Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Going sober? Somebody help me
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 29, 2005 05:07

Jesus, now I know why Ronnie has had such a tough time with it. I freely admit it--I got a problem with too much alcohol. I'm getting drunk right now, and this is no good when I have an important job to do and a family to support.

Here's the thing--I LIKE catching this buzz. Look, I'm getting plastered not only on the weekends, but almost every other day--this cannot be a good sign. My addiction isn't hard liquor--it's beer. This may sound stupid, but I can go through two cases in a weekend easily. I drink it like water. Alice Cooper had the same problem--this guy drank nothing else. I'm not THAT bad, but the danger signals are coming on--my memory is not good, I'm sluggish and not at 100% capacity, I'm sick a lot, and while I should be happy, I'm not.

Not to worry, guys--I do NOT hold any suicidal tendencies, so no reason to call 911. I love life, but this addiction is grabbing hold of me, and I've got to get it under control. What do I do next?

I'm being completely serious here, my friends. This is no joking matter. I gotta get a handle on this.

Re: Going sober? Somebody help me
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 29, 2005 05:14

Bassdude,

You need to get professional help immediately. Don't isolate yourself. You already took a big hurdle, you admit that you have a problem. This is indeed no joke. The next step is to stop, how simple that sounds. Don't do it for your family, do it for yourself.

hang in there!

- Koen.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 29, 2005 06:14

Ditto what Koen said bassplayer. You are not alone either!

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: March 29, 2005 07:46

Goodluck my fellow Stones Fan. My sister has been alcohol & drug free for 25 years. Hang in there, you will realize you dont need it and start feeling better.

Milo, NYC
Congratulations.....

Date: March 29, 2005 10:34

Bassplayer,

Go to an AA Meeting. If you stand it, go again. I've been sober for seven weeks tonight and I don't miss booze at all. I drank a lot during and after the Christmas hols and truly got sick and tired of being sick and tired. Now I really groove on not being tired, sluggish, cranky and perpetually broke.

Just don't drink and drive. I did and was caught; it gets very expensive if you're caught.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 29, 2005 12:21

Use to drink 6 to 18 bottles of beer a night then got struck down with a (non-alcohol related) virus and now it's rare that I drink more than 4 pints a week unless I'm on a tour !

Guess you got to find out the reason why you drink and fix it, sorry this is a bit shallow. Good luck.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 29, 2005 12:48

Hi bassplayer, I'd love to help you in any way I can.
I admire your courage in admitting your problem in a rather public marketplace. But I'm wondering if you'd rather talk off the board. Write me if you want. You know how to find the address.

Posted by: jss ()
Date: March 29, 2005 13:14

i myself am going on day fifteen of sobrity...it is interesting to see how addiction can build itself up and really dig in...to say one day at a time may seem cliche, but i can see where it comes from...waking up without a thumper and you can't get a dui while drinking coffee are also pluses in my book...good luck...i also looked at people i admired who have sobered up, ronnie, kurt vonnegut, elmore leonard, gregg allman and figure that if they can do it so can i....

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: March 29, 2005 13:47

I take my hat off , Mr. Bassplayer!

You've obviously already taken step one which is to admit to yourself that you do have a problem (and admitting that in cyberspace to a bunch of total strangers is awe-inspiring, to put it mildly...)
Not having had an alcohol-problem myself (but having instead fallen in love, and lived with, and eventually left a true alcoholic after four very long years of trying in vain to get him to even admit it to himself) I can only say: speak to ChelseaDrugstore and anyone else who has been in a similar situation and accept their help and go to the AA and yes, take it one day at a time, any goal is easier to achieve that way...
Alcohol addiction unfortunately is so acceptable socially, people simply expect you to drink if you're a grownup, they virtually push it onto you, so I think that you have to recruit the help of your drinking mates, too, if they are true friends they will not only allow you to consume a coke or whatever, but also watch like a hawk that you do only that and support you all the way, and if they don't, well, then it's time to scrutinise who your real friends are and to drop the rest, you're probably better off without them....

Good luck, and may I just say that not drinking any alcohol whatsoever for years (not by virtue or achievement, I've simply gradually gone off the taste of alcohol over the last 5 years or so) will give you a clarity of mind that is unbelievable until you experience it.
Mind you, my memory is deteriorating fast, must be age, where am I? who are you? why am I even talking to you?

Posted by: Marcia ()
Date: March 29, 2005 16:47

You have more support than you can imagine. Koen's advice is so very "to the point"...you have taken the first step to admit there is a problem, and you MUST want sobriety for yourself and no one else. There are so many with you.
Professional help is good. AA is a way of life and so many would not have a life without it. As Menace of Mayfair said, just try one meeting TODAY.
I will keep you in my heart.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 29, 2005 17:17

Hey man,

You know in your heart what you should do. Follow that innervoice that is telling you to stop. Make your choice and do it for yourself and your family.
I am certainly not one to pass judgement and will not pretend to be clean.
I will never preach one way or the other. People need to make their own choices and live with the resulting actions.
Life is a fantastic adventure, full of ups and downs. Try to enjoy every day of it.
Way to go for even posting this here.
Your friend,
Kurt

Date: March 30, 2005 10:58

Begin by helping yourself.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: davido ()
Date: March 30, 2005 14:49

Alcohol is a psychological impulse not a physical
addiction -you don't have to drink. But if you do,
like 15-20% of the population you may be disposed
to alcoholism. It is widely believed to be the
result of a chemical imbalance, affecting you
not unlike an allergy -if you drink this
is what will happen.

You have recognized the symptons. Basically, the
solution is simple -don't drink. Some cognitive
therapy is also necessary to help you come to terms
with the psychological aspects. Some folks like AA,
although other less religious /bandwagon approaches
are also possible. If your medial benefits at work
cover it you may consider counselling, if not
consider paying for it yourself, it's money
well spent. And as you know drinking is not
cheap, financially, or in the way it affects
your life, your livilihood, and others
around you. So the cost is relatively cheap.

I stopped drinking 12 years ago, and altho it was
rough at first, I feel great now, got a second
lease on life, and have never looked back.
Once the fog clears you'll realize you
are just fine without it and can function
and enjoy life just as well if not a whole
lot better. The downside is if you don't
quit, I'm sorry to say, odds are you will
piss away your life to ill effect hurting
not only yourself but the others around
you, and for what?

Hope this helps in some small way. It's not
easy but recognizing the problem is the first big
hurdle. Also the first big step on the road to
self recovery. I salute you.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 30, 2005 15:19

Davido,

I disagree with some of your post about it not being physical.

I have known several people, including relatives, who were addicted to alcohol one way or another. (My brother still is addicted and has recently been tagged for drink driving, and has caused all sorts of problems at home.)

I agree that there are people who are phsycologically addicted (I probably am) but I have definately come accross real physical addiction cases.

For example, one guy I know was addicted to cider. He woke up every morning with the shakes and had physical withdrawal symptoms if he didn't have a drink for a few hours. Surely this is a physical addiction?

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 30, 2005 16:52

My advice would be don't stop drinking without medical support.
It's a way of staying motivated to do it with a doctor.

It's great that you have taken conscience of your situation. There's no way trying to make people stop if they don't feel any need to stop. Now it isn't your case anymore, and I'm sure you'll make it.

Best wishes, keep us informed
smiling smiley

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: March 31, 2005 06:43

Bassplayer,

If you are as smart as you claim to be why are you using the IORR board to whinge about your problem? Seek professional help and shut the f&ck up already. Stop acting like a helpless girlie man and get to work. I hate reading about other people's affected helplessness about their stupid problems.

Date: March 31, 2005 07:43

The Menace of Mayfair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bassplayer,
>
> If you are as smart as you claim to be why are you
> using the IORR board to whinge about your problem?
> Seek professional help and shut the f&ck up
> already. Stop acting like a helpless girlie man
> and get to work. I hate reading about other
> people's affected helplessness about their stupid
> problems.
>
> "Embrace the madness. It's easier that way."

OK, MoM, then don't read them. I'm doing fine on my own, thank you very much. As a replacement vice, I think I'll start dressing in ladies' clothing on the weekends--seems to be popular in England (ahem).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-31 07:49 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 31, 2005 08:16

Seems like Menace didn't have a very good day today.

Posted by: MisterD ()
Date: March 31, 2005 09:07

In all honesty this may not be the best place to go to for real help. No doubt there are many "sober" people here, and they can help. But you need to get out to your local AA meeting or have a revelation that you are going to stop. I also have been fighting booze for a long time, and I'm still not ready.
It would take a very unique post on a Rolling Stone's message board to get me to stop drinking.
Not too mention, a message board that has had a consistant subject matter called "I am drunk", and that worship's the Rolling Stone's could easily be thought of as an enabler.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: April 1, 2005 04:01

yep - agreed - the board has too many drunks to help you.

My solution would be to keep drinking....

That's why IORR isn't the place for this!

BTW - I don't think Menace is English....!

Esky

I respect women who can suck golf balls through a garden hose....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 1, 2005 08:25

Geez Bassplayer your only slurpin' Bud but if you were down here sluggin' on Aussie beer then I'd say you'd be in real deep shit.

Remember everything you like will kill ya...!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 1, 2005 08:37

Somebody Help Me - Spencer Davis Group 1966....great single by the way.

ROCKMAN

Date: April 8, 2005 16:55

Thanks to those of you who have written to me privately, expresssing your concerns and your support.

As a compromise, I'm just going to drastically cutback my consumption. No more "every-other-day" stuff, which causes too many problems. I'll have a few tonight, but no more during-the-week imbibing.

I will continue my private correspondence on this matter, but this is my last public statement, OK?

Date: April 8, 2005 20:43

Thank YO!

Posted by: davido ()
Date: April 9, 2005 01:23

If its a problem you may find it's
an all or nothing sort of thing
but good luck anyway!

Date: April 9, 2005 05:37

davido Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If its a problem you may find it's
> an all or nothing sort of thing
> but good luck anyway!

BIEN ECRIT, DAVIDO!! C'EST TOTALLMENT VRAI!!!!! J'EN SUIS SUR!!!

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: April 9, 2005 06:24

hey buddy
i drank for 30 years with impunity. was a record industry exec, well known in my field, flew around the world, rockin and rollin. then, rather quickly, alcohol stopped working for me and became a monkey i could not get off my back alone. i needed help. fortunately, a complete stranger had the nerve to tell me i was an alcoholic and steered me to AA. perhaps AA does not work for eveyone, but it worked for me. i lost my desire to drink almost instantly (which i attribute to a spiritual force in my life, not AA) and AA has helped me stay sober and filled a void in my life that existed long before i relaized a had a drinking problem. for an alcoholic, your plight is no laughing matter. alcohol is a powerful drug. alcoholism is a disease whic tells the afflicted 'you are not sick".
if you want to be free of this nightmare, call your local AA hotline, NOW. go to a meeting, there are probably dozens near where you live. and there are men and women there who will welcome you, and help you get and stay sober. get going!

Date: April 9, 2005 07:53

Way to GO, Thickie! Well put and certainly true!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1961
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home