Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Ageing rocker Iggy Pop quits stage-diving.
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: July 4, 2013 23:34

Iggy Pop has toned down his live shows in his old age after suffering a number of injuries while stage-diving last year (12).

The 66 year old has been known for his crazy onstage antics ever since he was a young musician, but the Lust For Life star admits he's begun taking his performances down a notch because his body doesn't move like it used to.

He tells CNN.com, "(Back then) we were cute kids and we got to play with everybody and I thought it was my job to make sure that when we played no-one forgot about us. I did that thing that little kids do when they're not getting enough attention from their parents, they just fall forward and wait for maybe somebody to catch 'em. And I would just step off the stage and inspect the audience.

"Last year I did a couple of big dives and I got a couple of stitches because I always overdo it. And at this stage I just fall in once in a while and say 'Hi'... "

And Iggy Pop, real name James Osterberg, Jr., reveals his post-concert routines have changed too, insisting he now prefers to relax at home with his wife Nina Alu and enjoy a glass of fine wine instead of partying all night.

He adds, "The hardcore stuff, it's a bit like being a prize fighter, there's a lot of nervous energy and you wake up sore."

Re: OT: Ageing rocker Iggy Pop quits stage-diving.
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 5, 2013 02:49

@ 66, Iggy still puts many a young rocker to shame energy level wise. I'm glad he's taking care of himself.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 5, 2013 04:13

What about peanut butter, is he giving that up to? Or is he just switching to organic peanut butter?

Date: July 5, 2013 04:22

Iggy has got the weirdest walk.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 5, 2013 04:23

Is it even possible to stage dive anymore? Seems like nobody would catch you because they're all watching the show through their cell phone screens.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 5, 2013 10:18

"Stage-diving musses my dress!"

Date: July 5, 2013 13:51

Palace Revolution 2000

He has arthritis in his hips really bad. A condition that is not for the meek.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 5, 2013 13:58

Title5Take1
"Stage-diving musses my dress!"

That awkward moment where Iggy arrives at the party and sees Taylor Swift is wearing the same dress.

Date: July 5, 2013 14:07

I saw him a couple of weeks ago at the Meltdown Festival on the Southbank in London and he 'fell into' the audience a couple of times. Happy to say he was caught on each occasion! The Royal Festival Hall can have quite a sterile atmosphere for a popular music concert but Iggy managed to make it seem like a high energy club gig.
Fantastic stuff!

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 5, 2013 16:00

crholmstrom

Palace Revolution 2000

He has arthritis in his hips really bad. A condition that is not for the meek.

Iggy is handicapped. His (right?) leg is shortened a few centimeters. Sometimes you can see him wearing special crafted shoes with a thicker sole. That explains some of his weird moves as you describe it.
In that case it is so astounishing that he did start a career as a drummer/frontman in a rockband with that handicap.
I still keep my old jeansjacket spread all over with his blood. He hurt his lips doing a stage diving in 1999 in Berlin. He didn`t stop bleeding, didn`t stop rocking, totally out of control. The band and roady stopped him after two numbers.He gave a shit. Oh man ..Iggy is Iggy.

Tom

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 6, 2013 00:54

That is correct. One of his legs is about and an inch and a half shorter than the other.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 7, 2013 09:48

I always thought the Igster should tour with Ian Dury.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:16

He feels that his end is near.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 7, 2013 15:34

Hasn't he crawled through broken glass on stage?? A few times?

Date: July 7, 2013 15:53

Amongst other things. I believe he opened for the Stones in Detroit Enormo Dome on the 1981 tour. He came out in a skirt & was pelted by the spuds. I think Keith likes him & helped get him (deservedly) in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, Ron Asheton passed away shortly before that happened. I was fortunate enough to see the Stooges with him twice when they reformed. Mighty shows! I haven't seen the recent lineup with James Williamson yet but hope to. I have a dvd of them performing Raw Power in its entirety & it is very good. Department of irony: Ron was the one who didn't develop a huge drug problem during the Raw Power years. He was into diners. May be a message there somewhere. His brother Scott isn't touring with the Stooges now because of health issues but still recorded last album with them. He is a mighty drummer. Hope he is doing better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home