Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Rolling Stones Soar Past Beatles With Historic Glastonbury Performance!
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 3, 2013 08:58

i just think it's sad that people are actually arguing about all this.

WHO F**KING CARES ???

Date: July 3, 2013 08:59

keefriffhard4life
i just think its sad it took the stones over 40 years to soar past the beatles as this thread title implies

No sadness here.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 3, 2013 09:05

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
GravityBoy
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
GravityBoy
Hey Lone Ranger, what is your opinion of Chuck Levell as a keyboard player?

I like Chuck, but I am certainly not qualified to judge his playing.

True.. true.

What do you think of Chuck as a keyboard player? Mick obviously thinks he is adequate.

I've heard it said that Chuck IS the Stones.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 3, 2013 09:24

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
sonomastone
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
GasLightStreet
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
71Tele
These posts are in violation of the new "quoting" rules set forth a few weeks ago.

Where's StonesTod when you need him?

Oh, for crying out loud, Good Bye, and Good Luck.

Heard that before.

I meant to say: Good Night, Sleep Tight.

hi ho, silver!

In theaters tomorrow! Check it out! And don't forget James McCartney's new album! It's a classic! Happy Trails. smileys with beer

He IS an insider! He's Johnny Depp, shamelessly plugging his flick.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 3, 2013 09:55

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain

The Beatles are pulling out all stops to attempt to cling to number one, but it's too little too late. Once the Stones left the stage at Glastonbury it was over. Did Mick raise his index finger to the crowd (like Joe Namath did after defeating the "bully league" in 1969?)

So the stones got 50 years to overtake the Beatles but after Glastonbury it's over? Don't the Beatles get a shot to regain the title? You wouldn't believe what they still have in the vaults at Abby Road.... I hear They have a special safe only to be opened if the Stones get close to grabbing the crown. Paul, ringo, yoko and Olivia have to all be present to unlock it - each one has part of the combination.

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: July 3, 2013 10:40

That thread is so pointless like discussing if Ron Wood after 38 years has become a true member or not.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 3, 2013 10:42

leatherjacket
That thread is so pointless like discussing if Ron Wood after 38 years has become a true member or not.

you become a true member if you are a 'dick'.

Date: July 3, 2013 10:50

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
keefriffhard4life
i just think its sad it took the stones over 40 years to soar past the beatles as this thread title implies

No sadness here.

plenty of sadness here. from 1970-2012 according to this thread title the stones were unable to overtake the beatles but after the one of the 2 best shows during a marginally sketchty tour that someone moves the stones past the beatles. makes no sense at all. i thought the stones were always past the beatles but apparently many think this 1 gig did it

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 3, 2013 11:06

keefriffhard4life
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
keefriffhard4life

No sadness here.

plenty of sadness here. from 1970-2012 according to this thread title the stones were unable to overtake the beatles but after the one of the 2 best shows during a marginally sketchty tour that someone moves the stones past the beatles. makes no sense at all. i thought the stones were always past the beatles but apparently many think this 1 gig did it

so true, I count at least 3.

Date: July 3, 2013 20:02

71Tele
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
GasLightStreet
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
71Tele
These posts are in violation of the new "quoting" rules set forth a few weeks ago.

Heard that before.

I was joking about the stupid quoting rules, of course.

Never known you to be a jokester, tele.

Date: July 3, 2013 20:03

GravityBoy

That is one cool badge. Almost as cool as my replica Dirty Harry badge.

Date: July 3, 2013 20:07

71Tele
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
GravityBoy
Hey Lone Ranger, what is your opinion of Chuck Levell as a keyboard player?

I like Chuck, but I am certainly not qualified to judge his playing.

Are you qualified to judge his beard? I think it's magnificent.

Always reminded me of a poor man's version of Kenny Rogers.

Date: July 3, 2013 20:10

Eleanor Rigby

WHO F**KING CARES ???

Isn't that the reason we come here? To argue about silly stuff that won't feed one hungry person or free one innocent man?

Date: July 3, 2013 20:14

sonomastone
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain

The Beatles are pulling out all stops to attempt to cling to number one, but it's too little too late. Once the Stones left the stage at Glastonbury it was over. Did Mick raise his index finger to the crowd (like Joe Namath did after defeating the "bully league" in 1969?)

So the stones got 50 years to overtake the Beatles but after Glastonbury it's over? Don't the Beatles get a shot to regain the title? You wouldn't believe what they still have in the vaults at Abby Road.... I hear They have a special safe only to be opened if the Stones get close to grabbing the crown. Paul, ringo, yoko and Olivia have to all be present to unlock it - each one has part of the combination.

You raise an excellent point. The Hyde Park shows should seal the deal though.

Date: July 3, 2013 20:25

keefriffhard4life
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
keefriffhard4life

No sadness here.

Well, the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks thought they were advancing to the next round of the playoffs last year until they were both "struck by lightning" in the final moments of their respective games. This battle between the Stones and Beatles has been going on for nearly 50 years. The Beatles have always held a slight advantage, until they were "struck by lightning" this past Saturday night at Glastonbury. There is always a deciding moment in any great battle. Saturday night was that moment!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 3, 2013 20:32

Imagine if they dug out two excellent, never relased or surfaced, Beatles albums from the late 60's from the vaults and presented it to the market. Would that change the balance?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 3, 2013 20:35

I thought a new album is what it took to make The Stones soar past The Beatles. What happened to that theory? I guess this is where you make a football analogy and say that you've called an audible?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 3, 2013 21:28

sonomastone

Jigsaw puzzle is another homage to Dylan

Beggars banquet started out primarily (getting back to the topic) with the stones taking their musical direction again from the Beatles who made a sharp shift from psychedelia to acoustic guitar-based songs with the white album. But in the studio lightning struck and the stones defined a new sound for themselves. I suspect primary credit goes to KR and jimmy miller for that.

Starting with beggars banquet it stopping making sense to compare the stones and Beatles as they were exploring very different directions.

i'm always amazed at just how invested in a myth the beatleheads have become.

why in the world would the rolling stones take "direction " from an inferior band??
forget what we think-do you actually think the stones thought the beatles were some superior group worthy of following.? you would have to be out of your mind to believe that.
mick and keith will always give the company line answer when asked about the moptops or any other topic,which is why you need to find an interview with charlie.bill or stu to find out anything about the stones.

lisa robinson-:"what did you think of them?"

IAN STEWART: "the beatles? they were nice lads who sang pretty songs but were horribly overrated.all of the liverpool groups were,they were all musically inept.they could sing but they couldnt play their instruments."

most of those iconic get on your knees and pray to it records the beatles put out were not just overrated,they werent that good.

look at sgt pepper- starts off well but then ringo is singing"what would you do if i turned out the lights" between that and georges trippy dippy sitar song and that cheesy shes leaving home-well,it just sounds very dated and doesnt hold up well....."bithday greeting,bottle of wine",,yeah!! rock and roll paulie...its hilarious.

the white album-i know you guys look at that plain white cover and stare in amazement at its awesome power as though you were the chimps looking at the monolith at the beginning of 2001 space odyssey but to many of us its just another double album full of filler tracks.

revolution 9-really.are you kidding me? ten minutes of sound effects and some idiot saying"#9 #9 over and over again like a mental patient.
rocky raccoon?"dont pass me by dont make me cry....yeah sing it ringo..

the stones music is based in blues, 50s rock,country.if you listen to not only the blues stuff on their early records but the motown covers they have a timeless feel to them and beggars wasnt the stones being bob dylan,the beatles,the kinks or any other inferior musicians, they were just getting back to their roots.

the rolling stones songs,like the band themselves,come to life on a concert stage and show a stark contrast between them and all the others.
everybody else was too caught up in their respective eras to be what the stones have become, what they were always destined to be-one for the ages....the greatest rock and roll band the world has ever known,its not even close.

Date: July 3, 2013 21:47

GumbootCloggeroo
I thought a new album is what it took to make The Stones soar past The Beatles. What happened to that theory? I guess this is where you make a football analogy and say that you've called an audible?

Exactly. The end result is the bottom line. Whether it be by a pass, or a run, or any other way a score is produced to achieve victory, it really doesn't matter. Never hurts to have a little cushion though. A great new Stones album would provide that.

You never know, the Beatles could some day counter with the Sons of the Beatles which would draw the attention back on them (The Beatles) which could ultimately swing it back in their favor. It's really a battle to win the hearts and minds of the rock historians, because it is them that will ultimately decide the outcome of this historic half century battle.

Date: July 3, 2013 21:55

Stoneage
Imagine if they dug out two excellent, never relased or surfaced, Beatles albums from the late 60's from the vaults and presented it to the market. Would that change the balance?

It's possible, but I would be more worried about the sons coming together and forming a band.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: July 3, 2013 22:05

It's not a football league - there are no standings. Two different bands.

Date: July 3, 2013 22:11

lem motlow
sonomastone

Jigsaw puzzle is another homage to Dylan

Beggars banquet started out primarily (getting back to the topic) with the stones taking their musical direction again from the Beatles who made a sharp shift from psychedelia to acoustic guitar-based songs with the white album. But in the studio lightning struck and the stones defined a new sound for themselves. I suspect primary credit goes to KR and jimmy miller for that.

Starting with beggars banquet it stopping making sense to compare the stones and Beatles as they were exploring very different directions.

i'm always amazed at just how invested in a myth the beatleheads have become.

why in the world would the rolling stones take "direction " from an inferior band??
forget what we think-do you actually think the stones thought the beatles were some superior group worthy of following.? you would have to be out of your mind to believe that.
mick and keith will always give the company line answer when asked about the moptops or any other topic,which is why you need to find an interview with charlie.bill or stu to find out anything about the stones.

lisa robinson-:"what did you think of them?"

IAN STEWART: "the beatles? they were nice lads who sang pretty songs but were horribly overrated.all of the liverpool groups were,they were all musically inept.they could sing but they couldnt play their instruments."

most of those iconic get on your knees and pray to it records the beatles put out were not just overrated,they werent that good.

look at sgt pepper- starts off well but then ringo is singing"what would you do if i turned out the lights" between that and georges trippy dippy sitar song and that cheesy shes leaving home-well,it just sounds very dated and doesnt hold up well....."bithday greeting,bottle of wine",,yeah!! rock and roll paulie...its hilarious.

the white album-i know you guys look at that plain white cover and stare in amazement at its awesome power as though you were the chimps looking at the monolith at the beginning of 2001 space odyssey but to many of us its just another double album full of filler tracks.

revolution 9-really.are you kidding me? ten minutes of sound effects and some idiot saying"#9 #9 over and over again like a mental patient.
rocky raccoon?"dont pass me by dont make me cry....yeah sing it ringo..

the stones music is based in blues, 50s rock,country.if you listen to not only the blues stuff on their early records but the motown covers they have a timeless feel to them and beggars wasnt the stones being bob dylan,the beatles,the kinks or any other inferior musicians, they were just getting back to their roots.

the rolling stones songs,like the band themselves,come to life on a concert stage and show a stark contrast between them and all the others.
everybody else was too caught up in their respective eras to be what the stones have become, what they were always destined to be-one for the ages....the greatest rock and roll band the world has ever known,its not even close.

Hmm as a stones fan I urge you to be less defensive; it's a sign of weakness. Stones fans have nothing to be defensive about.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 3, 2013 22:31

try to follow along little beatlehead- we are discussing whether this big show has put the stones at the top of the list, ahead of the beatles for people who may have previously thought otherwise.

i gave you my opinion,the beatles were never that good in the first place.

sorry you took offense..or defense or whatever you are trying to say.

Date: July 3, 2013 23:31

lem motlow
try to follow along little beatlehead- we are discussing whether this big show has put the stones at the top of the list, ahead of the beatles for people who may have previously thought otherwise.

In my mind they passed the Beatles ten years ago at MSG on the night of the HBO concert, however, it's the rock historians that will ultimately decide. It is my opinion that Glastonbury will be the tipping point in the battle. It's not that they performed better than ever on that evening. It was the "perfect storm." A high level performance, on the world stage, at a mega event (in front of a young and frenzied audience) at just the right moment in time.

Date: July 3, 2013 23:41

Eleanor Rigby

WHO F**KING CARES ???

Who cares? Thousands of us, but it's not like it's more important than making next months rent. Don't be sad. It should be a time of great celebration for all Stones fans around the world. Don't take it so seriously, it's only rock 'n roll. smiling smiley

Date: July 4, 2013 01:30

lem motlow

still too defensive - stones fans shouldn't simper and whine, we should swagger, and be proud.

no one is seriously talking about whether this big show put the stones at the top of the list. the entire world has made their mind up one way or another long ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-04 01:44 by sonomastone.

Date: July 4, 2013 04:59

sonomastone
lem motlow

still too defensive - stones fans shouldn't simper and whine, we should swagger, and be proud.

no one is seriously talking about whether this big show put the stones at the top of the list. the entire world has made their mind up one way or another long ago.

It really doesn't matter (much) what you, I, or the rest of the world thinks. It's how rock historians will vote in about five to ten years. The Stones will have to retire before that happens.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 4, 2013 05:59

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
treaclefingers
Finally, 50 odd years down the line the Stones soar past the Beatles...quite an achievement! smileys with beer

They must be so pleased to get that monkey off their back. I wonder if they're a little embarrassed that it took them 43 years to win against a band that wasn't even in it to compete any more?

At least now JJOL can find something new to cheerlead about!

Never underestimate the power of the Beatles.

Yes, if they decide to do a new album I will be out of business.

What business would that be? The one that's full of itself? Let's hope.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 4, 2013 06:00

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
GasLightStreet
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
71Tele

Heard that before.

Why don't you say what you mean then? Oh wait, you do, with your inanity ridden threads.

Date: July 4, 2013 06:24

GasLightStreet
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
GasLightStreet
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
71Tele

Heard that before.

Why don't you say what you mean then? Oh wait, you do, with your inanity ridden threads.

Because, I am counting on you (and others) to understand when I am winking at you. Most get it, but for some reason, you don't. This has been an on-going problem between you and I from the very beginning. You seem to be really threatened by my opinions. You show up on all of my threads and immediately go into "attack mode."

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home