Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12
Re: Philadelphia-2 June 21 Stones show live updates
Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 22, 2013 16:35

A couple of random responses:

From the pit, Aaron Neville's mike was set too soft.

I also noticed Mick trying to wrap up CYHMK before everybody else was ready.

And thoughts: Charlie was grinning quite a bit during the evening. I watched him looking to Chuck for most of the cues. Keith occasionally signaled or looked over, but usually didn't.

One odd moment -- Mick fumbled a lyric -- I'm trying to remember on what song -- and Keith snapped to attention, staring at Mick, very focused, as he and Ronnie made sure they were together, until everybody was on the same page. Keith then went back to focusing on the music, with occasional poses.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: June 22, 2013 16:46

bam

And thoughts: Charlie was grinning quite a bit during the evening. I watched him looking to Chuck for most of the cues. Keith occasionally signaled or looked over, but usually didn't.

One odd moment -- Mick fumbled a lyric -- I'm trying to remember on what song -- and Keith snapped to attention, staring at Mick, very focused, as he and Ronnie made sure they were together, until everybody was on the same page. Keith then went back to focusing on the music, with occasional poses.

Only four little mistakes are listed by true fans?
So I see, this performance must have been one of their very best!

grinning smiley

Posted by: Fixembones ()
Date: June 22, 2013 16:46

Aaron's mike was too soft....still a great song performance!!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 22, 2013 16:57

Good to see Mick Taylor got some action on CYHMK. Under the Boardwalk?? I can't see how this came off well but I'll have to see the video. Mick and company obviously have time to rehearse with Arron Neville but not with Mick Taylor to iron out some kinks or to do Love in Vain or Dead Flowers

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 22, 2013 17:06

Great video indeed. Taylor looks very self-confident, playing a not so simple but very varied solo, with a great climax.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: June 22, 2013 17:08

I THINK MICK T. GETS A LOT NERVOUS ENERGY OUT THERE AND TENDS TO NOT STICK TO THE SOLO AS RECORDED.
HE IMPROVISES AND JAGGER WANTS NONE OF THAT.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 22, 2013 17:23

bam

Jagger had a couple odd moments: he was way off-key during the falsetto parts of Emotional Rescue and the first verse of Brown Sugar. Keef, not to be left out, seemed a bit timing challenged at times and started his second solo on Sympathy in the wrong key. Gimme Shelter ran too long and nearly fell apart toward the end. Oh the humanity of it all!

Very good show otherwise. Aaron Neville's Under the Boardwalk was finally a worthwhile guest spot. Taylor nailed CYHMK and Rambler. Ron Wood played as well as he can. And Charlie Watts is an anchor, holding the whole thing together. It ain't the Stones live without Charlie Watts.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: June 22, 2013 17:27

with sssoul
OneHit
Under the Boardwalk sounds great here. How long has it been since they've plsyed it? If ever?

I doublechecked Ian McPherson's excellent site: [www.timeisonourside.com] ; they played it in 1965.
According to Nico Zentgraf's excellent site: [www.nzentgraf.de] , it may only have been played two or three times back then.

I love the Rolling Stones

Thank you! That is quite remarkable, then. We get UTBW a fair bit on classic hits radio here in Australia because it hit #1 here. I don't think it was released as a single anywhere else. Another 60s obscurity they've pulled out of the bag for this tour.

Date: June 22, 2013 17:35

OneHit
with sssoul
OneHit
Under the Boardwalk sounds great here. How long has it been since they've plsyed it? If ever?

I doublechecked Ian McPherson's excellent site: [www.timeisonourside.com] ; they played it in 1965.
According to Nico Zentgraf's excellent site: [www.nzentgraf.de] , it may only have been played two or three times back then.

Thank you! That is quite remarkable, then. We get UTBW a fair bit on classic hits radio here in Australia because it hit #1 here. I don't think it was released as a single anywhere else. Another 60s obscurity they've pulled out of the bag for this tour.

It's a doo-wop song which is out of the Stones territory and field of expertise, but if they played it way back when.... Aaaron Nevill has a new doo-wop album out/Keith is on it///Don Was producing

Date: June 22, 2013 17:48

sonomastone
black n blue
Green Lady
14 Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor
15 Miss You
16 Start Me Up
17 Tumbling Dice

- and you can fill in the rest from here. Back to 22 songs I think.

Not very inspiring. Hey Keith getting bored yet?

I think he got bored about 20 years ago.

He was busy being bored when he fell out of the coconut tree. Moral of this tale is don't scale a coconut tree when you are bored.

Date: June 22, 2013 17:52

I think it was the best Rambler I've seen. Perhaps the realtively weak Gimme Shelter balanced that.

Miss You also had a rough start -- I think that was the one where Keith startled and looked up at Mick, focused. But as we've discussed, mistakes are part of what the Stones do. The music, energy, and focus were spectacular for any show -- let alone this stage in their career. And Mick, as a performer, is unparalleled.

Date: June 22, 2013 17:55

Keith didn't look bored at all. He was soaking it in, smiling, and radiating that he was in his element, loved what he was doing, and loved the attention. It all seemed very genuine.

Nothing Mick did seemed genuine. All artifice. Spectacular artifice. Part of the tension that's kept them rolling.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 22, 2013 18:35

bam
Keith didn't look bored at all. He was soaking it in, smiling, and radiating that he was in his element, loved what he was doing, and loved the attention. It all seemed very genuine.

Nothing Mick did seemed genuine. All artifice. Spectacular artifice. Part of the tension that's kept them rolling.

Yes, this is true, very well said indeed! That's maybe the profound truth about the soul of the band. You need these both elements in the Rolling Stones. Neither Mick or Keith without the other part of the equation could never achieve that something very special the Rolling Stones are.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: June 22, 2013 19:27

Good show. CYHMK! This was the only one of this tour that the whole place stood up the entire time.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 22, 2013 19:45

rollingon
bam

Yes, this is true, very well said indeed! That's maybe the profound truth about the soul of the band. You need these both elements in the Rolling Stones. Neither Mick or Keith without the other part of the equation could never achieve that something very special the Rolling Stones are.

indeed.

Posted by: sittinonafence ()
Date: June 22, 2013 19:50

rollingon
steini
Ok in my opinion this tour has been great, still is and hopfully will be for the rest of it. And i´m thankful and don´t like moaners. But never have i said a one should not be critical. So until now i vote for Under the boardwalk the hardest Stones moment to hear and watch, shiit, no guts, no rock and it´´s like listening to two queers in a karoki singing about the old days under the boardwalk for they´re loved ones.
Allright i´m gonna forget this so on with the rock show!

The song is part of the band's history and the based on the video the performance was really good, maybe the best guest appearance so far IMHO, I like the Stones so much partly just because they are really quite a versatile band, and not always strictly inside one particular genre. I like myself most of their Sticky Fingers and Exile songs and wild 70s live recordings but it's nice that they are also comfortable to sometimes perform a pop song. There are not really many bands like that at all.

Why would I want to see them do a never-performed cover (with a legitimate artist as a guest) that was on their album released in 1964 when the could have given us YGMR or even Streets of Love? This whole tour is truly a gift--even with guests and outrageous pricing. Thank you to The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: June 22, 2013 19:51

(From Boston 6.12.13)

(From Boston 6.12.13)
Another awesome show!!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 22, 2013 19:54

OneHit
with sssoul
OneHit

OneHit, the song is not really much of an obscurity, in my mind. It seems it *was* released as a single in the US:

"The last-minute move was a success, as the single, released on Atlantic Records, went to number four on the Billboard Hot 100 charts and number one for three non consecutive weeks on Cashbox Magazine's R&B chart.[3]"

See Under the Boardwalk, wikipedia

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 22, 2013 20:03

Great pics!! Thanks

Posted by: djrambler ()
Date: June 22, 2013 20:12

RollingFreak
Ok, there's so much to say, and I won't remember it all, but here's everything I can spit out.

I got my $85 tickets. Section 216, nearly the back of the stage on Keith's side. Luckily, its an arena so you really aren't ever THAT far away, and I had a screen right in front of me. But I went with my dad and he was thrilled so I was more happy he wasn't upset which made me less upset. The upside was we got a great top view of the whole stage (minus a hanging speaker which conveniently blocked when someone stood at the center mic).

I've been following this tour and was afraid because I knew the moves it would get old. It did not and it was so much more than I could imagine. I know what some mean about Cloud being an odd opener, but they played it great and its a deep cut so I give them a pass. Also, its one of my favorites so its great to open with me saying "wow, I can't believe I'm seeing this!" as opposed to "Cool, Start Me Up again."

Holy f*&$ was Keith on tonight!!!! It was so immediately evident during Its Only Rock And Roll that I nearly started to cry. The second he started playing some licks, the people in my section had their mouths either wide open in disbelief or applauding widely. He was so friggen awesome which was so amazing to see. I've never thought he was "bad" in the last 20 years as some have, but he was noticeably better tonight. No sloppiness and friggen loving being there. I swear I'm not just saying this. His guitar was clear and upfront, he was shredding and moving around a ton. It was a new Keith. He seemed to be a little less tight starting after Start Me Up but he held through admirably, and there was no way he could destroy the awesomeness of his first half.

The rest of the band: Mick is incredible. I feel bad saying a paragraph about Keith then just a sentence about Mick, but its all you need. The guy is a superhuman and he hasn't lost a thing. He is still one of the greatest, most entertaining frontmen in rock and its a gift to be in the same room as him. Its more that I expect it from him and am more hesitant with Keith, but even with my expectations Mick blows me away every time. I could literally say the same about Charlie. The fact that he isn't dead after that 2 and a half hour setlist at 72 is ridiculous. He's a god. And Ronnie oh Ronnie. He killed as well. It was so amazing to see this band in such amazing shape. Keith was on which I think encouraged Ronnie to play better. His lifting his shirt during his band introduction was priceless! If anyone doubts Ronnie, you should watch some videos of this tour. He's perfect for them in that he nails most of his lead work, has so much fun running around up there, and gets along with everyone. Sorry, but there's a reason Ronnie is in the band and seeing him and Taylor up there, he was a perfect replacement. Thats not something new I thought of tonight, but seeing the two of them up there cemented it for me. They needed someone that played great guitar and moved around more than Taylor and they got that in Ronnie, with the added bonus that I don't think the man is ever unhappy, which helps the general morale of the band.

Now Mick Taylor. It was incredible. I mentioned to my dad "you know they usually do the song request by now..." after Doom and Gloom, and I knew they couldn't forget it as they broadcast it for an hour before the show. People knew and they couldn't just skip it. I really really was hoping for Moonlight Mile. It just could have been so awesome, especially with Taylor. But they got to the request and Can't You Hear Me Knockin comes. After a second or two of "ok, this is definitely a lowball after they gave MM as an option", I was up in a second. I saw Taylor come out and he just friggen wailed. Sounded great, played an excellent extended solo at the end of Knockin, and then came back out and killed it again with Rambler. I've seen alot of videos of Rambler this tour. Either being there was so much different, or this was an incredible version. I saw Keith mouth to Charlie during it "keep this beat going forever" towards the end of the song. It was so immediately evident that the show could go anywhere as opposed to have Stones shows have been in the past that it was almost unbelievable it was happening. Sorry, I've been fine with the Stones for 20 years, but this was different. They play differently when Taylor is onstage and its a crime he's not up there more. They all seem to have a blast and he adds a new energy that everyone in the audience felt. The crowd went nuts for Taylor which was good to hear. My dad, who has followed the Stones since the 60s, is hardcore, but for some reason doesn't know about the Taylor lore. He knows he was in the band, but he never actually researched what his contributions were or how amazing of a guitarist he is. The first thing he said after the show was "he was awesome. I can't believe he played so little". That means alot, as he saw Taylor essentially as how a casual fan would since he doesn't know exactly what or who the guy was and he was blown away. The Stones were plain dumb not to use him more and watching a show its hard to argue otherwise.

Other highlights: I believe it was Its Only Rock And Roll. Mick using the mic stand and dragging it around. Just classic frontman stuff but seeing Jagger do it was ungodly. The opening 6 songs were fantastic. Paint It Black and Gimme Shelter were long but really awesome. They played them so well and Lisa destroyed Shelter. Why they wasted time with guests last year is so dumb. I'll admit, I wanted something other than Whip (Rocks Off, Bitch, Sway), but they played it really well and its a great rocker so it was hard to argue with. It seemed like they didn't want to end it either which was cool. Same goes for Happy. Keith was awesome on his solo section, but he just kept going back to the chorus of Happy at the end and it was one of the longest versions I've seen recently. It was awesome. Mick Taylor coming out for Rambler, playing a little lick, and motioning to turn his amp up. Then two seconds later, he plays another lick and the volume is so loud and awesome. It was perfect. Start Me Up was also particularly strong, and You Can't Always Get What You Want is a dream to see with the choir.

Very few, if any, low points. Emotional Rescue seemed like a bit of a trainwreck. I was looking forward to hearing it, but Mick was totally out of key singing the falsetto and the song just kind of dragged. I thought it would be fun to see, but having that and Miss You in the set is kind of pointless. I don't have a problem with either of the new songs, but both felt painfully unnecessary in the show, especially following Emotional Rescue. The only time I feel they lost the crowd and just killed a great early momentum. Brown Sugar had mic problems with Mick, which didn't ruin the song but was just weird to see. More of a note than a low. Other note: I never understood why Tumbling Dice needs to be an every nighter. Just seems to not get an amazing response and isn't anything special live. Also, Sympathy (while played well) felt unneeded and the set could have ended with Sugar (or, in a dream, they could have replaced Sympathy with Street Fighting Man and ended the main set like that). For some reason, those two songs, along with Miss You, felt unneeded hearing the "greatest hits" portion of the set and could easily not be played every night and the audience would be fine.

Thats about all I can think now. One of the greatest shows I've seen and I've seen a lot. I'm so happy my dad and I had such a great time. He didn't want to go, and he couldn't stop talking about how awesome it was on the way home. That was really nice to hear and made me happy I made the right decision. This tour was awesome and I hope to get a bootleg of this show.

Great review and I totally concur. We were in sec 216 also and the show a blast. Rambler was off the hook. And gimme shelter was great as was CYHMK. This was the third show I've seen on the tour (12/15 Newark, 5/31 Chicago) and each one was better than the last. Great crowd too. And great pics above. Love the Ronnie shot with the cigarette!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-22 20:18 by hooked.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 22, 2013 20:26

rollingon
bam

Yup. As much as I loved Mick, I very much agree. Keith knew he was on and seemed to be having a blast trying to make it a great show. Look at his solo spot. That was a whole LOT of applause just for him stepping to the mic. He was drinking all of that in and it took him about two minutes before he could get a word in edgewise. People were really happy to see him there and he seemed to have a lot of nostalgia last night. I think that translated in the Happy with so many neverending choruses at the end. Keith seemed to genuinely love that everyone was there, and Jagger is just so much more calculated in that way. Not bad, but the difference was definitely noticeable last night.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 22, 2013 20:30

hooked
Great review and I totally concur. We were in sec 216 also and the show a blast. Rambler was off the hook. And gimme shelter was great as was CYHMK. This was the third show I've seen on the tour (12/15 Newark, 5/31 Chicago) and each one was better than the last. Great crowd too. And great pics above. Love the Ronnie shot with the cigarette!

Thanks so much. The crowd in general was really great and really on board. But our section (just because I was there) I noticed seemed really hardcore. I heard and saw people doing the Mick mannerisms, talking about stuff from past on the tour. It was funny that there were so many TRUE fans in that high up section, but I think we made that section fun. It was a lot more enjoyable to be up there but with people that were just trying to make it the best show possible. Just out of curiosity, where were you in the section? I was Row 9. Looks of stuff I noticed in the section. The guy that fell during Miss You were they then had to mop stuff up. That was pretty odd.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: June 22, 2013 20:31

Koen wrote regarding CHMK "Looks like Charlie is drumming a completely different song "

I also noticed that and it looks quite funny, i think it is because of the not so good mic in the phone/camerasmiling smiley?

Date: June 22, 2013 20:36

RollingFreak
rollingon
bam

Yup. As much as I loved Mick, I very much agree. Keith knew he was on and seemed to be having a blast trying to make it a great show. Look at his solo spot. That was a whole LOT of applause just for him stepping to the mic. He was drinking all of that in and it took him about two minutes before he could get a word in edgewise. People were really happy to see him there and he seemed to have a lot of nostalgia last night. I think that translated in the Happy with so many neverending choruses at the end. Keith seemed to genuinely love that everyone was there, and Jagger is just so much more calculated in that way. Not bad, but the difference was definitely noticeable last night.

Keith has really stepped up on this tour. Good to see people noticing. They all have their weaknesses and have aged but I doubt anyone who has seen them live on this tour could claim that thy aren't all giving it 110%.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 22, 2013 20:37

FanFUCKINGtastIK concert last night!!! The band was on and the crowd was into it.

CYHMK, UTBW, WTWCD and Keith's YGTS.

Had my fingers crossed for CYHMK w/ Taylor. Dream come true.

UTBW was pretty radical. They played it great and it just seemed roll. Great sing-a-long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-22 20:39 by MingSubu.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 22, 2013 20:41

RollingFreak

Spot on!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 22, 2013 21:41

steini
... and it´´s like listening to two queers ... singing about the old days

LoFL! What a hilarious image

It's 100% pitiable that someone fails to get how utterly cool it is that they did this number,
and/or fails to dig the joy Keith's getting out of it, the Mick's concentration and Aaron's gorgeous voice -
but that is a wonderfully absurd and hilarious thing to see, under the boardwalk - boardwalk! :E

And remember: Anyone can do rock - that there is the rollllllll

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: June 22, 2013 22:03

Date: June 22, 2013 22:07

wow they are ON! incredible job by the whole band on CYHMK

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: June 22, 2013 22:13

Rolling Freak WOW.
You hit the nail on the head with your review. I couldn't have said it better if I wrote it 100 times.
Way to go!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home