Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: The No-Politics Thread
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 18, 2020 16:50

Fernandobsas
All the Tattoo You B side is great, more than great.

Bye
Fernando

Damn right!

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 18, 2020 16:51

Fernandobsas
All the Tattoo You B side is great, more than great.

Bye
Fernando

For me, the last great Stones ballads are on side B of Tattoo You. Love that album, perfect album side.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 18, 2020 17:04

No Use In Crying has some of the most emotionally expressive vocals Mick has ever done, esp. starting around the 2:25 mark on this song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-18 17:19 by ryanpow.

Re: Ain't No Use In Crying - the song
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 18, 2020 17:12

Would have made a Hell of a B stage performance

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 18, 2020 17:14

gotdablouse
Great guitars lines...not heard again until LIND, 20+ years later.

Indeed, it wasn't until LIND that we heard this side of the Stones again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-18 20:35 by ryanpow.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: December 18, 2020 17:46

I only recently discovered that they actually do use the word “in” when they sing it. For years I thought it was just “ain’t no use crying.”tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: December 18, 2020 18:08

It's songs like these that put the Stones in a class all their own. Side 2 of Tattoo is a masterpiece.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 18, 2020 18:19

I think it pairs beautifully with "Heaven". Great song, one of my favorites. I have an emotional memory associated with it, so it will always rank a little higher.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 18, 2020 18:23

It is a great song, and keep in mind that it is completely unpolitical.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 18, 2020 19:12

My most vivid memory of this is hearing it for the first time in my dark room on a sweltering summer night in '81.

I had played the "Start Me Up" single a couple times, and then flipped it over and out came this masterpiece. The Stones were reaching back to a more delicate and quieter Brian-era sound that reminded me of "Lady Jane."

Even more than that, this Ronnie-credited song evoked side two of Faces' Ooh La La album. It would fit right in between "If I'm On The Late Side" and "Glad and Sorry."

It can't be overstated how incredible "Start Me Up" was to fans back then. "No Use In Crying" was the confirmation that their upcoming Tattoo You album was going to really be something special.

And it was.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 18, 2020 19:44

I've always loved everything about No Use In Crying since the beginning - lyrics, instrumentation, vocals, etc.,
There's even a hint of some old Stonesy vibe in there going way back to their cover of Time is on my Side.
It's actually been my absolute favorite from Tattoo You for many years now.
They certainly don't write (or record) 'em like that any more...

"Stay away from me..."

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 18, 2020 19:57

More here: [iorr.org]

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: December 18, 2020 22:07

One of a very small handful of Stones songs that opens with it's chorus. Really nice treat to hear it again, a true gem.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 18, 2020 23:01

One of the very many highlights of TATTOO YOU. The ballad side is a masterpiece in and of itself.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 18, 2020 23:24

Great song.It is a Blues but it sounds different than one would expect. Stones signature style; a foot in the past the other in the future.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 19, 2020 01:53

DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
No Use In Crying is great. I love it. Great lyrics, great music, great vocals. It is completely underrated!

I thought we all liked it! smiling smiley

I thought so too.
I all love it...

So it's well-rated, then? winking smiley

Infinitely underrated?

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: December 19, 2020 07:58

Headphones on...late at night....nice whisky....the song is awesome.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 19, 2020 09:26

drwatts
It's songs like these that put the Stones in a class all their own. Side 2 of Tattoo is a masterpiece.

well said

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 19, 2020 09:27

Maindefender
Would have made a Hell of a B stage performance

wow...so true

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: December 19, 2020 19:33

How great wouuld it be if they went into the studio next week with Chris Kimsey and Bob Clearmountain and made Tattoo You Too....with dusted off outtakes re-recorded and do 5-6 fast numbers and 5-6 slow? I could easily name that many songs

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 19, 2020 20:49

Elmo Lewis
I think "Ain't No Use In Crying" is soooo underrated.

I hate the term "criminally underrated".

One of my favorites of Tattoo You. But then all of the songs on Tattoo You are my favourites, apart from Hang Fire.
No Use In Crying: Mick's great doing what he's doing best, the guitars are great, the rhythm is great.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: December 19, 2020 21:09

One of my favorites.

Side two of Tattoo You is my favorite album side of the band, just love it to this day.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 20, 2020 04:21

loog droog
My most vivid memory of this is hearing it for the first time in my dark room on a sweltering summer night in '81.

I had played the "Start Me Up" single a couple times, and then flipped it over and out came this masterpiece. The Stones were reaching back to a more delicate and quieter Brian-era sound that reminded me of "Lady Jane."

Even more than that, this Ronnie-credited song evoked side two of Faces' Ooh La La album. It would fit right in between "If I'm On The Late Side" and "Glad and Sorry."

It can't be overstated how incredible "Start Me Up" was to fans back then. "No Use In Crying" was the confirmation that their upcoming Tattoo You album was going to really be something special.

And it was.

They've released some rather bland LP track B-sides over the years but to think about how No Use In Crying was released as the B-side to Start Me Up, a gargantuan single released 10 days before the LP, to see the context of what you said in regard to knowing side B of the LP, No Use In Crying gets a bit more gravitas for me in its context now.

To think that they were hinting at what was to come in such a way, it really is the perfect B-side of perhaps all their singles in the very way that it literally foreshadowed the album.

Did you figure that out after? Certainly Tops would've made another great B-side in regard to the pre-LP release single but No Use In Crying probably fits the audio sound a bit better.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1985
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home