Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mick Jagger Tells the Story Behind ‘Gimme Shelter’ and Merry Clayton’s Haunting Background Vocals
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 22, 2013 09:43

I didn't know any of this story. Given how that vocal has been hardwired into my brain for decades, it's totally bizarre to now have a different way of picturing the scene, and that coda when she has the miscarriage is heartbreaking.

Re: Mick Jagger Tells the Story Behind ‘Gimme Shelter’ and Merry Clayton’s Haunting Background Vocals
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 22, 2013 09:55

Great story here you go...............

[youtu.be]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 22, 2013 09:58

I remember reading a previous "reenactement", possibly in Q it Mojo, where it started with her bumping into Keith upon arriving at the studio and not knowing who he was...they hadn't mentioned the miscarriage though, how sad.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 22, 2013 10:37

Aquamarine
I didn't know any of this story. Given how that vocal has been hardwired into my brain for decades, it's totally bizarre to now have a different way of picturing the scene, and that coda when she has the miscarriage is heartbreaking.

Yeah, that would be difficult to overcome, understanding that's why it happened, and listening to the playback over and over understanding that was probably when it happened.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 22, 2013 11:38

CindyC
oh to be her, that must have been amazing, to be able to belt that out like that. Sad about the miscarriage though.

??? - I have a feeling she may have rather missed the sesssion, and kept her baby.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 22, 2013 13:28

I never heard about her miscarriage before - that's tragic. Speechless-making.

As for the "never heard of the Stones" part, it does seem like something's gotten garbled in the re-telling,
along the lines of "she didn't know their individual names or recognize their faces".
I remember reading in the 90s or so that when she saw Jagger her first words were:
"Why, I thought you were a man, but you're just a skinny little boy!" - a wonderful compliment to his voice.

Posted by: witterings ()
Date: June 22, 2013 13:48

So here you can hear it isolated:

Gimme Shelter Isolated Vocals

It`s nice to be here, .....

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 22, 2013 16:39

treaclefingers
pretty amazing story..., but to say she didn't even know who the Rolling Stones were is a bit odd and unbelievable.

That's what I thought. And didn't she give another interview years ago where she said she was disapointed from Jagger cause she expected "a real big man" from papers and TV and he was just a boy .. ?!

Date: June 22, 2013 17:11

witterings
So here you can hear it isolated:

Gimme Shelter Isolated Vocals

truly an amazing performance, really by both vocals but Merry particularly.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: June 22, 2013 18:23

with sssoul
I never heard about her miscarriage before - that's tragic. Speechless-making.

As for the "never heard of the Stones" part, it does seem like something's gotten garbled in the re-telling,
along the lines of "she didn't know their individual names or recognize their faces".
quote]

Great detective work! Also, near the start Merry says"..who are these guys?..." as in who would call me to the studio in the middle of the night!

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 22, 2013 18:42

Merry was a "soul singer" and a very busy young woman at work and at home. She was't someone who listened to rock radio stations.

Re: Merry Clayton
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 22, 2013 19:40

Note for those in Los Angeles:
Merry will be at a screening of 20 Feet From Stardom tonight

[tremoloproductions.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 22, 2013 19:45

And yet another clue to the Doors influence on the Let it Bleed album (GS and MR).

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 22, 2013 19:48

stonesrule
Merry was a "soul singer" and a very busy young woman at work and at home. She was't someone who listened to rock radio stations.

she was also only 20 at the time, therefore what 17 when the stones last toured the usa? there was a lot going on musically in the 60s, i think it's totally believable that she wasn't completely up on the stones.

Date: June 22, 2013 20:05

stonesrule

I assume you two were roommates then...how did she take her coffee?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 22, 2013 22:44

I've written of my admiration for Merry Clayton and also my personal background with regard to the recording of "Gimme Shelter"in other threads so I don't intend to repeat myself now.

The Sixties saw many GRADUAL changes in Los Angeles and in America. Most black singers and musicians did not hang out at the Whisky A-Go-Go, for example. Nor did they listen to and buy rock and roll albums as a matter of every day wants and needs. This was not about segregation. From the Beatles on music kept changing and so did audiences.

In LA, there were few young black men and women at Jimi Hendrix's concerts until 1970 when there were appreciably more at his Forum concert. PLEASE NOTE: I tend to use the word "black" because the people I'm speaking of referred to themselves as "black." In the UK, Hendrix was considered a "rare bird" in many ways, and I'm sure English posters know that it was considered somewhat unusual for a black man to have such a very white following.

Treacle Fingers, I was acquainted with Merry Clayton and was thrilled to have a conversation with her and to see her perform several times, in and out of recording studios. Too bad you weren't there.

Date: June 22, 2013 22:49

Roll73
CindyC
oh to be her, that must have been amazing, to be able to belt that out like that. Sad about the miscarriage though.

??? - I have a feeling she may have rather missed the sesssion, and kept her baby.

You didn't read Merry's story I guess ................

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 23, 2013 01:41

NICOS
Roll73
CindyC

You didn't read Merry's story I guess ................

What - the bit where she says she's glad she made the session even though it mean't the death of her unborn baby? Yes, you're right. I didn't read that bit.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 23, 2013 02:18

Roll73
CindyC

Well yes obviously not at the cost of a baby! That goes without saying.

But I do have a hard time accepting that singing caused a miscarriage. I suffered a few after my son was born, so I am not completely unfamiliar with this subject. If the pregnancy was that fragile, she probably should have been on bed rest.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: June 23, 2013 16:36

stonesrule
I've written of my admiration for Merry Clayton and also my personal background with regard to the recording of "Gimme Shelter"in other threads so I don't intend to repeat myself now.

The Sixties saw many GRADUAL changes in Los Angeles and in America. Most black singers and musicians did not hang out at the Whisky A-Go-Go, for example. Nor did they listen to and buy rock and roll albums as a matter of every day wants and needs. This was not about segregation. From the Beatles on music kept changing and so did audiences.

In LA, there were few young black men and women at Jimi Hendrix's concerts until 1970 when there were appreciably more at his Forum concert. PLEASE NOTE: I tend to use the word "black" because the people I'm speaking of referred to themselves as "black." In the UK, Hendrix was considered a "rare bird" in many ways, and I'm sure English posters know that it was considered somewhat unusual for a black man to have such a very white following.

Treacle Fingers, I was acquainted with Merry Clayton and was thrilled to have a conversation with her and to see her perform several times, in and out of recording studios. Too bad you weren't there.

I consider myself 'bitch-slapped' and deservedly so it seems!

But even still, her saying she'd never heard of the Rolling Stones, in 1969 seems a bit of a stretch of the imagination. Had she not heard of the Beatles either?

I don't think one would have had to listen to 'rock radio' to have heard of the stones.

And yes, too bad I wasn't there, but I would have been a bit too young to have understood the conversation!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 23, 2013 19:03

CindyC

Well yes obviously not at the cost of a baby! That goes without saying.

But I do have a hard time accepting that singing caused a miscarriage. I suffered a few after my son was born, so I am not completely unfamiliar with this subject. If the pregnancy was that fragile, she probably should have been on bed rest.

I agree CindyC, I doubt the singing caused the miscarriage. I've also had a few myself, but much earlier than Merry Clayton's. To lose a pregnancy that far along, there had to be other problems. In those days, you weren't monitored like you are now during pregnancy, so it's hard to know what caused her to lose the baby.

Date: June 23, 2013 21:18

Always thought singing was a positive thing carrying childers, thanks ladies for the inside information...........

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 23, 2013 21:33

latebloomer
CindyC
But I do have a hard time accepting that singing caused a miscarriage ...

I agree CindyC, I doubt the singing caused the miscarriage ...

Rereading the article, where it says "Shortly after leaving the studio, she lost her baby in a miscarriage"
could mean (for example) two weeks later, not necessarily immediately afterwards.
It's sad anyway, of course, but a lot more information would certainly be needed before saying the baby was a victim of the recording.
Thanks, ladies, for making that point.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 23, 2013 21:55

FWIW, for completists, I just got sent the soundtrack CD for the film. It includes Merry's version of "Gimme Shelter," which I thought was a bit anticlimactic, and a few tracks with Lisa.

[www.amazon.com]

Date: June 24, 2013 01:39

latebloomer
I agree CindyC, I doubt the singing caused the miscarriage. I've also had a few myself, but much earlier than Merry Clayton's. To lose a pregnancy that far along, there had to be other problems. In those days, you weren't monitored like you are now during pregnancy, so it's hard to know what caused her to lose the baby.

Sorry to hear that latebloomer. It is a heartbreaking thing to go through, I'm sure more so when you're much further along like Merry was.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 24, 2013 01:50

CindyC
latebloomer

Sorry to hear that latebloomer. It is a heartbreaking thing to go through, I'm sure more so when you're much further along like Merry was.

You are very sweet, CindyC. It was difficult at the time, as I'm sure your's were. Miscarriages are still largely suffered in silence, which adds to the heartbreak. But, it was a long time ago, and now I have three healthy children so I consider myself very lucky.

Date: June 24, 2013 03:50

latebloomer
But, it was a long time ago, and now I have three healthy children so I consider myself very lucky.

Wonderful!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 24, 2013 05:18

hey Ladies this adds much more to the conversation here. reading this thread, sad to say but I never realised Ms Clayton had a miscarriage after her Stones session.

no way to know if there was any connection there. still sad.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 24, 2013 05:37

Roll73
What - the bit where she says she's glad she made the session even though it mean't the death of her unborn baby? Yes, you're right. I didn't read that bit.

WHAAA? THAT'S HORRIBLE, NICOS!!!

How could a mother be glad she miscarried because it made a hit song???

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 24, 2013 08:19

NICOS
Great story here you go...............

[youtu.be]

Talk about striking gold. I mean, that is a moment. A piece of 20th century pop culture, defining a time, an image, a feeling, some kind of change, an overall angst. Ive heard that isolated track a million times and still.. It's so good it never fails.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home