Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 32 of 37
Re: Glastonbury 29-June-2013 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 1, 2013 23:44

Gotta say it that Mathijs has been critical over the years on IORR, and I do respect your comments Mathijs.
We are all Stones fans, and your positive views after Glastonbury make me feel good, knowing that you are a musician who knows his stuff. winking smiley

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: July 1, 2013 23:45

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 1, 2013 23:54

MoreFastNumbers
who missed Glastonbury Girl, here it is (audio only):

Love it. winking smiley

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 1, 2013 23:54

gagi

Awesome! Really wanted to see how it was for the crowd!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 2, 2013 00:12

sjs12
lem motlow
i agree to a point.this show was most definitely a huge day for the stones and us.

but if a band just doesnt have it anymore no crowd,no matter how big and loud they are can make them perform at a level above what they have the ability to do.
if that were the case any band who played glastonbury would be as good as the stones were the other night and the show in front of one million on the beach in rio would be the best.but thats not the case- this year for whatever reason,they are just nailing it.

it was by all accounts a great great show with a fantastic crowd and good weather also.i'm not trying to take any of that away,i'm just trying to make the point that the stones didnt just awake from a stupor and start playing great again because they were at glastonbury.they've been really focused and working hard this whole tour,it just became glaringly obvious under such a big spotlight.

Totally agree with you there. The Stones are the greatest rock n roll band in the world after all. winking smiley
No doubt, In fact the gap between The Stones and whoever may be the number 2 de-jour has never been wider.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 2, 2013 00:20

Here is the BBC version of Jumping Jack Flash, still up on Vimeo.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 2, 2013 00:28

I finally had the opportunity to watch that an hour plus footage, and yeah, like everyone has pointed out here, it was a wonferful gig. The challange seemed to inspire the band even to higher heights than what we have seen in this tour so far. The lucky ones who were there were truely wittnessing a historical concert. And happy the rest of us well who get to see/hear quite a lot of the show through telly/net.

I don't know how great the band was earlier in the show, but BBC catched the band in its musically best moment. Damn, what a great sequence of that "Miss You", "Midnight Rambler", and - totally out of blue - "2000 Light Years From Home". I really enjoyed hearing so strong musicianship in each of those tracks. Best version of "Miss You" for ages. Jagger owns it - and he hell sure knows how it works like for the audience like Glastonbury's - but Wood, Jones and Keys did a damn fine job. Ronnie's tasty guitar was amazing. "Rambler" is "Rambler", a bit nervous at first, but give some time, and this band drives it home, and leaves audience breathless. And then, a SATANIC track.... mamma mia! Jagger a "bit" out of key first but the band smoked! Awesome, innovative guitar work by both heroes. Can't really remember when I was the last time listening Stones guitar work with a mouth open; what the hell they are doing!

Taken all those three songs to together... what an incredible hat trick; each showing different angles of their unique, jam-based musicianhip. A groove dance number, followed by a blues opera, and then a trip to 60's psychedelia.... Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-02 00:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: July 2, 2013 00:35

Doxa
I finally had the opportunity to watch that an hour plus footage, and yeah, like everyone has pointed out here, it was a wonferful gig. The challange seemed to inspire the band even to higher heights than what we have seen in this tour so far. The lucky ones who were there were truely wittnessing a historical concert. And happy the rest of us well who get to see/hear quite a lot of the show through telly/net.

I don't know how great the band was earlier in the show, but BBC catched the band in its musically best moment. Damn, what a great sequence of that "Miss You", "Midnight Rambler", and - totally out of blue - "2000 Light Years From Home". I really enjoyed hearing so strong musicianship in each of those tracks. Best version of "Miss You" for ages. Jagger owns it - and he hell sure knows how it works like for the audience like Glastonbury's - but Wood, Jones and Keys did a damn fine job. Ronnie's tasty guitar was amaxing. "Rambler" is "Rambler", a bit nervous at first, but give some time, and this band drives it home, and leaves audience breathless. And then, a SATANIC track.... mamma mia! Jagger a "bit" out of key first but the band smoked! Awesome, innovative guitar work by both heroes. Can't really remember when I was the last time listening Stones guitar work with a mouth open; what the hell they are doing!

Taken all those three songs to together... what an incredible hat trick; each showing different angles of their unique, jam-based musicianhip. A groove dance number, followed by a blues opera, and then a trip to 60's psychedelia.... Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones...

- Doxa

From the off they tore the place down, JJF set the tone, Glastonbury girl really went down well - the crowd lapped it up, Wild Horses was spine tingling, the finale jaw dropping THEY NAILED IT BIGTIME.

If there isnt a dvd of this then ill feel even more privileged to have saw it live, but theyd be robbing the world of a masterclass. It needs to be out there not sitting on some BBC shelf gathering dust

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-02 00:37 by richie26188.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 2, 2013 01:15

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 2, 2013 01:23

What's amazing is that Glastonbury is the first Rolling Stones live set of the current tour where there are virtually no videos uploaded to YouTube of every song they played. All that remain are the Vimeo clips of Jack Flash and Glastonbury Girl and the 1-hour of BBC coverage of the second half.

It must truly have been a novice crowd experiencing The Stones for the first time, because all that's on YouTube is that cell phone YouTube clip of Jack Flash. I've been looking for Can't You Hear Me Knocking, and can't find a thing.

Then again, hardcore fans couldn't have known The Stones would be playing Glastonbury when tickets sold out months in advance, before it was announced that they would be headlining one of the days.

So, because I'm still too behind the times to do torrents sites and what have you, I'll just have to wait for the full official DVD release, likely in time for the holiday market. Having released some form of product in every year this decade so far, The Stones wouldn't let 2013 slip past without putting out something, and this is what would be most anticipated, and it will show mega sales I'm sure, what with spectacular Glastonbury and Hyde park shows in the same DVD package. And, who knows, it could even be released in CD format as well. There you have it--the Stones at Glastonbury, the modern day equivalent of The Who Live At Leeds, a full live CD as part of a 2-CD 50 & Counting audio package.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 2, 2013 01:49

Here's Sympathy from at a guess, a third of the way back. So the guitars were turned up after allgrinning smiley

Posted by: MidnightRambler ()
Date: July 2, 2013 01:57

gagi

I really like this version, I call it the emersion version, thanks for posting. cool smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 2, 2013 03:50

The Rolling Stones at Glastonbury on Saturday:

@RollingStones

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 2, 2013 03:58

Stones Inc. leading the way once again. 1 minute and 36 seconds. Completely identical to the footage shown on the BBC News.

Trailblazers.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 2, 2013 04:44

Acquamarine, I look forward to reading your posts re Hyde Park this time around!

How do the fashions of today stack up with those of 1969? What are you wearing? You can see, I am VERY deep...

Lots of fun everyone!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 2, 2013 07:31

Mathijs
stone13
Its so funny to read hard-die fans reviews when you are not longer one of them...you would think people change or at least, accept change.
Accept that just because the Stones change 3 to 4 miserable songs (you cannot say 2000 light years is a great song AT ALL, nor is factory girl: they might not be crappy songs but that doesnt make them remarkable good songs either) of a predictable-boring set list doesn't make it less boring.
Accepting that the only surprise left (and i am still surprised about that myself) about watching this guys play is that they still get on stage and play a song (the same songs they've been playing live over and over the last...40 years? -HTW,JJF,STF,SFD,YCAGWW,MR,BS, yes they have been played that long) you can actually recognize but hey, that doesnt mean they play it majestically or anything. Be a bit more objective.
Its funny to see how positive people are: "the best show i've seen" show after show. Delusion? i think so, otherwise you would feel a bit ripped off voluntarily after paying more than 100 euros when a cover band would be much more worth.
But if somebody says: "the music is the last thing i care about when i go to see the stones nowadays, i just want to see their faces regardless of what they do" that sounds less delusional to me than "it was a great concert, oh, now its glastonbury girl, oh, oh, and they also played 3 different songs than last time".
I dont go to listen to the stones although i once really liked them (and saw them quite a few times too, thanks god not too many). I prefer to keep the good memories. Id like being delusional but the more i appreciate music, the less appealing it gets to waste my money/energy just for the sake of watching old people playing poorly same old songs over and over again.
So i just wanted to see what i might have "missed" at Gbry and from what i heard and saw, i can tell i am glad i didnt go there to see the stones, it seemed pretty lame. Just an opinion. They will still be making money and you thinking they are great and its really ok!

I am and have been very critical of the Stones (to summurize: I think they suck live since 1997), but I was really surprised of this Glasto gig. I think what made it standout was that for the first time in years they where out of their own turf, playing a different stage with a different sound system to a different crowd, and they just had to work really hard. Harder than they normally do. Jagger made mistakes we haven't heard from him since the '81 tour, and that was actually a charm: TD sounded more fresh than it has for the last 15 years.

Mathijs
Ps You can state that 2000 LY is a great song: I think it is in their top 20 of best songs.

I agree Mathijs. From the clips I saw it did like they were at least working hard. They were challenged and (for the most part) they delivered.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 2, 2013 07:36

stone13
Its so funny to read hard-die fans reviews when you are not longer one of them...you would think people change or at least, accept change.
Accept that just because the Stones change 3 to 4 miserable songs (you cannot say 2000 light years is a great song AT ALL, nor is factory girl: they might not be crappy songs but that doesnt make them remarkable good songs either) of a predictable-boring set list doesn't make it less boring.
Accepting that the only surprise left (and i am still surprised about that myself) about watching this guys play is that they still get on stage and play a song (the same songs they've been playing live over and over the last...40 years? -HTW,JJF,STF,SFD,YCAGWW,MR,BS, yes they have been played that long) you can actually recognize but hey, that doesnt mean they play it majestically or anything. Be a bit more objective.
Its funny to see how positive people are: "the best show i've seen" show after show. Delusion? i think so, otherwise you would feel a bit ripped off voluntarily after paying more than 100 euros when a cover band would be much more worth.
But if somebody says: "the music is the last thing i care about when i go to see the stones nowadays, i just want to see their faces regardless of what they do" that sounds less delusional to me than "it was a great concert, oh, now its glastonbury girl, oh, oh, and they also played 3 different songs than last time".
I dont go to listen to the stones although i once really liked them (and saw them quite a few times too, thanks god not too many). I prefer to keep the good memories. Id like being delusional but the more i appreciate music, the less appealing it gets to waste my money/energy just for the sake of watching old people playing poorly same old songs over and over again.
So i just wanted to see what i might have "missed" at Gbry and from what i heard and saw, i can tell i am glad i didnt go there to see the stones, it seemed pretty lame. Just an opinion. They will still be making money and you thinking they are great and its really ok!

To paraphrase Ed Harris to Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross: Why do you want to hang around her with bums like us, then.?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 2, 2013 08:35

Just watched the Footage for the first time. Wow, the sound mix was excellent here. 2000 LYFH was fuKcing cool. They should mix it up more like this...but they probably won't. I like Keith's Guitar Intro and what Chuck added to the song. I thought the band were communicating with each other in an interesting way on this show. That made it entertaining.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-02 08:39 by ryanpow.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 2, 2013 08:58

Does anyone think Out Of Control would have been killer to see in front of this crowd?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-02 08:59 by JohnnyBGoode.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 2, 2013 09:42

JohnnyBGoode
Does anyone think Out Of Control would have been killer to see in front of this crowd?!

I don't like it that much, so no.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 2, 2013 09:47

Mathijs
I think what made it standout was that for the first time in years they where out of their own turf, playing a different stage with a different sound system to a different crowd, and they just had to work really hard. Harder than they normally do. Jagger made mistakes we haven't heard from him since the '81 tour, and that was actually a charm: TD sounded more fresh than it has for the last 15 years.

A smaller stage set helped as well.

It increases the sense of unity and makes them look like a connected band.

I hate their large sets, I don't like that walkway around the pit much. Too much space for Mick to stride off into.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 2, 2013 10:09

JohnnyBGoode

YES!

JumpingKentFlash

Date: July 2, 2013 10:24

still ill
Here's Sympathy from at a guess, a third of the way back. So the guitars were turned up after allgrinning smiley

They were really loud on the BBC-stream I watched, epecially Keith.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: July 2, 2013 11:09

Shit was amazing. Beyond amazing.

They only went and bloody nailed it.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 2, 2013 11:30

DandelionPowderman
still ill

They were really loud on the BBC-stream I watched, epecially Keith.

Honestly to me the sound wasn't as alive, if you like as even the Primal Scream spot before them. Keith would be out front for an intro and then fade into the background and Ronnie seemed louder to me. The guitars when the chorus comes in on this vid are huge, i just didn't get that impression from the tv coverage. Maybe it was better in HD.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: July 2, 2013 11:39

Front centre of the pit the sound was perfect. They tore the entire field a new one.

In contrast, Primal Scream went bottom-up with barely a whimper.

Posted by: Medzvel ()
Date: July 2, 2013 12:27

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 2, 2013 13:47

I thought the BBC broadcast had a mix very similar to the New Jersey PPV .

The guitars lower than we'd like and a lot of low end.

I rather suspect that to some degree there's an attempt to sanitise that "glorious ball of noise" for a TV audience.

It's almost as though they think they should make it sound "nice"...completely missing the whole f$£%^&= point !

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 2, 2013 13:54

It seems that many people who've been watching the show on TV think it' not been so good:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

From what I've watched, I think it was really good, though.

Date: July 2, 2013 14:00

It's plausible to ask if the tv-viewers who weren't happy with the sound played it through a proper sound system?

I did, and the sound was excellent. A few times, though, the live mix had a few flaws. Like in the beginning of the choir on YCAGWYW, for instance, when all we heard was the male bass voices (and, boy, did one of them sing off key!) smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 32 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home