Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: No Expectations
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 20, 2013 08:48

Vocalion
No Expectations is a Robert Johnson tribute song.

that's how i've always thought about it too.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 23, 2013 12:32

New piece of info. According to the daughter of someone who was there, No Expectations was recorded in the wee small hours of 19th May 1968. cool smiley

Brian was busted 2 days later. sad smiley

Another piece evidence supporting my theory that most if not all of his contributions to Beggars Banquet were recorded before the bust falls in to place.

cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-23 12:54 by His Majesty.

Date: December 23, 2013 12:40

Interesting!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 23, 2013 12:41

His Majesty
New piece of info. According to the daughter of someone who was there, No Expectations was recorded in the wee small hours of 19th May 1968. cool smiley

Brian was busted 2 days later. sad smiley

Another piece evidence supporting my theory that most if not all of his contributions to Beggars Banquet were recorded before the bust falls in to place.

cool smiley

That bust really broke Brian in a big way, both in physical appearance and in musical contributions and interest.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 23, 2013 12:54

Mathijs

That bust really broke Brian in a big way, both in physical appearance and in musical contributions and interest.

Mathijs

Little wonder it's the last real contribution they can remember from Brian, he was crushed by the police and so began his real downfall.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 23, 2013 13:34

Vocalion
No Expectations is a Robert Johnson tribute song.

Interesting thesis ... the song changes the perspective of abandonment in respect to the procedure in Love in Vain. There the abandoned is left on the railway station, here the deserted is the one who is leaving by train or plane ...

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 23, 2017 23:03

During the 11/27/69 performance of "I'm Free" Taylor breaks new ground for the band with that short sweet 20 sec solo (I was delighted that that performance was included in the "Ya-Ya's" deluxe release). His tone and touch has no precedent in the band's history. To my mind the only possible exception for sheer prettiness is Brian's slide work on this song. The use of the song was the most powerfully touching part of Crossfire Hurricane. To hear that song and the beauty of Brian's guitar juxtaposed with the sad images of him lost and alone in the studio is heartbreaking. Unfortunately Keith puts his foot in his mouth with a callous statement about Brian's death. To his credit Jagger expresses what I took to be honest remorse about the situation. That part of the movie has stuck with me.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 23, 2017 23:40

StonesTod
KeithNacho
Its greatness is parallel to its simplicity. A great great song without overproduction and without technical skills, and withouth virtuoso things as well.
Simply marvellous.
They have never made a song this simple and this great since then

streets of love was a contender, but ultimately fell just short...

I was rereading this this thread and this completely cracked me up. Such perfect deadpan humour. I miss StonesTod and I recall from a few years back that people said that he had some health problems. I hope he is better now. I really loved his presence, he was great.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: February 24, 2017 03:09

coming to the party late, so no idea if this is on the other pages

[youtu.be]

A-side

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: February 24, 2017 14:29

They should have played this song in concert more often. So overlooked by the band for so long. They resurrected Moonlight Mile which was a noble attempt to recreate the original masterpiece (loved it but fell far short of studio without Buckmaster strings and Taylor's closing solo). No Expectations would be far easier and more satisfying. Missed opportunity to promote and enhance a true classic.

Date: February 24, 2017 14:54

sundevil

[youtu.be]

A-side

[www.youtube.com]

Not available here..

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 24, 2017 15:54

sundevil

[youtu.be]

A-side

[www.youtube.com]

perfect, beautiful

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 24, 2017 16:29

hopkins

perfect, beautiful

It is, such a great song... One of their best for sure!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 24, 2017 16:37

I consider it one of the fillers on Banquet.
In fact, it´s my least-liked Banquet song (along with Dear Doctor), right from the very start. It just bores me.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 24, 2017 20:48

HMS
In fact, it´s my least-liked Banquet song (along with Dear Doctor), right from the very start. It just bores me.

HMS, your comments about anything regarding the Rollings Stones strongly suggests you work very hard at trolling this board. Why even bother?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 25, 2017 08:48

filstan
HMS

HMS, your comments about anything regarding the Rollings Stones strongly suggests you work very hard at trolling this board. Why even bother?

From what I've read from him, he's very much a children of the 80's - hard rock,
posing, plastic - explains his love for Dirty Work and his dislike of any music
with true soul which he usually dismisses as "boring". Or he's just trolling.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 25, 2017 13:35

With masterpieces like Sympathy, SFM, Jigsaw Puzzle, Stray Cat Blues, Parachute Woman & Salt Of The Earth on the same album imo it´s rather easy to find No Expectations boring - it´s just not the same league, it´s filler. Some may like it but nobody is obliged to do so. Tastes may differ but who can deny that the aforementioned songs are much much better.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: February 25, 2017 15:29

Definitely one of my favorite tracks they ever did. I do like the 1969 Hyde Park version; although, it's a bit sped up and to me. The 73 Nicaraguan Benefit is sublime and I wish we could get an official version - Stones have enough money, release it to benefit another area needing money.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 25, 2017 16:44

HMS
With masterpieces like Sympathy, SFM, Jigsaw Puzzle, Stray Cat Blues, Parachute Woman & Salt Of The Earth on the same album imo it´s rather easy to find No Expectations boring - it´s just not the same league, it´s filler. Some may like it but nobody is obliged to do so. Tastes may differ but who can deny that the aforementioned songs are much much better.

It's Saturday so I'll give this a go. HMS, I believe you are mistakenly looking at the parts rather than the whole of what the Stones have done, not only with BB but with other albums as well. These records are not put together as a compilation of single songs. The songs are meant to flow together creating a mood the band is trying to convey to the listener. If you take the pieces separately, you miss the point. Side 1 flows into side 2. The final song on side 1 leaves the listener ready to begin side 2 as the album moves to a climax. If you take No Expectations from the track 2 slot on side 1, the dynamic changes. Of course, this is what we are used to hearing. What is most important about the track listing order is simple. This is what the band wants you to hear. It is their artistic statement.

While you seeing boredom within No Expectations I hear beauty and emotion. To label this song in particular as filler material is difficult to support, but people are entitled to their opinions. Why list individual songs as masterpieces when the BB album itself is the real masterpiece with all of those songs blended seamlessly together?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 26, 2017 19:54

I understand that some think Dear Doctor is filler. A tongue in cheek country waltz does not have the kick of say...JJF. But lyric-wise it is as good as any song J-R ever wrote. It tells an amusing story, it has appropriate images and there is not a word out of place. Few other J-R lyrics are as cohesive.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 26, 2017 21:11

retired_dog

From what I've read from him, he's very much a children of the 80's - hard rock,
posing, plastic - explains his love for Dirty Work and his dislike of any music
with true soul which he usually dismisses as "boring". Or he's just trolling.

Maybe he sees the Stones as the ultimate 'hair rock' band!
But trolling is the most likely explanation.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 26, 2017 21:19

HMS

I can. And I suppose as not the only one. In my estimation "No Expectations" is as good as any other possible best song on BEGGARS BANQUET. For there are many possible best songs on this album. But "No Expectations" is up there as one of them.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 27, 2017 17:41

I enjoy HMSs new perspectives and yes this could have been a very boring song but I disagree. The slide part is brilliant. Simple? No. Brilliant. The piano is great. So are Mick, Bill and Keith. Could have been a Nick Drake number. I was about to say it's perhaps overrated but no. Maybe it's so canonized and overplayed among fans it's hard to find something new on it. Same goes for SFTD.

Date: February 27, 2017 17:50

Good call about Nick Drake! It's funny that he met Mick and Keith in Italy while they worked on MR.

Date: February 27, 2017 19:26

Beautiful song. Hats off to Jagger's melodic/vocal approach.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 27, 2017 20:31

No Expectations = Perfection.

The overall vibe and atmosphere can transport you.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1982
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home