Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Why don't they play Plundered My Soul?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 13, 2013 05:12

Just a load of non descript, meaningless guitar fills that wouldn't have received much if any focus had Taylor's involvement not been mentioned.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 13, 2013 05:31

His Majesty
Just a load of non descript, meaningless guitar fills that wouldn't have received much if any focus had Taylor's involvement not been mentioned.

Totally agree. It's just a throw way tune. That should of never been brought back.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 13, 2013 05:39

More Hot Rocks
His Majesty

Totally agree. It's just a throw way tune. That should of never been brought back.

Absolute rubbish. This is in fact, the only "new" song they have released that has moved me in 30 years. And not just because of Taylor. It has that Stones magic in it, which is completely lacking in anything from Voodoo on (at least), and the only really special "extra" on the Exile reissue.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 13, 2013 06:41

Keith and Woody sold their souls to Freddie Sessler in 1973, they no longer own the rights

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 13, 2013 10:26

It is one of those tracks where every little nuance is perfect - a feature The Stones once upon time ago were masters, but lost that during the 80's. The groove of the backing track is simply magical, and the whole thing - especially two Micks - is done by a perfect taste. Personally for me the most important track since TATTOO YOU days. It made - and makes - me realize why I like this band so much. After all those yougotmerockins and ohnonotyouagains.

- Doxa

Date: August 13, 2013 10:52

71Tele
More Hot Rocks
His Majesty

Absolute rubbish. This is in fact, the only "new" song they have released that has moved me in 30 years. And not just because of Taylor. It has that Stones magic in it, which is completely lacking in anything from Voodoo on (at least), and the only really special "extra" on the Exile reissue.

I would take How Can I Stop over this one ANY day.

PMS is not horrible, but it's ordinary. It has the same groove as Tumbling Dice, and that's about it, imo. Taylor's guitar doesn't move me, nor does Mick's singing.

The best thing about the tune is Bill's bass playing actually. THAT is great.

Date: August 13, 2013 10:54

Doxa
It is one of those tracks where every little nuance is perfect - a feature The Stones once upon time ago were masters, but lost that during the 80's. The groove of the backing track is simply magical, and the whole thing - especially two Micks - is done by a perfect taste. Personally for me the most important track since TATTOO YOU days. It made - and makes - me realize why I like this band so much. After all those yougotmerockins and ohnonotyouagains.

- Doxa

AND Continentaldrifts, Howcanistops and laughinearlydieds...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 13, 2013 11:05

Doxa

- Doxa

Spot on. But they cannot play it live. It's almost like a second cousin too Worried bout you in that sense ( great live version at the Mocambo). Production is the key.

Date: August 13, 2013 11:27

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

AND Continentaldrifts, Howcanistops and laughinearlydieds...

Those mentioned tracks are great (and exceptional), mainly because they are out of their comfort zone, and relying on their natural instincts in their musical adventures. But what is strong in "Plundered My Soul" that it so typical Stones one can imagine and still sound fresh and extraordinary. It tells what actually is great and unique in this band's music. The band doesn't sound like copying its trademarks, or giving cover band like micky mouse versions of their traditional sound, but actually produces that by an inspiration, and sounds original. It simply shows that albums like VOODOO LOUNGE or A BIGGER BANG are nothing but artistic pastishes, with no real value. Maybe those albums have a function in giving easy lectures of Stones music for dummies, but the real thing - why this band actually is so phenomenal, almost magical - is not to be found there. It was actually that message what "Plundered My Soul" taught me.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-13 11:33 by Doxa.

Date: August 13, 2013 11:34

PMS is deeply within their comfort zone - why is it fresh-sounding? I can't hear that. I hear strumming, over-trying vocals from Jagger, ordinary guitar and great bass playing.

The verse is a little too much of a Tumbling Dice-groove for me. The bridge is mannered and contriving, imo.

I actually prefer Let Me Down Slow over this - it's a comparable track: a mid-tempo, melodic standard.

Date: August 13, 2013 11:42

You can keep your "Let Me Down Slow", I'll keep "Plundered", and let us all be happy. If you don't hear what is extraordinary in that track, you don't. You can analysize the thing to pieces and rationalize its weaknesses (like any Stones track), but it is all just trees, not the forest... Yeah, it is a cousin to "Tumblin' Dice", but after hearing million pastishes of brownsugars, jumpingjackflashes, startmeups etc, I can easily live with "two" Dices...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-13 11:44 by Doxa.

Date: August 13, 2013 11:50

Doxa
You can keep your "Let Me Down Slow", I'll keep "Plundered", and let us all be happy. If you don't hear what is extraordinary in that track, you don't. You can analysize the thing to pieces and rationalize its weaknesses (like any Stones track), but it is all just trees, not the forest... Yeah, it is a cousin to "Tumblin' Dice", but after hearing million pastishes of brownsugars, jumpingjackflashes, startmeups etc, I can easily live with "two" Dices...

- Doxa

Fair enough. But I only asked you what's so special with, as I can't hear it..

Date: August 13, 2013 12:33

I can't describe that, Dandie... goes beyond words..grinning smiley

I guess it something to do with feel.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-13 12:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 13, 2013 13:01

71Tele

Absolute rubbish.

That's a bit harsh, it's not that bad. grinning smiley

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: August 13, 2013 21:15

PMS IS AWESOME!

love it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 14, 2013 02:10

What works about Plundered is it's swampy, it lumbers. It helps that it's from 1971 (for the bottoms anyway). It sounds like the STOOOOONNNNNNEESSSSS man. To me it sounds nothing like Tumbling Dice although it has a similar stance to TD in the way that it sounds like it might just fall apart and stop. I like Bobby's low honking sax that follows the riffage.

Of course MT's playing is what really makes it work.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 14, 2013 03:21

Great lyrics. Great singing. It almost made me cry the first time I heard it because Bill's bass playing was so good.

Date: August 14, 2013 05:58

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
More Hot Rocks
His Majesty

I would take How Can I Stop over this one ANY day.

PMS is not horrible, but it's ordinary. It has the same groove as Tumbling Dice, and that's about it, imo. Taylor's guitar doesn't move me, nor does Mick's singing.

The best thing about the tune is Bill's bass playing actually. THAT is great.

The more songs with the groove of Tumbling Dice, the better. Better that any day than all the forced rock songs like You Got Me Rocking, Rock and a Hard Place, etc.

Date: August 14, 2013 06:17

good song, no stones classic though

hardly worth arguing over

but its the stones, so their good songs are better than other bands classics

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 14, 2013 06:29

71Tele
More Hot Rocks
His Majesty

thumbs up

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: August 14, 2013 07:04

Indeed absolute Stones magic in it, which we havent had for ages. But a live version may not work, for a big audience.
Maybe in a smal club it would work out, but in a big area, the song will be blown away, I guess.

Date: August 14, 2013 07:40

rollingrichard
Indeed absolute Stones magic in it, which we havent had for ages. But a live version may not work, for a big audience.
Maybe in a smal club it would work out, but in a big area, the song will be blown away, I guess.

You're right. Perfect club song. IF they had gone out and performed Exile as a complete album in a club (ok, personal fantasy of mine), it would have been an ideal encore.

Date: August 14, 2013 07:40

This song isn't good enough to deserve this level of scrutiny. Also, what's all this talk regarding the bass playing? There are plenty of examples of why Bill was great but this ain't one of 'em--the part is minimalist and that's fine but it's not exactly one of Bill's best. The solos are, indeed, nondescript and wouldn't mean anything to anyone if Taylor's involvement wasn't known. Mick's singing is TERRIBLE on the thing, too--I'm not sure what there is to get excited about hearing Mick singing his Bigger Bang-style, overly enunciated vocals over a track that was left off Exile for a reason. It's pretty boring, guys and gals. Sorry, but I'll take "Doom And Gloom" and "Love Is Strong" over these two in a heartbeat. Those two are the only great singles they've released since "One Hit" and are way more interesting in every way. The song's not bad, it's just not good.

Date: August 14, 2013 07:52

CanYouHearTheMusic
This song isn't good enough to deserve this level of scrutiny. Also, what's all this talk regarding the bass playing? There are plenty of examples of why Bill was great but this ain't one of 'em--the part is minimalist and that's fine but it's not exactly one of Bill's best. The solos are, indeed, nondescript and wouldn't mean anything to anyone if Taylor's involvement wasn't known. Mick's singing is TERRIBLE on the thing, too--I'm not sure what there is to get excited about hearing Mick singing his Bigger Bang-style, overly enunciated vocals over a track that was left off Exile for a reason. It's pretty boring, guys and gals. Sorry, but I'll take "Doom And Gloom" and "Love Is Strong" over these two in a heartbeat. Those two are the only great singles they've released since "One Hit" and are way more interesting in every way. The song's not bad, it's just not good.

Will you take them, really? Good. I certainly don't want them.

Date: August 14, 2013 08:22

CanYouHearTheMusic

About the bass, that's the genius part...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 14, 2013 09:31

Well, if 'Had It With You', an absolute throwaway, can get five pages, then Plundered My Soul should get 100 pages. Now we're back to 'over-enunciation' and criticism of Mick's singing that I don't even hear. (Lucky me, I just get to enjoy it.) Bill's bass absolutely enfolds the song. Everything else in the song bounces off that rubbery bass. I hope there's more in the vault.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 14, 2013 09:38

Doxa

- Doxa

Agree 100%. Listening to it reminds me why I love the Stones so much.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 14, 2013 18:11

Played it once. That was enough. Terrible song.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 14, 2013 18:20

As the first Stones song in years to grab my ears I still listen to it often. Sure there have been songs from the last 3 albums that are ear grabbers but they don't grab at the level that this tune does or No Spare Parts did. Nothing from the last 3 albums has that feel or sound.

Obviously has a little to do with the Wyman factor.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 14, 2013 18:40

RockinJive
Played it once. That was enough. Terrible song.

When you listen to it on this vid you'll certainly gonna like it.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1703
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home