Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

the band
Posted by: dutchy ()
Date: April 7, 2005 10:25

Yesterday i watched the Last Waltz again and was again impressed by the whole band's musicanship. I just recently got in to the band through a friend and loved it from the first moment i hearded it.
Are there any more band fans on this forum?

Re: the band
Date: April 7, 2005 10:35

I think they were great!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 7, 2005 10:48

So do I.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: April 7, 2005 11:03

Me too. They had a great sound and a few really good songs.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 7, 2005 11:33

yes, I'm a big fan too

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 7, 2005 11:39

I do fall into the choir. Even like Robbie R.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 7, 2005 12:13

Like them, got a best of and the stuff they did with Dylan. Really liked Robbie Robertsons first album although it is a bit 80s now and, dare I mention it here, has U2 on it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 7, 2005 12:43

Keith cut Deuce And A Quarter with band members Levon Helm, Rick Danko & Garth Hudson.

All The Kings Men - Sweet Fish SWET 0002-2

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 7, 2005 13:14

I love the moment on the Last Waltz when Clapton guitar strap cuts loose and Robbie just picks it right up and plays the solo.
Also, i think it was Neil Young, who was so far out of his head because of all the drugs. You'd never see that again these days with a rock 'n roll band!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: April 7, 2005 14:24

"I got it now Robbie"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 7, 2005 15:07

Wuudy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love the moment on the Last Waltz when Clapton
> guitar strap cuts loose and Robbie just picks it
> right up and plays the solo.
> Also, i think it was Neil Young, who was so far
> out of his head because of all the drugs. You'd
> never see that again these days with a rock 'n
> roll band!
>
> Wuudy

ya reckon? LOL

I liked the story that Neil walked onstage not realising there was a huge white piece of cocaine dangling from his nostril which he'd snorted just seconds before, and proceeded to sing "Helpless" with it still there.

It cost Scorsese quite a lot of money to have it edited out of the scene frame by frame

Neil Diamond walked into the wings after his own guest performance and said to anyone who cared to listen "man, you're gonna have to go some to follow me - I was great" to which Dylan deadpanned, "What do ya want me to do? Go onstage and fall asleep?"

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 7, 2005 18:38

they've always been my favorite North American band. But, don't rely on Last Waltz as your point of reference - it was HEAVILY overdubbed. Check out Rock of Ages if you want to hear them at their best as a live act. Their first two studio albums are as good as good gets, too.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 7, 2005 23:23

Gazza Wrote:
> ya reckon? LOL
>
> I liked the story that Neil walked onstage not
> realising there was a huge white piece of cocaine
> dangling from his nostril which he'd snorted just
> seconds before, and proceeded to sing "Helpless"
> with it still there.
>
> It cost Scorsese quite a lot of money to have it
> edited out of the scene frame by frame
>

That "coke booger" story is true. Remember reading about in Rollling Stone, although they discretely never mentioned who had the boogie.

Karl

Posted by: mark ()
Date: April 8, 2005 00:02

Wuddy....you nailed it, that moment Robbie picks up after Eric's broken string realy shows why both The Band were great and Eric in my opinion is a little overrated.

I have heard it said Garth Hudson is considered in the top 50 musicians of the centry.Then there was their "there is no band leader" concept.

I did a head count on that show and noted that 50-60% were Canadians. The show plays regularly on the First Nations channel in Canada as Robbie is part Canadian First Nations.

I have also heard that hey were considered the tightest band in rock due to Ronnie Hawkins practice of making them practice into the we hours after gigs.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 8, 2005 00:37

I'm a fan, too. I saw the Last Waltz when it originally came out, and again when it was reissued on the 25th anniversary. What great concert footage, and what great talent the Band was.

Date: April 8, 2005 00:41

For those who haven't been following - Levon's voice is coming back. He's singing now occasionally with his band. But, he has avowed that he won't sing any Band tunes again, out of deference. His voice sounds surprisingly good, considering what he's been through. The Band was the only band in rock history blessed with 3 GREAT voices....each one could melt you.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 8, 2005 00:52

Ollabelle have covered the Stones, I Am Waiting on their self titled album. Levon Helms plays drums on two tracks, his daughter Amy is vocalist for the group.

Ollabelle - Ollabelle - 2004 - DMZ/Columbia 90572

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: April 8, 2005 01:33

Thanks to my older brother (he has some virtues), I was indoctrinated right away from the Big Pink album onwards and was heartbroken at their decision to call it quits in 1976, as it meant that I would never ever see them live in the flesh. My brother ribbed me for years about that as he saw them backing Dylan (as the Hawks) at the Liverpool Odeon in 1966. Bastard!

PS. I think their live takes on Before the Flood are far better than anything on the Last Waltz.

Date: April 8, 2005 01:40

I saw them before Danko checked out - at the GAMH in SF in 1996 - even without Robbie and Richard - it was one kick-ass rock'n'roll band. Robbie's contributions were waaaaaay overrated...his songwriting contributions were dubious (really don't know who wrote what). Always loved his understated guitar licks....but to me the Band's primary attributes were it's 3 singers.

Saw Levon with Amy and a blues band about 4 years ago - he had Bobby Keys along on the tour. Great show and fun.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: April 8, 2005 19:34

Somebody said Robbie has all the writing credits and took the lion's share
of the profits from their recordings?? aka - screwed the rest of the members..

Sound familiar: (Jagger/Richards .... Mick Taylor)

MLC

Posted by: Beaver ()
Date: April 8, 2005 20:20

I saw The Last Waltz in the movies in 78, I think. Bought it recently on DVD and really dug it. Saw them live in Oslo on the tour after the Jericho album. Must have been in '93 or '94. Levon was so drunk he had to be helped to be seated. They also had an extra drummer playing with Levon. Later Danko said Levon had a bit of the "tour-flu" during the Oslo gig. It was fun though.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: April 9, 2005 04:05

OMG MCDDTLC and NO ONE in the group could play with Vibrato...how in the hell did they do it? If only they would have had the sense of you and Open G, they would have hired Taylor, maybe then they would have finally been able to produce art and have survived instead of gasping out with the Last Waltz!

LOL seriously, the band never got the credit from the public it deserved, it should have been HUGE. But the Last Waltz shows how much their fellow musicians respected them. I even enjoyed Robbie's first solo album, though since have lost track.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 9, 2005 04:23

Robertson is one of my favorite guitarists.
I play guitar, and I mention him as my favorite
right after KR, MT, and RW.
Listen to him on Dylan's Before The Flood. Great playing.
Too bad he pretty much gave up the guitar for being a Hollywood guy
who sits behind a desk working for David Geffen.
See what hanging around Hollywood too long will do?

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: April 13, 2005 20:34

In anyway, The Band is still one of the best bands in the world. There incredibly sound, the angel himself on organ: Garth Hudson and Richard's unique kind of singing are still unforgetable. But unfortunately the history's over untill Rick's gone.....
God bless the rest of the Band members.
So do you think the Stones should take a Band cover on tour? Perhaps with Levon Helm on additional drums and vocals?

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 13, 2005 22:31

Why not? They've got half of the population of the western hemisphere on stage.

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: April 13, 2005 22:39

Elmo, I'm in total agreement with you. But which song should they perform with Levon on vocals? Up on creple creek?

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: April 13, 2005 22:47

Actually...it's "They got it now Robbie"...

Still ticked folks didn't take me to the show. My mom, dad, step-dad & freind of the family all went...

Granted I was 9 months old...but c'mon...I was still hip...

They didn't even take me to Altamont, but I can't blame em so much on that one.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: April 13, 2005 22:57

One of the greatest bands ever. All straight from the heart stuff.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: dutchy ()
Date: April 14, 2005 14:59

I thinh they should do "the weight"
levon starts it and then trades vocals with keith,mick and lisa
that would be very nice

"Take a load of annie,take a load for free"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home