Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Bowie at the Beeb
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 25, 2005 01:06

For an in-your-face show from the Spiders From Mars, check out disc 2 of this set. This is Bowie in his Ziggy Stardust heyday (1972) in various BBC radio shows. I now have a 14-song personal concert which is a nice bit of nostalgia, and some great rock n roll. In case anyone has forgotten, Mick Ronson was a guitar god in his own right, and I loved his proto-punk style, plus his classic crunchy sound. This album came out in 2000, and courtesy of my local library, I compiled this WMP set, with Ronson, Trevor Bolder on bass and Mick Woodmansey on drums, with some help from Nicky Graham on piano. It's live, but there were a few overdubs before they were broadcast:

1. Hang On to Yourself
2. Ziggy Stardust
3. Oh! You Pretty Things
4. Moonage Daydream
5. Five Years
6. Suffragette City
7. Changes
8. Queen Bitch
9. Starman
10. Andy Warhol
11. Space Oddity
12. Waiting for the Man
13. White Light/White Heat
14. Rock n Roll Suicide

One more note on sound quality--these are mono recordings, but are far better than any boot you can get from this era. It will rock your socks off.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-25 01:17 by bassplayer617.

Re: OT: Bowie at the Beeb
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 25, 2005 01:57

I got that one too. Great set there. I even have it in the limited first edition with a live concert special CD. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 25, 2005 06:28

BP: Couldn't agree more about Mick Ronson. His playing on White Light White Heat on that Bowie set is unreal. He really was one of the greatest guitarists ever. Certainly not technically proficient, but his sound and his emotion are fantastic. My favorite Ronson "crunchers" besides WLWH are Watch that Man and Cracked Actor off of Alladin Sane and the first three songs on Ian Hunter's first solo album. In fact, his second solo on Lounge Lizard is one of my all-time faves. A perfect example of how to play great guitar with a minimum of notes. Just an incredible sound he had. RIP Mick!!

Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 25, 2005 12:32

Great set. And that special cd is awesome too.
(there's also a dvd).

But I wouldn't say it's the best live Bowie I've heard. But still, great set.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: March 25, 2005 19:18

Does the dvd have the same set list?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 25, 2005 20:52

I can't answer that question, johang--the library version was just the two CDs. I will say, though, that I've read some not-so-complimentary reviews of the DVD realease of the July 3, 1973 "Farewell Show". Given that, the Beeb material of the Spiders From Mars is worth the price--they sound great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1614
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home