Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

On Mariannne Faitfull´s Before The Poison
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 2, 2005 11:46

This album has been out for quite a whole now.
I downloaded it from emusic; right now I´m listening to
"The Mystery Of Love", opening song... It sounds good... A quick raid along the song list doesnt convince me though.

Any reactions or review on this?

Re: On Mariannne Faitfull´s Before The Poison
Date: April 2, 2005 13:33

I really liked "Broken English", "Dangerous Acquaintances", "Strange Weather" and that's it. The other stuff is weak by comparison. Saw her in 1990 on the "Blazing Away" tour and she was amazing.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Re: On Marianne Faithfull´s Before The Poison
Date: April 2, 2005 14:48

Ok, I was afraid that I downloaded "grisen i säcken" as we say in Sweden
("pig in the sack", to buy something without really knowing its content).
But it has a high common information value for me as Stones freak.
... I also liked Broken English. ALO pays her fairly much attention in his stoned-books.

Has this Ormskirke-borned lady been out for touring since -90?

Date: April 2, 2005 14:49

Sorry about the spelling in the thread title by the way;
I´m teaching a 5-y o to bike whilst doin the posting...

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: April 2, 2005 16:21

A fantastic album and her best since Broken English.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 2, 2005 16:45

What was the live one in the cathedral called? I have that one somewhere. Love that one. Almost like a big hits thing. She's such a powerful poet. The only thing I thought hurt her on albums like A Child's Adventure" (correct title?) were this faux-reggae arrangments to all her tunes. I love love LOVE "Times' Square" and it's not even her's. But it's written by one of the dudes who wrote a lot of stuff for her other albums. And often there are these weird chugga Sly/Robbie grooves that are so watered down that they tread too clese to muzak. Marianne is too cool and dangerous for milktoast.
I remember the very first time I heard "Broken English". I bought it without having heard one note. With that title and her on the cover it had to be cool. And she blew me away. What a voice.
And even in the 60's. What is that song from the circus? That;'sa good one.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: April 2, 2005 18:38

The one in St Anne's church was called 'Blazing Away'. Know what you mean about the faux-reggae thing though it was only on a few songs. I think 'Times Square' may even be her best song but there are a lot of contenders. It was written by Barry Reynolds who used to be closely involved in her recorded and live work until relatively recently; I don't know what's happened to him now.
'Something Better' is the one from R&R Circus, written by Goffin-King. A really nice hypnotic pop number (flipside of Sister Morphine in '69).
I could go on about the genius of MF all day but I'll spare you.

Date: April 2, 2005 19:27

"I could go on about the genius of MF all day but I'll spare you."

Ney, Tseverin; please, don´t spare us...

I´m 20-30 years behind; missed MF totally. I´m curious!

...What´s her version of Sister Morphine really like?

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 3, 2005 02:38

Yes Babbon Bro took the words from my mouth. Please go om. Dig the hell out of that woman myself. Loved her book. It's weird: IMO the two best most insightful, informative, yet soulful books vere written about the rockscene ion the 60's and 70's are her book and "All the Rage" by Mac. It's ood to read by the people who were actually there. Not some hangeron or wannabe. Then on the other hand sometimes you get garbage that defies desdription or reviews. I.e. Bill Wymna's books, especially the first one. LOL What a drip of a whiner! Haha. And I dig Wyman's bass playing very much...

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: April 3, 2005 03:23

Since Broken English I have been a fan. I think the new CD is great. Kissin' Time was a pleasant surprise, and that haggard voice closing the CD with Somethin' Good was just such a great conflict in content ( bubblegum pop) and presentation (that voice) , I had to listen over and over. I do agree that Times Square on Blazing Aawy is just a tremendously poqwerful and haunting piece, "Alcohol will take me there..." About the only thing I have not really enjoyed was the 20Th Century Blues CD.

She is definitely an eclectic choice though, not something to put on to liven up a party or for quiet dinner ambience.

Date: April 3, 2005 20:46

I bought Broken English in 87. I was livin in a guest cabin - strange place, in the midst of a 1million½-inhabitants-capital, where you could take a leak around the cabin´s corner... Lonely time with some one-nihgt-stands... And this suggestive music by the fatal lady; it did build up a special relationship with that artist (the other companion during that time was Cohen, esp. his darkest songs from 1967-71)... I like the new album more and more (ab 3rd listening now).

Pic from Ron Schneider´s site meandtherollingstones.com

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 3, 2005 22:26

The new one will grow on you, I think. Good disc.

I noticed that the previously-announced Marianne show in San Francisco has been cancelled. Seveeral of her European dates a couple of months ago were also cancelled. Health problems?

Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home