Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
elvis cover for this tour
Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: April 7, 2005 17:40

Not in place of a motown cover but in addition to a motown cover. It's time. There hasn't been an elvis cover (played live) since 78.

I vote for "Can't Help Falling in Love with You". Mick vocals.

Re: elvis cover for this tour
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 7, 2005 17:56

Oh I could name a few....
No room to rhumba in a sports car
Smorgasbord
Adam And Evil
Song of the Shrimp
OLD MACDONALD (I kid you not!)
FIVE SLEEPY HEADS (!!!!)
WHO NEEDS MONEY (stop it!)
CONFIDENCE (Vibrato anyone?)
HOW CAN YOU LOSE WHAT YOU NEVER HAD (Openg to comment?)
THE LOVE MACHINE (mr. jagger please step up)
PETUNIA THE GARDENER'S DAUGHTER

oooooooh there's sooo many

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 7, 2005 20:08

I think anything he did during his Sun years would be cool. How about Jailhouse Rock....the Stones would crush that

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 7, 2005 20:16

Cafaro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think anything he did during his Sun years would
> be cool. How about Jailhouse Rock....the Stones
> would crush that

I agree - always thought that would be a natural for the Stones. That's Allright Mama would also be an easy one to pull off for them. They could do it sort of like a rave-up a-la '94's version of It's All Over Now.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 7, 2005 20:18

Great thread. Excellent idea. Esplendido.

Time to dust off "Memphis, Tennessee" from earliest years.
"Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello".
"In The Ghetto"

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 7, 2005 20:18

please don't get mad... did elvis cover the stones? elvis didn't write any of his songs and with all the great jagger/richards songs i much rather they do their own stuff... if you must cover other peoples work... try doing keith's talk is cheap album!

Date: April 7, 2005 20:22

Hot Stuff,
I thought the same thing but my wife is an Elvis freak and during one of our Elvis vs Chuck Berry/Little Richard debates she pointed out many songs which he was credited in writing. Most of the stuff that is popular are covers but his name is on quite a song credits. I told my wife that it was a contractual thing but she disaagrees

Date: April 7, 2005 20:28

Following hot stuff partly:
I still want some of the Winos instead of the Mme.Tussauds-figures who crowd the Stones´ stage nowadays.

Date: April 7, 2005 20:31

hot stuff Wrote:
> please don't get mad... did elvis cover the
> stones? elvis didn't write any of his songs

what's that got to do with the price of eggs? they are great songs - who cares who wrote them?

Date: April 7, 2005 20:32

i think your wife is wrong... he never in the sense wrote anything... he may have added a word or 2 and was given credit...but he is not in any class of chuck berry, john/paul, mick/keith or elton john....
plus i don't want the stones to do anything for a person, who for the most part, hated what the stones did, sex, drugs and rock and roll..
as you may recall elvis went to see president nixon and offered his services to spy on the hippies and drug users in the music business.. well who were bigger drug users in the 70's than the stones? i want more stones and less fillers...ha!

Date: April 7, 2005 20:33

And everybody knows Elvis was not a writer.
But a karate fighter...

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: April 7, 2005 20:35

Ah yeah...

The traditional Elvis cover...

What will it be this year?

Date: April 7, 2005 20:37

and a Jailbird and surfer and fat ugly rich white guy who's wife looks like her plastic surgery was done by Edward Scissorhands.

Date: April 7, 2005 20:59

ELVIS IS KING

Date: April 7, 2005 21:03

king of what? burger king....

he was a great performer..and a great act...

Date: April 7, 2005 21:04

of Rock'n'Roll. Unchallenged.

Date: April 7, 2005 21:11

by who..the press? the only true king was chuck berry... he invented rock and roll.... but because he was black, he didn't get the tv or radio time that elvis did...but he could write,sing, dance... most of todays riff's were 1st played by berry.... elvis couldn't write, play....but was a great singer...
and he was very sexy..... berry had a darker edge to him...looks a little rough too! elvis covered someone else's dreams, work and visions..berry did his own...thats the mark of a true king...his works will live on!!
most people can't name 5 elvis songs...they know his name but not his songs!

Date: April 7, 2005 21:15

that's bunk. Berry didn't invent anything - he wrote some cool songs and stole song cool licks. Elvis was no "media creation" - he single-handedly put an image to rock'r'roll that lives on to this very day. Without Elvis, there would have been no Jagger, Daltry or any other "face" or "frontman" to rock'n'roll. Get real.

Date: April 7, 2005 21:28

thats not true... there were many great singer well before elvis... just ask chuck berry, james brown... i never heard anyone say that chuck berry stole anything...i don't want to be mean, but i think you had to just make that up... because it isn't true... i only said that elvis was not king because he just sang other peoples stuff... even jerry lee lewis had more gifts, and if not for booze and pills would have been bigger than elvis!
elvis was a star...a man with loads of talent..just like the singers on american idol....but to be king you need to start something, like berry, the beatles, the stones, muddy waters, rdmc,.....

there is no other rock star who heled jagger.... he is a true rock star...
he had big lips, was not real good looking..had long hair... talked like a low class englishmen. did and said what he wanted...wrote his own stuff...did it his way...had early songs titled, stupid girl, back street girl, under my thumb,etc. elvis did nothing for mick jagger.......or the rolling stones...
even the old saying, drugs, sex and rock and roll was coined after the rolling stones!!!!!!

Date: April 7, 2005 21:49

Ask Jagger who invented "the rock star." He'll tell you. Berry didn't steal? Ask Johnnie Johnson. I didn't say there weren't rock singers before Elvis - but the ones you cite came after him. I said Elvis put an image and face (and body) on the music...without that rock'n'roll would never have evolved. I think you are quite biased against the man and it shows with your poor discussion of the facts.

Date: April 7, 2005 22:01

please don't give me this.. elvis started his career in 1954..chuck the true king berry started in 1952..... elvis copied berry and they all copied muddy waters, nat king cole....

johnnie played the panio and chuch the guitar riffs...jagger/richards took berry lead... but didn't copy elvis...

elvis is FAR BIGGER dead with his record sales than when he was alive...
elvis was and is the true press king!

i like elvis...great singer....but he is no mozart, cole, berry, lennon or jagger!
they wrote and really started something...came from their hearts, minds and soul and gave it to the world...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 7, 2005 22:13

How about "Hard Headed Woman" dedicated to Bianca!

Date: April 7, 2005 22:16

Berry didn't touch the charts until '55
Berry stole the guitar licks from Johnson - that's in litigation and has plenty of facts to support it
Elvis has sold millions of records before and after death - what's that got to do with the debate?

get your facts straight if you want to have an intelligent discussion, otherwise....NEXT?!!!!

Date: April 7, 2005 22:28

or Keith!

Date: April 7, 2005 22:30

Come o n, folks... What are we dealing with here?
Elvis or Chuckster? Why choose?
The former is a karate kidster and a cop wannabe. And THE KING.
The latter is Keefsters nightmare and a strange creature from outer space.
And The Rock 'n' Roll Man No 1.

We´d better be discussin how, in a positive sense, they´ve influenced each other.
...Arent they two sides of the same coin?

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: April 7, 2005 22:33

Don´t we remember Hound Dog anymore?? Memphis June 28,1978

The Stones can't play Elvis songs the way The King did it. And Elvis can't play Elvis. Way to different from eachother. But Elvis and The Stones have one thing in common: Their love for R&B. Maybe The Stones can play Jimmy Reeds' Baby what do you want me to do like the way Elvis did it...

Date: April 7, 2005 22:43

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> Come o n, folks... What are we dealing with
> here?
> Elvis or Chuckster? Why choose?
> The former is a karate kidster and a cop wannabe.
> And THE KING.
> The latter is Keefsters nightmare and a strange
> creature from outer space.
> And The Rock 'n' Roll Man No 1.
>
> We´d better be discussin how, in a positive sense,
> they´ve influenced each other.
> ...Arent they two sides of the same coin?

I enjoy a good, healthy sharing of varying opinions - but when facts are mis-cited and used to support the opinion, that agitates me. I love Chuck and Elvis equally - both were obviously enornmous influences on the Stones. But, let's not diss THE KING with poor documentation to support such assertions. To say he was merely a media creation is utter and total folly.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 7, 2005 22:44

There's No Room To Rumba In A Sports Car, would be a good one or what about Mick standing on Chuck's piano doin' Clambake....!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: April 7, 2005 23:20

What kinda posts are this?

Posted by: Smalltowns ()
Date: April 7, 2005 23:32

Elvis is totaly overrated! He knew this himself! Thats why he died cause of drug abuse! He covered Berry Songs to be like him!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home