Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 33 of 37
Re: Glastonbury 29-June-2013 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 2, 2013 14:02

The press seem to be split between those who think it was fantastic and those who think it was rubbish...which pretty much reflects the whole world's opinion of the Rolling Stones . [They are a bit like Marmite ]

That said, most of the negative stuff in the press is centered around the nonsensical idea that you shouldn't be playing RNR at 70... and the usual apparent surprise that 70 year old guys have wrinkles !

In short...very lazy journalism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-02 14:16 by Spud.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: July 2, 2013 14:13

DandelionPowderman
I did, and the sound was excellent. A few times, though, the live mix had a few flaws. Like in the beginning of the choir on YCAGWYW, for instance, when all we heard was the male bass voices (and, boy, did one of them sing off key!) smiling smiley

When I watched that I thought I was hearing an audience member singing along, it really was very off-key!

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 2, 2013 14:20

Wild Slivovitz
It seems that many people who've been watching the show on TV think it' not been so good:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

From what I've watched, I think it was really good, though.

To be honest, whilst Miss You, Rambler and 2000 Light Years is great for us, it's a pretty low key start to the set for casual viewers sitting down to watch them play Paint It Black Or Gimme Shelter. That, plus the rather unexciting sound mix (in my view) might explain why the critisism online was so harsh and immediate. There was a similar reaction on a couple of non music forums i am on, a reaction that turned around almost completely during that cracking last half hour.

Pretty much every review or comment i've read from people of all ages who were actually there basically say how incredible the whole thing was.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 2, 2013 14:26

Comments about the show from intelligent people are interesting, while some of the comments on the Telegraph thread (see link below) surely are made by people who talk without thinking, and I am sure some did not even go to the show, did not see the broadcast, but just like here on IORR, there are some who simply want to be seen and heard, with no relations to the band. Like with a light in the summer night. Many kinds of bugs showing up.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Bjornulf

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: July 2, 2013 14:26

stonehearted
What's amazing is that Glastonbury is the first Rolling Stones live set of the current tour where there are virtually no videos uploaded to YouTube of every song they played. All that remain are the Vimeo clips of Jack Flash and Glastonbury Girl and the 1-hour of BBC coverage of the second half.

It must truly have been a novice crowd experiencing The Stones for the first time, because all that's on YouTube is that cell phone YouTube clip of Jack Flash. I've been looking for Can't You Hear Me Knocking, and can't find a thing.

Then again, hardcore fans couldn't have known The Stones would be playing Glastonbury when tickets sold out months in advance, before it was announced that they would be headlining one of the days.

So, because I'm still too behind the times to do torrents sites and what have you, I'll just have to wait for the full official DVD release, likely in time for the holiday market. Having released some form of product in every year this decade so far, The Stones wouldn't let 2013 slip past without putting out something, and this is what would be most anticipated, and it will show mega sales I'm sure, what with spectacular Glastonbury and Hyde park shows in the same DVD package. And, who knows, it could even be released in CD format as well. There you have it--the Stones at Glastonbury, the modern day equivalent of The Who Live At Leeds, a full live CD as part of a 2-CD 50 & Counting audio package.

Number of reasons for the lack of video. Day 4 of the festival, the battery on most peoples phones & cameras is low if not already ran out. The majority of younger people there want to enjoy the moment, not view it through a camera lense

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: July 2, 2013 14:48

Impossible to focus when 100,000 people are pogoing like lunatics all around you....

Date: July 2, 2013 14:48

The video is still up:

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 2, 2013 15:25

Wild Slivovitz
It seems that many people who've been watching the show on TV think it' not been so good:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

I've read that article.

It's nothing worth taking seriously or responding to. I don't honestly think there were many REAL people complaining about their performance, just a few jokers making fun of their age.

Sorry, but I remember a radio times article during Steel Wheels tour joking about the next stones tour being sponsored by Saga.

As long as the Stones are the first band to keep doing this into their "senior" years, you have to learn to take the age jokes with a pinch of salt. Who cares? I hope I can do that at their age - it's just jealousy!

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 2, 2013 15:47

Spud
The press seem to be split between those who think it was fantastic and those who think it was rubbish...which pretty much reflects the whole world's opinion of the Rolling Stones . [They are a bit like Marmite ]

That said, most of the negative stuff in the press is centered around the nonsensical idea that you shouldn't be playing RNR at 70... and the usual apparent surprise that 70 year old guys have wrinkles !

All the big papers - Guardian, Independent, Telegraph, Times , Standart and others gave 5 stars reviews. but people who took to Twitter sometimes had different view.
I really like the fact that a bunch of 70year old musicians can still cause such controversy.
Here's the answer to this criticism from the Telegraph's music writer who said it was the best rock concert in his life - and he usually is not very kind to the Stones
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 2, 2013 15:55

sjs12
Wild Slivovitz

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

I've read that article.

It's nothing worth taking seriously or responding to. I don't honestly think there were many REAL people complaining about their performance, just a few jokers making fun of their age.

Sorry, but I remember a radio times article during Steel Wheels tour joking about the next stones tour being sponsored by Saga.

As long as the Stones are the first band to keep doing this into their "senior" years, you have to learn to take the age jokes with a pinch of salt. Who cares? I hope I can do that at their age - it's just jealousy!

RS Glasto gig has 2.6 million viewers at its peak (1.5 average) - the highest figure for any musical show in the history of the BBC. These numbers speak for themselves. All who didn't like Stones write how they have switched to other channels but at least 1.5 million remained with broadcasting. It just people willing to share negative more than positive

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 2, 2013 16:01

proudmary

I really like the fact that a bunch of 70year old musicians can still cause such controversy.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 2, 2013 16:18

If people didn't like it, and say so then that's their opinion and no less valid than anyone saying it was great

Who cares ?

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: July 2, 2013 16:33

Got to Start me up now, and I really like the sound of this show so far! 2000LYFH might need some improvement, but great to hear it live! Seeing this makes me GRIN! Hyde Park in 4 days! hot smiley

Posted by: Dutchfan ()
Date: July 2, 2013 16:35

I've been reading these posts on Glastonbury with great interest. I think it's great that the Stones are still playing. And even if it isn't all what it used to be, they are still very good at what they do.The Stones have NEVER been a flawless live band but that is a part of their charm. It's only rock and roll! They certainly won the crowd over last Saturday. They really seemed to be enjoying themselves. And the crowd was very enthousiastic. So let's stop nagging about the fact that they should retire and be glad that they are still playing for us.While watching it on TV I felt very proud to be a Stones fan. So rock on boys!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 2, 2013 16:36

andy js
If people didn't like it, and say so then that's their opinion and no less valid than anyone saying it was great

Who cares ?

Exactly. The Stones always have neen a bit controversial band in the way they sound; they are not a typical rock by any means - I mean if they only play war horses everybody is familiar with, it will not convince some people.

But the point is: very, very many - and I think about all the right ones - were very impressed. This includes even some of the most critical hardcore fans here at IORR..winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 2, 2013 16:45

Dutchfan
While watching it on TV I felt very proud to be a Stones fan. So rock on boys!

The same here. Even the so called "war horses" sounded special - as they really are - and straight to the point. The band was challenged, and they worked hard; you can hear and see it in every little detail, the charming mistakes included. Seeing Jagger as "human", almost a normal mortal, and not that superman we are so used to, was damn inpressive an sich. And the fact that he took the situation so seriously that he rewrote one of his old songs to the very occasion,.. how cool is that?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-02 16:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 2, 2013 17:02

They need to play more giant parties.. Maybe they are building their own 5 million $$ portable party..

I love the performance. Our guys did great. My only gripe, and this just drives me crazy, is the sound on the broadcast. Guitars are too low and thin.. bass a bit too loud. Piano/keys way way way too loud. Rambler I can hardly hear Keith or Ronnie! ! ! Did the sound guy not understand the band? This isn't Portishead or Widespread Panic or Phish.. this is rocknroll! Guitars should be loud and heavy, turn that snare up and let everything else 'fill in' the sound!

Date: July 2, 2013 17:09

Those watching on tv writing news paper articles should be ignored. If you read any journos who watched Saturday night in person they are unaminous in agreement it was a triumph.

This guy from The Guardian sums it up

[youtu.be]

I'll never forget Saturday night - U2, Springsteen and the bands of today like Coldplay who have all headlined Glastonbury couldn't hold a candle to our boys. They knocked it out of the ballpark.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-02 17:11 by richie26188.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 2, 2013 18:06

Based on the Broadcast I watched/listend to on Youtube, I thought the sound was well balanced. Everything just loud enough to hear the notes they were playing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-02 18:07 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 2, 2013 19:09

Mr.D
Theentire proshot show two hours fifteen minutes is here:

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Now we get to see CYHMK PROSHOT!!!

Unfortunately, the guy who had the kindness to made available the download apparently removed his account after a whole bunch of complainers and whiners insulted him. It's a pity.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 2, 2013 20:39

Spud

I have not read one negative review in the press! The Daily Mail ran a front page headline that read 'Night of the living dead' but still praised their performance. Other than that it was all very positive.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 2, 2013 20:58

richie26188
Those watching on tv writing news paper articles should be ignored. If you read any journos who watched Saturday night in person they are unaminous in agreement it was a triumph.

This guy from The Guardian sums it up

[youtu.be]

I'll never forget Saturday night - U2, Springsteen and the bands of today like Coldplay who have all headlined Glastonbury couldn't hold a candle to our boys. They knocked it out of the ballpark.

i agree, great guy from the Guardian.
What a gig. what a band.!!!!
jeroen

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 2, 2013 21:19

Yes, the show was amazing. But i am really surprised to see many people who know the Stones being astonished to their performance at Glastonbury. To me, no surprise. Not at all. I think the level of band's performance there was almost "announced", considering some obvious factors.

1. The general level of the previous shows of the tour.

2. Who was not certain that the Stones would do their best on such a special, important show, focusing their attention on the music for 105%? BTW, despite the myth that "smaller venues are more about music than about show", in northamerican arenas we have seen, sometimes, Keith "playing" with the fans, while he had to deliver SFTD's solo. In a gig like Glasto, these "temptations" were inconceivable.

3. The band had a good break between the last US show and Glasto's concert.

What else did the best rock live act in the music need to give us a "killer" gig? Nothing, i guess.

Posted by: Berry88 ()
Date: July 2, 2013 21:36

The show was killer. I am impressed by The Stones. If they do their best, nobody can't beat them today. What an incredible bunch of cool guys.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 2, 2013 21:40

The Telegraph's music critic put it neatly:

The whole point of live music is that you have to be there.

And most of those who were, thought it was wonderful.

Posted by: BeautifulBuzz ()
Date: July 2, 2013 21:45

Vote for the stones!! Currently No.2

POLL: WHO WAS THE BEST BAND OR ARTIST AT GLASTONBURY 2013?

[www.gigwise.com]

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: July 2, 2013 22:56

In my 50 odd years I've seen em live loads of times since the mid seventies, even been to Glasto a couple of times.....

I watched the concert on TV while listening to the excellent audio on Radio 2,
I found myself completely caught up in the occasion. They sounded absolutely fantastic..... The hairs on my neck stood on end, and I can honestly say I was genuinely moved by the event, but I dont really know why.....

I got the impression they were thouroughly enjoying themselves, particularly Mick.
Even Keith didnt seem that keen to leave the stage at the end.

I dont understand anyone not enjoying it, It was great......

I wish they could have carried on playing..... I wish I'd been there.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 2, 2013 23:08

stonesrule
Acquamarine, I look forward to reading your posts re Hyde Park this time around!

How do the fashions of today stack up with those of 1969? What are you wearing?

Well, not a headband this time, probably. winking smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 2, 2013 23:23

102,500+ views must be a record I guess for this tour. So good to see IORR is the best. smileys with beer

Date: July 3, 2013 01:12

video: [youtu.be]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 33 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2061
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home