Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Slow ticket sales this time?
Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: March 26, 2005 08:34

Considering some places like D.C. among other places had a hard time selling tickets last time, and the fact that U2 is on the road this fall also, I'm concerned that this last tour might be a bust.
I mean, they really don't have very much new stuff to draw on anymore and everyone knows it will be the same songs as it always is (the new album doesn't count...most people won't want to hear that material).
It has been now so long between albums and hits that I think casual Stones fans won't go...they'll spend their money on U2 or Paul McCartney (why does he have to tour EVERY TIME the Stones do?).
What could possibly be new and exciting about this new tour?
I can't even think of a song to open with....they've used everything up...now they are repeating opening songs from past tours ("Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Brown Sugar," "Start Me Up").
I think unless the Stones play only arenas, with stadiums in New York, Los Angeles, and maybe one or two other big Stones towns, the ticket sales on this tour are going to reflect the sales of "Live Licks"....abyssmal. At this point, I think most people feel like, "seen and heard those songs enough...no thanks."
It's not like U2 who have had a few hits over the last 15 years.....
I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so....your views?

(Saw some fashion guy on the Style Network today call a shirt with Rolling Stones tongues on it "too Grandpa-ish").

Re: Slow ticket sales this time?
Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 26, 2005 08:59

It will depend from my perspetive on how Hit is the new album, selling ticket prices ( which in turn will reflect where they will show). Nevertheless if they play first in the US they will have a harsh time if they stick to arenas shows because as you write U2 are in the places ( 8 MSG !!!!). Better tuurn to Shea or JFK. If you are still the Greatest R&R Band, you have to show in front of vast audiences....only Stadiums.
If you want to make money, then play 30 or 40 Las Vegas .Like Celine Dion. Then the 40 Licks tour would have been the last Stones Tour. And as I would hope Mick, Keith and Charlie make a final turn with grace, please boys don't do it.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: March 26, 2005 17:29

If they play Europe in 2006 definitly, because of the World cup in germany. till today 4 Million (!!!!!!)asked for tickets. Ticket Prices between 40-650 Euro.Thousands of them are Stones-Fans, too;especially in Germany and the netherlands. Where is the money to see BOTH???.

Yeah, the Stadiums will be half-empty....

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: March 26, 2005 18:08

Considering that the new album hasn't been recorded or released yet,
Considering that the tour hasn't been announced yet,
Considering that the last tours have been mega tours
and considering that folks have been saying this is the last time
for decades, I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally, I'd be happy if the Stones dropped all back up crap
and just played at the local blues bar for a week,
but that ain't gonna happen either.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: March 26, 2005 20:15

I agree with one post the other day that said if there are not too many stadium shows they will not construct a state of the art stadium backdrop. This might be a mistake, unless ticket prices are really low. The days of the Some Girls stage are gone...unless you want to bring back $18.50 tickets. They spoiled me with STeel Wheels.....I say the bigger the show....the better! The Stones have all the money they could ever need....they should play or adapt their stage shows to hold on to the title of Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World. The thought of U2 outselling the Stones is frightening to me. Jagger loves money, but he is also very competitive. I gotta believe the Stones will find a way to come out on top. The album needs to be a hit....and they really need a hit single. Start Me Up on the 81 tour drew bigger ovations than some of the warhorses. Same thing with Miss You in 78. They need a hit! I know how we all say they are above that, blah, blah, blah. They want and need a hit song.

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: March 26, 2005 20:26

>Start Me Up on the 81 tour
> drew bigger ovations than some of the warhorses.
> Same thing with Miss You in 78. They need a hit!
> I know how we all say they are above that, blah,
> blah, blah. They want and need a hit song.

And think about Out of Control, Saint of Me, Anybody Seen my bady and Flip the Switch during the B2B shows. Especially the first two songs mentioned were very great live tunes which got the crowd rocking.
2 or 3 songs like these and they can put on a great concert without relying merely on warhorses.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: March 27, 2005 00:27

tHATS WHAt I SAY---stones neED A NEW hit-sINGLE;OR FALL tHREE STEPS DOWN

Posted by: atip ()
Date: March 28, 2005 07:56

I don't think too many people go for new songs. Being a veteran of quite a few Stones' shows, I'd say that 40 Licks actually seemed to be a bigger draw than Bridges/No Security. I measure that on the ease of buying tickets in front of the venues. I think they need to pick the stadium show sites in good R&R cities that will draw big crowds (ex. Chicago, London) and stick to arenas in the others. Filling an arena will be no problem, anywhere. Second, it would be nice to give us a break on the ticket prices. The Stones push it to the limit on ticket prices.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 29, 2005 01:09

I wonder what the gimmick is going to be this time around.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 29, 2005 03:24

If they're going to hope it'll be a fast seller, the gimmick should be "The Ten Dollar a Ticket" tour!

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: March 29, 2005 07:18

If the Stones want to increase ticket sales, all they have to do is drop the price and maybe set a new standard for the rest of the industry in the process.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 29, 2005 11:44

I didn't believe they'd sell well in the UK last time because of ticket prices and they sold quick. But tickets for larger shows always seem to be available. At Oakland, Comisky Park and MSG last time there were tickets on sale on show day.

Maybe Oasis will finally crack the US and the Stones will beg off ha ha.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 29, 2005 15:44

I thought they'd struggle in the UK too, but the marketing was clever (from their perspective) in that the tickets for the first 3 shows (Astoria, Wembley and Twickenham) all went on sale simultaneously, and at the time it appeared there wouldnt be any extra UK shows (apart from a possible 2nd Twickenham gig)

Naturally, most people went for tickets for the smallest show they could get and when they were locked out of that went for the next best thing. So a lot of the more expensive stadium tickets were sold fast because there were so many people compensating themselves by getting £150 tickets for Twickenham who couldnt get into Wembley or Astoria.

I already had Astoria on a pre-sale, got locked out of Wembley (although I got great seats later on via fellow fans) so went for the best twickenham seats I could get. The whole system plays on the consumer's lack of patience and confidence that something will come up later on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home