Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Philadelphia-1 June 18 Stones show live updates
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 19, 2013 20:00

Just got home from last night's show.. $85 tickets turned into the best seats in the house... Section 113. Thank You Rolling Stones!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 19, 2013 20:14

bv
Mick Taylor moment #1 last night - Midnight Rambler.
Watch Charlie in the background - big smiles!

More here:

[www.iorr.org]

That's a great shot, bv. Charlie certainly loves the jams!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 19, 2013 20:52

andrewt
bv

It was actually great to see how Midnight Rambler started this time here in Philadlphia. I could see both Mick's behind Charlie. Rambler starded and they were face to face preparing. Then Mick Jagger is picking up the harmonica, starting to do his opening part, as he walk on stage with a large deroute all the way over to Chuck. Mick Taylor is following close close very focused. Jagger is walking a big circle on stage like he is doing when he is totally into his act. Playing the harmonica. Taylor following Jagger like a shade. Then they end up right in front of Charlie, like they often do, not just Keith, but Ronnie, Darryl, and Mick at times.

So they keep dueling in front of Charlie and I see Charlie is having this big smile. More and more like every show now he is just a big smile. Having this great view like right in front of him who wouln't smile. So I just had to snap a few pictures t preserve the moment. A typical early Rambler stage event, cranking up the song by the two Mick's.

Bjornulf

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 19, 2013 21:11

bv
andrewt
bv

It was actually great to see how Midnight Rambler started this time here in Philadlphia. I could see both Mick's behind Charlie. Rambler starded and they were face to face preparing. Then Mick Jagger is picking up the harmonica, starting to do his opening part, as he walk on stage with a large deroute all the way over to Chuck. Mick Taylor is following close close very focused. Jagger is walking a big circle on stage like he is doing when he is totally into his act. Playing the harmonica. Taylor following Jagger like a shade. Then they end up right in front of Charlie, like they often do, not just Keith, but Ronnie, Darryl, and Mick at times.

So they keep dueling in front of Charlie and I see Charlie is having this big smile. More and more like every show now he is just a big smile. Having this great view like right in front of him who wouln't smile. So I just had to snap a few pictures t preserve the moment. A typical early Rambler stage event, cranking up the song by the two Mick's.

the moments when the guitarists and mick gather around charlie's drum set are definitely good signs that they are into the music, and fun to watch.

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 19, 2013 21:20

Hey it's not Jess but Zach, her husband. I wondered why she stopped with the site. I see why.

Some of you die-hards complain to make yourselves sound important with each other. Think I'm trying to read your minds? That's what you do, roll with no facts. So I will too.

Some of you are retired old geezers trying to sound "cool and crazy" again, but now you just sound ignorant on posts, just like teens all over the world. How cool man!

Some resent Jagger because he likes a tight ship and money. He's smart enough to know that the Stones shouldn't "imitate" themselves on stage.
(If he weren't in great shape, I'd say his running and dancing would be a joke but he pulls it off because he's in shape.)

I'm sure you Jagger criticizers are flabby and poor.

You don't like vegas shows yet question every unrehearsed bump or glance on stage. I say sarcastically "Hey man, that's spontaneity."

See what I mean? Without FACTS nothing you say means much.

My opionions:

There should be special tours for die-hards, THEN you could complain about song lists. Let regular fans enjoy the old songs they grew up with on the radio.

You do MT an injustice with your whining. You have no idea what's going on with him and the Stones. Yet you place blame.

I see MT wears a slick jacket now, unlike what he wore in Chicago. I'm surprized the purists arent complaining it's too "vegas."

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 19, 2013 21:23

give our love to jess. stonestod is her fave poster ever.

Date: June 19, 2013 21:25

Jesse
Hey it's not Jess but Zach, her husband. I wondered why she stopped with the site. I see why.

Some of you die-hards complain to make yourselves sound important with each other. Think I'm trying to read your minds? That's what you do, roll with no facts. So I will too.

Some of you are retired old geezers trying to sound "cool and crazy" again, but now you just sound ignorant on posts, just like teens all over the world. How cool man!

Some resent Jagger because he likes a tight ship and money. He's smart enough to know that the Stones shouldn't "imitate" themselves on stage.
(If he weren't in great shape, I'd say his running and dancing would be a joke but he pulls it off because he's in shape.)

You don't like vegas shows yet question every unrehearsed bump or glance on stage. I say sarcastically "Hey man, that's spontaneity."

My opionions:

There should be special tours for die-hards, THEN you could complain about song lists. Let regular fans enjoy the old songs they grew up with on the radio.

You do MT an injustice with your whining. You have no idea what's going on with him and the Stones. Yet you place blame.

I see MT wears a slick jacket now, unlike what he wore in Chicago. I'm surprized the purists arent complaining it's too "vegas."

ah yes, and ad hominem attacks against people you've never met posting on a forum for fans of a band is definitely classy, mature, and sophisticated. give my love to jess as well.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: June 19, 2013 21:25

Jesse

My opionions:

LIGHTEN UP ,JACK !
EVERYBODY GOT OPINIONS.

Date: June 19, 2013 21:53

sonomastone

"ah yes, and ad hominem attacks against people you've never met posting on a forum for fans of a band is definitely classy, mature, and sophisticated. give my love to jess as well.

Yikes! You missed my point. You picked up that what I said was offensive and ridiculous because I didn't know people. THAT was my point -- I had NO FACTS and didn't know the bloggers. I said at the beginning that I was going to write without facts the way others were writing without facts. Did you read where I then said "See what I mean, without facts, nothing you say means much." ? That meant my comments WITHOUT facts about PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW, were much like some of the comments without facts made about the Stones who people don't know personally know. They don't mean much. I then separated that section from my comments which were not insulting. I was playing at being conjectural, just like some of you do about the Stones.

My last personal comments which were separated were not insulting.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 19, 2013 22:02

Jesse

I think that's an important point. Some of us are maybe a bit worried because of MT not wearing his long coat. Not because of the coat or jacket itself, but we wonder what it does mean. In fact I don't care about clothes and fashion. If MT would play naked it would be fine. As long as he has that great tone and vibrato.

Send my love to Jesse (I admire husbands who throw themselves into the breach for their wives; it's old fashioned but great; in my case it's always the other way round, I have to admit ashamed)

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 19, 2013 22:04

We do have "talkers" here on IORR, just like you will always have a talker on the underground in most big cities at times. They talk and talk but not erything a "talker" is saying is worth paying attention to. And the police can not just go shoot every talker. The talkers might be irritating, yes, and scary, yes, but they are part of life. Just move on.

Bjornulf

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 19, 2013 22:14

sonomastone
bv
andrewt
bv

the moments when the guitarists and mick gather around charlie's drum set are definitely good signs that they are into the music, and fun to watch.

When Charlie's smiling, you know things are going well.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 19, 2013 22:24

If they want to play 21 songs and go a little bit longer on a few tunes -- fine. Drop one of the new songs and leave the 4 slots for something a bit more obscure from the back catalog. One More Shot can go. Mick really worked hard on Doom and Gloom last night and it was good.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 19, 2013 22:28

I wouldn't complain about the set lists if the Licks Tour never happened, but that tour showed us that if they want to, they can mix it up big time each night. It's just such a bummer that they play the same "hits" night after night. They have so many great great songs, why they insist on playing "Miss You" and "Tumblin Dice" each night is beyond me.

Date: June 19, 2013 22:43

kleermaker
Jesse

I think that's an important point. Some of us are maybe a bit worried because of MT not wearing his long coat. Not because of the coat or jacket itself, but we wonder what it does mean. In fact I don't care about clothes and fashion. If MT would play naked it would be fine. As long as he has that great tone and vibrato.

Send my love to Jesse (I admire husbands who throw themselves into the breach for their wives; it's old fashioned but great; in my case it's always the other way round, I have to admit ashamed)

Yeah, she was nuts about this site for a while and then went cold turkey.

Jess is an academic and I can see her frustration here but I don't think it was against most of you, just a few who, let's say, she'd fail without a second thought based on their generalizations and non-factual accusations. I unsucessfully tried to make that point in an earlier post.

She's a funny lady but doesn't like people who act silly for attention, and there are a few here who do just that. I don't give a rat's ass how people act online but if you're trying to have a discussion, it could be annoying.

Like I said, I'm not a huge fan but I loved the show we saw and was happy to hear their old standards. (Hell, I don't know the songs you die-hards talk about!) I was hoping Sugar Blue would guest at our show but hey, as long as it wasn't the night with Taylor Swift....
Of the band members, I like the drummer, I have music from his jazz group which I love.

Date: June 19, 2013 22:46

i say we start a new thread to petition jess to come back. it's nice having zach here in her stead, but it's no substitute for the real deal.

bring back, bring back, oh bring back my jesse to me, to me!

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: June 19, 2013 22:48

not to get too analytical, to me the show could be broken into 5 distinct parts:

1) intro celebration: first 4 songs no surprises from a setlist standpoint, but I was pleasantly surprised by Mick's vocal inflections and Gimme Shelter was probably the best I've ever seen thanks to Lisa - who is giving it more than her all.. Mick also seemed to be very energized by the crowd, maybe more than usual, but I'm from Philly so a bit biased

2) the "wildcards" - Wild Horses beautifully done, Dead Flowers surprisingly strong thanks to the Paisley injection - great solos by Ronnie and Brad and inspired backing vox from Keith. 1st dissapointment: missing the 3rd wildcard song - quite a bummer, actually, but ok, they were playing great and adding new life into the war horses that came later

3) the lull.. with the exception of some sweet moments in Silver and a smoking HTW (guitars now very loud!) the segment from Emotional Rescue through Keith's set let some air out of the sails.

4) The Midnight Rambler - took the show into outer space - was like a concert in itself.. the two Micks OWNING it and Keith teasing everyone by holding back on delaying the onset of the fast part. magical tune and the definite highlight as mentioned by many others.

5) the war horses - this was my 15th and perhaps last time seeing the Stones and they delivered these favorites with a passionate punch. I actually got a little choked up for a moment during Miss You, thinking that when it really is all over for the Stones, I will miss them dearly. The volume on the guitars was almost too much. ALMOST, which means it was just about perfect. I"ve never heard Keith turned up so loud and he did Sympathy justice for his two strolls around the tongue.

Great show - catch them if you can!

Date: June 19, 2013 23:13

Jesse

My opionions:

Jesse should come back. She had a freshness, much needed on this site.

Ignore the whiners!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 19, 2013 23:24

Fixembones
StonesTod
bv
They dropped a song because the show lasted 2 hours 20 as usual.

hard to argue with logic like this.

The stones have not played in most places since 2006. This is supposed to be a 50 year celebration and the prices they are charging are through the roof. I would think they should be able to play for 2 1/2 hours at least 22 to 23 songs each night for what we are paying.

Agreed, those extra one or two songs are really all we need to justify the prices.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 19, 2013 23:26

Jesse
kleermaker
Jesse

Yeah, she was nuts about this site for a while and then went cold turkey.

Jess is an academic and I can see her frustration here but I don't think it was against most of you, just a few who, let's say, she'd fail without a second thought based on their generalizations and non-factual accusations. I unsucessfully tried to make that point in an earlier post.

She's a funny lady but doesn't like people who act silly for attention, and there are a few here who do just that. I don't give a rat's ass how people act online but if you're trying to have a discussion, it could be annoying.

Like I said, I'm not a huge fan but I loved the show we saw and was happy to hear their old standards. (Hell, I don't know the songs you die-hards talk about!) I was hoping Sugar Blue would guest at our show but hey, as long as it wasn't the night with Taylor Swift....
Of the band members, I like the drummer, I have music from his jazz group which I love.

I think the non-seriousness is a defense mechanism for how heated some debates get. No sense in getting too worked up, we are all Stones fans....I have been posting for about a month, and am starting to get a feel for the regulars. Kind of like you're circle of friends.... some you can talk politics and religion with, some it's better not to. I'm not sure if it's a fun place for the casual fan, but for the hardcore, there's a lot of good info and such. Sometimes the silly stuff is best, check out the "songs with rock" thread that became the "Gomper" thread.....funny.

I also believe there is a certain amount of angst here....we all know the end is near. Even if they do go another 10 years, it will go quick. Relax and enjoy..... certain topics for certain posters.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 19, 2013 23:29

ssprings
Was in section 204a last night - which is wheel chair accessible - 3 fans sitting behind me rocking out in their wheel chairs - Ages: 83, 83, 81 --- No complaints from them - For most people around me , it was their first show - for me #20 - and it was just as spectacular as the previous 19 - Hell, the could play Satisfaction for 2 hours and 20 minutes - and I would enjoy every second of it.

OK, I can beat you, my 85-year-old relative just asked if I could get her a ticket for Hyde Park!

Date: June 19, 2013 23:30

Jesse
sonomastone

"ah yes, and ad hominem attacks against people you've never met posting on a forum for fans of a band is definitely classy, mature, and sophisticated. give my love to jess as well.

Yikes! You missed my point. You picked up that what I said was offensive and ridiculous because I didn't know people. THAT was my point -- I had NO FACTS and didn't know the bloggers. I said at the beginning that I was going to write without facts the way others were writing without facts. Did you read where I then said "See what I mean, without facts, nothing you say means much." ? That meant my comments WITHOUT facts about PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW, were much like some of the comments without facts made about the Stones who people don't know personally know. They don't mean much. I then separated that section from my comments which were not insulting. I was playing at being conjectural, just like some of you do about the Stones.

My last personal comments which were separated were not insulting.

Irony, satire, and other rhetorical devices can be hard to pick up on in a medium like this. Might be something to keep in mind.

Took me a while to get a handle on where some people were coming from on here. For example way too many people think jumpin jack o lantern is serious in his posts when I think he is a hilarious satire of a devoted fan. Perhaps I give people too much credit though.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 19, 2013 23:33

bv
andrewt
bv

Great story, great shot...Charlie definitely having a good time out there.

Date: June 19, 2013 23:41

Thrylan

I also believe there is a certain amount of angst here....we all know the end is near. Even if they do go another 10 years, it will go quick.

No angst here for the end of the Stones. But my next ten years will certainly fly away too quickly indeed.

Date: June 19, 2013 23:56

kleermaker
Thrylan

I also believe there is a certain amount of angst here....we all know the end is near. Even if they do go another 10 years, it will go quick.

No angst here for the end of the Stones. But my next ten years will certainly fly away too quickly indeed.

what if you have a fear of flying? can years paddle away? seems like it wouldn't be as quick that way, too.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 20, 2013 00:02

Fantastic show, great crowd, and good company...in short, a perfect evening. And, yes, the guitars were very loud, but in a good way. No complaints about anything from me, I was just thrilled to be there and really happy I get to see them again Friday night here in Philly.

Thank you to all who posted their upgrade stories and, of course, to bv without whom I wouldn't have known to look for the better seats. Went from 221A, way up top, side view, to 111. Yeah! I thought of you Max cause there were folks sitting where we were moved to who had to leave the seats - obviously they had self upgraded. Can't blame them for trying, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I was a comlete failure at my new i p h o n e, my daughter laughed at my attempts to record video and take pictures. I probably should have gotten it before this past weekend, to give myself a chance to figure it out. But, seriously, thanks to all who do the video thing, I don't think I would want to try even if I was an expert. There are some things I am just not willing to multitask with, and the Stones are one of them!

On a side note, took a drive around the area today, doesn't seem like the safest or nicest part of Philly, for sure. Strange to see cars parked in the medium, is that a Philadelphia thing? I'm going to explore some more tomorrow after my sister arrives.

Fun to see some of you there, hope to see more IORRians Friday night.

Date: June 20, 2013 00:08

StonesTod
kleermaker
Thrylan

what if you have a fear of flying? can years paddle away? seems like it wouldn't be as quick that way, too.

Actually I do have fear of flying, like good ol' Bill. But I have to fly to Rome next Wednesday. Well, all ways lead to Rome, so also airways I guess.

Date: June 20, 2013 00:10

Are you going to Hyde Park, kleerie?

Date: June 20, 2013 00:12

latebloomer
Fantastic show, great crowd, and good company...in short, a perfect evening. And, yes, the guitars were very loud, but in a good way. No complaints about anything from me, I was just thrilled to be there and really happy I get to see them again Friday night here in Philly.

Thank you to all who posted their upgrade stories and, of course, to bv without whom I wouldn't have known to look for the better seats. Went from 221A, way up top, side view, to 111. Yeah! I thought of you Max cause there were folks sitting where we were moved to who had to leave the seats - obviously they had self upgraded. Can't blame them for trying, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I was a comlete failure at my new i p h o n e, my daughter laughed at my attempts to record video and take pictures. I probably should have gotten it before this past weekend, to give myself a chance to figure it out. But, seriously, thanks to all who do the video thing, I don't think I would want to try even if I was an expert. There are some things I am just not willing to multitask with, and the Stones are one of them!

On a side note, took a drive around the area today, doesn't seem like the safest or nicest part of Philly, for sure. Strange to see cars parked in the medium, is that a Philadelphia thing? I'm going to explore some more tomorrow after my sister arrives.

Fun to see some of you there, hope to see more IORRians Friday night.

sounds like a Gomperian experience was had by all! yay!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 20, 2013 00:26

Sound was great last night. The guitars were cranked... You could really distinguish the individual parts and the tones of the instruments were perfectly defined.. I hope everyone who wants to see them gets their own chance. My tickets last night were the best I've ever had for The Stones... 85 Bucks!

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home