Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Pope still alive............
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 2, 2005 06:45

Tomek:

If I have offended you in some way, I sincerely apologize. The loss of any person's life is a tragedy, and should be respected. I meant no disrespect by any post I made.

That said, as a Wesleyan (Methodist), I have long been unable to understand the deification of a human being in a religeous context. In the words of Tammy Wynette, John Paul was "just a man". God Bless his spirit, but to me his death is of no greater significance than the old guy who lived next door to me. In fact, I was more grieved by his loss in that I actually knew him. A better existence I hope for both of them.

Karl

Posted by: Marcia ()
Date: April 2, 2005 07:09

Well said and bless your Weslyan heart, Karl

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 2, 2005 10:34

You may like or you may not like the Pope or religion, but this is not the time for offending the Pope and what he is all about. For discussing religion there are many other places. This is a place where fellow Stones fans meet. I will allow any talk which is normal when a close or not so close friend or person is very ill. But I will not totelate offending and disrespect talk. This is about manners and respect. When posting about the Pope these days, don't think once, think twice before you post, because some people (may be you) talk before they think, and that will hurt many people. Thank you.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: April 2, 2005 11:59

Now we know what intellectual standards Manhattan represents. That was one of the most stupid posts I've read on any board.

Posted by: smilingsun ()
Date: April 2, 2005 12:53

Many "thoughts" in Manhattan's post are really distasteful, however, his point about the Polish women is true of course.
Maybe this pope was better than all previous ones, but it doesn't change anything on the fact that his opinions are unacceptable. The death of a very old man is a natural thing, and I don't see the pope a better, or more important human than any other decent human being.

Date: April 2, 2005 15:16

Whether his opinions or not are unacceptable is of course something people might have different thoughts about...

Posted by: Kaskell ()
Date: April 2, 2005 15:56

This is so exciting - looks like the best message board I have ever been on!
Is he still alive? What happens if he dies? How long will it take till there is a new Pope? Questions, questions...

Catholic Kaskell

Date: April 2, 2005 16:46

I am not a Catholic, but I must say that I have had deep respect for Karol Wojtyla/Jan Pawel II. Coming from Protestant Denmark in the 1980s to Poland - and living there for a couple of years - I really learned a lot of positive things about catholicism that was never told in my country, and I do understand the impact of his whole life and service for Poland and indeed for mankind. Having said that I do not agree with many of his - and the Catholic church's official opinions. I am sure that many Catholics as well do not agree. Some say it. Some don't. Some Catholics are deeply conservative. Some very progressive.
( Just like the rest of us....).

The Pope has "performed" his duty on Earth as long as he was fit to do so intellectually. Even here in this forum I hope this will be remembered by all who from time to time mention that a certain band is "too old"....Don't forget that there're much younger people in this world having "sick" ideas and/or playing "silly" tunes. Age is only relevant if you for example discuss Belgian beers....brewed in Catholic monasteries !!

These are not the days and hours to "shout", but rather a time to "forgive". Remember the Pope did just that when he met the guy that tried to kill him.....

Our old friend - Bob Dylan played for the Pope in 1997:
"Mama, put my guns in the ground
I can't shoot them anymore.
That long black cloud is comin' down
I feel like I'm knockin' on heaven's door"

Posted by: Kaskell ()
Date: April 2, 2005 17:11

Yes - like the saying on my local pubs wall: Age doesnt matter, unless you are a cheese.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 2, 2005 20:46

I'm not Catholic (big surprise!), but have some respect for this man. He lived his life by his morals and convictions and did a lot of good in the world. He's ailing now and in his last moments of life. Have some respect man.

Date: April 2, 2005 21:24

i don't think that manhattan know what is respect.....anyway thank's for all of you who's know what that word means.

Date: April 2, 2005 21:24

i don't think that manhattan know what is respect.....anyway thank's for all of you who's know what that word means.

Date: April 2, 2005 23:06

Pope dies at 21.37

Re: The Pope
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 3, 2005 00:27

Yes, also here in Italy everyone is very moved...he's been good. Tomek, the first thought of me and my family goes to the people in Poland, we understand he must be so special for you all...

Date: April 3, 2005 00:33

Everybody in Poland are crying.....i can't speak..big respect for italian footbal clubs...look at their web pages...sad sad sad

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: April 3, 2005 02:26

WHOLE POLAND IN A DEEP SAD .

Tomek jestem z £odzi.chyba jestesmy tu jedynymi polakami na forum.

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: April 3, 2005 10:40

May he rest in Peace....

Date: April 3, 2005 11:39

NO chyba tak..choc kiedys gadalem z gosciem ze szczecina,no a ja jestem z chorzowa

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: April 3, 2005 16:51

Manhattan: how low can a person go.....

I think your comments tell everything about you as a person.....

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 3, 2005 19:31

mickijaggeroo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Also, he usually tours behind new material."
> No way, his setlists are more than 2000 years old,
>

Gives the song 2000 lightyears from home new meaning.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: April 4, 2005 00:04

How many people are praying for this great Man.
How many stupids words i have read on these messages about the Pope.
If you aren't agree with his religion you can almost respect him in these sad days.
Thanks

Date: April 4, 2005 00:51

He was truly great both as religios leader, politician, and human beeing. My condolences to all catholics.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: April 4, 2005 01:06

Bärs Wrote:
> He was truly great both as religios leader,
> politician, and human beeing. My condolences to
> all catholics.

He was a good politician, true. Human beeing, maybe, I did not know him. As a religious leader he was pretty strickt. His rules were law, no place to interped things in any other way than his. He was not a very good manager of the RK church (as far as a business is concerned). All in all a person died. That's always sad. But when average Jo dies, it will not create such a fuss. Is Jo's life less valueable then the popes? No, he is just not a public figure.

Posted by: Smalltowns ()
Date: April 4, 2005 09:41

Yeah what a great man! Bless his heart! I think everybody will remember him espacially the polish people!

Date: April 4, 2005 10:08

Potted Shrimp Wrote:
But when
> average Jo dies, it will not create such a fuss.
> Is Jo's life less valueable then the popes? No, he
> is just not a public figure.

Yes, and your point is...

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: April 4, 2005 10:52

My point? Are we going to make such a big 'drama' about ANY man dying? No. This happens only when a public figure dies, only because we 'know' him from thru the media. This is rather strange as we do not know the guy in person. It's a human reaction, but it's a strange one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-04 10:53 by Potted Shrimp.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: April 4, 2005 11:21

Mueve las caderas ! Wrote:
> How many people are praying for this great Man.
> How many stupids words i have read on these
> messages about the Pope.
> If you aren't agree with his religion you can
> almost respect him in these sad days.
> Thanks

Couldn't agree more!!! Please, if you have only silly things to say on this thread then please don't say them at all !

Sometimes you wonder if people on this board are just looking for arguments...

Esky

I respect women who can suck golf balls through a garden hose....

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 4, 2005 13:10

My sympathies with all catholics.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1349
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home