Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 37
Re: Glastonbury 29-June-2013 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: July 1, 2013 16:58

Currently putting together a DVD (sourced from my BBC HD transmission) which includes the Saturday night broadcast (the final hour of the set) and also JJF and Glastonbury Girl which were shown on Sunday.

At the risk of saturating the market I'll upload to either DaD or HC.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 1, 2013 17:07

Thanks stonehearted for the JJF video!

Just one observation - thought: On 3.13 Ronnie is rewarded for his playing by an enthousiastic crowd's cheer. Does he deliver something special or unusual at this moment? IMO no. Ronnie is just doing his usual good job on JJF. Crowd's reaction reminds me of some recent complaints (here, on the board, of course...) about how "boring" Ronnie is on JJF, etc, etc.

I see a kind of symbolism here... It's about the huge difference between people (fans, casual fans or the so called general public) who appreciate and enjoy good music and good performances THEMSELVES and some "hard core" fans who are always hitched on the past... "Ronnie had performed differently on that during 1975 tour- why don't he try it again?", etc, etc.

The funniest thing about these "hardcore fans", who always idealize the past (this could be an interesting topic) and always underestimate whatever the Stones do today, is that they are mocking the band as "nostalgia act"...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 1, 2013 17:12

GuessWho
Currently putting together a DVD (sourced from my BBC HD transmission) which includes the Saturday night broadcast (the final hour of the set) and also JJF and Glastonbury Girl which were shown on Sunday.

Sounds good but since we'll probably have a DVD of the full show soon (15Gb torrent on Dime), do you think you could upload JJF in 720p to Mega so I can add it to the "50th archive" where Glastonbury Girl alreay is? Currently have the 360p version only : [mega.co.nz]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: July 1, 2013 17:52

gotdablouse
GuessWho

Sounds good but since we'll probably have a DVD of the full show soon (15Gb torrent on Dime), do you think you could upload JJF in 720p to Mega so I can add it to the "50th archive" where Glastonbury Girl alreay is? Currently have the 360p version only : [mega.co.nz]

Can't do a 720p from my HD source BUT perhpas this is what you are looking for....

[www.hungercity.org]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 1, 2013 17:58

Can't access HC unfortunately...if your source is 1080i that's ok too ;-)

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 1, 2013 18:21

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: July 1, 2013 18:23

who missed Glastonbury Girl, here it is (audio only):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-01 18:24 by MoreFastNumbers.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 1, 2013 18:33

gotdablouse
Thanks, 360p only though, anyone got the 720p? Thanks!

crawdaddy
Bummer. BBC have taken their videos off YouTube. Guess they would. sad smiley

DVD available as a direct download on Mega in the "50th Archive" -> [www.iorr.org] ;-)

As for Arenas vs Stadiums...clearly they were thrilled to be in front of a huge audience, money doesn't really matter for them anymore (as long as the net doesn't go down) so they need new "challenges", stadiums could do that after 23 arena shows.

I think it's more than that. The crucial factor is non-seated events. That could be a theater of a stadium. Non-seated events allow a more enthusiastic crowd reaction and lots of jumping up and down etc. I suppose they do have the tongue pit but nothing beats 180000 people all dancing and jumping and singing along!

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: July 1, 2013 19:49

Listening to the audio from the show and there are only 2 bad parts:

Mick singing in the wrong key at the beginning of 2000 Light Years and the piano is way too high in the mix on several songs.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: July 1, 2013 20:02

MoreFastNumbers
who missed Glastonbury Girl, here it is (audio only):

Love the Glastonbury Girl! Love the Factory Girl! Love the groovy, mellow people at Glastonbury! smileys with beer

Somebody here get those lyrics together?

Waitin for a girl - she was wearing cut-off jeans,
Waitin for a girl - and her wellies were bright green,
I met her peeing in the street [LOL! grinning smiley ]
Waitin' for a Glastonbury girl!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-01 20:24 by waterrats.

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: July 1, 2013 20:28

Just got back now, what a weekend. The weather God must be a Stones fan!!!

Ive seen some headliners in the past at The Pyramid but The Stones blew everyone out of the water. Moments like that are special, so happy I was there to see it. The atmosphere was electric, you could feel the positive energy in the air all day

Still on a massive high now

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: July 1, 2013 20:31

richie26188

>grinning smiley< spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 1, 2013 20:33

Ronnie smoking a lot, more than during any 2013 shows. TV : he is a rocker. smiling smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 1, 2013 20:47

Mick, Keith, Charlie & Ronnie before their Glastonbury show #StonesGlasto @MickJagger @officialKeef @ronniewood

[twitter.com]

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: July 1, 2013 20:49

waterrats
Somebody here get those lyrics together?

from @RollingStones (official twitter)

GLASTONBURY GIRL

WAITING FOR A GIRL SHE WAS WEARING CUT-OFF JEANS

WAITING FOR A GIRL AND HER WELLIES WERE BRIGHT GREEN

I MET HER PEE-ING IN THE STREAM

WAITING FOR MY GLASTONBURY GIRL

GAVE HER ALL MY WET WIPES WASHED OFF ALL HER DIRT

LIT HER UP A CIGARETTE I GAVE HER MY CLEAN SHIRT

OFFERED HER MY LUXURY YURT

WAITING FOR A GLASTONBURY GIRL

WAITING ON THE HILL SUCKING A BALLOON

WAITING FOR A GIRL GONNA SING A HIGH-PITCHED TUNE

I AINT SLEPT SINCE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

WAITING FOR MY GLASTONBURY GIRL

WAITING FOR A GIRL HELPED HER PUT UP HER TEE-PEE

WAITING FOR A GIRL SHE TOOK ALL MY ECSTASY

NOW SHE’S OFF WITH PRIMAL SCREAM

WAITING FOR A GLASTONBURY GIRL

STILL WAITING FOR MY GLASTONBURY GIRL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-01 20:53 by MoreFastNumbers.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 1, 2013 20:55

i'm having one of those "you should see the look on your face" moments with you guys.

when the band was in the early stages of the tour over here it was nearly impossible to even get a positive word in without a storm of-

" they're a bunch of greedy bastards only doing it for the money and playing the same setlists over and over on autopilot and mick taylor is not on enough songs and and and..." to the point where bv had to make a "complaints thread" that is now about 24 pages.

to go from that to "a great brown sugar"'the band was on fire"'they should play more stadiums" and my favorite-"they dont do it for the money anymore" after one show is putting a hige smile on my face.

i know glastonbury is a big deal over there and everyone is really excited that the stones did it but at the end of the day its all about the music, they still had the drive and the ability to go out and play a show that well-

we've been telling you for two months,do you believe us now???

THE FOCKING STONES ARE BACK!!! ...hyde park is just gonna drive the point home even more.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 1, 2013 21:05

They are back... so they have gone previously... That's the point. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-01 21:13 by Powerage.

Date: July 1, 2013 21:25

lem motlow
i'm having one of those "you should see the look on your face" moments with you guys.

when the band was in the early stages of the tour over here it was nearly impossible to even get a positive word in without a storm of-

" they're a bunch of greedy bastards only doing it for the money and playing the same setlists over and over on autopilot and mick taylor is not on enough songs and and and..." to the point where bv had to make a "complaints thread" that is now about 24 pages.

to go from that to "a great brown sugar"'the band was on fire"'they should play more stadiums" and my favorite-"they dont do it for the money anymore" after one show is putting a hige smile on my face.

i know glastonbury is a big deal over there and everyone is really excited that the stones did it but at the end of the day its all about the music, they still had the drive and the ability to go out and play a show that well-

we've been telling you for two months,do you believe us now???

THE FOCKING STONES ARE BACK!!! ...hyde park is just gonna drive the point home even more.

You got it wrong. It's so hard to judge a performance from a badly filmed youtube clip on someones phone. I saw them at O2 last year and they were great, much better than they have been since B2B/NS tour. However the Glastonbury footage shows a band a step up from that. It is also a step up from the PPV show.

The other reason I think the show is so good is that it was not a seated show. The fact is that in the UK for the last few years (Licks onwards) they have done seated shows. These shows are great for well-off people of a certain generation who need to go for a pee half way through or for those who like to garuntee their place at the front. However, it also sucks the atmosphere out of the show - whether it's in a stadium or an arena. I imagine it must be great to be in the pit but for the majority of fans in the audience it is not as energetic. (It has also priced the younger generation out of seeing the Stones - hence why the majority of the crowd at Glasto were first timers and not jaded by multiple exposure to "warhorses".)

What they got at Glastonbury therefore was a very high energy crowd. Listen to how long and loud the crowd was singing da da da da da after the end of satisfaction. You don't get that carnival atmosphere at a seated venue. Listen to BV who has followed them the entire tour. He can judge the differnce between the shows. He says "I have seen Nirvana at Kalvøya, Queen at Råsunda, and The Rolling Stones at SarsStock, Copacabana, Werchter, Isle of Wight, Slane Castle, Hockenheim and many other festival settings, with crowds anywhere from thousands to 1.5 million. Nothing compares to the Glastonbery Experience."

I play in a band and I can tell you that the energy in what you play comes from the audience. There is no way in the world that 180000 fans jumping up and down and singing at the top of their voices could not energise you to an extreme level.

So what we are all saying is yes we can finally see from our living rooms that the Stones are back - as you've been telling us. But IN ADDITION, we can also see that this gig was special because it wasn't seated and was a much younger and more energetic crowd.

Many people (mostly of an older generation) will say they prefer seated gigs. That's fine - there have been plenty. I for one am glad that the Stones are insisting on having GA down the front at Hyde Park. They will feed off the energy and it will be a better gig for it, just as Glastonbury was no doubt a unique and high energy gig for those there just as for us watching on TV.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 1, 2013 22:01

i agree to a point.this show was most definitely a huge day for the stones and us.

but if a band just doesnt have it anymore no crowd,no matter how big and loud they are can make them perform at a level above what they have the ability to do.
if that were the case any band who played glastonbury would be as good as the stones were the other night and the show in front of one million on the beach in rio would be the best.but thats not the case- this year for whatever reason,they are just nailing it.

it was by all accounts a great great show with a fantastic crowd and good weather also.i'm not trying to take any of that away,i'm just trying to make the point that the stones didnt just awake from a stupor and start playing great again because they were at glastonbury.they've been really focused and working hard this whole tour,it just became glaringly obvious under such a big spotlight.

Date: July 1, 2013 22:06

lem motlow
i agree to a point.this show was most definitely a huge day for the stones and us.

but if a band just doesnt have it anymore no crowd,no matter how big and loud they are can make them perform at a level above what they have the ability to do.
if that were the case any band who played glastonbury would be as good as the stones were the other night and the show in front of one million on the beach in rio would be the best.but thats not the case- this year for whatever reason,they are just nailing it.

it was by all accounts a great great show with a fantastic crowd and good weather also.i'm not trying to take any of that away,i'm just trying to make the point that the stones didnt just awake from a stupor and start playing great again because they were at glastonbury.they've been really focused and working hard this whole tour,it just became glaringly obvious under such a big spotlight.

Totally agree with you there. The Stones are the greatest rock n roll band in the world after all. winking smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 1, 2013 22:20

waterrats
richie26188

>grinning smiley< spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I wasn't there and I'm still high.
STD was sensational

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 1, 2013 22:31

Great review

The Rolling Stones proved to Glastonbury's biggest ever audience, they were worth the wait, says Neil McCormick.

If I may adapt a classic blues riff: I woke up this morning and thought I must be still dreaming. Slightly hung-over in a tent in a Somerset field after one of the best nights of my life, I contemplated the alternative universe of my Twitter feed. And there I was slightly stunned to find people who had stayed home to tune into BBC’s Glastonbury coverage from the comfort of their sofas were casting aspersions on a storming headline set by The Rolling Stones. It would appear that the veteran rockers’ torturous negotiations with the BBC over limited broadcast rights had come back to bite Mick Jagger’s wiggly posterior. A set that started the home viewing 10 songs in and switched off before the encores had been judged safe, predictable and, even, that most 21st century of live problems, “badly edited”. Well, please allow me to put all the couch campers straight. The whole point of live music is that you have to be there. No one at Glastonbury was complaining about the Stones poor televisual skills. We were too busy playing our part in the greatest show on earth.
Because on Saturday night at Glastonbury, The Rolling Stones restaged their claim to be acknowledged as the greatest rock and roll band in the world. I don’t think you would have heard any dispute from the record breaking 100,000 crowd of grinning, dancing, fist-shaking, flag-waving, flare-burning revellers sprawling up the hillside in front of the Pyramid stage.
A live event is as much about audience as performer and Glastonbury’s happy campers greeted the old rockers with the kind of uninhibited relish that effectively gives permission for everyone to take this as far and as high as they can. The Stones responded with a smartly planned set of big hitters that constantly opened up into long, jamming, weaving guitar grooves spiralling into the ether, from a heart-lifting opening blast of Jumpin’ Jack Flash to a fiercely motoring encore of Satisfaction, with Mick Jagger yelping “Gotta do it like Otis Redding” whilst goading Keith Richards into further sloppy riffing action. At times these 50 year veterans of the stage looked as dazed and happy as the audience.
Pretenders to The Stones crown had staked their claims earlier on a sunny festival day. Hot Irish quartet The Strypes ripped up the John Peel stage with a blistering set of raw, garage blues rock, closely modelled on the Stones circa ‘64, with a dash of Eric Burdon’s Animals aggression, Yardbirds-style soloing and Dr Feelgood intensity. All this, and they are younger than One Direction, schoolboys ready to take over the world. Then Primal Scream warmed up the Pyramid Stage with limber rhythms substantially inspired by the Stones but perfectly recalibrated for a new (and frankly even more stoned) generation.
I thought they might be a hard act to follow. The Rolling Stones had other ideas, tackling this show with energy, charisma and a fearlessness that comes from a lifetime on the road.

It’s a long time since this band have had anything to prove, but at Glastonbury they proved it all night, in a set of dynamic highs and lows, jazzy weavings and blues blasts, country delicacy and strutting rock. The psychedelic groove of a rarely performed 2000 Light Years From Home showed Primal Scream how to do space jazz, and a time-switching Midnight Rambler, with Jagger’s harmonica spinning off Mick Taylor’s silvery lead, lit up the gulf between The Strypes adolescent attack and the epic possibilities of the electric blues. It would have been a heart stopping climax to most sets but the Stones have so many classic hits and they just kept rolling them out.
It was a rip roaring, uplifting, inspiring and quite sensational show, one that will go down in Glastonbury history, when a 50-year-old band played a 40-year-old festival and were given a heroic response by an audience most of whom hadn’t been born when The Stones had their last hit. Thanking us for sticking with them across the decades, Jagger suddenly laughed, as if remembering this isn’t his usual crowd, and added “and if this is the first time you’ve ever seen the band, do come again.” You really had to be there.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 1, 2013 22:39

It was one for the ages all right. Like Bruce Springsteen says: Prove it all night...... And they did. This was the epitome of joined forces coming together into a higher unity. Words cannot describe it. All of them were on fire, and the angels in heaven danced along.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 1, 2013 22:49

Looks like the Stones aren't the only band who had a great set!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 1, 2013 22:55

stonehearted
Apparently this YouTube user hasn't yet received the memo, so we can enjoy it while it lasts....

My God...THIS IS EPIC...fast forward to Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor on acoustic guitar...wha????...unleash that mother and the stage will take off into the stratosphere!) and watch Keef's vicious solo and Jagger literally jumping out of his skin with electricity...this is fcuking stunning...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 1, 2013 23:02

bye bye johnny

Mick, Keith, Charlie & Ronnie before their Glastonbury show #StonesGlasto @MickJagger @officialKeef @ronniewood

[twitter.com]

When I am 66 I want to look like Ron Wood.

But I want his jacket NOW!

Mathijs

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 1, 2013 23:04

Mathijs
bye bye johnny

[twitter.com]

When I am 66 I want to look like Ron Wood.

But I want his jacket NOW!

Mathijs

Hear hear. I agree.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 1, 2013 23:06

stonehearted
Apparently this YouTube user hasn't yet received the memo, so we can enjoy it while it lasts....

Great stuff. How you got round that I don't know. Unfortunately laptop packed up and at the 'doctors' to get sorted.smileys with beer

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 1, 2013 23:20

I'm watching it now over in Spain and got tears in my eyes............I thought it would be ages before I'd see their performance again. ''It makes a grown man cry''..........with tears of joy I hasten to add. Midnight Rambler watching now. What a great performance. hot smiley

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 1, 2013 23:32

I received this email from a friend who attended the show...I had nbeen waiting for his report...here it is:

"Well all I can say is the intangible magic is obvious from the 1st chord. 170,000 people peacefully cramming in to witness the event. Many simply to see the curio of the rolling strolling bones FINALLY doing glastonbury, and many to see if they could actually manage not to bore tha audience and confirm disbelief and skepticism.

Instead, the band f*cking SHATTERED the expectations of loyal groupies, casual followers, and curious 'millenials' whom heretofore had never paid attention to them. This batch of 66-70 year old f*cks spellbound one of the largest gatherings glastonbury ever had, FOR OVER 2 HOURS.

I can only imagine what other bands must think. Who THE F*CK wants to follow THAT the next night? To be exposed as the jejune and effete musical FOOTNOTE that they are in the rock-n-roll firmament, when compared against SEXAGENARIAN anomalies who re-confirmed their pinnacle-of-the-pantheon status, and gave a concert that will be judged among their finest ever and among THE finest ever, about 3 decades after the casual observer thought they were capable of executing at that level?

Holy shit. The owner of the f*cking annual spectacle himself just avowed it was glastonbury's FINEST SET EVER. And you could tell by the look on the band's faces as they took their final bow. A recognition that they had just written another glorious chapter in front of 170,000 mouth agape witnesses.

Without doubt, close the books. This was the finest 2 hours of live concert of 2013."

There you have it...the Rolling Stones killed it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home