Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 58
Re: Rumoured Rolling Stones shows 2013-2014
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 29, 2013 11:13

Well, we know the title now: the To Hell With The Legacy Tour.

I'm with you on this, Aquamarine - life is for living and the legacy will take care of itself. I don't believe anything they do now (short of Mick revealing that he's been a double agent for the FBI all these years) could damage it much.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 29, 2013 11:43

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
I sure hope they call it quits after Hyde Park on the 13th. They have already damaged their legacy enough by carrying on past the Licks tour ten years ago. They would have been much better off to have just retired from touring then and spent the last ten years in the recording studio.

They certainly should have put more effort on recording and songwriting in recent 10 years but I still think it's great they also tour actively. In recording they have the problem because they did such great records (and some of them outstanding) for the first 20 years of their career and maybe the creativity simply is not the same anymore so the motivation for recording new songs is not very high although Keith seems to have significantly higher motivation than Mick. Mick is more into performing these days.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 29, 2013 17:27

Green Lady
Well, we know the title now: the To Hell With The Legacy Tour.

I'm with you on this, Aquamarine - life is for living and the legacy will take care of itself. I don't believe anything they do now (short of Mick revealing that he's been a double agent for the FBI all these years) could damage it much.

In the final analysis, say 50 years from now, I think some people will say, "There was this band called the Rolling Stones and they made some of the best damn rock n roll the world has ever heard". At the end of the story maybe a footnote, "Man the prices for tickets at that tour were bloody outrageous but worth every penny!"

I have a lot of great memories from this life. In the end I never remember how much I spent for great time. I only remember the great time.

Re: 6 more shows - then what?
Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: June 29, 2013 19:26

mtaylor
open-g

OTHER SONGS KNOWN TO HAVE BEEN REHEARSED IN PARIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER-NOVEMBER 2012)

Five Long Years (Eddie Boyd, Junior Parker, John Lee Hooker)
Not Fade Away
I Just Want to Make Love to You
Tell Me
Time Is on My Side
Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
Under My Thumb
Ruby Tuesday
(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding)
Moonlight Mile
Rip This Joint
Sweet Virginia
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
If You Can't Rock Me
Hot Stuff
Fool to Cry
Some Girls
Going to a Go-Go

ADDITIONAL SONGS KNOWN TO HAVE BEEN REHEARSED IN LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA (APRIL 2013)

The Spider and the Fly
I Heard It Through the Grapevine (Marvin Gaye)
Loving Cup
Ain't Too Proud to Beg
She Was Hot

Underlined songs have been for "Vote for the Rolling Stones to play your song choice tonight".

Moonlight Mile should be underlined too! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-29 19:36 by JerkyLittleGIJoe.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 29, 2013 19:33

jazzbass
In the end I never remember how much I spent for great time. I only remember the great time.

Way to go smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: June 29, 2013 19:58

Gazza: there will be other shows in Scandinavia. Not just Oslo.

People are only reporting on specific info theyve heard about specific cities.

That doesnt mean they arent playing anywhere else.

And how, may I ask, do you know this?

Date: June 29, 2013 20:18

Sipuncula
TheLoneRanger

They are living off their name and name only. No denying they do a masterful job of promoting themselves, but they are but a shell of their former selves. The average concert goer has no clue how bad the guitar section is these days. Even Mick looks bored. They should have shut down the rock 'n roll ten years ago. They could still be a decent country or blues band, but rock 'n roll passed them by in 2003.

I'm missing the Jack'OLantern guy already.

Why? Because he tells you what you want to hear?

Look, I love the Stones (been a fan since the beginning) but I don't approve of what they have been doing for the past ten years. They have little interest in being artists anymore - confirmed by the dud of all duds, ABB, and the inactivity since. Bridges was really their swan song as artists and that was sixteen years ago. They performed admirably for the Licks tour, but since then the guitar section has deteriorated dramatically. They should have dumped the rock 'n roll in 2003 and gone strictly country and blues. Instead, they continue to repeat themselves doing songs that were written three, four, five, decades ago. What amazes me is that they still have an audience. Obviously thousands still get some kind of enjoyment out of hearing the classics played over and over again. Good for them, good for you. Not so good for me, and others like me.

Date: June 29, 2013 20:31

jazzbass
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
MisterDDDD
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
I sure hope they call it quits after Hyde Park on the 13th. They have already damaged their legacy enough by carrying on past the Licks tour ten years ago. They would have been much better off to have just retired from touring then and spent the last ten years in the recording studio.

Yeah. "Damaged".... lol.

(AP) -- The Top 20 Concert Tours ranks artists by average
box office gross per city and includes the average ticket price
for shows in North America. The previous week's ranking is in
parentheses. The list is based on data provided to the trade
publication Pollstar by concert promoters and venue managers.

1. (1) The Rolling Stones; $7,969,276; $346.08.
2. (2) Taylor Swift; $2,072,961; $84.02.
3. (3) Kenny Chesney; $1,829,281; $76.47.
4. (4) Bon Jovi; $1,622,485; $106.01.
5. (New) Fleetwood Mac; $1,426,254; $111.75.

Pretty good for a "damaged" band.

They are living off their name and name only. No denying they do a masterful job of promoting themselves, but they are but a shell of their former selves. The average concert goer has no clue how bad the guitar section is these days. Even Mick looks bored. They should have shut down the rock 'n roll ten years ago. They could still be a decent country or blues band, but rock 'n roll passed them by in 2003.

Sigh. Another "expert" chimes in without the benefit of going to a single show on this tour.

I suggest you poll all the guitar players on this forum and get their opinion.

Did we actually gamble and win????
Posted by: Anastasia60 ()
Date: June 29, 2013 20:45

After the awesome shows in Oakland and Las Vegas in May....we decided to wait...maybe, perhaps, possibly, hopefully...we'd get to see The Stones in Europe again...and now I'm checking airfares from SFO!! Wooo Hoooo! How awesome is this? More Stones, get to see the awesome IORR folks we met in Paris, Frankfurt, Lyon and London in 2007.... oh yeah!

Date: June 29, 2013 20:54

Aquamarine
The notion of people who are still alive not doing something they want to do because they are afraid of the effect on their legacy, i.e. how people will think of them after they're dead, is frankly ridiculous. Are they supposed to hide in caves as they get older lest they affect the way people think of them when they were younger? When you're alive, you should wring every ounce of experience of things you love out of that life, because you won't pass this way again.

Well, if you're a Buddhist I guess you might. But still . .

As a Stones fan it saddens me to see them stumbling to the finish of their career trying to play a brand of music that just doesn't suit elderly citizens. They did it just fine through 2003 which was a miracle in itself. They don't have to hide in caves. They could do other forms of music that would be much more suited for them at this stage of their lives. It's really rather embarrassing watching 70 year old men try and act 22.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: June 29, 2013 21:15

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
Aquamarine
The notion of people who are still alive not doing something they want to do because they are afraid of the effect on their legacy, i.e. how people will think of them after they're dead, is frankly ridiculous. Are they supposed to hide in caves as they get older lest they affect the way people think of them when they were younger? When you're alive, you should wring every ounce of experience of things you love out of that life, because you won't pass this way again.

Well, if you're a Buddhist I guess you might. But still . .

As a Stones fan it saddens me to see them stumbling to the finish of their career trying to play a brand of music that just doesn't suit elderly citizens. They did it just fine through 2003 which was a miracle in itself. They don't have to hide in caves. They could do other forms of music that would be much more suited for them at this stage of their lives. It's really rather embarrassing watching 70 year old men try and act 22.

[www.youtube.com]
silly thing

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 29, 2013 22:10

flashhh
Gazza: there will be other shows in Scandinavia. Not just Oslo.

People are only reporting on specific info theyve heard about specific cities.

That doesnt mean they arent playing anywhere else.

And how, may I ask, do you know this?

Common sense and from what people whose info I respect have told me. The story is 'Scandinavia', not 'Just Norway'. Some news filters out more in some countries than it does in others. That doesnt mean that the other countries arent going to get any shows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-29 22:12 by Gazza.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: June 29, 2013 22:49

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain ()
Your remarks are quite interesting and stand in total contrary to my 40 years live experience with the Rolling Stones.

Brigdes to Babylon marked the worst capital of gigantism of a Stones Tour with the least Chance to get them Close and musically good. Except perhaps for No Security which did not happen in Europe.

This Tour, ok you might not call it a tour is by far superseeding the last 20 years except for some Club Shows in 2003 and earlier.

It would be appreciated if you stick to the thread and / or just leave it or open a whiner threat somewhere over the rainbow.

Despite Ticketprices despite all whiners and criticism these row of concerts is the best continiouing concertrow that any band has made in the last decades.

On with the Show and on with the marvellous concerts and the Messages the Rolling Stones still are able to give.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-30 11:47 by Grison.

Posted by: brianfly3 ()
Date: June 30, 2013 00:03

Wow....stumbling?

Guess you didn't see any shows. I have now seen 53 including Washington on Monday and they are in the best form they have been in for 20+ years....maybe ever.

Period.

They still have alot to contribute and looking forward to more.

Date: June 30, 2013 00:06

Sorry....just read above that rock and roll passed them by in 2003?

Again, 50+ shows for me and they are rocking better than ever.

Some of you folks just plain don't have a clue.

The greatest rock and roll band in the world is on fire.....deal with it.....or quit following along

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: June 30, 2013 00:17

If it's embarrassing for YOU to watch 70 years olds try and act 22, don't watch them, wouldn't want you to feel embarrassed. Obviously I missed the Act of God that made you arbiter of what anyone at any age should act like. I am a 56 year old MD that often goes out with groups of young doctors in training and I enjoy them and they enjoy me, though two weeks ago another MD whispered to me " its so inappropriate , they are just House Officers." One of them was 28, and the whisperer was 30. Who is anyone to tell anyone else how they should behave at any age? Have we all moved into Downton Abby...are Mick's spastic dance moves shameful now because of his age?

And all this crap about legacy, ITS NOT OUR LEGACY, its their legacy. Mick recently admitted it's not much of an intellectual challenge to be a Rock Star. Maybe he wants his legacy to be the guy that pulled it off until he was 90...proving his point that its no big deal. When a famous artist told Bill in France years ago long hair was passé, he retorted that they had started long hair. Keith has said over and over he wants to see how far they can push it, THAT'S HIS LEGACY, THE LEGACY HE WANTS.

Man I am glad this LonerangerRides Again guy ain't here to tell me what I should do and what is proper with my life, he sounds a bit like s judgmental bastard. But then again , there is this famous poem:

To an Athlete Dying Young
By A. E. Housman 1859–1936

The time you won your town the race
We chaired you through the market-place;
Man and boy stood cheering by,
And home we brought you shoulder-high.

Today, the road all runners come,
Shoulder-high we bring you home,
And set you at your threshold down,
Townsman of a stiller town.

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay,
And early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose.

Eyes the shady night has shut
Cannot see the record cut,
And silence sounds no worse than cheers
After earth has stopped the ears.

Now you will not swell the rout
Of lads that wore their honours out,
Runners whom renown outran
And the name died before the man.

So set, before its echoes fade,
The fleet foot on the sill of shade,
And hold to the low lintel up
The still-defended challenge-cup.

And round that early-laurelled head
Will flock to gaze the strengthless dead,
And find unwithered on its curls
The garland briefer than a girl’s.

Now first look at Houseman's dates, he wrote this but clung to life for 76 years. And next, to anyone that sees the beauty here, for anyone that worries about anyone else's legacy, for anyone that wants to judge us and our behavior as we move on in our advancing years by a standard of behavior and performance that they create for us, I have the answer. Take a tip from the poem and crawl away someplace and die young so you don't have to worry if Mick at 75 and I at 61 are both prancing around some stadium to Keith slashing away at JJF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-30 01:57 by kahoosier.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 30, 2013 02:06

kahoosier
are Mick's spastic dance moves shameful now because of his age?

The only thing that is 'shameful' is your usage of the term 'spastic' eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 30, 2013 02:29

Big Al
kahoosier

The only thing that is 'shameful' is your usage of the term 'spastic' eye rolling smiley

No, he's using it in its correct original meaning - but I guess it's become one of those trigger words that can't be used now in any context without offence.

Nice post, kahoosier.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: June 30, 2013 03:31

oldschool
mickschix
That was a funny comment by Keith...referring to inspiring and " fathering" the Artic Monkeys and younger bands he said " It's great to know I ( we) fathered something that I don't have to pay palimony to"... made me laugh! He had to say that God will decide when the Stones call it a day, " not Mick Jagger"...still the jealous child who can't let it go!
I do hope that after the Stones circle the world they can return to Madison Square Garden one more time....that would be fitting! God willing, it could be my final and 40th show.

I am with you mickschix. It is a great place to see a concert and my first Stones show was in 75 at MSG . Would love to see them play there one more time.

MSG DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE!! GET OVER IT!! THE INNER RINGS WERE REMOVED FOR SUITE BOXES AND MOVEMENT FROM SECTION TO SECTION WHILE 'INSIDE' WAS DESTROYED ENDING THE MAGIC OF CIRCULATION (THE LAST ARENA IN THE WORLD). BLAME IT ON THE DOLAN FAMILY WHICH ALSO DESTROYED THE BEACON THEATRE!! R.I.P. - A LIFELONG NYC RESIDENT.

Date: June 30, 2013 06:30

Thanks Kahoosier......EXCELLENT post.

Can't agree more.

These guys are on fire.....and yes...they make some mistakes.

Just like I do in my job every day

Long live the Rolling Stones

Possibly one of the best shows of their career tonight at Glastonbury and I am crazy happy for them and for all of us.

We are lucky bastards to have the Rolling Stones!!!!

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: June 30, 2013 06:59

Big Al
kahoosier

If the euphemism treadmill continues to turn, no one will be able to accurately describe anything. Language will become meaningless. Is that what you really want?

Pretty much on par with society, too, I guess.

We are doomed. I give up.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 30, 2013 07:00

Epic show tonight.

Best Part??
( besides the greatest version of MR ever)

Is when Mick encouraged the people there catching them for the first time to
"Do come again"..

Meaning they'll be(hopefully plenty)more shows... And Counting...

Date: June 30, 2013 07:14

Then give up!

We are gonna keep rocking with the Stones!!!!!

Sorry you won't be along.

Plenty of language to describe here

Posted by: sittinonafence ()
Date: June 30, 2013 15:32

Wholeheartedly agree. The should have cloned that MSG seating plan instead of destroying it. Was the only arena where you could be sitting in the 200 level and feel that youwerethisclose to the stage. What were they thinking???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-30 15:32 by sittinonafence.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: June 30, 2013 16:56

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
jazzbass
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
MisterDDDD
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain

I suggest you poll all the guitar players on this forum and get their opinion.

As I've read so many posts over the years by musicians picking apart the playing by The Stones, it makes me glad I'm not one! It sure seems to make it easier to overlook the mistakes I do hear and spend less time being so analytical. I just get to have a good time with no strings attached.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 30, 2013 16:58

Looking forward to the first of the southern hempishere tour rumours..not as much as one yet

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: June 30, 2013 18:52

The Stones HAVE NOT been to New Orleans since 1994. We have NOT seen them here afterwards. I think they owe us at least one good show. They are going every
where else but the south. Come on guys. ROCK-N-ROLL!!!!!!

drummer_dude

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 30, 2013 19:23

Green Lady

No, he's using it in its correct original meaning - but I guess it's become one of those trigger words that can't be used now in any context without offence.

Nice post, kahoosier.

The term is offensive to anyone with a physical disability. It used to be acceptable, but so did the word 'gollywog' It's about walking in the other persons shoes. It's called being considerate. The latter-mentioned slur is quite rightly now considered to be offensive. As a disabled person, the former is pretty damn offensive, too.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 30, 2013 19:36

Big Al
The term is offensive to anyone with a physical disability.

I wouldn't call mine "disability" as much as I would called it "erectically challenged". grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 30, 2013 19:39

colonial
Looking forward to the first of the southern hempishere tour rumours..not as much as one yet

I hope so for your sake colonial and other southern hempishere types. smiling smiley

As for me, I'm going through Stones withdrawal, can't believe they are done here in the States...and as I am a selfish Stones fan, I want them to come back asap!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 58

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home