Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Pearl Jam announces tour
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 9, 2013 21:55

jamesfdouglas
I love when American bands do a "North American Tour", with 1-2 Canadian dates...

There are probably fewer Canadian dates because they play Canada and tour Canada all the time. They've played more concerts in Canada the past couple of years than the U.S. Did a 15 city tour of Canada in '05, a 9 city tour in '11, and have played other shows in Canada in-between. They've played Saskatoon more times in the last 10 years (twice) than they've played Dallas (zero, until November that is).

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: October 9, 2013 23:14

Cant' wait for this tour. I've seen them 44 times since 1996. I have a streak of seeing them every year since 2003, and this year will be:

1. Wrigley field already happened in July
2. Worcester 1
3. Worcester 2
4. Hartford
5. NYC

I was going to go to Pittsburg and Buffalo, but I got engaged and the fiancée just doesn't understand the concept of going to multiple shows, even though I explained its a different set list every night, needless to say, I'm not (can't) go to Pittsburgh and Buffalo . . . God, I love that band! Gen X'ers Unite!!!! ("troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight" . . .)

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 10, 2013 21:54

NoCode0680
jamesfdouglas
I love when American bands do a "North American Tour", with 1-2 Canadian dates...

There are probably fewer Canadian dates because they play Canada and tour Canada all the time. They've played more concerts in Canada the past couple of years than the U.S. Did a 15 city tour of Canada in '05, a 9 city tour in '11, and have played other shows in Canada in-between. They've played Saskatoon more times in the last 10 years (twice) than they've played Dallas (zero, until November that is).

My Pearl Jam Obsessed Girlfriend just happily confirmed what you just said. Fair enough, the Seattle vibe has always been Canaidan in flavour, eh?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 10, 2013 21:56

jamesfdouglas
NoCode0680
jamesfdouglas

My Pearl Jam Obsessed Girlfriend just happily confirmed what you just said. Fair enough, the Seattle vibe has always been Canaidan in flavour, eh?

Why don't they just throw in the towel and move to Vancouver already? They know they like it here better!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 11, 2013 04:56

treaclefingers
jamesfdouglas
NoCode0680
jamesfdouglas

Why don't they just throw in the towel and move to Vancouver already? They know they like it here better!

Garbage...we may have somehow given you mayonnaise inadvertently...but you will never...not ever take our jam...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 11, 2013 08:42

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
jamesfdouglas
NoCode0680
jamesfdouglas

Garbage...we may have somehow given you mayonnaise inadvertently...but you will never...not ever take our jam...

Fair is fair...you've taken our Celine Dion, the least we'd like in return is a little jam.

Date: October 13, 2013 03:50

Just got my physical copy of Lightning Bolt today. For all the complaining people do about Ten Club's shipping, I've never had any problems, and for every new studio album I've ordered from them I've gotten it on or before the street date every time. 2 days before this time.

I wonder what this exclusive member's only content is. I figured, and was hoping, it was just another 1-2 concerts to choose from for download like they did with Backspacer. But whatever it is they're keeping it on the hush until the 14th when it officially goes on sale.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 13, 2013 06:43

Opening night setlist from last night. Not the most inspiring. 7 new songs. Opening with a slow new song and a bunch of obscure stuff in between.
[www.setlist.fm]

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 13, 2013 09:50

sweetcharmedlife
Opening night setlist from last night. Not the most inspiring. 7 new songs. Opening with a slow new song and a bunch of obscure stuff in between.
[www.setlist.fm]
Not to burst your bubble, but thats just kind of Pearl Jam. They do what they want and they don't have to answer to anyone. They are the exact opposite of the Stones or Tom Petty in that they don't feel they need to play ANYTHING every night. Yeah, most likely you'll hear Alive, Better Man, Rearviewmiorror, and Even Flow, but NOTHING is guaranteed from them, even those songs I listed. Its what you have to admire about them and its what many love.

Personally, aside from the new songs, thats a really good setlist IMO. You don't really go to see Pearl Jam rock out, you just go to see them play whatever great songs in their catalog they decide to play that night. Of course they will always rock out, but they will also always play obscure stuff. The new album hasn't connected with me yet so those are the songs I don't care about, but they have a new album and its expected they'd play a lot of it.

Another great set tonight. All different songs aside from most of the new stuff and about 4 other songs. It really is extremely impressive the different sets the play every night. Mind boggling to a Stones fan. I mean, in two nights they've already play 9 of the 12 songs from their new album. Whether the album is good or not, they certainly get it out there. Also, they are kind of perfect for the internet age, when you can instantly see what was played every night and hope your show is different. I don't blame the Stones in that way because it was a different time and you played specific songs for a tour. Its different now and its just that Pearl Jam was ahead of the game and its why they're still on top.

Tonight's set:

1. Pendulum
2. Low Light
3. Sometimes
4. Corduroy
5. Lightning Bolt
6. Mind Your Manners
7. Do the Evolution
8. Immortality
9. My Father's Son (Live debut)
10. Even Flow
11. Swallowed Whole (Live debut)
12. Sirens
13. Once
14. Comatose
15. I Got Id
16. Infallible
17. Present Tense
18. State of Love and Trust
19. Porch

Encore:
20. Off He Goes
21. Yellow Moon
22. Future Days
23. Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town
24. Rats
25. Got Some
26. Rearviewmirror

Encore 2:
27. Go
28. Alive
29. Baba O'Riley (The Who cover)
30. Indifference

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-13 09:56 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 13, 2013 10:30

BluzDude
[pearljam.com]

I don't follow them so I thought they were kind of retired......
Instead their website shows they are out on tour every year between 16-30 dates each year. They hit Europe, Latin America, America and Australia/NZ

They are smart to stay in shape, not get rusty. They are raking in some millions each year so a good steady income plus this promotes group cohesion. They have their income formula down pat. Steady and slow instead of long tours where you get burnt out and end up hating each other.

A contrast with The Stones who don't tour for years at a time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-13 10:33 by triceratops.

Date: October 14, 2013 02:04

I agree RollingFreak. And while that wouldn't be the setlist I'd choose, I'm not sure what's "uninspired" about it. They didn't come out and play a greatest hits setlist or anything, and it's a pretty decent mixture of rockers and slower material and spanning their career. I do like the Buffalo setlist better, it has more songs that I'd personally pick for a setlist, so it's just taste. Like: Immortality, Go, Once, Off He Goes, Low Light, Present Tense, I Got Shit, State Of Love And Trust, Indifference, etc.

Just glad Ole hasn't been in the setlists so far.

Date: October 14, 2013 02:58

NoCode0680
I agree RollingFreak. And while that wouldn't be the setlist I'd choose, I'm not sure what's "uninspired" about it. They didn't come out and play a greatest hits setlist or anything, and it's a pretty decent mixture of rockers and slower material and spanning their career. I do like the Buffalo setlist better, it has more songs that I'd personally pick for a setlist, so it's just taste. Like: Immortality, Go, Once, Off He Goes, Low Light, Present Tense, I Got Shit, State Of Love And Trust, Indifference, etc.

Just glad Ole hasn't been in the setlists so far.
Totally agree. I saw a really good show in 2010 at the Garden last tour, so I got to cross off a lot of songs I really wanted. Present Tense, Breath, Not For You, Spin The Black Circle, Black, Rearviewmirror, so now my outlook on setlists has been skewed. I love most of their shows just because they can play anything, but I'm now really hoping for Breakerfall, Nothing As It Seems, I Got Id, Off He Goes, State Of Love And Trust, Once, Porch, Animal and Go this tour (too bad I'm only seeing one show and definitely won't get them all). But basically its great there's the ability to hear any of those at any show, and the way their setlists goes is they are ALL good but people have their own specific preferences.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 18, 2013 19:27

Their setlists are becoming more interesting, especially when they do multiple shows at the same venue. Really looking forward to the 2 upcoming shows in L.A.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 18, 2013 19:34

sweetcharmedlife
[www.setlist.fm]

Jeez..I dunno, Fred. When Springsteen does stuff like that guys like you and I are doing cartwheels over it.

If the Stones did it, I'd probably die of shock.

I'm a recent convert to Pearl Jam and my only show was in Manchester last year when I was over there to see Bruce the following night. I thought it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to - even though I only knew about half of the songs. And the setlist the night before at the same venue was about 80-85% different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-18 19:36 by Gazza.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 18, 2013 19:37

Gazza
sweetcharmedlife
[www.setlist.fm]

Jeez..I dunno, Fred. When Springsteen does stuff like that guys like you and I are doing cartwheels over it.

Hi Gazza - Didn't Keith once or more say that a concert must start with a kick ass rocker?

Date: October 18, 2013 20:36

Chris Fountain
Gazza
sweetcharmedlife
[www.setlist.fm]

Hi Gazza - Didn't Keith once or more say that a concert must start with a kick ass rocker?

I would love to see Bruce open a show with the acoustic version of No Surrender.

Posted by: MidnightLurker ()
Date: October 19, 2013 09:02

I saw Worcester #1 Tuesday, same day as the new album. Recent fan as well, never seen them before. Incredible show, 3 hours long, 32! songs. Was hoping to hear their radio play hits (Black, Daughter, Jeremy) but they played those at Worcester #2 instead, which was a totally different show than Worcester #1. Did get Better Man and Last Kiss however. I only knew half the songs but the music sounded great, including the new stuff. Ed's voice is one of the best for sure and they really rocked hard. Best American band I would say. Agree with what others have said - They don't play what they think the audience "has" to hear. They play what they want and alwyas mix it up. If you go to both shows in a city, you will hear a ton of different songs. That is the way it really should be rather than hearing the same songs every night.

Posted by: MidnightLurker ()
Date: October 19, 2013 09:06

Recent quote from Ed in Rolling Stone -

Can you imagine pushing into your seventies, like the Stones and Paul McCartney?
It's actually really rare. The more you look at it, you realize how rare it is, and how difficult it is. I first saw the Stones in 1981, and at that point they were elder statesmen. So we're lucky to see these old poets being able to read their work in their own voice, you know? I mean, they came from the same generation that said, "Don't trust anyone over 30." It reminds you to be open to the possibilities.

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 21, 2013 21:18

Chris Fountain
Gazza
sweetcharmedlife
[www.setlist.fm]

I dont know - but if he did, he's wrong.

Especially as several bands have never recorded such a thing.

Date: October 21, 2013 22:10

Pearl Jam has had a tendency in both albums and live shows, to either start off with a rocker, or start off with a quieter song that explodes into a rocker. Some of these more recent setlists have been different though, just sort of slowly building and maybe not hit a rocker for several songs. They're not necessarily all slow or quiet songs all the way, but not something I'd call a "rocker". It doesn't look very good on paper, but I haven't really heard any complaints from those there.

Date: October 21, 2013 22:18

MidnightLurker
I saw Worcester #1 Tuesday, same day as the new album. Recent fan as well, never seen them before. Incredible show, 3 hours long, 32! songs. Was hoping to hear their radio play hits (Black, Daughter, Jeremy) but they played those at Worcester #2 instead, which was a totally different show than Worcester #1. Did get Better Man and Last Kiss however. I only knew half the songs but the music sounded great, including the new stuff. Ed's voice is one of the best for sure and they really rocked hard. Best American band I would say. Agree with what others have said - They don't play what they think the audience "has" to hear. They play what they want and alwyas mix it up. If you go to both shows in a city, you will hear a ton of different songs. That is the way it really should be rather than hearing the same songs every night.

You actually got a lot of radio hits at Worcester #1, maybe not the ones you were looking for, but hits all the same. Aside from Better Man and Last Kiss you got: Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town, Even Flow, Corduroy and Alive. As well as some other songs that are quite popular but don't get as much airplay as the big hits, like: Long Road, Do The Evolution, Spin The Black Circle, Leash, Man Of The Hour and Porch.

I'm jealous, you got one of my bucket list songs in Indifference.

My favorite version, from Atlanta '94

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 21, 2013 23:20

BluzDude
Chris Fountain
Gazza
sweetcharmedlife
[www.setlist.fm]

I would love to see Bruce open a show with the acoustic version of No Surrender.
He opened with Surprise,Surprise the last time I saw him in Glendale.confused smiley

Date: October 22, 2013 04:06

Pearl Jam Week starts on Fallon tonight. Though I don't think Pearl Jam themselves will perform until Thursday/Friday.

OT: Pearl Jam tour hits NYC
Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: October 21, 2013 23:37

This past weekend, PJ hit NYC, great shows . . .

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Re: OT: Pearl Jam tour hits NYC
Posted by: Mirko ()
Date: October 21, 2013 23:44

I have been in Buffalo and Worcester.Pearl Jam was great.
On every show you will never know what you will get.
Everytime they change their setlist.
I hope they will come next year to Europe and especially to Germany.

Date: October 22, 2013 02:13

Wow! that set on the 18th was great, the set on the 19th was greater than great smileys with beer

Date: October 22, 2013 03:22

BluzDude
Wow! that set on the 18th was great, the set on the 19th was greater than great smileys with beer

Pretty much what hardcore Pearl Jam fans concluded lol

Date: October 23, 2013 16:40

The Philly setlists were great. They played "Satan's Bed" last night, possibly my favorite Pearl Jam song, at least Top 5. Satan's Bed, Who You Are and No Way are my Holy Grail songs to see live.

Date: November 15, 2013 07:09

Really looking forward to the show in Dallas tomorrow night. Given that it's the first show of the second leg and they've had 2 weeks rest, plus the fact they haven't played here in 10 years, it should be a good show.

Date: November 15, 2013 07:20

NoCode0680
Really looking forward to the show in Dallas tomorrow night. Given that it's the first show of the second leg and they've had 2 weeks rest, plus the fact they haven't played here in 10 years, it should be a good show.

Enjoy, I will expect a full report the following morning!
...Can't wait for their 2 L.A. showsdrinking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home