Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12
Re: What happened to the tongue logo argument?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 10, 2015 03:06

roller99
Apparently you don't speak for "everyone" and don't know the true story.

Jagger and several press releases, a letter etc have made it clear. That's more than a summing up of what happened. The dates and facts speak for themselves.

And... just to clarify, I am not Craig Braun!

Re: First designer of Stones Tongue & Lips logo???
Date: September 10, 2015 03:08

roller99
GasLightStreet
How there can be any controversy about who did what first is absurd. It's only on iorr.org that it exists. It's been well documented that John Pasche came up with the logo. Cefalu did a variation on it later.

There's nothing to argue.

Really? Where's your proof? Fact checking? Did you speak to any of the people involved?

Know what you're talking about before you post.

Why don't YOU look at what's been posted before you go off about something that has been, as stated, well documented. Why would Jagger lie? Facts are facts as they've been presented.

Nothing to argue.

Date: September 10, 2015 03:11

roller99
GasLightStreet
How there can be any controversy about who did what first is absurd. It's only on iorr.org that it exists. It's been well documented that John Pasche came up with the logo. Cefalu did a variation on it later.

There's nothing to argue.

Sure Mr. "bold my text so you know I mean business"...

That's why there are pictures of the actual members of the Stones wearing shirts with Ernie's design BEFORE the second design had been released/before Sticky Fingers had made it to pressing. But go ahead and ignore that fact too. Sleep well in your complete and blissful ignorance of the facts.

Night night.

Those pics you talk about are after STICKY FINGERS came out ie after the second design. Come on, get YOUR facts straight Mr I Know Ernie Cefalu.

Date: September 10, 2015 03:13

Irix
roller99

That's why there are pictures of the actual members of the Stones wearing shirts with Ernie's design BEFORE the second design had been released/before Sticky Fingers had made it to pressing. [...]

This may be - but Ernie Cefalu stated clearly that he has done his version in 1971, while the Victoria and Albert Museum (London, UK) stated that the version by John Pasche was done in 1970 .... confused smiley

WOW. 1971. AFTER John Pasche's version.

Imagine that, roller99. Oh wait - you don't have to: it says it right there.

Date: September 10, 2015 03:19

Naturalust
Thanks for your kind words roller. It's cool that you have researched this issue a bit deeper. At one time I read everything I could find on the issue and came up with a similar conclusion about what likely happened with the two designs.

I've also pointed out that since Cefalu was working for an agency and directed by Marshall Chess and Pasche seemed to be working directly with Jagger, it's likely Pasche had an advantage in the whole chain of command concerning band decisions.

Not sure why GSL is so determined to discredit Cefalu here. Both artist deserve credit for their work. I think it's likely Pasche holds on to the issue more than Cefalu since he seems like the less accomplished of the two artists, certainly in terms of album and rock and roll art. No doubt at this point he will hold on to his assertion that he was first and we will likely never find the truth about the copyright date and other business considerations which certainly effected the story and outcome.

I do like Pasche's tongue art a bit better but Cefalu has done some other stuff which is pretty damn amazing. I notice Ernie posted a sweet comment on your blog site, that was nice! Obviously you made a good impression on him and it was indeed a nice article. Good work.

Because Pasche designed the logo and Cefalu did a variation on it after? Who's in the museum? Who's credited with the logo? Not Cefalu. The only discrediting I've done is about the original logo and that only. I know Cefalu did other things, which were great. But Pasche is credited, with Jagger even stating that Pasche was asked to come up with it, with having come up with the logo.

Cefalu feels slighted about his version of the logo with what was done that's his problem. The logo everyone knows the most is the Pasche logo that was changed by the record label.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 10, 2015 03:58

GasLightStreet
Naturalust
Thanks for your kind words roller. It's cool that you have researched this issue a bit deeper. At one time I read everything I could find on the issue and came up with a similar conclusion about what likely happened with the two designs.

I've also pointed out that since Cefalu was working for an agency and directed by Marshall Chess and Pasche seemed to be working directly with Jagger, it's likely Pasche had an advantage in the whole chain of command concerning band decisions.

Not sure why GSL is so determined to discredit Cefalu here. Both artist deserve credit for their work. I think it's likely Pasche holds on to the issue more than Cefalu since he seems like the less accomplished of the two artists, certainly in terms of album and rock and roll art. No doubt at this point he will hold on to his assertion that he was first and we will likely never find the truth about the copyright date and other business considerations which certainly effected the story and outcome.

I do like Pasche's tongue art a bit better but Cefalu has done some other stuff which is pretty damn amazing. I notice Ernie posted a sweet comment on your blog site, that was nice! Obviously you made a good impression on him and it was indeed a nice article. Good work.

Because Pasche designed the logo and Cefalu did a variation on it after? Who's in the museum? Who's credited with the logo? Not Cefalu. The only discrediting I've done is about the original logo and that only. I know Cefalu did other things, which were great. But Pasche is credited, with Jagger even stating that Pasche was asked to come up with it, with having come up with the logo.

Cefalu feels slighted about his version of the logo with what was done that's his problem. The logo everyone knows the most is the Pasche logo that was changed by the record label.

I'm just kind of playing devil's advocate here and all I have to go on is what I've read from others and from Cefalu and Pasche. Yes Pasche did THE logo he claimed he did, that is not where the controversy lies.

After reading lot of stuff and stories, I believe Cefalu didn't come up with a variation on Pasche's tongue. His stories seem credible enough to me, detailed in the extreme with times, dates and persons. It seems to me he was working on a variation of his own art and nothing indicates he had seen Pasche's work. He specifically talks about first seeing Pasche's on the SF record. Nothing indicates he felt slighted.

Mick's early commission of Pasche mentioned a logo but it seemed the main focus might have been the poster. We don't really know how much of a hurry they were in for a logo. Had Pasche ever mentioned the exact dates he did his work? I know the copyright is 1970 but I believe there was possibly business reasons for indicating that early date, specifically since they had also commissioned Craig Braun's group and Cefalu had come up with something very similar.

The only quotes I've seen from Pasche are considerably more vague:

Pasche said: "Mick had a picture of Kali, the Hindu goddess, which he was very keen on. India was very much in fashion at the time, but I thought something like that might go out of date."

and

"I wanted something anti-authority, but I suppose the mouth idea came from when I met Jagger for the first time at the Stones' offices. I went into this sort of wood-panelled boardroom and there he was. Face to face with him, the first thing you were aware of was the size of his lips and his mouth."

(it would be interesting to find out the date of that meeting)

I mean it's entirely possibly both artists came up with very similar designs independently, strange as that may seem. I just tend to believe Cefalu about his inspiration and creation of his version. Pasche's seems like a rework of Cefalu's, not the other way around, since it's definitely an improvement. Just saying....

Date: September 10, 2015 08:24

Pasche was commissioned to produce the logo after Jagger approached the Royal College of Art in London in 1969 to help him find a design student...

Not an exact date, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-10 08:25 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 10, 2015 12:15

John Pasche:

"I was recommended and on 29 April 1970 Jo Bergman, who was running the Stone's office at the time, wrote to me to confirm that they had commissioned me to design a poster for their forthcoming tour. [...] A short time later, I met with Mick again, who then asked me to design a logo or symbol for The Rolling Stone's new record label. Mick showed me an image of the Goddess Kali which became the starting point to our discussion regarding the design of the logo. I was paid £50 for the design, which took me about a week to complete." (1) , (2)

The exact date of the meeting would be very interesting ....

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: September 10, 2015 12:49

His Majesty
Irix
Direct comparison:

Left: Alan Aldridge Illustration 1969 - Right: Tongue&Lips logo, Sticky Fingers 1st US-Edition 1971

smoking smiley

I like this... The two designs are very similar. A coincidence maybe?
The similarity sugests Joe may have been 'influenced' by the Aldridge design.

Date: September 10, 2015 21:23

Irix
John Pasche:

"I was recommended and on 29 April 1970 Jo Bergman, who was running the Stone's office at the time, wrote to me to confirm that they had commissioned me to design a poster for their forthcoming tour. [...] A short time later, I met with Mick again, who then asked me to design a logo or symbol for The Rolling Stone's new record label. Mick showed me an image of the Goddess Kali which became the starting point to our discussion regarding the design of the logo. I was paid £50 for the design, which took me about a week to complete." (1) , (2)

OK Irix, thanks. I'm willing to accept that Pasche did his work before Cefalu. I do find it interesting that he took a week to do what Cefalu did in 40 minutes though. lol

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 10, 2015 22:07

Tom Wesselmann
"Expo Mouth #10"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 10, 2015 22:40

Nice find schillid - looks like we finally might be getting to the bottom of this tongue conspiracy.

smiling bouncing smiley

Date: September 10, 2015 22:51

Wesselmann was one of the biggest pop artists (along with Warhol) of the decade. It's likely that Mick was aware of Wesselmann's art.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-14 16:43 by schillid.

Date: September 11, 2015 08:05

Interesting.
I've studied art nearly my entire life (including earning an MFA), and for the life of me I can't recall ever hearing of him!
Perhaps I was too hunkered down in the studio creating rather than paying attention to every minutiae of the history.
Just goes to show, you learn something everyday. thumbs up

Date: September 11, 2015 14:49

He was known for his nudes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-11 14:53 by schillid.

Date: September 11, 2015 14:51

- duplicate post -

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-11 14:52 by schillid.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: September 11, 2015 17:47

Irix
roller99

Basically Ernie did the design, and was sitting in a room with Marshall Chess. Chess took the design upstairs and gave it to Pasche and told him to give it "more animation". [...]

According to the Uncovered Interview this must have been from February 1971 on:

"I remember it was a really cold rainy Friday at the beginning of February 1971, and Jack had set up a 2:00pm meeting for me at the Concept Packaging offices at 53rd and Madison. As I headed uptown, I felt like a kid that was on his way to the first day at a new school, ready to encounter new people and surroundings. All I was told by Jack was that Craig knew who I was, what I had done with Superstar and that they were excited about meeting with me."

But John Pasche has been contacted by the Stones already in April 1970:

Detailed object description: Victoria and Albert Museum

Interesting, I've never seen this. If it's authentic (and I assume it is), he may have gotten the letter and not acted on it until after seeing Ernie's design. More research...

Date: September 11, 2015 17:54

Naturalust
Irix
John Pasche:

I've heard this story too. My take on it is that Mick wanted to not have to pay either of the original artists, so he claims that he saw the Kali design first, that way he could take credit for the thing. It's also of interest that Ernie had done a design for a label on a record called "Dolls Alive" which also had a similar design. He did it in 1969. And Ernie had also done work with none other than Decca Records prior to all the tongues. He did the album cover for Jesus Christ Superstar. So Decca knew of him and his work. Apparently it was Decca who asked him to come over to the office and meet Marshall Chess.

And hey, that hexagonal album cover looks similar to.....

OK Irix, thanks. I'm willing to accept that Pasche did his work before Cefalu. I do find it interesting that he took a week to do what Cefalu did in 40 minutes though. lol

Date: September 11, 2015 18:00

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
Naturalust

Both artist deserve credit for their work. I think it's likely Pasche holds on to the issue more than Cefalu since he seems like the less accomplished of the two artists, certainly in terms of album and rock and roll art. No doubt at this point he will hold on to his assertion that he was first and we will likely never find the truth about the copyright date and other business considerations which certainly effected the story and outcome.

I'm just kind of playing devil's advocate here and all I have to go on is what I've read from others and from Cefalu and Pasche. Yes Pasche did THE logo he claimed he did, that is not where the controversy lies.

After reading lot of stuff and stories, I believe Cefalu didn't come up with a variation on Pasche's tongue. His stories seem credible enough to me, detailed in the extreme with times, dates and persons. It seems to me he was working on a variation of his own art and nothing indicates he had seen Pasche's work. He specifically talks about first seeing Pasche's on the SF record. Nothing indicates he felt slighted.

Mick's early commission of Pasche mentioned a logo but it seemed the main focus might have been the poster. We don't really know how much of a hurry they were in for a logo. Had Pasche ever mentioned the exact dates he did his work? I know the copyright is 1970 but I believe there was possibly business reasons for indicating that early date, specifically since they had also commissioned Craig Braun's group and Cefalu had come up with something very similar.

The only quotes I've seen from Pasche are considerably more vague:

Pasche said: "Mick had a picture of Kali, the Hindu goddess, which he was very keen on. India was very much in fashion at the time, but I thought something like that might go out of date."

and

"I wanted something anti-authority, but I suppose the mouth idea came from when I met Jagger for the first time at the Stones' offices. I went into this sort of wood-panelled boardroom and there he was. Face to face with him, the first thing you were aware of was the size of his lips and his mouth."

(it would be interesting to find out the date of that meeting)

I mean it's entirely possibly both artists came up with very similar designs independently, strange as that may seem. I just tend to believe Cefalu about his inspiration and creation of his version. Pasche's seems like a rework of Cefalu's, not the other way around, since it's definitely an improvement. Just saying....

All very true what you say. Even Ernie likes John's design better. He has read all of the posts here and finds them amusing. He himself laughs all of this off, mostly because he does have over 200 album covers to his credit and finds the whole controversy silly, as though a set of lips and a tongue is the Mona Lisa or something.

Your points are very well informed NL. It's only Stones fans/historians that want to duke it out over this. Neither of the artists do. If anyone here would like an original signed Ernie Cefalu print of his design, please let me know and I will hook you up. They are quite nice. Oh, and Ernie Cefalu's design has been in multiple museums across the country.

Date: September 11, 2015 18:04

roller99
Irix
roller99

Basically Ernie did the design, and was sitting in a room with Marshall Chess. Chess took the design upstairs and gave it to Pasche and told him to give it "more animation". [...]

According to the Uncovered Interview this must have been from February 1971 on:

"I remember it was a really cold rainy Friday at the beginning of February 1971, and Jack had set up a 2:00pm meeting for me at the Concept Packaging offices at 53rd and Madison. As I headed uptown, I felt like a kid that was on his way to the first day at a new school, ready to encounter new people and surroundings. All I was told by Jack was that Craig knew who I was, what I had done with Superstar and that they were excited about meeting with me."

But John Pasche has been contacted by the Stones already in April 1970:

Detailed object description: Victoria and Albert Museum

Interesting, I've never seen this. If it's authentic (and I assume it is), he may have gotten the letter and not acted on it until after seeing Ernie's design. More research...

Do you mean ever? Because it's on page 3 of this thread as well as other logo threads. You haven't read through all of this thread then?

Date: September 11, 2015 18:40

I don't so much want to duke it out as to just understand a few of the vague or missing pieces of the puzzle here. Not that I'm particularly confident that will ever happen. We've got Ernie's story (thank you Mr. Cefalu) in great detail. I have lots of respect for him and don't doubt him at all.

What is missing is Marshall Chess's involvement in the whole affair with respect to both artists. He seems to be the link between them, or at least Craig Braun and Pasche. I find it a bit suspicious that if Pasche had this beautiful completed logo, approved by Mick in 1970, why would they continue to contract out Braun's agency to come up with another logo....one that turned out so similar? Common sense just tells you that there was some sharing of information happening, and since I believe Cefalu's story, one of the conclusions that's easy to make is that Mr. Chess shared Cefalu's design with Pasche and he improved on it.

Of course the problem with that is the date of the Stones copyright of Pasche's work. But Pasche never really says anything other than "shortly after", etc. so it leaves us with an incomplete picture. I'd love to know what Marshall Chess has to say about all this. Sure it's trivial but an important piece of Stones history so very interesting.

Date: September 11, 2015 18:51

schillid
He was known for his nudes

Yeah thanks schillid, I quickly looked him up late last night, did a little research,
looked at a bunch images, and then found this interesting tidbit on wiki:

Wesselmann never liked his inclusion in American Pop Art, pointing out how he made an aesthetic use of everyday objects and not a criticism of them as consumer objects:
“I dislike labels in general and 'Pop' in particular, especially because it overemphasizes the material used. There does seem to be a tendency to use similar materials and images,
but the different ways they are used denies any kind of group intention”.

Date: September 11, 2015 19:23

Shortly after 1969 would be 1970. Pasche took a week to complete the logo, not sure what's so surprising about that if you consider other things - like he was busy and didn't work on it for what Cefalu's looks like he did it in 40 minutes or whatever with what didn't even resemble the logo. It almost seems like a set up with Cefalu as the goat for Concept Packaging.

Perhaps Pasche did a few versions of it. Cefalu completed his version by February 1971. Pasche did his in 1970. Jagger talked to Pasche about it in 1969. I can not see where Pasche would've gotten Cefalu's logo to base his logo on since Cefalu hadn't come up with it yet.

It took the Stones 8 calendar months to record and mix a dog's intestinal track of an album in 1985.

Date: September 11, 2015 19:34

Naturalust
I don't so much want to duke it out as to just understand a few of the vague or missing pieces of the puzzle here. Not that I'm particularly confident that will ever happen. We've got Ernie's story (thank you Mr. Cefalu) in great detail. I have lots of respect for him and don't doubt him at all.

What is missing is Marshall Chess's involvement in the whole affair with respect to both artists. He seems to be the link between them, or at least Craig Braun and Pasche. I find it a bit suspicious that if Pasche had this beautiful completed logo, approved by Mick in 1970, why would they continue to contract out Braun's agency to come up with another logo....one that turned out so similar? Common sense just tells you that there was some sharing of information happening, and since I believe Cefalu's story, one of the conclusions that's easy to make is that Mr. Chess shared Cefalu's design with Pasche and he improved on it.

Of course the problem with that is the date of the Stones copyright of Pasche's work. But Pasche never really says anything other than "shortly after", etc. so it leaves us with an incomplete picture. I'd love to know what Marshall Chess has to say about all this. Sure it's trivial but an important piece of Stones history so very interesting.

Oh, I wasn't referring to you when I said "duke it out". That was referring to the more vehement posts. No, your points are all very well informed and informative. I've tried reaching out to Marshall Chess with no luck, and his wife is playing a cat-and-mouse game. If I do get to him or her, I'll let you know.

Date: September 11, 2015 19:40

roller99
I've tried reaching out to Marshall Chess with no luck, and his wife is playing a cat-and-mouse game. If I do get to him or her, I'll let you know.

Thanks roller. Speculation on this issue has pretty much run it's course and I appreciate you trying to bring some new information and research into it. Good luck. Perhaps Craig Braun or John Pasche could fill in some of the blanks.

Date: September 11, 2015 19:45

The messed-up layout from this Post corrected:

Irix

John Pasche:

roller99

I've heard this story too. My take on it is that Mick wanted to not have to pay either of the original artists, so he claims that he saw the Kali design first, that way he could take credit for the thing. It's also of interest that Ernie had done a design for a label on a record called "Dolls Alive" which also had a similar design. He did it in 1969. And Ernie had also done work with none other than Decca Records prior to all the tongues. He did the album cover for Jesus Christ Superstar. So Decca knew of him and his work. Apparently it was Decca who asked him to come over to the office and meet Marshall Chess.

And hey, that hexagonal album cover looks similar to.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This seems to be the try to transform the 'Dolls Alive' logo into the 'Tongue&Lips' logo:

(From the Uncovered Interview, no higher resolution available)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-11 20:05 by Irix.

Date: September 11, 2015 20:17

Interesting that Cefalu might have been the inspiration or first suggested the idea for the real zipper on the SF record.

Date: September 11, 2015 20:25

Naturalust

[...] I find it a bit suspicious that if Pasche had this beautiful completed logo, approved by Mick in 1970, why would they continue to contract out Braun's agency to come up with another logo....one that turned out so similar? [...]

The answer delivers the article from the [www.nytimes.com] · [www.iorr.org] :

"In New York, Mr. Braun had a deadline and needed the logo. As the tongue design was still unfinished, he settled for a rough one-inch version, faxed over from London by Marshall Chess, the founding president of Rolling Stones Records. [...]

Mr. Pasche barely noticed. “It was a relaxed affair,” he said. “I just think things were happening fast and needed to be done, so it was redrawn.”

Date: September 12, 2015 02:29

Irix
Naturalust

[...] I find it a bit suspicious that if Pasche had this beautiful completed logo, approved by Mick in 1970, why would they continue to contract out Braun's agency to come up with another logo....one that turned out so similar? [...]

The answer delivers the article from the [www.nytimes.com] · [www.iorr.org] :

"In New York, Mr. Braun had a deadline and needed the logo. As the tongue design was still unfinished, he settled for a rough one-inch version, faxed over from London by Marshall Chess, the founding president of Rolling Stones Records. [...]

Mr. Pasche barely noticed. “It was a relaxed affair,” he said. “I just think things were happening fast and needed to be done, so it was redrawn.”

A little more context...

...John Pasche, a student at the Royal College of Art, worked on a logo for the band and its new label. Mr. Jagger had been inspired by the tongue of the Hindu goddess Kali, Mr. Pasche recalled, “but I didn’t want to do anything Indian, because I thought it would be very dated quickly, as everyone was going through that phase at the time.” Still, Kali’s mouth and lips “triggered something,” he said. (It didn’t hurt that Mr. Jagger had a recognizable mouth himself.)

In New York, Mr. Braun had a deadline and needed the logo. As the tongue design was still unfinished, he settled for a rough one-inch version, faxed over from London by Marshall Chess, the founding president of Rolling Stones Records. “I didn’t tell him what I was going to do with it,” Mr. Braun said.

His in-house illustrators finished the mouth — narrowing the tongue, adding more white accents and a black void for the throat — before blowing it up to cover the entire inside sleeve of the American release (Mr. Pasche’s version was used internationally).

“I thought it was going to get me into trouble,” Mr. Braun said. Instead, his touches on the logo, which still shifts slightly in size and color for different events, often persist to this day, including on the official ads for the “ZIP Code” tour and countless pieces of Stones memorabilia.

Mr. Chess, meanwhile, only found out about Mr. Braun’s revisions 45 years later. “He was so nervous about it!” said Mr. Chess, 73.

Both Mr. Braun and Mr. Pasche are pleased with the results of their overlapping contributions to rock mythology. Initially paid just 50 pounds ($76 at current rates) for the design, Mr. Pasche sold his copyright to the band for £26,000 (about $40,000 at the time) in 1984. In 2008, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London bought his original artwork for £50,000 ($92,500)

Date: September 12, 2015 10:15

From the Book "The Art of the Band T-Shirt" by Amber Easby, Henry Oliver
Publisher: Simon & Schuster · 2007 · ISBN-13: 978-1416937937

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1956
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home