Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 37
Re: Glastonbury 29-June-2013 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: July 1, 2013 05:57

Beast
TheKamanick
Green Lady
JJF in full on BBC2 NOW!

- so hopefully it should show up on Youtube before long as Glastonbury Girl did.

For anyone who missed JJF, follow the link and click "Restart the current programme". It's just before the interview with Mumford and Sons.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

It's at 23:52.

You must be getting so stoked for Hyde Park smiling smiley

Wow - they really went all out and right away won over the crowd.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 1, 2013 06:37

Wow.

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: July 1, 2013 07:41

Beast
TheKamanick
Green Lady
JJF in full on BBC2 NOW!

- so hopefully it should show up on Youtube before long as Glastonbury Girl did.

For anyone who missed JJF, follow the link and click "Restart the current programme". It's just before the interview with Mumford and Sons.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Does anybody have a link to it now? The programme has ended so the link is not working anymore.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 1, 2013 09:18

stone13
Its so funny to read hard-die fans reviews when you are not longer one of them...you would think people change or at least, accept change.
Accept that just because the Stones change 3 to 4 miserable songs (you cannot say 2000 light years is a great song AT ALL, nor is factory girl: they might not be crappy songs but that doesnt make them remarkable good songs either) of a predictable-boring set list doesn't make it less boring.
Accepting that the only surprise left (and i am still surprised about that myself) about watching this guys play is that they still get on stage and play a song (the same songs they've been playing live over and over the last...40 years? -HTW,JJF,STF,SFD,YCAGWW,MR,BS, yes they have been played that long) you can actually recognize but hey, that doesnt mean they play it majestically or anything. Be a bit more objective.
Its funny to see how positive people are: "the best show i've seen" show after show. Delusion? i think so, otherwise you would feel a bit ripped off voluntarily after paying more than 100 euros when a cover band would be much more worth.
But if somebody says: "the music is the last thing i care about when i go to see the stones nowadays, i just want to see their faces regardless of what they do" that sounds less delusional to me than "it was a great concert, oh, now its glastonbury girl, oh, oh, and they also played 3 different songs than last time".
I dont go to listen to the stones although i once really liked them (and saw them quite a few times too, thanks god not too many). I prefer to keep the good memories. Id like being delusional but the more i appreciate music, the less appealing it gets to waste my money/energy just for the sake of watching old people playing poorly same old songs over and over again.
So i just wanted to see what i might have "missed" at Gbry and from what i heard and saw, i can tell i am glad i didnt go there to see the stones, it seemed pretty lame. Just an opinion. They will still be making money and you thinking they are great and its really ok!

I am and have been very critical of the Stones (to summurize: I think they suck live since 1997), but I was really surprised of this Glasto gig. I think what made it standout was that for the first time in years they where out of their own turf, playing a different stage with a different sound system to a different crowd, and they just had to work really hard. Harder than they normally do. Jagger made mistakes we haven't heard from him since the '81 tour, and that was actually a charm: TD sounded more fresh than it has for the last 15 years.

Mathijs
Ps You can state that 2000 LY is a great song: I think it is in their top 20 of best songs.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 1, 2013 09:21

TheKamanick
Puts any US show to shame.

Boring crowd equals boring show. Tonight was the best show they've done on this tour.

you are an idiot-its almost the exact same show they've been doing for the last two months.we've been telling you guys all along how good they are playing and all we got back was crying about setlists and ticket prices.

if you think the stones suddenly started playing really well this week because they are in front of a big crowd in the middle of a cornfield in england you are kidding yourselves.they've been kicking ass this entire tour,hyde park will be just as good as this show-or better.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 1, 2013 09:36

The Stones are best in a stadium. It was enjoyable seeing them in the US in what I'd call small venues but their place like the current McCartney band is playing for 100,000's of people. This Glastonbury performance lit up their faces, finally a crowd as big as their egos, I mean that in a good way.... This magical night should slow the talk of how Keith and Mick are just business partners, Keith has come through and has risen to the occasion no doubt Mick inspired and pushed him to get there. That my lovelies is one of the many miracles Stones fans have been treated to this year.

Date: July 1, 2013 09:40

DoomandGloom
The Stones are best in a stadium. It was enjoyable seeing them in the US in what I'd call small venues but their place like the current McCartney band is playing for 100,000's of people. This Glastonbury performance lit up their faces, finally a crowd as big as their egos, I mean that in a good way.... This magical night should slow the talk of how Keith and Mick are just business partners, Keith has come through and has risen to the occasion no doubt Mick inspired and pushed him to get there. That my lovelies is one of the many miracles Stones fans have been treated to this year.

Hear, hear! thumbs up

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 1, 2013 09:59

stone13
Its so funny to read hard-die fans reviews when you are not longer one of them...you would think people change or at least, accept change.
Accept that just because the Stones change 3 to 4 miserable songs (you cannot say 2000 light years is a great song AT ALL, nor is factory girl: they might not be crappy songs but that doesnt make them remarkable good songs either) of a predictable-boring set list doesn't make it less boring.
Accepting that the only surprise left (and i am still surprised about that myself) about watching this guys play is that they still get on stage and play a song (the same songs they've been playing live over and over the last...40 years? -HTW,JJF,STF,SFD,YCAGWW,MR,BS, yes they have been played that long) you can actually recognize but hey, that doesnt mean they play it majestically or anything. Be a bit more objective.
Its funny to see how positive people are: "the best show i've seen" show after show. Delusion? i think so, otherwise you would feel a bit ripped off voluntarily after paying more than 100 euros when a cover band would be much more worth.
But if somebody says: "the music is the last thing i care about when i go to see the stones nowadays, i just want to see their faces regardless of what they do" that sounds less delusional to me than "it was a great concert, oh, now its glastonbury girl, oh, oh, and they also played 3 different songs than last time".
I dont go to listen to the stones although i once really liked them (and saw them quite a few times too, thanks god not too many). I prefer to keep the good memories. Id like being delusional but the more i appreciate music, the less appealing it gets to waste my money/energy just for the sake of watching old people playing poorly same old songs over and over again.
So i just wanted to see what i might have "missed" at Gbry and from what i heard and saw, i can tell i am glad i didnt go there to see the stones, it seemed pretty lame. Just an opinion. They will still be making money and you thinking they are great and its really ok!

I bet you're a barrel of laughs. Must be fun having a drink and chat to you. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 1, 2013 10:08

the stones are best in a stadium?? uh,...no. the stones are best in a club.after that a theater,then an arena.last on the list is a stadium.

i know this show was important to everyone and they did a good job with the pr getting the fans pumped up and excited.
they did the same thing in rio a few years ago, a show that was 5 times the size glastonbury.
but the fact is they dont like playing outdoors and it was just another gig to them-play gig,collect check,move on.just so happens they are playing really well right now,probably because there are so few shows they can really focus on each one.

i remember before mick started saying all the right things in interviews lisa robinson asked him about yelling out the name of the town he was in,like"alright cleveland!!!" and he said "yeah,they are all so proud of their grotty old towns"

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 1, 2013 11:13

More Keith and Ronnie posing undoubtedly... We are on TV you know... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: July 1, 2013 11:47

Whatever the case may be, this is the best gig they have done since they got back together in 2012 and 2013.

Posted by: atsu69 ()
Date: July 1, 2013 12:49

special thanks to simonlofc at HC

...sorry, deleted by youtube in a few minutes sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-01 14:09 by atsu69.

Date: July 1, 2013 12:56

thumbs up

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 1, 2013 12:58

sarahunwin
Beast
TheKamanick
Green Lady
JJF in full on BBC2 NOW!

[www.bbc.co.uk]

You must be getting so stoked for Hyde Park smiling smiley

I am I am I AM!!

Date: July 1, 2013 13:03

A bit of CYHMK in the background here:

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: July 1, 2013 13:24

DandelionPowderman
A bit of CYHMK in the background here:

What a teaser! Can't wait for the full vid to show up.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 1, 2013 13:58

bv
Was the broadcast great? Did they pass the test from the BBC point of view? Can we be proud of our band?

In a word: yes.

We can nitpick, and we shall, but the show was most definitely a success.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-01 13:59 by andrewt.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 1, 2013 14:11

TO STONE 13:

You sound like a desparate "troll" (i don't know whether you really are and i don't give a sit about) who does feel very unhappy just because so many people are feeling happy with the Stones performance at Glasto or with the level of their current performances, overall. You have the right to express any opinion, of course. But, please, stop this stupid game with the word "objective"... What the hell do you mean? That is "fanatic" everyone who rates differently songs like "2000 LYFH" and "Factory Girl", who don't share your aversion to the Stones or who just appreciates (atleast partly) the fact that the setlists have more variety compared with the lists from the so called "glory years"? (Just see how many different songs did they play on every tour during 70s and on 1981-82).

Is that for you the defination of the meanings "objective" and "tendentious"? Gimme a break... If you really are a "troll", just try to be a convincing one. Your obvious nastiness doesn't allow you to be a good actor.

TO MATHIJS:

If i remember correctly, you have expessed a very possitive opinion about O2 arena gig. I'm a new guy on the board but, seeing IORR's pages for older tours, i have read a very enthousiastic review of yours as for a theatre show in 2003 (Olympia, maybe??). It's not big deal, i'm just a bit curious, because valuetions like these are not easily reconciled with the beliefe that "they suck live since 1997". I suppose you have different measures for "before 1997 era" and "since 1997 era", but even so the word "suck" and your (mentioned above) valuations sound a bit ill- assorted.

TO DOOM AND GLOOM:

Man, i'm with you! I prefer the Stones to perform in big venues. Stadiums, venues like Horsens, Parks like Hyde Park and Letna Park , etc. To me, it's not about where the band can play better- they can perform at high level everywhere. To me it's about the atmosphere. Bigger venues mean lower prices and, as my experience from previous tour says, much more young and enthousiastic people in the crowd.

I fully understand all these fans who want to see the Stones in more "intimate" venues, even i don't share this yearning. But i think we could have some gigs in big european venues, between the arena concerts. And, don't forget about another factor: More big venues could mean less gigs, so more and bigger breaks between the shows. At their age, this factor is very important. Any way, we could discuss this on another topic.

Posted by: stonesmog ()
Date: July 1, 2013 14:11

We can be very proud indeed.They were wonderful. I must admit when the broadcast started with "Miss You" my heart sank a little bit but I ended up loving it.
There were a couple of heart in mouth moments particularly at the start of "2000 Light Years" when Mick seemed offkey & again when you could hear him frantically trying to get Ronnie's attention later in the song. Not sure what that was about. It was strange to see Mick a bit vulnerable for a change.
Brilliant show.
Thanks to all there who shared pics.
So looking forward to Hyde Park.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: July 1, 2013 14:27

A great performance... the best version of Satisfaction I can remember seeing for some time.
This bands music is all about energy and passion, less (to a degree) about musicianship.

Having a younger enthusiastic audience was a catalyst for this I feel - you could see the band feeding off the energy. It's shame most of that demographic has been priced out...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 1, 2013 14:34

Bummer. BBC have taken their videos off YouTube. Guess they would. sad smiley

Date: July 1, 2013 15:41

Hello
For those who were able to recover the video before it was deleted on youtube, I have made a jacket that I put at your disposal

Date: July 1, 2013 15:49

thumbs up

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 1, 2013 15:53

crawdaddy

JJF is still available here, for a limited time only.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 1, 2013 16:01

Apparently this YouTube user hasn't yet received the memo, so we can enjoy it while it lasts....

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 1, 2013 16:04

Thanks, stonehearted, I thought I had missed seeing it. Amazing...they had the crowd from the first moment!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 1, 2013 16:05

Thanks, 360p only though, anyone got the 720p? Thanks!

crawdaddy

DVD available as a direct download on Mega in the "50th Archive" -> [www.iorr.org] ;-)

As for Arenas vs Stadiums...clearly they were thrilled to be in front of a huge audience, money doesn't really matter for them anymore (as long as the net doesn't go down) so they need new "challenges", stadiums could do that after 23 arena shows.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 1, 2013 16:19

Hotstuff
Killer Brown sugar!!

Yes, it was. As good as they can play it. Just perfect. And I loved the Ronnie Wood fills - he did a great job. Either he hasn't played like that before, or he's been so low in the mix I couldn't hear him. Just a wonderful performance from the guitar section.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 1, 2013 16:24

They are a rather remarkable group of people really.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: July 1, 2013 16:53

DoomandGloom

Could not agree less. I have seen my share of Stadium and Arena shows and IMHO the Stadium shows are cold and impersonal with generic setlists filled with more old warhorses then usual. The band is a mile away from the audience and cannot interact well with them like they can in a smaller venue.

I have never been lucky enough to have seen a club or theater show but based on the videos I have seen they seem to have the most atmosphere and the band seems to get into them more.

And between the Stadium or Arena shows I have been to I will take an Arena show any day.

That is not to say Stadium or Festival performances can be excellent, as Glastonbry seems to have been but in general can't see Stadiums shows being as intimate as smaller venues.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-01 21:40 by oldschool.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home