Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hot Stuff - Palais Royale 2002
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 31, 2005 12:45

Now THIS is the kind of music I would like to hear in the Stones 2005 new disk.

Ok it was not perfect. Guitars took a while to take off (namely Keith, Woody naild it from the beginning). BUT the jazzy arrangements of the brass section are ABSOLUTELY superb, the bu vocals, the groove. I also think that this is the kind of music that allows Darryl Jones to really shine. Mick of course loves it and you can hear it!

C

Re: Hot Stuff - Palais Royale 2002
Date: March 31, 2005 12:48

If they are playing Hot Stuff they must include the whole song (the verses), not "Hot Stuff" only. More guitars, less horns please!

Date: March 31, 2005 13:27

My point was that this is exactly the sound I like: and the horns are an integral and vital part of it!

C

ps the verses. Why do they have to do them?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 31, 2005 15:20

I loved the horn-driven version they did at the opening VL in Washington DC in 1994 - unfortunately they dropped the song soon after. Much preferred it to the studio version

Date: March 31, 2005 15:27

I love the horns as well. But when the guitars totally disappear and most of the song (the words) is skipped, they have driven it too far IMHO.

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: April 1, 2005 08:27

To keep it interesting on stage Jagger has to relearn all of the lyrics. Otherwise cut the mother down to two minutes and move on.

Six minutes of "hot stuff" being sung and sung again can bore even the hardiest of Stones fans.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 1, 2005 17:16

To me this song should never be played again unless it is guitar driven like its supposed to be. Don't get me wrong I love Hot Stuff but when all you hear is horns and no guitars than its not the Stones anymore. I loved how they played it in the 70's.

The same could be said about how they play Bitch live these days, awful.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 1, 2005 18:43

Hot stuff was always over rated in my opinion.

Out of the Black and Blue funky numbers, I think Hey Negrita is a far better song which they should play live nowadays. SInce Ron effectively wrote it, he shouldn't play too badly on it either!

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 1, 2005 18:58

i love it...ha... i do think it goes on too long..and i would love to see more guitars.. be great live if shorter....

Date: April 2, 2005 17:01

Hot Stuff - Palais Royale : Which one of the versions are we discussing ? I think that THE version of this is during the few moments when they're rehearsing Hot Stuff. That really shows how this could turn into something great on stage. The horns must be there. Gives it all a more jazzy feeling. And I really wouldn't mind. At all. - It's one those songs that I didn't like much when it was released, but now I really would like them to play it again.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 3, 2005 13:40

Yes this one just gets better and better. same goes for "Dance". Never was one of my faves. recall that Keith really loved it and could never see it. Now I see it.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: April 3, 2005 13:51

The 1976 version are good (esp. Paris shows). All other liver versions look very pale compared to those. They need the horns to cover up the lack of good guitar playing on this one.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 3, 2005 13:58

I recall a Keith interview where he said that he really wanted Dance to be released as an instrumental track. Claimed he had massive verbal battles with Mick but Micky boy won out in the end.

A 4.40 instrumental version can be found on the 12" US promo version.

If I Was A Dancer DMD 253 Atlantic

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Jason P. ()
Date: April 4, 2005 02:05

Any Stones song these days will bore any longtime fan to drink, the way they
play some of the best songs ever written, live with click-tracks and the big
band.

The horns an "integral part" to the Rolling Stones' sound/music/songs?
Hmmm, did Hot Stuff on Black n' Blue or the 1976 European tour have horns?

How far down the garden path everyone has been led. Too bad.
Guitar rock is what the Rolling Stones were all about.
They've been touring without a guitarist since 1976.

The Rolling Stones are the greatest band to come out of the 1960s,
and if you like how they've sounded the past two decades on stage, playing "live"
inotherwords, then that's great for you. Please enjoy them.

Keith Richards was an incredible guitarist on-stage when
he played with abandon, burning up the frets, like he did thru the 1976 European tour.

Something changed in Keith's playing after that. I can only presume the 1977 Canadian Bust struck a chord, so to speak.

Date: April 4, 2005 12:00

There is one point I don't get, and that is why every time a song is re-arranged to include brasses, that is because the stones can't play a decent guitar part any more.

Was that also true when they cut BSugar? Couldn't Taylor play a decent solo on that one? Can't it be that very simply they WANT brasses?

C

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home