D,' 'Angie,' '100 Years Ago,' 'Coming Home Again.' 'Heartbreaker,' 'Winter,' and 'Star Star.'

I'm trying to remember how 'Silver Train' goes...it's been awhile since I last listened to this album all the way through.

It goes....
Silver train is a coming, think Im gonna get on now... ah I cant sing... how about

And I did not know her name
But I sure love the way that she laughed and took my money
But I sure loved the way that she laughed and called me Honey.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 21:19 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 11, 2013 21:17

Max'sKansasCity
nightskyman

It goes....
Silver train is a coming, think Im gonna get on down,.... ah I cant sing... how about

Oh yeah! I love that one! (adds to faves list)

Date: July 11, 2013 21:17

smileys with beer

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: July 12, 2013 00:37

HIDE YOUR LOVE, killer Mick Taylor track

"come on my man..."

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: July 12, 2013 01:20

I just gave it another spin in it's entirety. To me it is a great album very coherent in it's atmosphere.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 12, 2013 07:23

Love it as well, always have.

I listen to it in its entirety more often than another Stones release.

Exile my be my favorite album of all time, but Goat's Head Soup captures
such a cool understated vibe.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: July 12, 2013 10:24

Just 1 or 2 song switches would have made a huge difference IMO. "Criss Cross" - why not on there?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 12, 2013 10:25

Silver Dagger
It's a wonderful album with a totally unique vibe about it. I so wish they'd play Hide Your Love live with Mick Taylor given free rein to play one of his wonderful solos on it.

And imagine if Keith, during his live slot, said "right, the next song is gonna be Coming Down Again". The audience would flip out.

You bet they'd flip out! If they played Coming Down Again live, there'd be an even greater rush to the toilets than is usual for Keith's vocal songs. Someone might get slip and get trampled on the way to bathroom. The vast majority of the audience probably doesn't know it or anything else on that record that isn't Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, Angie or Starf-cker.

I'm not a fan of GHS, IORR or B&B. GHS is the beginning of the Stones' decline. Playing deep cuts from a lesser album is a surefire way to lose your audience onstage.

Oh, and Johnny Winter's version of Silver Train from Still Alive and Well wipes the floor with the GHS version.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-12 10:36 by ab.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 12, 2013 11:03

Promoman
I just gave it another spin in it's entirety. To me it is a great album very coherent in it's atmosphere.
Keith hangin' with the Rastas in Kingston. Definitely would be a situation with potential for volatility. Elton John started recording Yellow Brick Road @ the same studio, got scared & took off to France.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 12, 2013 13:39

crholmstrom
Promoman
Keith hangin' with the Rastas in Kingston. Definitely would be a situation with potential for volatility. Elton John started recording Yellow Brick Road @ the same studio, got scared & took off to France.

I'm sure Elton was more discrete than this, but when I read that I just had this vision of him walking through the slums of Kingston in this get-up...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 12, 2013 13:45

Too funny! I think the Rastas would believe that Jah would frown on this. BTW: I saw Elton in Vegas (for nostalgic reasons) the night before the Stones in Vegas. While not at the same level as the Stones, the show was quite enjoyable. He did Indian Summer from Madman! Still has Davey Johnstone, Nigel Olson & Ray Cooper in band. Didn't go overboard on the schmaltzy stuff & told stories between songs. He was quite funny. Worth seeing if you get the chance.

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: July 12, 2013 13:56

Authenticity was still there on that record. I can hear it on every track: emotions, improvisations, ideas, experimenting..
Of course I use to skip "Angie", but "Can You Hear The Music", "Hide Your Love", "Coming Down Again" are hidden pearls to me!
Listen to "Coming Down" on your headphones! You can hear Keith' lips, the sound when he opens his mouth to sing another verse.
These things would have been eradicated today.
Authenticity thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 13, 2013 08:43

I listened to the Virgin remaster on a long drive yesterday and although it still doesn't qualify as a great Stones album, I do see it on its own terms now. It was very sad to listen to. There's a wistfulness and undercurrent of regret. It's almost like it was time to be honest and fess up. If Coming Down Again is not about the Brian/Anita/Keith triangle then it should be.

Except for Angie, and Nicky Hopkins in other places, there almost seems there's a blanket over the guitars. They're not really prominent, as if by design, a sort of anti-Exile. Someone mentioned much earlier in the thread that there's sort of a line back to Sticky Fingers. Yes, that's obvious in Winter, with the Paul Buckmaster-ish strings at the end, although someone name Nicky Harrison did them.

By comparison to the rest of the album Silver Train and Star Star kind of stick out as thrown in rockers, like Hand of Fate and Crazy Mama on the otherwise funky Black and Blue.

It might be the last Rolling Stones album with some real heartfelt depth to it. They began to hide behind the banner of rock as entertainment after that. Maybe the period 1967 to 1972 just battered the hell out of their psyches and Goats Head Soup should have been called Aftermath 2.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 13, 2013 10:55

Keith at Terra Nova Hotel, Kingston in 1972

Photo by Koh Hasebe

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 15, 2013 00:10

Max'sKansasCity
alimente
treaclefingers
Thrylan
I'm not real good with usernames/gender, but chicks seem to really dig this one. Guys seem to be more 50/50 with it......I find that interesting.

Maybe cuz only half the songs are any good...just sayin'

Yeah, and sometimes I have the impression that people who dismiss Dancing With Mr. D, Star Star, Silver Train, Heartbreaker and others from GHS praise A Bigger Bang tracks like Rough Justice, Driving Too Fast, Dangerous Beauty, Infamy and the like.

Just talkin'...about perspective.

Both are great Stones albums...
each have 3-4 AWESOME songs, 1-2 duds and the rest are good/ok Stones songs.

I can't see any duds on GHS, at least not as low as Infamy, Dangerous Beauty, Sweet Neo-Con and Driving Too Fast.

At a closer look, even GHS outtakes like Through The Lonely Nights, Tops, Save Me/Criss Cross Mind and Waiting On Friend would be absolute highlights on A Bigger Bang.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 15, 2013 03:06

Thrylan

I wish they were on one CD so I'd only have to skip RAAHP.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-15 03:21 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: nickm8 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 03:49

great album...plain n simple

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 04:30

In my top three RS albums...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home