Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Novelist Stephen King on bitter fans
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 9, 2013 09:47

Don't know what made me think of this (yeah, right) but Stephen King said in a TV interview (paraphrase from memory):

KING: "Sometimes I'll be heading with my family to a table in a restaurant or some such and a fan will stop me to sign some books. And I'll tell him it's family time and I don't want to disrupt it to sign books. And often these fans will react with surprising hostility. And it took me a while to figure out what was going on in their brains: "Why can't I be you?!"

Interesting.

Re: OT: Novelist Stephen King on bitter fans
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 9, 2013 09:56

Oh, the horror, the horror!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 9, 2013 09:58

stonehearted
Oh, the horror, the horror!

Perfect! Thank you and goodnight, this thread is over.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 9, 2013 10:31

King is such a mediocre author.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 9, 2013 10:49

He's lucky the fan didn't eat his family.

(Hey... this IS a Stephen King thread).

Posted by: WoodsterHolland ()
Date: July 9, 2013 11:21

Hi Windmelody,

While I repsect you're opinion, please present it as such. Now it seems like you are THE authority on who is a great author or not.

Indeed, I love reading Stephen King, I believe a lot of his stuff is brilliant.
Just my opinion though.

Regards, Kees

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 9, 2013 13:50

King also said that the Beatles peaked in 1963 with She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand, and that it was all pretty much downhill after that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 16:07 by tatters.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 9, 2013 14:11

WoodsterHolland
Hi Windmelody,

While I repsect you're opinion, please present it as such. Now it seems like you are THE authority on who is a great author or not.

Just my opinion though.

Regards, Kees
He didn't present it as an opinion?

I have no opinion on King, but he said he doesn't like him, you said you do. You say he has the right to an opinion and then jumped all over him for expressing it.

Here's a clue: this is the internet. EVERYTHING here is someone's opinion. There's no need to preface or end every post with a disclaimer: "Just My Opinion," it's understood. I know, people really hate reading others' opinions with which they disagree, but that's the way it is.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 9, 2013 14:16

Rokyfan

I know, people really hate reading others' opinions with which they disagree, but that's the way it is.

Posted by: WoodsterHolland ()
Date: July 9, 2013 15:14

Great movie, just my opinion though smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 9, 2013 16:03

Just my opinion but too bad that King, for his 11/22/63 novel fell prey to the old and ridiculous idea that Lee harvey Oswald was the (lone) gunner.

Wiki : "Oswald, who is vocal about his support for Communist causes, is depicted as an ill-tempered loner who acts out of a self-absorbed desire for fame".
Hey Steve this is the BS they wanted ppl to swallow back in the 1960's! confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 16:16 by dcba.

Date: July 9, 2013 16:25

dcba
Just my opinion but too bad that King, for his 11/22/63 novel fell prey to the old and ridiculous idea that Lee harvey Oswald was the (lone) gunner.

Wiki : "Oswald, who is vocal about his support for Communist causes, is depicted as an ill-tempered loner who acts out of a self-absorbed desire for fame".
Hey Steve this is the BS they wanted ppl to swallow back in the 1960's! confused smiley

I agree. I even think he was paid/persuaded to sell the lone gunman line.

But some parts of the story were brilliant. The last chapter especially.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 9, 2013 16:45

GravityBoy
dcba

I agree. I even think he was paid/persuaded to sell the lone gunman line.

But some parts of the story were brilliant. The last chapter especially.

It had a very strong beginning but bogged down when the protagonist goes into excruciating detail about the school play, stalking Oswald, pound cake, broomsticks in bed, and a tedious defloration sex scene. The ending was frustrating to me, if inevitable. I'm reading "Joyland" now and so far, it's great summer stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 16:46 by bleedingman.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 9, 2013 16:55

Oswald did kill JFK alone. Its an open and shut case. You fell for a hoax my friend..

Personally I also think King is a weak author. He is the type of author that will have a town invaded by vampires, and have someone just go about their normal routines. Like have a high school kid see a vampire the night before for the first time but then go to school the next day and be worried about basketball practice. Awful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 17:05 by stanlove.

Date: July 9, 2013 16:59

where is your proof that he was paid to say Oswald did it alone? IS that just a hunch?

Date: July 9, 2013 17:00

The description of Oswald is right on there...

Date: July 9, 2013 17:06

Why did Ruth Paine have a filing cabinet full of reports of pro-Castro activists?

Just your average American housewife (that Stephen King ignored).

And then then there was Oswalds time in New Orleans (which Stephen King ignored).

Then there is the redacted files on Oswald that the FBI and the CIA still won't release.

Oh yeah... and the single bullet trajectory doesn't work from the 6th floor TBSD (Dales Mayers made a CGI of it to "prove" it worked and was caught red-handed fixing the visuals).

There is a very long list of lots of things.

There is a great book by James Douglass called "JFK and the Unspeakble, why he died and why it matters".

I suggest you read it.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 9, 2013 17:36

WoodsterHolland
Hi Windmelody,

Just my opinion though.

Regards, Kees

Kees, enjoy your lecture, I like authors other people do not find too impressive. King has millions of fans, and it is good if they enjoy his books.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 9, 2013 17:42

GravityBoy

There is a great book by James Douglass called "JFK and the Unspeakble, why he died and why it matters".

I suggest you read it.

Fantastic book that goes into painstaking well-researched detail. A real eye-opener.

Date: July 9, 2013 19:07

Let me humbly suggest this one...
[www.amazon.com]

it'll leave you in awe.
Quote : "After three decades of research, Matthew Smith has uncovered a second plot—a plot in which Oswald’s true role in the assassination is exposed"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 9, 2013 19:13

The only thing more boring than Kennedy conspiracy nuts are Brian Jones conspiracy nuts. Maybe Brian had Kennedy killed...yeah, that's the ticket.

Date: July 9, 2013 22:44

24FPS
The only thing more boring than Kennedy conspiracy nuts are Brian Jones conspiracy nuts.

"Ignorance is strength" - George Orwell in "1984"

Date: July 10, 2013 04:48

GravityBoy
Why did Ruth Paine have a filing cabinet full of reports of pro-Castro activists?

And then then there was Oswalds time in New Orleans (which Stephen King ignored).

Then there is the redacted files on Oswald that the FBI and the CIA still won't release.

Oh yeah... and the single bullet trajectory doesn't work from the 6th floor TBSD (Dales Mayers made a CGI of it to "prove" it worked and was caught red-handed fixing the visuals).

I suggest you read it.

Prove that Paine had filling cabinets full of that..This will be flimsy. Most CT don't even trot that out..

YOu mean Oswald's time in NO when he was passing out pro commie fliers? Who cares if King doesn't talk about it..You are just looking for any aquard peg to jam in a round hole..This is what CT do.

Typical of a CT. He says he knows there are cia files on Oswald, but he doesn't know what they say, but he assumes they prove conspiracy..This is the way you people work.

Meyers fixed nothing, its just that amatuers who are looking for a conspiracy claim he messed up. The amatuers are what run the conspiracy arguments.

JFK and the unspeakable is just one more conspiracy book full of half truths, cherry picking, and lies..

One question for you..If Paine was behind the assassination, and the filing cabinets were full of evieence to prove it why would would she leave them in her house for people to find when they searched her house after the assassination that she knew was about to take place..HUH..

The problem with conspiracy evidence is it never even makes any sense.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 10, 2013 05:03

tatters
Rokyfan

I know, people really hate reading others' opinions with which they disagree, but that's the way it is.

Look, some new sh!t has came to light here....lots of ins and outs, and what have yous.....

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: July 10, 2013 05:04

24FPS
The only thing more boring than Kennedy conspiracy nuts are Brian Jones conspiracy nuts. Maybe Brian had Kennedy killed...yeah, that's the ticket.

That's right...because Brian knew that Kennedy knew that the Japanese were going to attack Pearl Harbour

Date: July 10, 2013 07:13

stanlove
Prove that Paine had filling cabinets full of that..This will be flimsy. Most CT don't even trot that out..

Educate yourself.

[jfkassassination.net]

The statement of Buddy Walters County of Dallas Sherrifs Department. Nov 1962

"Upon searching this house we found stacks of hand bills concerning "Cuba for Freedom" advertising, seeking publicity and support for Cuba. Also found was a set of metal file cabinets containing records that appeared to be names and activities of Cuban sympathizers. All of this evidence was confiscated and turned over to Captain Fritz of the Dallas Police Department and Secret Service Officers at the City Hall."

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 10, 2013 07:22

dcba

and they swallowed it!

Date: July 10, 2013 07:24

If you buy that Oswald acted alone, why Jack Ruby?

Date: July 10, 2013 07:32

stanlove
GravityBoy

I suggest you read it.

YOu mean Oswald's time in NO when he was passing out pro commie fliers? Who cares if King doesn't talk about it..You are just looking for any aquard peg to jam in a round hole..This is what CT do.

Typical of a CT. He says he knows there are cia files on Oswald, but he doesn't know what they say, but he assumes they prove conspiracy..This is the way you people work.

Meyers fixed nothing, its just that amatuers who are looking for a conspiracy claim he messed up. The amatuers are what run the conspiracy arguments.

JFK and the unspeakable is just one more conspiracy book full of half truths, cherry picking, and lies..

Sort of like the Warren Commission report.

Date: July 10, 2013 07:32

You do know that Ruth Paine was married to the stepson of the man who invented the Bell 47 helicopter (the Mash chopper) ? Michael Paine.

You do know that Ruth Paines mother was a friend of the mistress of Alan Dulles, head of the CIA?

You do know that Oswalds and the Paine's friend George de Mohrenschildt was a personal friend of the Bouvier family and Jackie referred to him as "Uncle George"?

For a low-life defector, Oswald walked in some pretty connected circles.

We could play six degrees of Lee Oswald but you'd only need two in most cases.

You simply can not look at LHO and dismiss it all as "lone nut".

Why would the FBI and CIA still have unreleased files on him?

Then there's Jack Ruby... oh Jack Ruby... the patriot...

If you don't want to ask hard questions then have a nice life.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home