Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Ian McLagan on tour
Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: July 2, 2013 18:44

Mac is taking a solo trip around the States and is going to be in my neck o' the woods on July 4th...but I cannot find any information about what time he's playing. I've searched online and emailed the sponsors with no luck. Apparently there's music on 5 stages, but the acts and showtimes are a closely guarded secret. Any Chicago/Milwaukee fans know anything about his gig at Harbor Park in Kenosha WI on the 4th?

Re: OT: Ian McLagan on tour
Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: July 2, 2013 19:12

Can't help ya there but I got my tickets to see him 7/12 in Seattle.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: July 4, 2013 04:27

I'm going to the show in Kenosha as well because it's half the distance than the Fitzgeralds show tonight and is free. Found this which shows him playing from 7:30 to 9:00. Semi-Twang plays before him and they are good as well. Weather should be ok tomorrow I hope.

link: [www.kenosha.org]

Ian McLagan
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 7, 2013 16:09

Has anyone seen Ian play recently? He is playing at a really nice club in Seattle next weekend & I was wondering if it was worth the effort.

Re: Ian McLagan
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 7, 2013 19:58

Worth it. Go.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 7, 2013 20:08

Better then a Stones show...the Bump band rocks hard...$15 is a screaming deal for the show outside Austin...we're spoiled here cause he's free almost every Thursday...

Posted by: skullduggery09 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 20:21

Ain't that all too true, Munich.
I work up at Apple and it's just about impossible
to get down MoPac to catch an entire set.

Date: July 7, 2013 20:27

skullduggery09
Ain't that all too true, Munich.
I work up at Apple and it's just about impossible
to get down MoPac to catch an entire set.

Check out his Saxon shows...not free but they're later in the evening for ya

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 7, 2013 22:09

Munichhilton
Better then a Stones show...the Bump band rocks hard...$15 is a screaming deal for the show outside Austin...we're spoiled here cause he's free almost every Thursday...

Unfortunately, he's not touring with any band, Bump or otherwise. It's just him.

Date: July 7, 2013 22:28

tatters
Munichhilton

Unfortunately, he's not touring with any band, Bump or otherwise. It's just him.

Alright...we can work with that...sorta cocktail bar style

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 23:10

GO !
saw his show a couple weeks ago here in Hamilton.
he's accompanied on most songs by the bass player from the Bump Band.
mostly his solo stuff with some Small Faces & Faces songs.
very chatty with lots of great stories.
signed cd s / albums afterwards & posed for pictures

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 8, 2013 01:27

Sounds good. Thanks

OT?--Ian McLagan in Long Beach July 20
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 14, 2013 21:17

Just heard about this--Mac is doing an in-store appearance at Fingerprints Sat. July 20 at noon.

[www.facebook.com]

Re: OT?--Ian McLagan in Long Beach July 20
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: July 14, 2013 22:10

Cool. I'm reading his book All The Rage now after seeing some many glowing references to it on here, and it's great so far.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: July 16, 2013 23:15

I went to see him and his band in Austin TX last year at a small club...but they never showed up. confused smiley

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: July 17, 2013 00:05

the Seattle gig was good. Just Mac alternating between an electric keyboard and a grand steinway, with electric bass on most tracks. Not as fun as the full Bump Band but it did have an intimate feel with nice stories and chatter. A very nice venue, dinner theatre style.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 17, 2013 03:21

Anybody have a tour schedule?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: July 17, 2013 03:35

Date: July 20, 2013 02:14

Hope to see some of you SoCal IORR's at the Grammy Museum tonight! Tickets still available. Let have a drink after to share our war stories about this last Stones tour. Yeah!!!

Scotty
Irvine, CA

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 20, 2013 04:43

I didnt go, but I saw a review the KC Star other day... [www.kansascity.com]

Concert Review
Ian McLagan offers a lively career retrospective
July 7
By BILL BROWNLEE
Special to The KC Star

Midway through his lively performance Saturday at Danny's Bar & Grill in Lenexa, Ian McLagan was startled when he noticed the live video projection behind the stage. Jon Notarthomas, McLagan's sole accompanist, attempted to explain the concept to the diminutive rock and roll veteran.

"They have smaller scale version of you on the wall," Notarthomas said.

"That's hardly possible," McLagan exclaimed.

McLagan, 68, may be small in stature, but he demonstrated why he's a musical giant for a meager but appreciative audience of about 50. A richly detailed story about how he joined the Small Faces in 1965 was one of many ingratiating tales McLagan related. Upon his first meeting with his similarly-sized band mates, McLagan said he realized that "I'd just found my brothers." The London-based band quickly evolved from a slight pop act into worthy rivals of the Who.

McLagan chose to perform only one song by the Small Faces, the ebullient ditty "Get Yourself Together." Following a few changes in personnel, the band was renamed the Faces in 1969. The four Faces selections revived by McLagan served as vital reminders of the band's short-lived brilliance. The randy "You're So Rude" recalled the Faces' rambunctious sensibility. Tender readings of the emotionally wrenching "Debris" and the bittersweet "Glad and Sorry" had a few longtime fans fighting back tears.

Following the dissolution of the Faces, McLagan worked as a session musician and launched an inconspicuous solo career. A few of McLagan's recent songs were just as powerful as his more heralded work. He described the stunning "A Little Black Number," the lament of a young widow, as "dark but well-intentioned." "Hello Old Friend" combined the charm associated with British music halls with the boozy barroom swagger that permeates much of his work.

The song exposed the slight deterioration of McLagan's vocal range. He sang with an ingratiating and remarkably expressive rasp. Complemented by Notarthomas' contributions on bass and guitar, McLagan's keyboard work remained impressive. His blues-based playing reflected his wry wit. He joked about his insistence on loading the set list with unfamiliar material — "here's another one you won't know"— before playing a new song during his one-hour-and-forty-minute appearance.

Steve Marriott, the powerhouse vocalist for the Small Faces, died in 1991. Rod Stewart of the Faces has recast himself as a crooner. Yet even for an audience of 50, McLagan remains fiercely determined to performing the rock and roll he so clearly loves with steadfast exuberance.

APPROXIMATE SET LIST

Hello Old Friend, It's Been a Long Time, Little Girl, A Little Black Number, Warm Rain, Never Say Never, I'm Your Baby Now, Mean Old World, Get Yourself Together, Trapped, Don't Say Nothing, We've Got Nothing In Common, Sha La La La, An Innocent Man, Glad and Sorry, I Will Follow, Debris, You're So Rude, Cindy Incidentally

full story [www.kansascity.com]

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: July 20, 2013 06:15

Free where? Thx

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: July 20, 2013 17:07

Were you there Scott? He was kind enough to sign my copy of Some Girls...Donna from the Stones shoot...best in best in music smiling smiley Where were you, Bluz Dude?

Date: July 20, 2013 17:12

Munich, you get Ian and we get Waddy smiling smiley John N. joined Mac on bass and guitar. He also did a show at McCabes...in Long Beach today, California folks smiling smiley

Date: July 20, 2013 17:17

donnarq1
Munich, you get Ian and we get Waddy smiling smiley John N. joined Mac on bass and guitar. He also did a show at McCabes...in Long Beach today, California folks smiling smiley

That's great. Congrats Don. It's a good show all day long. Say, do you think it's time Waddy got a haircut?

Date: July 20, 2013 19:06

donnarq1
Were you there Scott? He was kind enough to sign my copy of Some Girls...Donna from the Stones shoot...best in best in music smiling smiley Where were you, Bluz Dude?

Yes my dear, I was there. You? I was at the end of the second row near the camera. Great show. His imitation of Paul Weller almost had me in the aisle laughing. He nailed it! Got to talk to, I think his name is Paul, the gentleman from the fan film in the red shirt and black hat. Sorry I missed you if you were there. Going to try and make it up to Long Beach today.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Date: July 20, 2013 21:33

Scotty, guess I was there. Munich...No haircut! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home