Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "Worried About You" as an opener?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 25, 2005 12:39

Dont ya reckon they'll open with one of them-there Stones style song...?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 25, 2005 14:28

What do you mean, Rockman?

I agree it's gonna be a short song for opener, but the way MR is described as an opener: man, I would love it...

If I had to place a bet, I'd say Paint it, Black.

Edward

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: March 25, 2005 14:58

The show should open without Darryl Jones (can please anyone tell him that his bass sound sucks with the Stones!) and Chuck Leavell and the rest of the backing line. I feel sick if I listen to Live Licks. Really big sh%t. It has nothing to do with "Rolling Stones". Just bring back Mac and Bill. They all became "music officers" over the last 10 years.

I know it's wishful thinking, but .... otherwise there's no need to think about the opener!

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: March 25, 2005 15:43

Midnight rambler live without Mick Taylor is not the same! They should bring in some new guitarist just for that song. Guests on specific songs.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 25, 2005 16:16

Funny, but every show I've seen them play it in the last fifteen years its been an absolute highlight

Being a song primarily driven by a rhythm guitar, I dont think it really matters too much who's doing the solos

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: March 25, 2005 16:29

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funny, but every show I've seen them play it in
> the last fifteen years its been an absolute
> highlight
>
> Being a song primarily driven by a rhythm guitar,
> I dont think it really matters too much who's
> doing the solos

Spot on Gazza. Just to watch the interaction between Mick and Keith during MR is the highlight of EVERY show I ever saw!

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 25, 2005 16:53

And bringing in a guest specially for the solo of MR is just another way of marginalizing Woody even more. And Potted and Gazza are dead right: even without Taylor it has been one of the hightlights in the shows for the past years... Just take a look at 4 Flicks!

Edward

Date: March 25, 2005 17:07

If anything, Midnight Rambler is one song you can always guarantee that will be played and performed very well. I dont think Ive ever heard a version where that wasnt the case.

The "Brussels" and "Ya Yas" versions are absolutely brilliant and maybe the best two versions around, but its not like any post-1973 versions have been in any way disappointing

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 25, 2005 17:47

Yeah Gazza. IMO those two MR versions are the two absolute best ones. There is another 73 version that is right up there. One of the US shows (so it's 72, sorry).
It does seem like they like to use another superclassic every time around for opener. I thought the worst opener was in 75 HTW. While some tunes are great songs they don't work as opener. HTW was just too damn slow. There was so much electricity and hype in the air for the show. The stage opens, The crowd goes apeshit, the band is all decked out and then here comes this very midtempo groove. It ALWAYS felt wrong to me. Jagger always oversubng that tune on that tour because he was trying so hard to make it rock harder than it does. It sounded forced. And the strenght of HTW is it's midtempo, it's sparseness.
Rambler is another not-so-good opener. Way too much of a thetaric song. IMO by using it as first song they shoot themslevs in the foot and lose one the highpoints in the barometer of the show. The Stones are masters at constructing a show. The tension etc. I thought 72 tour was just the masterpiece of setlist.
I do think that "SFTD" would be a good opener. It's kind of it's turn. And Sympathy works good also in a shortened tight version. GS is too loose. Undercover woud be excellent IMO. Only goes to sahow is Keith agrees that it's big enoug to be the opener for the last historic tour. In the light of this beign sort of the goodbye tour they might use one of the very big ones again. Maybe trade off. Some of the Dirty Work hits would make great openers.

Posted by: Marcia ()
Date: March 25, 2005 20:31

I will not argue about what was the opener, what year and venue.....
I like Worried About You very much, very poignant...as an opener however, a little "heavy". When the Stones take the stage, the crowd is ready to ROCK!
My humble opinion

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 25, 2005 22:42

I think it will a good opener................ in 2020. That or Wild Horses or Angie or Lady Jane or Heaven.

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: March 25, 2005 23:03

so you think they are in a 30 years time loop? repeating their 75/76 tour? i gets difficult: they have opened with all their warhorses yet, whats left? they can only repeat themselves...

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: March 25, 2005 23:48

I say revisit 1972 and open with Gimmie Shelter. Probably not though, since too much of the spotlight would fall on Lisa.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 25, 2005 23:52

tomstones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so you think they are in a 30 years time loop?
> repeating their 75/76 tour? i gets difficult: they
> have opened with all their warhorses yet, whats
> left? they can only repeat themselves...

They've been repeating themselves essentially without fail for 25 years - what's your point? Opening with a warhorse is almost a no-brainer at this point. Same as closer with one. They can't afford to (or don't think they can - same difference) open or close with something that EVERYBODY doesn't know. That's another reason why, in addition to all the other points already made on this thread, they would NEVER opinion with something so obscure as WAY.

Posted by: rocksofff ()
Date: March 26, 2005 00:30

ive always thought "rocks off" would be a great opener...............

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: March 26, 2005 00:36

I'll eat my hat if they don't open with Get Off Of Ny cloud.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: KennedyLetsWork ()
Date: March 26, 2005 01:46

Haaa.. Too funny.

Yeah, I can see that when Mick opens his one-man caberet show in Vegas in 10 years....

Opening chords of Worried About You start, single light shining down on a rose on his keyboard. Announcer softly comes on "Welcome ladies and gentlemen to an evening with Sir Mick Jagger", right into "sometime I wonder why", followed by a nice round of golf claps from the very respectful audience.

Throw in some solo work, some comedy bits, skits... I can see it now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-26 01:46 by KennedyLetsWork.

Date: March 26, 2005 01:58

The idea of the main visual focus of the band (Mick) opening a show by sitting motionless behind a keyboard with most of his body obscured goes entirely against all logic.

Go to any Stones show and that huge rush you get at the start is when the audience get their first sight of him running out towards them. Mick is the ultimate physical performer in music. For him to open a show hidden and seated is laughable.

I think "Paint It Black" would be a fine opener. I dont think theyve ever used it and its a well known stamdard that always works brilliantly in concert. A lone spotlight on Keith playing the intro, then another on Charlie as he hits the drums and with the crowd reaching fever pitch, enter Mick. Cue bedlam

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: March 26, 2005 02:22

What about Gett Off Of My Cloud? Why has this classic song been left out of the set list of their many "modern" tours?

Date: March 26, 2005 03:02

they dont seem to like playing it

apart from the medley with If you cant rock me in 1975-76, they left it out of the set as a song on its own for over 30 years until 1999.

Great song, though and IMO one of Charlie's finest moments

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: March 27, 2005 01:03

in my opinion "worried"--is just shit
Opener---EMPTY HEAERT

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: March 27, 2005 01:03

in my opinion "worried"--is just shit
Opener---EMPTY HEAERT

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1989
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home