Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: elvis cover for this tour
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 8, 2005 00:35

No one can deny Elvis' impact..Period. Many of us are too young and or too jaded to truely understand the phenominon. As I see it, no one else was bringing rock and roll to the "masses" that was the performer that Elvis was. The majority of people in the 50s didn;t really know who Chuck Berry or Carl Perkins, or Little Richard were. The were still listening to Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Arnold.

Elvis was a teenage thing. The Colenel got him and make a joke(in my opinion) out of him and took the initial rebellion out of Elvis.People weren't complaining about a white boy poisioning people's minds with black music anymore.

I agree with the Elvis detractors up to a point but one must understand that once he left Sun, he was no longer a rock "artist" like the people we talk about here and love, he was an entertainer and nothing more. If you watch the '68 Come Back Special, that is evident. The way he fakes it throught Jimmy Reed's song is just silly but he's doing it with a wink in his eye. He doesn't care, he's just having fun.

Elvis is overrated if you think of him as more than an entertainer.His diehard fans understand this and they don't compare him to rock bands and blues and country artists. They see him a great entertainer, an act.

Keith of course is completely straight

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: April 8, 2005 03:11

gotta be "promised land" which is a berry no. Elvis covered.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 8, 2005 09:32

bartman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don´t we remember Hound Dog anymore?? Memphis June
> 28,1978
> ---

Hey man; If I wrote to you, could you possibly burn it or mail it to me?
S'pose you have it. Would kill for that three minutes...

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 8, 2005 12:59

Aaaaaaaah, at least ROCKMAN has got some humour.....Mick doing Clambake....Fantastic!! How about ,long legged girls with short dreeses' on? Could we be sure that Woody could play the parts though mmmmmmmmmmm.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 8, 2005 18:01

the other question is...if you want jagger to cover elvis...does that mean mick has to pull his hair back and use a ton of hair spray and grow long side burns... get a 50's white rine stone jump suit...and then book vegas?

why does everyone want the greatest ROCK and roll band to cover other peoples work? i want to hear jagger/richards...not berry, elvis, the beatles, monkee's,the o jay's, etc...... i want them to put out a great new album..
i want them to be 30 again.. i want all the girls at the concert to fall in love with me..i want to be in the front row for every concert the stones do in the usa.. i want them to invite me back after each show for a drink...
i was ask santa for all this.....ha!

Posted by: elvisloose ()
Date: April 8, 2005 18:39

i think keith should play "guitar man"

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: April 8, 2005 18:55

"does that mean mick has to pull his hair back and use a ton of hair spray and grow long side burns"

Haa, in Performance he did, and boy, he looked bad. Also in that Man from Alysian Fiels (or whatever it is called) he pulled his hair back and that didn't seem to suit for him.

And hey: look at that Dogshit cover: ain't he posing like Elvis with that unsuitable guitar (and look horrible)?

I suppose it is better that Mick Jagger will not try to imitate Elvis... By that way, I think the decent reading of "Hound Dog" ('78) was done quite a wink in a eye-attitude (at least by Mick) - like "Twenty Fligt Rock" in the following tour. I feel that Jagger does not really seem to relate to that sort of 'white teddy boy rock and roll of the fifties'-thing (maybe Buddy Holly was once, very long ago, an expection). He always seems to be more home in covering, imitating and interpreting black artists (that usually turns out to be highly original and inspiring), and also imitating young Mick Jagger (you know, that cool icon of the 60's..) in haircutwise. Combing hair back... just don't suit you, Sir.

Cafaro, a nice account of Elvis as entertainer! I highly agree. Expect for that brief but legendary Sun period, I don't really consider him a ROCK singer or artist at all. (Also I think that musically he didn't contribute anything to the history of rock AFTER Sun and his early big smash hits that introduced rock and roll to masses.) He turned out to be an expectional, charismatic entertainer with a voice of Century, but for him I think it was just the same if the song originated from Jimmy Reed or Frank Sinatra. He would interpret it with his own peculiar way.

It took me years to take this "king of rock and roll" seriously, until I finally realized that one should not think him as a rock and roller, but as a genious show man. Nowadays I enjoy him wholeheartedly. There is magic in his music, or at least in his voice.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-08 19:00 by Rorty.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 8, 2005 20:09

hot stuff Wrote:
> >
> why does everyone want the greatest ROCK and roll
> band to cover other peoples work?

'Cos we're tired of hearing the same old, same old and the Stones haven't proven they can write anything decent in a long time.

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: April 8, 2005 20:30

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> bartman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Don´t we remember Hound Dog anymore?? Memphis
> June
> > 28,1978
> > ---
>
> Hey man; If I wrote to you, could you possibly
> burn it or mail it to me?
> S'pose you have it. Would kill for that three
> minutes...
>
>
>
> No problem: Just send my an a-mail on joram.bartman@gmail.com
>

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: April 8, 2005 23:23

Hound dog like in the 70'ies

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 9, 2005 19:46

Hey Bartman; Thanks and thanks again.
You got mail.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2168
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home