Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds at Glastonbury
Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 30, 2013 22:48

@#$%& awesome.

As much as i enjoyed the Stones last night, this is on another level.

Very surprised by the lack of new album songs mind seeing as it's easily album of the year

Re: OT: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds at Glastonbury
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 1, 2013 01:26

Saw Nick Cave in Boston a couple months ago. He is friggin' brilliant.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: July 1, 2013 01:31

I saw Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds about 12 years ago. It was really a surprise concert, I could never imagined that it was so great like it was. Absolute killer!!

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 1, 2013 09:31

saw cave a few times and live he was always brilliant. released one of his most quietest albums and is doing a festival tour??? crazy, anyway. don´t like his new record

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 1, 2013 12:57

I saw Nick Cave recently (& several times before). It was amazing. He was reenergized. Think the Grinderman interlude was a good thing. & adding Ed Kuepper as the noisy guitar player was a good move. Loudest show I've seen in awhile.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 1, 2013 14:59

I must admit its the first time i have seen anything of him.

He looks a complete nutter, but enjoyed watching him.

What cds would anybody recommend.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: July 1, 2013 15:02

Ed Kuepper is someone people on this board should really check out. Not that well known but he has made some fantastic albums (Electrical Storm, Rooms of the Magnificent, Honey Steels Gold, Character Assassination etc).

Saw him play solo in a Finsbury Park pub back in the late 1980's.

Andy

Date: July 1, 2013 17:15

bluesinc.
anyway. don´t like his new record

I'm surprised to hear that. I'm a long time Bad Seeds diehard and I reckon it may even be their best album yet. Each to their own I guess

Date: July 1, 2013 17:18

odean73

Personal favourite albums would be Push The Sky Away, Murder Ballads, The Boatmans Call, Let Love In ...

But there's very few that i don't like (Nocturama being the one real turkey)

Date: July 1, 2013 23:02

andy js
odean73

Personal favourite albums would be Push The Sky Away, Murder Ballads, The Boatmans Call, Let Love In ...

But there's very few that i don't like (Nocturama being the one real turkey)

Thanks for that, I will check them out.thumbs up

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 2, 2013 09:53

I got into Nick Cave when by chance I saw a video of "Lazarus Dig Yourself" and then was watching the X-Files where Mulder is driving along and there is this great music on his cd player... I had to look it up.. it was "Red Right Hand" .

It was a sign.

I'm seeing them live in a few months at Hammersmith Apollo.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: July 2, 2013 11:43

Sorry to be the grumpy old man here, but in my opinion Cave started out in 1984 by making a true masterpiece, From Her to Eternity. The next album, The Firstborn Is Dead (1985) has a couple of weak tracks but is overall brilliant. After that there's been many great moments but nothing as intensely earth-shattering as those first two records.

Oh, wait. In 1999 he did a string of small scale concerts where he played piano accompanied by a bass player, a drummer and Warren Ellis on violin. Those gigs were amazing but no recordings have ever been officially released.

And this ain't too shabby either:

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: July 2, 2013 11:51

Arguably my favourite set of the weekend. Torn with the stones. Was still impressed with the Monkeys too, but Nick was on fire. When he gazed into the eyes of the girl in white I feared Glastonbury might see its first human sacrifice on the Pyramid stage.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: July 2, 2013 12:06

I thought Cave made everyone else at Glastonbury - yes everybody - look flaccid, pointless and boring. His performance was like a bucket of acid to the face. Truly exfoliating.

Full set:

Forward to about 40 minutes if you want to see "audience participation" at its most intimate.

Date: July 2, 2013 12:18

A poet.

Great set at Glastonbury.

Date: July 2, 2013 14:03

odean73

Best of might be a good place to start. If you want to go deeper, these 5, in no particular order:
The Good Son
Let Love In
Murder Ballads
Push the Sky Away
Live Seeds
Both Grinderman cds are excellent too! Enjoy your journey.smileys with beer

Date: July 2, 2013 14:41

crholmstrom
odean73

Best of might be a good place to start. If you want to go deeper, these 5, in no particular order:
The Good Son
Let Love In
Murder Ballads
Push the Sky Away
Live Seeds
Both Grinderman cds are excellent too! Enjoy your journey.smileys with beer

Thanks for all the info.thumbs up

Date: July 2, 2013 14:50

I'll add the double Lyre of Orpheus/Abattoir Blues to the list of Nick to check out. As with most double albums it might not all be to your liking, but there is some great stuff on it. That's where I started my N. Cave journey. His books are pretty warped too - The DEath of Bunny Munro is hysterical, and I'm now reading And The Ass Saw the Angel which is like Faulkner meets - well, Nick Cave. The guy is amazing. I was lucky enough to be right at the front of the stage at the Boston Orpheum back in March and when he'd come over to that side of the stage - taunting the audience, it was almost scary.
And of course Stagger Lee is classic.

Date: July 2, 2013 16:16

This set to me is just pure magic. No vegas style shit. Just pure rock n roll

video: [youtu.be]

Date: July 2, 2013 16:17

Oops. Already posted i see. Ney mind, should be compulsive viewing

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 2, 2013 19:15

I LOVE Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. Other than the albums already listed, I would say check out No More Shall We Part. It's my personal favourite. It's not a rocker of an album. It's full of beautiful piano-based tunes. I love it. There's a fantastic documentary on the making of the album on the God Is In The House dvd. Highly recommended!

Date: July 2, 2013 20:47

GumbootCloggeroo
I LOVE Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. Other than the albums already listed, I would say check out No More Shall We Part. It's my personal favourite. It's not a rocker of an album. It's full of beautiful piano-based tunes. I love it. There's a fantastic documentary on the making of the album on the God Is In The House dvd. Highly recommended!

Yes, No More Shall We Part is great too. That's the thing about NC - he can do these outrageous, twisted rockers - and then also these gorgeous, heartbreaking love songs. He covers a lot of ground - not to mention his work in films. A huge oeuvre to discover. I'm still learning.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 2, 2013 20:52

GumbootCloggeroo

Indeed, it's my favourite also, that and 'The Boatman's call.'

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 2, 2013 20:53

parislocksmith
Sorry to be the grumpy old man here, but in my opinion Cave started out in 1984 by making a true masterpiece, From Her to Eternity. The next album, The Firstborn Is Dead (1985) has a couple of weak tracks but is overall brilliant. After that there's been many great moments but nothing as intensely earth-shattering as those first two records.

Oh, wait. In 1999 he did a string of small scale concerts where he played piano accompanied by a bass player, a drummer and Warren Ellis on violin. Those gigs were amazing but no recordings have ever been officially released.

I saw this show at the Wiltern in March 2001, easily one of the greatest shows I ever seen in my life. Just the vocal enunciation from mellow to heavy songs was one of the most intense concert experiences ever.

My introduction was in 1994 at Lollapalooza in a big field. After L7 the whole front of the stage cleared out and I just wanted to be in the shade under the stage. Was completely blown away.

Doesn't surprise me this was the best set at Glastonbury.

Date: July 3, 2013 17:39

I saw him with his 4 piece band (inc himself) not that long ago too. Probably late 00's. Excellent as always

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 3, 2013 21:02

andy js
I saw him with his 4 piece band (inc himself) not that long ago too. Probably late 00's. Excellent as always

That was Grinderman. I saw them after their second album in Paris, short gig (70') but intense and great !

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Date: July 5, 2013 11:10

This is just one of the greatest moments in rock.

Truly magnificent.

Hat's off to the girl for going along with the ride.

"Here come the devil" and right on cue up pops an angel of light.

Jeeze... shiver time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 11:14 by GravityBoy.

Date: July 5, 2013 13:44

GravityBoy
This is just one of the greatest moments in rock.

Truly magnificent.

Hat's off to the girl for going along with the ride.

"Here come the devil" and right on cue up pops an angel of light.

Jeeze... shiver time.

I watched the set last night. Totally amazing. Mumford & whatever must have seemed pretty pasty after that!

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: July 5, 2013 17:01

Saw them last night, totally terrific. The Stagger Lee stunt seems to work with girls every night smiling smiley Last night it was a totally star-struck blonde girl who looked like a hip hop fan. AMAZING!!!

Date: July 7, 2013 16:04

He did that stunt with a guy @ the show I saw in Seattle. Said that's what he gets for filming with an I-phone. Very funny!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2004
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home