Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lyricicitis
Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: March 25, 2005 22:42

Hello, my fellow fans of the Petri Voluti (actually this is the species of the Rolled Stones but I can't remember how to form the present participium).

Talking about language...

It recently occurred to me that some Stones lyrics are chronically mixed up. I mean, we all know Keith has problems remembering lyrics and actually singing more than five different words in a song. Like as far as I know he's never sung "and it really hit home" live on BTMMR. Wanna Hold You was just nonsensic most of the times and Little T&A, well, that was from the days that he thought his voice didn't need the help of a microphone to be heard.

But Mick has it too. He is chronically (deliberately?) confused in for example these phrases:

Tumbling Dice:
Compared to the Exile original, the "rank outsider" and "lone crap shooter" verses always trade positions. I don't think he's aware of that though.

Paint It Black:
Since '89, it's always
"I look inside myself and see my heart is black,
no colours anymore I want them to turn black" (repetition from first couplet)
instead of the original "I see my red door and it has been painted black".

Rocks Off:
Half the occasions on VL and Licks, he starts off with "I'm always hearing voices on the street". On the FF dvd, coincidentally, the original "I hear you talking..." is used.

IORR:
Can't really put my fingers on it, but something is missing. Is it the "love song so divine"? Have to look that one up.

2000 Light Years From Home:
On the SW/UJ tour, the original "a hundred..., six hundred..., a thousand light years from home" is replaced by a constant "2000 light years". I think to make it appear stronger, but it actually weakens the lyrics. Easier though.

Does anyone know a reason for these structural changes?

Does anyone know more structural or occasional screw-ups or mix-ups in the lyrics?

"I only have my socks of while I'm sleeeeeeping!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-25 22:43 by Limbostone.

Re: Lyricicitis
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 25, 2005 23:09

Hey Limbostone I guess ya wouldn't think it a good idea that Keith have a shot at performing Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues....!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 25, 2005 23:11

Limbostone, I vote for you to be the professor of a class called "Life, and Why You Should Have One". Your post is a prime case study LOL.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: March 26, 2005 01:11

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Limbostone I guess ya wouldn't think it a good
> idea that Keith have a shot at performing Dylan's
> Subterranean Homesick Blues....!!
>
> ROCKMAN

"Johnny's in the basement....mmmmm ehhhhh....it great to be anywhere....mmaaam eh hummmm...Look out kid.....Hit me Ronnie.....Lookin' for a new friend.....mmmmmm uuummmm.....Happy....ummm ehhhehh....You only got ten"

"Thank you very much"

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 26, 2005 02:32

I think it's partly screwing up the lyrics and partly wanting to sing it a bit different than the studio version. One must remember that they have tv monitors at the front of the stage which have the lyrics scrolling so Mick won't forget. I first saw this on the Stones at the MAX video.

There are other songs, like Angie and Like A Rolling Stone where they skip an entire verse. On a song like 2000 Light Years, I've always thought that by sticking with the one number, 2000, it's alot easier for Mick to remember, especially since that part of the chorus has Bernard, Lisa (and Cindy) singing back up so I'm sure it was alot easier to coordinate by sticking with 2000.

In watching the Licks DVD backstage, it shows Keith reviewing the lyrics to Happy so he doesn't screw up, and Mick mentions to Keith that he always has a hard time remembering the lyrics to Hand of Fate.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 26, 2005 04:02

These are just reminders that they are only human, and are also prone to lapses of memory.

Uh, what did I just say? Oh, yeah, lapses are prone...no, no, that's not it...OK, while prone I lapse into.... no....oh, screw it! LOL

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 26, 2005 08:08

Man there is so much goin on when he is jumping and running around out there I imagine. There are 100,000 people sreaming and waving in a stadium. Deafening noise. All they want is "I can't GET no!' and "Its' a GAS GAS GAS". The rest is just rhythmic mumbo jumbo in between. Everybody know this. It sort of defeats the message of the song to stand and read the correct lyrics of It's only rock'n roll..."

Date: March 26, 2005 10:12

Have ya seen Keithy Boy do Love Hurts with Norah on the Gram DVD....Keithy Boy does it in his BEST soulful Everly Bros style...As I watched him sing it a tear tricked down my heart I swear....Beautiful Keith thanks so much man.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 26, 2005 10:39

Lyrics...............Wasted time between the parts where Keith plays. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 26, 2005 10:48

Ooohh Kenty.. I swear ya wont say that when ya see Love Hurts....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dj ()
Date: March 27, 2005 00:26

In IORR, I don't think he ever sings, "...if I could stick a pen in my heart..."

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 27, 2005 00:35

On the 73 tour (Namely the boots Welcome to Australia, Perth 73 and Rock n Roll Stew) he sings something different in the first verse of Brown Sugar. Sounds like "scarred old slaver knows he's flipped up tight" instead of "scarred old slaver knows he's doing all right".

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: March 27, 2005 03:31

I just hate it when Mick sings "you should have herad him just around Midnight" instead of "hear him whip the women..."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home