Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 37
Re: Glastonbury 29-June-2013 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 30, 2013 19:16

Mathijs
I thought they played fantastic, I really liked it. They played faster, with more energy and concentration than they have done in the last 10 years. Great 2000 LY! I thought Wood was fantastic as well -his short solo during Rambler was the best bit of the show. On Rambler: I don't mind if Taylor stays at home for the rest of this and next year. He didn't bring anything at all to Rambler.

Mathijs

Neither did you.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 30, 2013 19:48

[youtu.be]

Great little review, and parts of JJF and PIB.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: maxx ()
Date: June 30, 2013 20:20

Very enthusiastic reporter from the Telegraph grinning smiley

Snap Kent

Didnt see your post ... too many windows open spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-30 20:23 by maxx.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 30, 2013 20:27

andrewt
rollingon
DoughboyUK
Deathgod

2000 Light Years !!!!

Its THAT good! Its getting me emotional watching it.
Who cares about the few first off key words. Its the best new goddam song on the tour yet and wont be beaten. Awesome.
As Bill says "I love that song"

Dough

Mick has had several these off key problems during this tour, I wonder if this is some technical or monitoring thing or an age thing?

Did he have these issues on previous tours? I remember he used to be quite reliable as a singer.

Not that this was any huge problem for me for this song but I just wonder...

The phrasing, more importantly, is way off as well, and there's something missing in the beat that I can't put my finger on.
I was stoked when I saw this pop up on the setlist report but after listening to it I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about it.

For one thing the 'Rolling Stones' bass is supposed to drive the sound and add emotional notes, not sit back and meekly fill the space where the bottom is supposed to be. Bill gets his revenge!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 30, 2013 20:53

Bbc 2 now, glastonbury girl.

Date: June 30, 2013 20:53

Stones on BBC righ now Factory Girl

Date: June 30, 2013 20:55

Link

JumpingKentFlash

Re: Rolling Stones Go Out In A Blaze Of Glory!
Date: June 30, 2013 21:01

odean73
odean73
JumpingKentFlash
They really have to up their ante if the Hyde Park gigs are going to be anywhere near tonight's performance.

Why?

I have to apologise about that comment, the truth is I cant even remember posting that comment.

No drinking for me next weekend, I thinks.

Don't worry mate. We've all been there.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 30, 2013 21:03

Thanks a lot!

Date: June 30, 2013 21:05

Was on my TV very end of this afternoons Glastonbury programme ,just looked on the i player but its not listed, maybe they will put it up later.

Kenny Rodgers was on before it so maybe it will still be there when they put his set up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-30 21:21 by maxx.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 30, 2013 21:05

Mathijs
I thought they played fantastic, I really liked it. They played faster, with more energy and concentration than they have done in the last 10 years. Great 2000 LY! I thought Wood was fantastic as well -his short solo during Rambler was the best bit of the show. On Rambler: I don't mind if Taylor stays at home for the rest of this and next year. He didn't bring anything at all to Rambler.

Mathijs

Ronnie's MR solos are a nice bit of showy, but flash crap guitar playing effective because of its brevity, but effective nonetheless. Keep it short. Anything else is a strain. The band for decades plays down to his abilities and to the audience. It has no where else to go. Taylor throws the whole thing off. MR is not a song that needs Taylor, but there are a dozen or more that do.

Re: Tonight's Set List
Date: June 30, 2013 21:07

Marhsall
Glad to see 'Factory Girl'

I went to Chicago 2 and I thought that the whole show rocked.

Highlights were G.S.,Can't You Hear Me Knocking & Rambler.

Rambler blew me away!

Question for you Kent, hoping you know.

I have an IPad & I'm looking to download the show but some things I can't access with the iPad like flash player etc..don't have any burning capabilities but I would LOVE to have this with my boot collection.

Any good links you know or do you know someone I can trust to trade with?

Hey Marshall. Well it's been a long time since I traded DVDs. I know that there's nothing wrong with making inquiries about the person you're buying from. Ask around.

Flash is, stupid as it may seem, a no go on iPads. For it to work, you need to have it jailbroken. If it's possible to download the show on your iPad, please let me know as well. I'd love it.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 30, 2013 21:16

Bloody fantastic show (I so wish I could have been theresad smiley). Sounds like the Stones are bringing thier "A" game to England.The Stones are on fire, I would love to see the Stones concert at Hyde Park top this...Bringin' it home full circle!

Re: Tonight's Set List
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 30, 2013 21:24

Marhsall
I actually don't know if Bill suggested it.

But it's still a Jagger/Richards composition

But I still don't think it matters, that would be like if Woody left and they did
'Thief in the Night' cause he got them to play it over 10 years ago.

I think Bill being pissed is very minor compared to what is up w/ Mick/Keith their meeting & the book apology & reading rumors that Mick didn't think Keith could cut it anymore.

I heard someone say that Taylor was there not just in guest form capacity but to be on hand should something happen w/ Keith...Idk honestly...Keefs playing great and seems to be healthy. But what the status is w/ the Glimmer Twins is beyond me

Don't think I'd heard that before but it's certainly the only way they could "justify" finishing the tour should something happen to Keith (or Ronnie)...doesn't look like there's anything to worry about at this time fortunately!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 30, 2013 21:37

BowieStone
Bbc 2 now, glastonbury girl.

Trust me to be taping the wrong side whilst I was out.

Luckily I was at the in laws house, when it came on.thumbs up

Date: June 30, 2013 21:55

In the Sunday times stating they was paid around £400,000.

Also expect a DVD of Glastonbury and the Hyde park gigs.

Date: June 30, 2013 22:07

odean73

Now thats exactly what I want my licence money spent on ...

Take heed BBC more please.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 30, 2013 22:18

odean73

The Stones got paid £400,000? That would seem unlikely to me as all the big names, like Coldplay and Springsteen, get around £ 1.5 million to headline any of the large European festivals.

Mathijs

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 30, 2013 22:19

Looks like the Stones hit this one out of the ball park.
And even better news. It looks like Keith and Mick got along
Great. Everyone looked happy. Wow. What a party. .

Thanks for sharing the excitement!

Date: June 30, 2013 22:23

Mathijs
odean73

The Stones got paid £400,000? That would seem unlikely to me as all the big names, like Coldplay and Springsteen, get around £ 1.5 million to headline any of the large European festivals.

Mathijs

This is Glastonbury thou.

I am only quoting from the paper.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: June 30, 2013 22:39

Comparing a festival crowd to an arena crowd isn't an accurate comparison. That said, I attended Newark 1 and Philly 1 and encountered outstandingly enthusiastic crowds both nights.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 30, 2013 22:49

Mathijs

Mathijs

Glastonbury doesn't pay those sort of fees to anyone

Posted by: FatSteve ()
Date: June 30, 2013 22:54

AC/DC got paid £5 Million (Could be Dollars but still) to do Download a couple of years back. And they wouldn't even let the organisers put their name on any of the festival T-Shirts, just sold their own merchandise.

The BBC recording of Glasto is so pants compared to how it was, just sounds flat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-30 22:55 by FatSteve.

Posted by: Sister Marie ()
Date: June 30, 2013 23:02

Sorry if this was already posted, but what do you think about this L'Wren's twit?

L'Wren Scott
#glasto @rollingstones loving the festival already planning next year [instagram.com]

NEXT YEAR @ GLASTO???
Mick said to the crowk "come again" smiling smiley

Date: June 30, 2013 23:26

Sister Marie
Sorry if this was already posted, but what do you think about this L'Wren's twit?

L'Wren Scott
#glasto @rollingstones loving the festival already planning next year [instagram.com]

NEXT YEAR @ GLASTO???
Mick said to the crowk "come again" smiling smiley

Was thinking of going, if this was true, bloody fantastic.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 30, 2013 23:42

From "Guardian":

"After 51 years of the Rolling Stones, 43 years of Glastonbury, and decades of will-they, won't they gossiping, in the end it was worth the wait: Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie et al were the festival's best ever headliners, according to Michael Eavis.

Eavis, who hosts the musical extravaganza on his farm in rural Somerset, said the two-hour performance – complete with fireworks and a flaming phoenix perched high on the Pyramid stage – was "absolutely brilliant".

He had tried to secure the band, still celebrating their 50th anniversary, for years and said he was not sure how next year's headliners, who have already been booked, would live up to the Stones.

"It was 43 years in the making, 50 years for them, and we've finally come together. We're on the same page at last," Eavis said, on the third day of music at the festival.

The 77-year-old, who organises the event with his daughter Emily, said: "It's the whole razzmatazz of the occasion - the two of us finally getting together at long last. I had to prove myself to them. We were a bunch of hippies; it's hardly a Rolling Stones set up, is it?."

The capacity of the Pyramid area was expanded for the first time for the Stones, meaning a festival record of 100,000 saw Sir Mick Jagger strutting his stuff. He led the band through their classics, starting with an energetic Jumpin' Jack Flash and ending with a soulful You Can't Always Get What You Want, before the crowd-pleasing Satisfaction.

Jagger was said to have been concerned about sound quality ahead of the gig, but his fears were unfounded.

"Musically, they were absolutely brilliant," said Eavis, who claimed the band were number one in his top 10 of headliners, above Radiohead, U2 and Oasis.

"Mick Jagger's energy leading that band with such a passion and so much style; he was absolutely amazing. I've never seen anything like it. It's quite remarkable to think he can go like that, at his age.

"I'm a bit older and I couldn't keep going. His legs and his arms and his movement – he was going for it like his life depended on it."

The mechanical phoenix created by Joe Rush, which came to life during Sympathy For The Devil, was a labour of love and had health and safety officials fretting, Eavis said. He laughingly claimed the ornate moving sculpture cost almost the same as the Stones' fee for their set.

Bands have already been booked for next year's key Pyramid stage headline slots. Asked if there were any veteran rockers on a par with the Stones, Eavis smiled and said: "Ever so slightly, yeah."

He joked that there were now very few acts left on his wish list, and pondering how many more festivals he will organise, said: "Another 10, do you think?".

While Eavis said he had been known to say it before, 2013 was the best year yet. "It's actually true," the farmer said. "It really is the best festival I've ever done, without a shadow of a doubt."

He said the ticket holders, of which there were 135,000 this year, were what kept him going.

A BBC Two spokesman said its coverage of The Rolling Stones peaked at 2.5 million viewers, compared with the peak of 2.2 million for Coldplay who headlined in the Saturday slot at the last Glastonbury festival in 2011.

Other highlights of the weekend included Friday night's headline set from the Arctic Monkeys, Portishead on the Other Stage and an early morning performance from Liam Gallagher's band Beady Eye.

Eavis said he had particularly enjoyed Elvis Costello's Saturday afternoon gig, and taking part in a karaoke session on Saturday afternoon. "It fills me with so much confidence because people love it so much," he said. "The people are so thrilled to be here. So that's my energy, really."

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 30, 2013 23:50

I have been "out" for two days and see this thread has got 837 posts and almost 100,000 views. Is there a short version? Did miss something? Also I noticed right now there are something like 10 different Glastonbury threads on the first page of the IORR forum. Please give me the headline before I dive into the 10 threads and the 837 posts. Was the broadcast great? Did they pass the test from the BBC point of view? Can we be proud of our band? Certainly I am proud, but you do know me...

Bjornulf

Date: June 30, 2013 23:56

DoomandGloom
andrewt
Miss You and TD still the weak links I
Exactly

I didn't get that from MY last night. Thought it was actually pretty good. And it was a no=brainer for the crowd to sing.
But I agree very much with TD. A big surprise to me how weak it sounded. And that one has never been a problem live. TD and HTW are typical Keith tempos. They must be played at medium tempo; that is what they ride on. So to place TD in the very end section when they are racing towards the finish-line really hurts the song IMO. It was always perfect up there in slot 4 or 5.
I thought Jagger was phenomenal but to me he was looking winded. maybe too much adrenaline. I could really see it on "Start me Up"

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 30, 2013 23:58

bv
I have been "out" for two days and see this thread has got 837 posts and almost 100,000 views. Is there a short version? Did miss something? Also I noticed right now there are something like 10 different Glastonbury threads on the first page of the IORR forum. Please give me the headline before I dive into the 10 threads and the 837 posts. Was the broadcast great? Did they pass the test from the BBC point of view? Can we be proud of our band? Certainly I am proud, but you do know me...

Yes, yes, and yes! Most everyone is ecstatic with the band's performance.

You do have your work cut out for you with all the Glasto threads bv...have fun! smiling smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 1, 2013 00:01

bv

From every account and review I have read it was as you predicted 2 days ago. Everyone from the young 1st time viewers to the old longterm fans to the professional newpaper/TV reviewers thought it was a smashing succcess. It seems people who saw it live loved it and people who watched the BBC feed thought it was amazing. (Most) People loved 2000 LYFH AND them starting with JJF AND the Glastonbury Girl version of FG AND the entire show. Of course the nitpickers nit pick detail, but most normal people loved it.

It appears the Glastonbury performance has only stoked the fire, and made people going to Hyde park even more excited to see the greatest rock and roll band in the Universe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-01 00:07 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1288
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home