Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

BBC sessions on cd
Posted by: perosand ()
Date: March 30, 2005 13:54

What happened to the stones BBC sessions on cd ?
Soon to be released.....
Perry

Re: BBC sessions on cd
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: March 30, 2005 14:26

It will not be released before the Stones quit (if ever).

Posted by: davido ()
Date: March 30, 2005 14:33

Too bad! But there's the boots..........

Posted by: perosand ()
Date: March 30, 2005 14:37

well, as late as 1998 it was to be released
but then it faded away...I saw and heard it on t.v!!
Perry

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 30, 2005 15:24

it was never anything more than speculation.

Doubt it'll ever be released as long as they're a working band. They had a long enough gap in recent years to plough through their archives and release stuff like that. They chose not to. That kind of attitude plus the constant repackaging they DO sanction would indicate that we wont get anything 'fresh' like that until after they've quit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-30 15:24 by Gazza.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 30, 2005 21:11

The Who at the BBC was released several years ago and they're still together (kind of). I believe there's a David Bowie BBC also?

I'm wondering if it might have anything to do with ABKCO and copywrite control of the songs?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 30, 2005 21:16

ALL the artists that recorded a BBC session were edited on official CD, even Queen did only 1 session (8 songs) and was released on 1989.
All the artists except the Stones...

Posted by: Smalltowns ()
Date: March 31, 2005 00:32

i got a beatles bbc session but i don't know if this was an offical release

Date: March 31, 2005 00:37

DGA35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Who at the BBC was released several years ago
> and they're still together (kind of). I believe
> there's a David Bowie BBC also?
>

Theres several artists who have released BBC sessions CD's.

You're talking about two artists who care about their past work (in Townshend's case, he cant escape it)

Mick simply isn't interested. At all. End of.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 31, 2005 00:45

Smalltowns Wrote:
> i got a beatles bbc session but i don't know if
> this was an offical release

That CD was released on 1994, reached #3 on Billboard and sold near to 2 m. copies.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 31, 2005 03:31

In response to Gazza, I don't think that the Stones themselves would have much say as to whether or not the BBC releases a The Stones at the BBC. As I mentioned originally, I would think that it would be Alan Klein who would have any say as to whether a Stones BBC CD would be released or not. Or, perhaps bands that appear on tv/radio shows give up control of the rights/future release to the songs?

I have a Ready Steady Go VHS tape that I bought in the early 90's which has the Stones performing Under My Thumb on it. From what I understand, Dave Clark (of the DC5) bought the rights to the videos.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: March 31, 2005 04:06

Mick was interested enough in his past to pay several thousand quid for the old Little Boy Blue & The Blue Boys tape at auction a few years ago. (possibly just to stop anyone else ever putting it out of course)

Date: March 31, 2005 11:43

that's PRECISELY why he was interested!!!

Date: March 31, 2005 11:53

DGA35 Wrote:
> In response to Gazza, I don't think that the
> Stones themselves would have much say as to
> whether or not the BBC releases a The Stones at
> the BBC. As I mentioned originally, I would think
> that it would be Alan Klein who would have any say
> as to whether a Stones BBC CD would be released or
> not. Or, perhaps bands that appear on tv/radio
> shows give up control of the rights/future release
> to the songs?

I'm not sure. It's quite possible, although the fact that this much touted album has never appeared 6-7 years on would indicate the Stones HAVE had some power of veto on it. No other reason why it hasn't been released. There weren't "BBC sessions" albums around by anyone until 10-15 years ago as far as I can recall though. I doubt that any of these bands who appeared on radio shows in 1963-64 would imagine that their performances would be released 30-40 years later!
>
> I have a Ready Steady Go VHS tape that I bought in
> the early 90's which has the Stones performing
> Under My Thumb on it. From what I understand,
> Dave Clark (of the DC5) bought the rights to the
> videos.

That's quite correct. (You'll notice though that the DC5 are featured prominently in the video - on film. Either they never appeared on the show or there's no remaining footage of them doing so). RSG wasn't a BBC show however, (it was broadcast by Rediffusion on ITV) so the question of the sale of publishing and performing rights would be different. The shows were re-run on Channel 4 in the UK in the mid 80's only after Clark bought the rights to them (with film clips of his own band neatly edited in!). The video releases followed soon afterwards

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 31, 2005 14:00

Releases depend on the label releasing (use to be strange fruit), the artist and the money involved. The Stones appeared on the BBC before they were signed with Allen Klein whose interest lies in the publishing, but the four remaining members of that line up would have to give permission or more Klein/Stones litigation.

there has only ever been speculation about the possibility of release, not a schedule. This all started a few years ago with the discovery of 'previously lost' BBC Stones recordings at the BBC, but turned out to be a working tape of Stones At The Beeb which was broadcast around 1986. The BBC wiped most of it so bootlegs are your best source because if the BBC wanted to release a comprehensive set they would appeal to any one with copies of the broadcasts (like they did with the Beatles which I already wrote about on a previous forum).

To my knowledge the Dave Clark 5 never appeared on RSG but they were edited in for the Channel 4 repeats.

Date: March 31, 2005 14:33

Stones At The Beeb was a one hour broadcast from November 1985. I remember taping it at the time. I think it may have been an AM broadcast as I'm not sure that the Beeb were transmitting on FM until a while after that.

It did contain a few performances which had not previously circulated on bootlegs. They would have broadcast about 15 songs I guess. (I'll check Nico's site for full broadcast info and edit this post later). I think the "lost BBC recordings" mentioned something like 41 songs, so as your post suggests, they could have got a 3 hour special out of that.

It speaks volumes that the BBC's Lost Beatles tapes series a couple of years later consisted of something like ten 30-minute shows, yet the Stones, despite having enough material (many of it uncirculated) for 3 hours of broadcasts, only got 60 minutes.

Date: March 31, 2005 14:36

re: above

30th November: UK radio (BBC1) ‘Stones At The Beeb’. Host: Andy Peebles.
Songs from the archives of BBC, originally aired in the 60’s.
- Come On (Chuck Berry) -Saturday Club 26.10.63
- Memphis, Tennessee (Chuck Berry) -Saturday Club 26.10.63
- interview with BW (from 1985)
- Roll Over Beethoven (Chuck Berry) -Saturday Club 26.10.63
- Not Fade Away (Charles Holley/Norman Petty) -BBC 10.4.64 or 18.4.64
- Down The Road Apiece (Tony Raye) -Top Gear 6.3.65
- interview with Ian Grant
- Route 66 (Bobby Troup) -Saturday Club 9.5.64
- Cops And Robbers (Ellas McDaniel) -Saturday Club 9.5.64
- You Better Move On (Arthur Alexander) -Saturday Club 9.5.64
- Mona (Ellas McDaniel) -Saturday Club 9.5.64
- Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (Bert Russell/Solomon Burke/
Jerry Wexler) -Top Gear 6.3.65
- The Last Time (MJ/KR) -Top Gear 6.3.65
- interview with MJ & BJ by Brian Matthew (Top Of The Pops 4.3.65)
- Mercy Mercy (Don Covay/Ron Miller) -Yeh Yeh 30.8.65
- interview with MJ (1964/65)
- Cry To Me (Bert Russell) -Saturday Club 18.9.65
- Fanny Mae (Waymon Glasco) -Saturday Club 18.9.65
- interview with MJ (1965)
- Satisfaction (MJ/KR) -Yeh Yeh 30.8.65
- 2120 South Michigan Avenue (Nanker Phelge) -Rhythm & Blues 31.10.64

source : [www.nzentgraf.de]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-31 14:37 by Gazza.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 31, 2005 14:41

It was in stereo because Cops And Robbers were broadcast as part of a stereo experiment, reproduced for the broadcast.

Date: March 31, 2005 14:44

yeah thats right - the 4 Camden Theatre songs were originally broadcast early in the morning and you could listen to it via your TV or something as some sort of stereo experiment!!

Found the originalstory in IORR news archive here : [iorr.org]

see the entry for 4th January 1998.

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: March 31, 2005 15:00

Oh yeah, that "Stones at The Beeb" was also broadcasted in Finland circa '86; exactly the same program, only the interviews and other talk was dubbed into Finnish. I still got it somewhere in C-cassette.

Few of those were in a "real" stereo (tracks from "Route 66" to "Mona", if I remember right) because they have tried some odd stereo effect at the time by using the television channel alongside the actual radio channel or something. Very Strange.

One clear observation was also the fact that the performance of the Stones got sloppier from the first sessions to the last ones. It really shows how they lost their tightness as a musical unit in those hysteria years.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: March 31, 2005 15:03

haa, Gazza mentioned that same stereo oddity too!

- Doxa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home