Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: 2014 KINKS 50th anniversary, will the band do anything?
Date: June 19, 2013 02:18

isn't lost and found a compilation album?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 19, 2013 02:23

whitem8
In America they had a lot more hits than in England. Come Dancing, Destroyer, were both top ten.

I would love to see the Kinks play a 50 year celebration. They could do it for sure! And fantastic news about Muswell!!! My favorite Kinks album, and simply astounding amalgamation of Blues, New Orleans, paranoia, and English music hall. Sublime!

Actually, only Come Dancing was top 10, and was their first U.S. top 10 hit since Lola in 1970. They had good airplay on rock radio with Destroyer, but not top 40 radio (1981's Better Things made #92 and Destroyer was #85). Their Arista deal gave them a focus toward the U.S. stadium/arena rock audience and they were a good draw in the U.S. in the late 70s and early 80s, but they could not replicate their success on the U.S. charts after their "comeback" with Come Dancing and the State of Confusion album in '83, as subsequent singles (Do It Again in 1985 was #41, and nothing charted thereafter) and albums had less and less impact.

Their albums did not chart in the UK after 1967's Something Else. In the U.S., 1983's State of Confusion was #12, 1984's Word of Mouth was #57, 1986's Think Visual was #81, 1989's UK Jive was #122, and 1993's Phobia was #166.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: June 19, 2013 02:29

keefriffhard4life

No, was a single from THINK VISUAL, 1986 I believe...played on the radio very often in Germany

Date: June 19, 2013 02:44

RawIguanaCologne
keefriffhard4life

No, was a single from THINK VISUAL, 1986 I believe...played on the radio very often in Germany

#37 on the U.S. Mainstream Rock Chart (that is, in terms of U.S. mainstream rock radio airplay), and no chart placing listed elsewhere. The last listing they have for the German singles charts was Apeman (#8 in 1970), and nothing thereafter.

Here's a live performance from UK TV from 1987.

Also on that show they did Think Visual first before Lost And Found. Odd that these songs didn't do better, as the audience at this show seem to like these songs....

From that album, I think Natural Gift should have been the single....

or Killing Time (which was a B-side to Lost And Found in the U.S. and to How Are You? in Europe)....

How Are You? from Think Visual was the neglected single in Europe....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 19, 2013 02:46

Destroyer did make it to no. 3 on the Billboard top 100 Rock Chart, and Better Things did pretty well too. Destroyer was on none stop rotation on the Detroit rock radio stations. They also sold out every time they played the Detroit area. I was lucky they had a late career resurgence in the US starting with Misfits and toured a lot. I was able to see them for every tour up to Phobia, sometimes they played more than once in different cities in Michigan. Which was outstanding to road trip and see them yet again. I was lucky to see them 13 times between Low Budget to Phobia. And their shows were ALWAYS superb, with very nice set lists, always with a few nuggets.
I do hope that Dave mellows out and will play with Avory, and the band gets back to the road for one more tour. That could be very special. Another album to really get your hooks into is To the Bone. AMAZING! Mostly recorded at Konk studios at a small invite only audience. To be there would have been stunning.

Date: June 19, 2013 02:49

As a live record I really like One For The Road double album - the version of CELLULOID HEROES is just so damn great!!!!!!

Date: June 19, 2013 02:51

RawIguanaCologne
keefriffhard4life

its also a compilation that covers the MCA years

Date: June 19, 2013 02:52

whitem8
Destroyer did make it to no. 3 on the Billboard top 100 Rock Chart, and Better Things did pretty well too. Destroyer was on none stop rotation on the Detroit rock radio stations. They also sold out every time they played the Detroit area. I was lucky they had a late career resurgence in the US starting with Misfits and toured a lot. I was able to see them for every tour up to Phobia, sometimes they played more than once in different cities in Michigan. Which was outstanding to road trip and see them yet again. I was lucky to see them 13 times between Low Budget to Phobia. And their shows were ALWAYS superb, with very nice set lists, always with a few nuggets.
I do hope that Dave mellows out and will play with Avory, and the band gets back to the road for one more tour. That could be very special. Another album to really get your hooks into is To the Bone. AMAZING! Mostly recorded at Konk studios at a small invite only audience. To be there would have been stunning.[/quote

yes i have the 2 cd usa version of TO THE BONE and was actually listening to it right now. but that shit on during a sunday october afternoon and chill out

Date: June 19, 2013 02:56

keefriffhard4life

Yes, there is also a compilation album by that name (The Kinks Lost & Found: 1986-1989; released 1991).

"The Road" – 6:07
"UK Jive" – 3:45
"Lost & Found" – 4:16
"Working at the Factory" – 2:58
"Think Visual" – 3:12
"Welcome to Sleazy Town" – 3:50
"How Do I Get Close" – 5:03
"The Video Shop" – 5:15
"Now and Then" – 3:34
"Apeman" – 1:59
"Living on a Thin Line" – 4:24
"Give the People What They Want" – 4:08

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 19, 2013 02:59

I'm a little unfamiliar with the story between Ray and Dave. Why do they not get along?

Date: June 19, 2013 03:03

whitem8
Destroyer did make it to no. 3 on the Billboard top 100 Rock Chart, and Better Things did pretty well too. Destroyer was on none stop rotation on the Detroit rock radio stations.

Another album to really get your hooks into is To the Bone. AMAZING! Mostly recorded at Konk studios at a small invite only audience. To be there would have been stunning.

Yes, you're right, it was all over rock radio back then as I remember. When you mentioned top 10, I was just thinking in terms of the standard top 40 singles chart a la Casey Kasem....

I believe they also played Destroyer on Saturday Night Live around that time as well.

To The Bone is great as well, notable also for their last two studio tracks, often overlooked (on the 1996 U.S. release). The original 1994 UK release only has 13 tracks, so the 1996 U.S. release is recommended because it is a double Cd with 29 tracks.

Date: June 19, 2013 03:33

whats crazy is the 2 cd usa version is missing 2 live songs that are on the uk version even though the 1st cd is only about 40 minutes long

Date: June 19, 2013 03:49

A couple of the TO THE BONE renditions were used in THE SOPRANOS, I´m not like... and Livin On A Thin Line

Date: June 19, 2013 03:55

keefriffhard4life
whats crazy is the 2 cd usa version is missing 2 live songs that are on the uk version even though the 1st cd is only about 40 minutes long

Not crazy, just shrewd marketing, because The Kinks completist--like me--will want to get the UK version for the Waterloo Sunset and Autumn Almanac that are not on my U.S. 2-CD version.

I never noticed that, so thanks for pointing that out--you've just helped The Kinks sell another CD!

Date: June 19, 2013 04:10

I am a lifelong Kinks fan and saw them a handful of times.

Unfortunately, I looked up a clip of Dave's recent shows. It appears he is still very affected by his stroke. His singing especially is not good as he can't enunciate very well. I don't know about his guitar playing.

I know he still records though.

They should try to play a few shows before calling it a day.

Date: June 19, 2013 04:41

yes shame because as others said its not just a band its family

Date: June 19, 2013 04:42

RawIguanaCologne
A couple of the TO THE BONE renditions were used in THE SOPRANOS, I´m not like... and Livin On A Thin Line

living on a thin line isn't on to the bone

Date: June 19, 2013 04:54

RawIguanaCologne

There is a live version of Living On A Thin Line from the 1988 live disc, The Kinks Live: The Road--is that the live version you mean?

Funny that LOATL would be used in The Sopranos, as it's such a quintessentially English song.

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: June 19, 2013 07:50

I work for Dave and I think a Kinks reunion could definitely happen.

Date: June 19, 2013 07:54

jiggysawdust

you work for him now?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 19, 2013 08:10

If you check out the film, Do It Again from 2010, you get the feeling that its Ray, not Dave preventing the reunion...After a Q & A with the producer when the film made its debut, he appears to feel the same way.

Date: June 19, 2013 09:34

jiggysawdust

Excuse me, but this sounds to me total crap. There´s no sign of heading for a reunion neither from the Dave nor from the Ray camp - and, as a die-hard Kinks fan (yes, I know , Mr. Riffhard,"Thin Line" was the studio version used in The Sopranos, and only "I`m Not Like ...." from the "Bone"- live album, shame on me!!!)

I have to tell you: Leave it like that! I enjoyed a lot of brilliant shows from Ray, and many mediocre to bad shows from Dave , did dozens of interviews with both (Dave is definetely a sweet guy, if push comes NOT to shove about The Kinks or Avory!)

Where´s the point in reanimating a band that has stopped 18 years ago?
They had some great nights on their 1995 and 1993 tours, and that´s the way I remember The Kinks. Reunion in 2014 is just phoney to me.

Date: June 19, 2013 09:45

i still get the feeling something will happem in 2014.

btw i just got the PICTURE BOOK boxset new for$53. too bad this didn't come out in the late 90's when it would have been a treasue trove of rare/unreleased material. now with all of the deluxe reissues, bbc sessions, expanded arista and rca albums and a few compilations from dave davies it is not nearly as great as it could have been.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 19, 2013 10:17

Dave has been giving interviews in the past month during his tour in which he has said touring with the Kinks is possible, but not definite. He and Ray are working together on a Kinks' biopic. They also got together for an aunt's 100th birthday a few months ago. So, they can at least stand to be in the same room together.

Date: June 19, 2013 10:20

marianna
Dave has been giving interviews in the past month during his tour in which he has said touring with the Kinks is possible, but not definite. He and Ray are working together on a Kinks' biopic. They also got together for an aunt's 100th birthday a few months ago. So, they can at least stand to be in the same room together.

i think its working together musically thats part of the problem so attending a b-day party shouldn't come to blows

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 19, 2013 10:32

A birthday party for Dave in which Ray stomped on his birthday cake was once enough of an issue with Dave that he ruled out any possible reunion. Those guys have a troubled relationship beyond music, to say the least.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1324979/The-Kinks-reunion-Not-Ray-Davies-stamped-bother-Daves-birthday-cake.html

Date: June 19, 2013 10:46

marianna
A birthday party for Dave in which Ray stomped on his birthday cake was once enough of an issue with Dave that he ruled out any possible reunion. Those guys have a troubled relationship beyond music, to say the least.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1324979/The-Kinks-reunion-Not-Ray-Davies-stamped-bother-Daves-birthday-cake.html

Apparently it all comes down to sibling jealousy on the part of older brother Ray.

In his Storyteller show, Ray describes how heavenly it was in those first years of his life being doted on by this family of women he had been born into.... until he came along, stealing away Ray's exclusive diet of attention.

Thus when Dave is having his 50th birthday party and getting all the attention in the room Ray just can't stand it and has to make a scene.

This pathological jealousy even extended to Dave's stroke incident. While Dave is getting all the attention from people in the room who are attending to him and calling a doctor for him, Ray all of a sudden has an "abdominal" attack and so he needs to be attended to as well, drawing some of the attention away from Dave as people frantically rush to call a doctor for Ray as well--turns out Ray had nothing wrong with him, at least physically....

Date: June 19, 2013 13:06

at least the new dave album shows he has some creative juices left

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: June 19, 2013 13:33

I think a reunion of The Kinks Mk.2(Ray,Dave,Avory,Dalton,Gosling) could cut it.Avory and Dalton play regularly in the Kast Off Kinks and Gosling still makes occasional cameos.There may be some bad blood between Dave and the other guys as he reportedly stopped The Kast Off Kinks from touring the US, as he and Ray have control of the band name.

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: June 19, 2013 14:38

keefriffhard4life
jiggysawdust

you work for him now?

I do.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2042
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home