Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: For Springsteen fans--"Code of Silence"
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 25, 2005 01:36

This song was often the set-opener for the 1999-2000 E-Street Band Reunion tour, and a live version of this was included in the 3-CD set called "The Essential Bruce Springsteen", released in 2003. It's a great song, co-written by Bruce and Joe Grushecky, and it rocks. I threw this in to my E-Street Band playlist for the reunion tour, and it's a great set-up for the next song, which I chose to be "My Love Will Not Let You Down". "Code of Silence" was a missing link in the documentation of the tour, and now we have it.

Re: OT: For Springsteen fans--"Code of Silence"
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 25, 2005 02:25

Its a good song indeed but it wasnt often a set-opener as you say

It was only premiered during the 10-night MSG stand that closed the tour in June/July 2000

I was surprised (and a bit disappointed) that it wasnt on the "Live in NYC" CD and DVD from those shows along with "Another Thin Line" which also premiered at those shows.

Surprised it took so long to appear in the end. I guess he felt it didnt "fit" on "The Rising".

His upcoming album has some very old songs on it, "All the way home" (given to Southside in 1991) and "The Hitter" (played at some solo gigs in 1996-97). Seems he's getting more like Neil Young in taking several years to find the right album for certain songs that he's played live.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 25, 2005 02:30

His new album (and tour) are being produced on the cheap. BruceCo. isn't sure how many fans they've actually disenfranchised over here in the States.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 25, 2005 03:39

You can count me in as one disillusioned Bruce "fan"...although admittedly, I've never liked him in the first place.
His recent meanderings into US politics have ruined it for all the other Bruce fans I know. They've simply had enough of him!

Like U2, the Boss will never step in the footsteps of the true genius musician - Bob Dylan.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 25, 2005 06:32

Hairball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can count me in as one disillusioned Bruce
> "fan"...> His recent meanderings into US politics have
> ruined it for all the other Bruce fans I know.
> They've simply had enough of him!

Yeah Hairball (love that Id) Bruce belongs in the Rod Stewart Club: was really good about 30 years ago.

karl

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: March 25, 2005 08:37

I´m a big Springsteen fan s well, although I never loved his Ghost of Tom Joad project. I hope his new record wouldn´t be like that.
Springsteen has always been political minded, wich is always a very sentsitive subject for many people.

Date: March 25, 2005 11:32

R Wrote:
> His new album (and tour) are being produced on the
> cheap. BruceCo. isn't sure how many fans they've
> actually disenfranchised over here in the States.

considering he's done low-key albums several times before since becoming famous, not to mention doing an acoustic theatre tour from 1995-97 (by choice), the notion that he's doing so this time "on the cheap" due to some deep rooted fear of having no audience left is nonsensical.

and if it's pissed a few people off, well I'm sure he was aware of that and is hardly bothered by it too much. I'll respect any artist who follows his own muse regardless of what it is and isn't a slave to the corporate society and paranoia which is totally ruining much of the recording industry

Date: March 25, 2005 11:54

bartman Wrote:
> I´m a big Springsteen fan s well, although I never
> loved his Ghost of Tom Joad project. I hope his
> new record wouldn´t be like that.
> Springsteen has always been political minded, wich
> is always a very sentsitive subject for many
> people.

contrary to some reports, the new album isnt an all acoustic album. There's some rockers on it, although musically it's mostly a bit quieter and more country orientated.

Ticket brokers are offering premium seats for two (as yet unannounced) shows at the Royal Albert Hall last weekend in May, so it seems he'll be in Europe for a short solo tour just after some US shows. Bigger-scale shows to follow, so I believe.

Date: March 25, 2005 15:02

" considering he's done low-key albums several times before since becoming famous, not to mention doing an acoustic theatre tour from 1995-97 (by choice), the notion that he's doing so this time "on the cheap" due to some deep rooted fear of having no audience left is nonsensical. "

BruceCo. pays for their own recording expenses (no SONY advance) and studio musicians work for scale and go home. The E-Street band is cut in on royalties for any record on which they perform.

BruceCo. pays their own touring expenses (quickly recouped by the 95/5 split he forces on promoters) and hired guns work cheaper than the celebrated E-Street Band.

I never said he had "no audience left" but he has indeed pissed off a lot of them and he won't know how many until he hits the road here. An "intimate theater setting" sold out looks a lot better than a 1/3 empty arena.

Concern over attendance might also be why he's chosen to begin this tour on your side of the pond where the audiences might not have an axe to grind.

These are facts. You may draw your own conclusions as I have done mine.

Date: March 25, 2005 15:20

from what I understand, the tour may actually be starting with a few shows in the US BEFORE a trip to Europe (according to backstreets.com)

Due to the fact that the new album is a mostly intimate affair and wasnt recorded with the E Street Band, its hardly a surprise that the tour, at first, anyway, is expected to be acoustic and aimed at theatres. Playing a solo show at the Meadowlands would hardly work!

Besides, the Reunion tour (1999-2000) also started in Europe

I wouldnt be at all surprised if his potential audience has reduced in the US (although I dont know what sort of parallel universe some of those people must have lived in in the last 20 years if they werent aware that Bruce Springsteen was a Democrat supporter) but I'd imagine he'd be able to fill an arena in most parts of the US still.

Date: March 25, 2005 15:31

As for Bruce's politics, I happen to agree with him. However, I prefer his work with the E Street Band over his solo output, so I probably won't buy the new CD.

I also have the "Live in Barcelona" DVD from the Rising Tour. Fantastic performance--it was great to finally have a complete show documented for official release.

Date: March 25, 2005 18:50

"I dont know what sort of parallel universe some of those people must have lived in in the last 20 years if they werent aware that Bruce Springsteen was a Democrat supporter) "

Democrat is one thing and that's fine and most folks here are very aware Bruce is a dem supporter. Actively campaigning to unseat a sitting president is something else again, although also fine. However that a portion of his audience may feel as though they no longer want to be ''Springsteen consumers'' is just fine too.

Date: March 25, 2005 19:00

Yeah, some people get turned off when any artist engages in political activism, but in a democratic society, the artists have the right to do so. I'm thankful for this. In some other countries, artists who speak up would be shunned, expatriated, or worse.

Date: March 25, 2005 23:49

Bassplayer,

I have an eight year old son who wants to play electric bass. Should he learn on a small six string guitar first - or go straight to bass?

Thanks. ---R

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 26, 2005 00:04

I should probably just stay off this thread - never understood the adulation for Bruce. Best quote I ever heard about him - "he's okay - but he's no Bob....(pregnant pause)...Seger." That about sums it up for me.

Date: March 26, 2005 01:44

R Wrote:
> "I dont know what sort of parallel universe some
> of those people must have lived in in the last 20
> years if they werent aware that Bruce Springsteen
> was a Democrat supporter) "
>
> Democrat is one thing and that's fine and most
> folks here are very aware Bruce is a dem
> supporter. Actively campaigning to unseat a
> sitting president is something else again,
> although also fine. However that a portion of his
> audience may feel as though they no longer want to
> be ''Springsteen consumers'' is just fine too.

of course it is.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: March 26, 2005 02:04

Actually it's not all that surprising that Bruce will have lost some support among his following. While I agree that his politics have been self-evident for the last 20 years (more so in the last 10), one would be hard pressed to find a political message in his first 4 or 5 albums (1973-1980). It was all about what most rock 'n roll is about...youthful exuberance and the celebration of adolescence. Born to Run was released when I was 16. It was pretty much the soundtrack of my high school years. I'm now 45 and much more conservative in my views than I was then. I have to think there's quite a number of folks who fit my profile. I admire Bruce for his convictions, but I also have a lot of respect for the Stones (and others) who choose to remain above the fray in such matters. Just my 2 cents. Happy Easter All!

Date: March 26, 2005 03:09

thats why I clarified by saying the last 20 years, DJ (ie, "Born in the USA" onwards). In particular, the title track and the monologue that preceded his cover of "War" on the tour (and live album) that followed.

But certainly albums like "Darkness on the edge of town" whilst not 'political' per se and "Nebraska" had certainly a darker tone and dealt more with social issues and the disaffected than what he was dealing with on the albums up to and including "Born To Run"

Good post, tho!

Date: March 26, 2005 03:56

R Wrote:
> Bassplayer,
>
> I have an eight year old son who wants to play
> electric bass. Should he learn on a small six
> string guitar first - or go straight to bass?
>
> Thanks. ---R

If he wants to play bass, then get him a bass. What bands does he like?

Date: March 26, 2005 17:08

"If he wants to play bass, then get him a bass. What bands does he like?
"

A pro guitar player friend of mine said the same thing. He likes KISS and Metallica. The simple, budgeoning stuff for now. In all honesty he's as much (or more) into the accompanying bombast and imagery as he is the music. Once the need to practice comes to the fore... well, we'll just have to see.

I hope to take him and his 9 year old brother to a stadium Stones show this fall. The extra pizzazz we all bitch about will help hold their interest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home