Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

newbie fans and unreasonable love for slop
Posted by: nankerjones ()
Date: April 3, 2005 05:29

I have noticed that the later someone became a fan the more thay worship sloppy playing. My favorite tours were 1969, 1972, 1989, because for the first time in the wood era they played well, VL and no security. Licks they should give refunds considerring Ronnie and Keith's play.

Re: newbie fans and unreasonable love for slop
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 3, 2005 05:35

sloppy compared to, say, 1981 and 1976?
I dont think so

compare Mick's singing prior to 1989 and what it is now. No comparison. Much better than the often breathless, tuneless barking he often was croaking out for a few years from the mid 70's on.

Re: newbie fans and unreasonable love for slop
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 3, 2005 05:54

More like for B2B and Security Ronnie just didn't show up at all. While Keith was actually playing pretty well. You are right for Lix,at times they both flatout sucked. And maybe not by choice. Like with the Barbarians most of the thime they were just really @#$%& drunk. Too drunk to play. In 78 they were punkis and weren't supposed to know how to play. But almost in defiance to themselves they were redhot. In 76/75 Ronnie was on fire. Even with all the dope. Keith was...I dnno. Something about those guitars, those damn Mesas, maybe the leather pants were too tight. The entire band just never quite got it on. Jagger for sure had sounded better. In 73 they wre even better than in 72 judging from the boots. Taylor's finest moments. I don't understand that you find 69 well played. Some shows they sound excellent but mainly they were still discovering the new technology and coming to grips with it. Mastering it. But they sure did play some mean live Blues.
I wonder why some people who became fans late in the game would worship sloppy playing. Maybe it's like buying into the whole romantic notion of Keith as the outaw pirate; the Stones against the sysyem et al. I was thinking just today how someone becomes a fan in 94. You discover the Rolling Stones with Voodoo Lounge and...what? They just grab you with "Sparks Will Fly"? Forever and ever? Really?
I think the older fans who have followed for 20 or so years love the Stones of the 70's and in the later albums just still manage to find the single instance of brilliance here and there. It's like they say about junkies" "You get highnly once. From then on out you are only chasing that first time's glory and wonder". I myself really got my rocks off the first time I heard Rocks Off. So now I want that again.
"If I listen to Steel Wheels enough times I know, I KNOW I will eventually find the genius of Exile..." LOL It just ain't there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1745
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home