Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: Philadelphia-1 June 18 Stones show live updates
Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 20, 2013 00:46

Thanks to everyone posting about the June 18 show in this topic.

I feel lucky to have been there, and jealous of those going to Philly 2.
If you hear CYHMK, will you think of me for just a moment? I was
praying we'd get it last night, ah, well, great crowd, and much
energy from the band, plenty good.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 20, 2013 01:38

DandelionPowderman
Are you going to Hyde Park, kleerie?

I'm going to Rome next Wednesday Dandie, for a week. After that my wife has surgery on July 11 (not a serious thing, but though). And with Taylor only on Rambler ... I'm not in a strong position to go.

But in the first week of September I'll be in Barcelona (deo volente)!

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 20, 2013 02:54

mnewman505
I wouldn't complain about the set lists if the Licks Tour never happened, but that tour showed us that if they want to, they can mix it up big time each night. It's just such a bummer that they play the same "hits" night after night. They have so many great great songs, why they insist on playing "Miss You" and "Tumblin Dice" each night is beyond me.

Really? Is is that difficult to understand those are the songs most fans want to hear? All around me in the pit, were fans I spoke to that have seen the Stones on many tours over the years. Those same fans had no idea what song they'd open with or what the set list would hold. Only us obsessed whackos that frequent this web site know the set lists by heart. Most fans want the big hits and the mega corporation that is the Stones know their customers exceedingly well. Nothing they do isn't precisely calculated.

Date: June 20, 2013 03:46

True, I was there, but OTOH, to be fair, I felt the crowd energy waning when Wild Horses was followed by Dead Flowers (good rendition though, with Paisley), through to the start of Midnight Rambler. ER was good for some of us. I think maybe at times there's not as much difference in hard core fans as more casual fans, except we here usually do like the obscure songs, or less-regularly played ones a lot more.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 20, 2013 05:09

angee
True, I was there, but OTOH, to be fair, I felt the crowd energy waning when Wild Horses was followed by Dead Flowers (good rendition though, with Paisley), through to the start of Midnight Rambler. ER was good for some of us. I think maybe at times there's not as much difference in hard core fans as more casual fans, except we here usually do like the obscure songs, or less-regularly played ones a lot more.

angee, I think it might be a friendly form of snobism: wanting the less popular songs and making the popular ones seem like cheap thrills for the bourgeois. Maybe. It's all good though. I don't know enough about the music so I have nothing to offer. You seem like a good group. The bv person does a spectacular job running this site. Bye.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: June 20, 2013 05:41

Fun show in "the city of brotherly love". Mick said we sang the best of everyone on Miss You and he kept our part going by saying, "One more time" more than one time! Lots of energy from Mick's dancing and skipping. Brad Paisley did a fine job on Dead Flowers and the song sounded like theirs, and not somebody else's. I liked Mick's talking about Philly's 331st birthday yesterday and that the mayor gave them a liberty bell and I thought he said he called it "Rolling Stones week". It's funny about the liberty bell and Philadelphia, which was all founded on getting away from the British, and now we are honoring and welcoming them and giving them gifts because we are friends and love them! It's a good picture for Peace in the world. Our enemies can become our friends. Maybe there's a better way of working out our differences than slaughtering humans. Anyway....it was a good show. There's nothing like being in the tongue pit, though, like my last show. That's a whole different show. In this one, I was straight across from the stage in the lower bowl. I'm happy that I got to see three shows to celebrate 50. The Stones are legends and precious for me. They've got the chemistry. Can't go to anymore shows now, so hoping something will be available again on pay-per-view from the UK. Thank you, Rolling Stones!

Date: June 20, 2013 09:48

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Are you going to Hyde Park, kleerie?

I'm going to Rome next Wednesday Dandie, for a week. After that my wife has surgery on July 11 (not a serious thing, but though). And with Taylor only on Rambler ... I'm not in a strong position to go.

But in the first week of September I'll be in Barcelona (deo volente)!

Yeah, I remember now. Let's hope (for your sake) that he won't all of a sudden get a long set in the park. A dream would be that they played the excact same set as in 1969 smiling smiley

Date: June 20, 2013 09:51

angee

Sometimes the audience is looking at the band in awe, though, being impressed and don't even think of singing and dancing - when obscure numbers are performed.

I remember hearing Monkey Man live in concert for the first time. The stadium went quiet, but the cheer afterwards was magic smiling smiley

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 20, 2013 10:15

So true.....I likely looked stupefied, "Monkey Man, really?!?" But that was one of the the absolute highlights for me, ever! When a somewhat predictable band throws you a curve....wow!

Posted by: LookoutMountain ()
Date: June 20, 2013 10:26

DandelionPowderman
What happened with Keith on Rambler?

Just before he was stopping the band he looked like he was in a trance or something smiling smiley Charlie sure didn't understand his "cue". Taylor and Ronnie were smiling.

Priceless! grinning smiley

Ha! I caught that too. It seemed like KR was kind of drifting away and slowed it down too soon -- the reaction from everyone was pretty funny. Even so, that was probably my fave MR. Great groove and MT was feeling it. Real smooth.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 20, 2013 10:29

LookoutMountain
DandelionPowderman
What happened with Keith on Rambler?

Just before he was stopping the band he looked like he was in a trance or something smiling smiley Charlie sure didn't understand his "cue". Taylor and Ronnie were smiling.

Priceless! grinning smiley

Ha! I caught that too. It seemed like KR was kind of drifting away and slowed it down too soon -- the reaction from everyone was pretty funny. Even so, that was probably my fave MR. Great groove and MT was feeling it. Real smooth.

moments like this are the whole point of seeing a live show, no?

Date: June 20, 2013 10:34

Wait a minute...... I thought people went to shows for warhorses and predictability, not spontaneity. I'm so confused.....why do we go to shows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-20 10:37 by Thrylan.

Date: June 20, 2013 10:50

After all, they don't take any risks winking smiley

Yeah, that Rambler was really good - and long! thumbs up

Date: June 20, 2013 11:02

Is there a video of MR? Sounds special.

Date: June 20, 2013 11:03

I think it is in this thread... Somewhere.

Date: June 20, 2013 11:08

DandelionPowderman
I think it is in this thread... Somewhere.

Think I found it.....back in 15. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 20, 2013 11:17

Thrylan
Wait a minute...... I thought people went to shows for warhorses and predictability, not spontaneity. I'm so confused.....why do we go to shows?

mick will answer your question right here

video: [youtu.be]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-20 11:21 by sonomastone.

Date: June 20, 2013 11:50

OK.....As a diehard, I don't need anyone to validate my card, hardcore, drive my friends nuts, Stones freak for 33+ years since I was 8.....This is the first time on this tour, and in some years, that I WANT to go, BAD!!! I know all about LA, Sway, CYHMK.... etc. That for my money is by far the hottest performance of the tour. MT had to feel good about that. They stretched it, took a risk, and it paid off in spades. I'm not really even a Taylorite, but bad is bad.....damn.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 20, 2013 14:33

Thrylan

That's right. And remember, don't rate the Stones because you wouldn't rate your wife or kids. We don't want special songs we want special moments.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 20, 2013 17:07

fahthree
Thrylan

That's right. And remember, don't rate the Stones because you wouldn't rate your wife or kids. We don't want special songs we want special moments.

i need a moment to collect myself.

....ok...there....wow, that was good.

Posted by: LookoutMountain ()
Date: June 20, 2013 17:45

Thrylan
OK.....As a diehard, I don't need anyone to validate my card, hardcore, drive my friends nuts, Stones freak for 33+ years since I was 8.....This is the first time on this tour, and in some years, that I WANT to go, BAD!!! I know all about LA, Sway, CYHMK.... etc. That for my money is by far the hottest performance of the tour. MT had to feel good about that. They stretched it, took a risk, and it paid off in spades. I'm not really even a Taylorite, but bad is bad.....damn.

Philly 1 MR -- crazy good. The band was hot; to date, MT's most fluid & emotive playing on MR -- if you like that kind of thing smiling smiley

Seems clear he was in a good mood.

Thrylan, I hope you get a chance to go!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-20 19:07 by LookoutMountain.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: June 20, 2013 18:33

Jesse
...wanting the less popular songs and making the popular ones seem like cheap thrills for the bourgeois...

That would be a great title for a forthcoming DVD/live album release...

Date: June 20, 2013 18:58

Zach (Jess' husband),
I'm liking this thread (Jesse refuses to get back on). I like the information on it.

Question: Some of you say you want the Stones to recapture the spirit and passion of the past decades. From the videos I've watched, the band was under the influence a lot while on stage (I know all R&R bands were/are) but is THAT the spontaneity and passion you're talking about? Do you think that made the difference?

I'm no saint re booze and drugs but I prefer this band sober and connecting w/audiences vs lost in themselves, staring at their guitars. I like Jagger's sense of "performing" for an audience too instead of what I always thought was mocking the audience in the late '60s and early 70s.

Date: June 20, 2013 19:24

Jesse
angee

angee, I think it might be a friendly form of snobism: wanting the less popular songs and making the popular ones seem like cheap thrills for the bourgeois. Maybe. It's all good though. I don't know enough about the music so I have nothing to offer. You seem like a good group. The bv person does a spectacular job running this site. Bye.

Hey, Zach, thanks for your post. There may be a little snobbism in there, but I think it's mostly the desire to hear stuff that is rarely or even never heard live. Aside from collecting bootlegs of concerts, many hard core fans go to more than one show too, so there's the desire for the band to perform as many different songs as possible.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: June 20, 2013 19:28

DandelionPowderman
angee

Sometimes the audience is looking at the band in awe, though, being impressed and don't even think of singing and dancing - when obscure numbers are performed.

I remember hearing Monkey Man live in concert for the first time. The stadium went quiet, but the cheer afterwards was magic smiling smiley

Dandelion, like you and Thrylan, same thing happened to me, hearing Monkey Man, first time. It was an outdoor concert, and I think they played it from the B-stage, if I'm not mistaken. My brother and I just looked at each other in amazement, not quite believing it. Silent reaction, and then explosive applause and cheers. (Maybe it was the same show, Chicago?)

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 20, 2013 19:31

Jesse
Zach (Jess' husband),
I'm liking this thread (Jesse refuses to get back on). I like the information on it.

Question: Some of you say you want the Stones to recapture the spirit and passion of the past decades. From the videos I've watched, the band was under the influence a lot while on stage (I know all R&R bands were/are) but is THAT the spontaneity and passion you're talking about? Do you think that made the difference?

I'm no saint re booze and drugs but I prefer this band sober and connecting w/audiences vs lost in themselves, staring at their guitars. I like Jagger's sense of "performing" for an audience too instead of what I always thought was mocking the audience in the late '60s and early 70s.
Not sure where the mocking comes from, I don't think that's true at all. yeah the band was high but so was the audience. The connection was there.

Date: June 20, 2013 19:31

angee
Jesse
angee

Hey, Zach, thanks for your post. There may be a little snobbism in there, but I think it's mostly the desire to hear stuff that is rarely or even never heard live. Aside from collecting bootlegs of concerts, many hard core fans go to more than one show too, so there's the desire for the band to perform as many different songs as possible.

Angee, Believe it or not, I never thought of it that way. Of course it makes all the sense in the world. I'd want to hear something I never heard live too. Thanks.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 20, 2013 19:36

@Angee - You are completely correct about Wild Horses sucking the energy out of the place. Even when performed beautifully, this song is kindof a letdown live. Everyone is ready to rock out and 'here comes a ballad'. Most people sit down, tons of folks go to get a beer, phones come out of pockets. It is not awe, it is awww...

Regarding Dead Flowers.. I think the song just isn't liked as much as people think. I doubt it actually won the fan vote any more than Waiting on a Friend in 97 with Joshua Redman. Brad Paisley and Jagger picked the song which 'happened to be the webvote'. Even in the video it has him 'contemplating which song to play', as if he had a choice. He did, so they should have just done it, but not called it the webvote...

Just imagine what it would be like if Wild Horses was followed by RIP THIS JOINT. Seriously.

Date: June 20, 2013 19:55

Rokyfan
Jesse
Zach (Jess' husband),

Not sure where the mocking comes from, I don't think that's true at all. yeah the band was high but so was the audience. The connection was there.

Rockyfan,
No doubt the connection was there back then. Is that what you guys miss?

I don't claim to have any facts to back my impressions gleaned only from videos and tv. But I reacted differently to Jagger in Chicago: I liked that he was obviously in control of the show. I was surprised that he was obviously a stellar entertainer but also a well-spoken, intelligent man.

Posted by: BeautifulBuzz ()
Date: June 20, 2013 20:01

Rolling Stones Hosted Private Party Last Night

[www.myfoxphilly.com]

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home