Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Rolling Stones: Video Rewind (1984) Mick Jagger & Bill Wyman scenes
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 25, 2013 04:41

Rockman
but i´ve never found out what´s the story about him or what he is doing,

Australian actor/comedian Norman Gunston (Garry McDonald)who had The Norman Gunston Show on Australian Television ... part of his act was to track down celebrities and often get them off guard with ridiculous question ....[/quote

I think I've seen that before and it's freakin' hysterical.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 25, 2013 06:29

i still have the laserdisc, havent watched it in years though

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: June 25, 2013 06:29

amazing how jagger replicated that look- 9 years after the fact - almost scary

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: June 25, 2013 06:36

24FPS
Bill is the most English of all of them isn't he? Interesting that Mick and he did this together. I think they used to have more of a relationship than they do now, obviously. Also, Mick might have felt like rewarding him for being the only stable member of the band at that point. This might have been during Charlie's heroin phase, Ronnie's crackpipe dreams in Hollywood, and Keith's perpetual post junk booze binge.

'Jimi Hendrix Bathroom Cabinet 1970' - bit of a sick joke, eh? Like having Brian Jones' water wings.

They were really playing up the nasty Stones bit in that video. Watched it over and over back in the day, renting it out and copying it with another machine!. I think Keith spent that whole year honeymooning with Patti, lazy sod.

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 25, 2013 06:55

Rockman
but i´ve never found out what´s the story about him or what he is doing,

Australian actor/comedian Norman Gunston (Garry McDonald)who had The Norman Gunston Show on Australian Television ... part of his act was to track down celebrities and often get them off guard with ridiculous question ....
Didn't Keith Moon call him an "Australian slag" and tip a drink over him? Oh, and the jam he had with Zappa is classic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-25 06:56 by lazzzybones.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 25, 2013 09:09

hbwriter
I do know what you could mean, although without the wrinkles, he could replicate it nearly 40 years later nowadays. The guy is a freak.

Whats weird to think is that he was over 40 at this point and someone said "hey, wouldn't it be great if you dressed how you did 10 years ago? You know, now that you're a full fledged adult." Kind of desperate when you think about it now, although then again it could have easily been Mick's idea.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: June 26, 2013 06:39

proudmary
I've never seen this before

[youtu.be]

Wonderful! Haven't been able to see these parts since I gave up the VHS.

Its always been cool over the years on the rare non musical occasions when they've trotted out someone besides just Mick or Keith. Thinking of Ronnie's bit at the beginning of Anyone Seen My Baby video.

But anyway, Bill just shines here. Great stuff. Thank you Proudmary!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 26, 2013 07:05

I love the bit that begins at 6:55:

Mick: Can you find the bit where Keith hits the bloke over the head with the guitar?

Bill: Yeah! Search... hits... with... guitar...

Then, from 7:13 to 7:23, the way Bill laughs as the scene unfolds is priceless!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 26, 2013 08:54

RollingFreak
hbwriter
I do know what you could mean, although without the wrinkles, he could replicate it nearly 40 years later nowadays. The guy is a freak.

Whats weird to think is that he was over 40 at this point and someone said "hey, wouldn't it be great if you dressed how you did 10 years ago? You know, now that you're a full fledged adult." Kind of desperate when you think about it now, although then again it could have easily been Mick's idea.

Not really. When you actually do turn 40, you begin to realize that 10 years is not really a long time, people in their 30s start to look almost kid-like in a weird way, and that there really isn't much of a difference between 30 and 40--your forties don't really become your forties until you're in the 43 to 46 range, and even then, with a bit of maintenance, one can look 30 for quite a while longer.

It wasn't until 1993 that Mick started resembling the more mature-looking Mick we know of today, when, for the first time, you could see deep wrinkles on display on a magazine cover promoting an interview he was doing for Wandering Spirit. A local DJ commented at the time, "Wow, Mick's face is really starting to look like.... what his life has been about." By that point, there was no turning back.

But in 1983, 1984, The Stones were still hip and cool, if no longer kids, and an aging Mick Jagger was something you could speculate on, but never quite picture....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 26, 2013 15:05

Video Rewind.....it was a milestone back in the days. I'm a big fan of it.....
At least I used to be; haven't watched it since the early 90s.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 26, 2013 15:15

haven't watched it since the early 90s.

...Eric ...maybe you can celebrate by watching it when ya turn 100 ....hehehe

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tattooyou ()
Date: June 26, 2013 15:41

What does Bill say on the microphone during Miss You?

Date: June 26, 2013 15:52

Rockman
haven't watched it since the early 90s.

...Eric ...maybe you can celebrate by watching it when ya turn 100 ....hehehe

Only 2 years left to go, Rockman.....pardon onntintointto; I just lost my ljkbaslbfa dention løinoslinflinf on ponpnd the jlins keyboard lbslbtlbt....

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: June 26, 2013 19:04

I have this VHS tape too! Thinking of it and the way they decided to portray themselves, I can tell that it was around this period (early 80's) when they brought in the factor of time and its impact on them as a group. They actually represent themselves as artifacts of some sort of modern music museum. The title itself is called 'Rewind'. Moreover, this is in line with the inserted clips for 'Time is on my side' in the concert movie 'Let's spend the night together' (Remember the pictures of the Stones as kids turning older and older and them playing Time is on my side in 1964?) This says maybe a lot about Mick's fear of becoming a 'relic', eventually leading him to do something more 'contemporate'.
When they 'came back' in 1989, they accompanied their return with another production called '25 X 5 The continuing adventures of the Rolling Stones'. Their present state, I think, is directly connected with these issues and especially their role as a band to have survived to tell its fascinating story on-stage and throughout time, embellished from time to time with some new 'incidents', as traditional myth- and history-making always do.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 26, 2013 20:04

Finally I get to see this footage! It's awesome! Didn't know it was so full of humor and great old clips from the '70s. Mick being in his '73 jumpsuit is genious.

Is that Keith Moon at 15:02???

Date: June 26, 2013 20:18

LieB
Finally I get to see this footage! It's awesome! Didn't know it was so full of humor and great old clips from the '70s. Mick being in his '73 jumpsuit is genious.

You didn't see this movie before *now*? Geesus....."Video Rewind" is such a lost treasure.....I bet RS would have released it right away on DVD/blueray if it was Jagger and Richards playing the "roles". That stupid RS band seem to have something against Bill Wyman.....

Video Rewind deserves an Oscar. Or at least a wet Willie

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 26, 2013 20:28

LieB

yes

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: June 26, 2013 21:02

I remember reading (or hearing) that it was left to Bill to do the scenes between the video, because no one else in the band was interested. They all knew that Bill was the historian of the group. Mick agreed to join in closer to the last minute.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 26, 2013 22:20

Still have that VHS tape. Very funny

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 27, 2013 02:10

I somehow managed not even to know of the existence of this. Thanks for posting!

Date: June 27, 2013 02:13

I'm hoping this little hiatus over the summer/early fall will enable them to release some more archive product. This would be the perfect time to release all their promo films, remastered from Have You Seen Your Mother through Doom and Gloom.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: June 27, 2013 07:39

Sorry but hate the fag looking, acting Jagger, in this video. Always liked the way one was never really certain if he was or wasn't, ya know?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 27, 2013 07:44

I'm sure "fags" hate you too, @#$%&.

Date: June 27, 2013 08:32

rob51
Sorry but hate the fag looking, acting Jagger, in this video. Always liked the way one was never really certain if he was or wasn't, ya know?

Maybe you should keep it to Sylvester Stallone or He-man videos if your're so uncertain and curious about your own sexual preference......just a suggestion

Date: June 27, 2013 08:39

John Lennon used the word quite liberally in Lennon Remembers, referring to Jagger and Warhol. Wonder if his image will ever be tarnished from it, like Hemingway's once macho persona has made him a laughable character.

Date: June 27, 2013 08:43

24FPS
...like Hemingway's once macho persona has made him a laughable character.

I'm not laughing of him.....his works speaks for itself IMO

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 27, 2013 09:20

rob51
Thought the same thing. Not about the "fag" stuff, but Jagger's acting in general. Its so laughable, yet he's the one who at one time considered himself a pretty decent actor. I wonder if he was even trying here and it just came out really really bad.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 27, 2013 09:24

24FPS
John Lennon used the word quite liberally in Lennon Remembers, referring to Jagger and Warhol. Wonder if his image will ever be tarnished from it, like Hemingway's once macho persona has made him a laughable character.

hmm. don't think i've ever heard of anyone laughing at hemingway or lennon other than when they were being funny.

Date: June 27, 2013 09:32

sonomastone
24FPS

hmm. don't think i've ever heard of anyone laughing at hemingway or lennon other than when they were being funny.

Me neither.....

Date: June 27, 2013 11:32

Erik_Snow
24FPS
...like Hemingway's once macho persona has made him a laughable character.

I'm not laughing of him.....his works speaks for itself IMO

Yeah, but the tough guy Hemingway was a huge public persona when he was alive. Even he seemed to buy into it. In time a lot of his macho posturing has been reinterpreted as insecurity. And there hasn't been any sort of Hemingway revival in a long time, while Fitzgerald's reputation grows and grows. During their respective times Hemingway was a wealthy, well respected Superstar. Fitzgerald ended as a burned out alcoholic, though dry at the time around his death. Now their roles are reversed, with Fitzgerald being the respected artist, and Hemingway, though still hugely influential to a couple generation of writers, has faded to the background.

What this has to do with 1984's Video Rewind, I have no idea.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1571
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home